Start by marking “Chihuahua of the Baskervilles” as Want to Read:
Chihuahua of the Baskervilles

Chihuahua of the Baskervilles (Gigi Chihuahua Mystery #1)

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  72 reviews
When the glowing form of a beloved deceased Chihuahua appears, is it a ghost, or is someone teaching a dead dog new tricks - like murder?

Tripping Magazine is a quirky low-budget magazine that reports on travel destinations for believers in the paranormal. A few fake ghosts away from throwing in the towel, the Tripping staff get the tip of a lifetime when they get a call fr
Published August 15th 2014 by Minotaur Books (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Chihuahua of the Baskervilles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chihuahua of the Baskervilles

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I bought this book based upon the advertising blurb, the cover, and the wonderful title which reminded me of a famous Sir Arthur Conan Doyle novel.

This book turned out to be a delightful romp through the humorous ghost hunting, murder mystery, and all to alive haunting of a woman that owns a Chihuahua doggie clothing business.

It takes place in Manitou Springs, Colorado, during the annual festivities of coffin races and wakes of the founding families reenacted. The characters within the novel are
Almeta
Sep 09, 2011 Almeta rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Almeta by: Gusto Dave
Shelves: dying2read
I know I am going to be lambasted for thinking dressing animals up in costumes is absurd. And if not for that, then for believing that there are no such things as ghosts.

Yet these two elements make this book a very humorous read. Don’t read it for the mystery. (In fact after only a week, I’ve already forgotten WhoDunNit!) Read it for the comedy.

And if you know where I can write to subscribe to Tripping Magazine, I am thoroughly interested.
Pam
Allbritten, Esri
Chihuahua of the Baskervilles
Mystery/2011/Minotaur Books/275 pgs
1st in a serie
Present/Manitou Springs,CO
Characters -- staff of Tripping -- a magazine featuring travel destinations that focus on the paranormal -- Angus/editor, Michael/writer, Suki/photogapher
1st line: The heavy tick of a grandfather clock filled the parlor, as if to convince the listener that this was a serious timepiece, despite the Chihuahua toy in a fairy costume perched on its mahogany case.
Comments: fun, nice
Susan
Charlotte Baskerville has built a pet-clothing empire in picturesque, haunted Manitou Springs. But when her dead chihuahua starts haunting her, three journalists from a magazine for supernatural touring, Tripping, arrive: Angus, who believes in ghosts almost as much as he believes in commerce, cynical Michael, and beautiful photographer Suki. They quickly learn that there is dissension in the Baskerville house, and that they may have to ward off attacks on Charlotte.
Suz
I had seen a review of this on Booklist online months ago and I enjoyed the humor of the title. Then I forgot about the book for a bit and was reminded of it during a webinar on mysteries. I checked it out to take on a weekend getaway and was very glad I did. The characters were full of quirks, there were several suspects for various reasons, and it was relaxing to sit back and let the story unfold. I'm looking forward to the next in the series, which is due out in July.
Gusto Dave
Thank God. It's refreshing to find a writer who can build realistic yet unique characters, acting around a fun premise. It's funny. It's charming. And it's so easy to picture it as movie. I don't even read mysteries, but this one wrapped itself around me. Anyone who has a brain will get a kick out of this one.

Gusto Dave
Debra
A cute, fun, book that doesn't tax your brain cells too much. Purely for entertainment value. Yeah, the mystery kept me hanging in, but I'm used to meatier fair. Still, I enjoyed reading something purely for the pleasure of it and am glad I could give my brain a rest for a while.
Bookadventurer
I really enjoyed the eclectic cast of characters that work for Tripping Magazine (yes, until I got used to it I constantly envisioned brightly colored VW's and fields of people lost in a haze of whirly-whoo). The mystery was light and kept me interested until the end.

I really want to read the second in this series, The Portrait of Doreene Gray: A Chihuahua Mystery(6/2012), and was disappointed to see that there have been no other installments since then. Will try to find it, though, as I think
Suzi Q, The Book Dame
I have read remarks that the plot is a little thin and the writing a bit simplistic, but Chihuahua of the Baskervilles is a cozy mystery, so I found everything to be exactly what I enjoy in a cozy. I fit the book in after reading a book with a heavier story line, which I often do and this book hit the spot.
The setting is good and Esri Allbritten is especially gifted at introducing a variety of characters in such a way that I found them easy to get to know and was never confused by them.
The myste
Jenn
Anne-marie
The debut novel in a series for this fresh author. I loved it. Plot line was believable even if the main chihuahua was a ghost!!!! PICK it up and you won't put it down until you are finished. I hope Esri will read this: please don't stop writing. You are great and I recommend this to anyone I can. I read this around my birthday, and I enjoyed it as if it was my personal gift from you. I hope that my novel will be as good (Im working on a novel myself).
Karin
So typical of front range Colorado where the whole "pet thing" is so out of control,it bogles the mind.As for the hauntings:there is alot of that around!A coworker lives in a haunted house which was built in the 1800s,their ghost is friendly and just wants some attention sometimes.Others are more intimidating and scary,things tend to get really lively around Halloween!A fun read based on some real life stuff here in the Rockies.
Jacqui Ainsworth
A light, fun read. I enjoyed the quirky characters, especially the Scottish guy. I couldn't help but compare him with Jamie from Outlander. An enjoyable mystery with a less heavy hand of the teaching moments so common in this genre.

I went to Mesa Verde this past summer. Although I did not go to Manitou Springs, I pictured the town as similar to those I did see.
Lynn Lerch
Tripping Magazine goes to Colorado to investigate a ghost dog that has appeared to a wealthy owner of dog apparel. Petey is he a ghost or is someone doing something to make it appear to be him? The magazine staff who goes there also contends with murder. A fun mystery and I hope there are more with the same cast of charaxcters.
DROPPING OUT
Clever, cute lightweight entertainment, as innocuous as a Sunday night mystery program on television years back (think: Murder She Wrote). A very good start for what I hope will be a dynamic new series. (It's an easy read - I read more than half in my doctor's waiting room.)
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
This was a fun mystery. Interesting concept and unlike just about all the mysteries I've read in a long time. There was a bit of dry humor I would have liked to have seen more of, but perhaps this is the start of a series? A lot of fun.
Jessica
My four-sentence or less take on the plot: It's hard to explain this book in 4 sentences. Angus, Michael, and Suki work for a magazine called "Tripping" which is about supernatural vacations (but an ongoing joke is that everyone thinks it's about drugs). A lady who owns a small dog clothing company swears she's seen her chihuahuas ghost and the group decides to follow up on it.

Rating: 9

What worked: This book was totally asinine and I loved it. The characters are interesting and bizarre.

What didn
Carol Gibson
This is the first in a new series. It was a fun read. The perfect cozy. Not violent or to grim with entertaining characters. I look forward to the next one in the series.
Shannon
This book combined two of my favorite things, paranormal and chihuahuas! Definitely a fun, non-spooky read that will keep you entertained throughout the book.
Lori
It started slow, but got better and more fun as it went along. Will be interested in reading more if this is a series.
Diana Petty-stone
Great story!! A paranormal magazine crew, a mystery, a chihuahua and a lot of laughs! What more could you want?
Marie
This was a lovely, light read. The author's sarcasm was not lost on me. Recommended for a bit of fluff.
Martha
Cute book. I recommend it to readers who enjoy entertaining mysteries with a humorous twist.
Beth Balser
Set in Manitou Springs, a delightful easy story with lots of local flavor.
Patricia Gulley
I have to say, this was much different than I expected. Not bad.
Cute quick read. Nothing great, but cute in parts.
Kim
very light, very humorous mystery
Nick
This was a fun, quirky, lite read.
Cornerofmadness
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Death on Tour (Jocelyn Shore, #1)
  • Desperate Housedogs (Pampered Pets Mystery #1)
  • Top O' the Mournin' (Passport to Peril, #2)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
  • Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)
  • Murder Buys a T-shirt (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #1)
  • Dead as a Scone (A Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #1)
  • Angel's Verdict (Beaufort & Company Mystery, #4)
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • The Lola Cruz Christmas Story (Lola Cruz Mystery #0.5)
  • Murder at Longbourn (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery #1)
  • Death is a Cabaret (Antique Lover, #1)
  • Paging the Dead (A Family History Mystery, #01)
  • Retirement Homes Are Murder
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Naked Ladies (The Darling Dahlias #2)
  • Death at the Chateau Bremont (A Verlaque and Bonnet Mystery, #1)
  • Paws for Murder (Pet Boutique #1)
4561914
ESRI ALLBRITTEN lives in Boulder, Colorado. She is the author of Chihuahua of the Baskervilles, which was also published by Minotaur/Thomas Dunne Books. In addition to her writing, she enjoys sushi, bowling and madrigals.
More about Esri Allbritten...

Gigi Chihuahua Mystery (2 books)
  • The Portrait of Doreene Gray
The Portrait of Doreene Gray 'Twas the Chihuahua Before Christmas Critter from the Black Lagoon: A Tripping Magazine Mystery (Tripping Magazine Mysteries Book 3) Jokers and Fools