Start by marking “Burning Bright” as Want to Read:
Burning Bright

Burning Bright

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Melissa Scott, winner of the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, has been holding down a position as "one of science fiction's most talented newcomers" (The Baltimore Sun) through a string of paperback original successes. With her last novel, Dreamships, she broke into hardcover to widespread acclaim, taking her place among the established names in the field. "A th ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 362 pages
Published May 15th 1994 by Tor Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Burning Bright, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burning Bright

Dec 25, 2011 Gretchen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gamers
Shelves: reread, not-keeping
It's not one of her strongest works, but I really like the world-building and the aliens, and the interaction between the aliens and the humans. There are lots of lovely touches like the description of food, too. It's also notable for showing same-gender relationships, written during a time when that was harder to get published, presented as an unexceptional and ordinary part of life. The ambiguity that characters feel for each other, for various reasons, is also very well-done. The presentation ...more
Kelley Ceccato
Burning Bright was fun and a good enough way to pass the time.

When Lioe arrives on the world of Burning Bright, she’s not thinking about anything other than the Game: the continous video game RPG which is popular with humans across the known universe. However, when Lioe uses character templates of a Burning Bright native, she becomes inadvertently drawn into complex local politics.

As far as I know, everyone in Burning Bright was bisexual, which was fantastic. I also liked that this future world
Apr 24, 2008 JW rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: soft sf fans
Shelves: science-fiction
This book takes its time getting into the plot, but once it does, all is well.

Burning Bright has a lot in common with Dreaming Metal, the other Melissa Scott novel I've read (and really, really enjoyed). There's a heroine who's a spaceship pilot and there are protagonists deeply involved with some form of creativity. Which is part of the problem. In Burning Bright that is basically a fully immersive VR, SF version of World of Warcraft. And in game action is covered in the text. Meh. I'll tell yo
Not my favorite Melissa Scott book, but still worth reading. A bunch of political infighting, interesting worldbuilding, a fair amount of cyberpunk (including the cyberpunk LARPing of the future) -- and of course, this being a Melissa Scott book, everyone is bisexual. Which is nice.
Daryl Clarke
The sign of a classic story is that you cannot place the time in which it was written. I really had no clue this was first published in 1993. Melissa Scott knows how to write hard SF prose that remains timeless. She rivals cj cherryj in her depth of culture and character.
Luck drops pilot Quinn Lioe on the planet Burning Bright, the center of the virtual reality gaming community. She hopes to present some of her new scenarios, but she didn't expect to make as much of a splash as she does. She is taken up by the former leading gamer Ransome, which sucks her into a political conflict between two empires and the free government of Burning Bright. Melissa Scott combines artistry - real and virtual - with political and personal intrigue to create a complex and challen ...more
Not bad! A lot of interesting social stuff going on here -- the entertainment prestige of roleplaying games (a notable gamer in Burning Bright's society has the kind of respect that a talented athlete gets in ours, really) is neat to imagine, and I really like the way that people can just be queer and not have that be a major issue.

The pacing felt somewhat awkward, though; it took a long time for the plot to ramp up and then it came to a pretty sudden stop at the end, with a much darker ending t
I enjoyed this while I was reading it, but the ending seemed rushed, leaving me unsatisfied. The world-building really contributed to the action of the plot, but the gaming sub-plot didn't really seem integrated. As a die-hard Melissa Scott fan, this book from her backlist was notable to me mainly to demonstrate how far she's come in terms of complex, intriguing plotting, and fascinating, well drawn characters.
Burning Bright combines a science fiction space-faring setting with an immersive VR video/role playing game to set the stage for the tale of intrigue and local politics. I really enjoyed the world and the plucky space pilot heroine. The VR game in the story even provides an additional fantasy storyline embedded inside!

Highly recommended for gamers who like a political tale.
An old favorite. I've been a fan of Ms. Scott for about ten years, and this is one of my favorites. I wish there were books on this world, it's such a fascinating and intricate place. The plot, I think, is secondary to the setting. Which is not to say that the plot isn't any good, just that I would like to visit Burning Bright.
Rena Mayberry
In London and in rural Piddlethrethide, Dorset, life is totally different. A Circus-based on an actual one, and neighbor William Blake, printer and poet, interact with three kids. Lively, reminiscent of why my Grammy said, "Don't talk to ME about Merry Olde England." A tough life if you survived.
Elizabeth Mccoy
It has been years since I read this! Possibly a decade or two, even. But I remember liking it, even though the "roleplaying" that is done is more akin to reality TV in some ways. ...of course, there were no "reality shows" on TV back then. I'll go feel old now.
Calamus Library
I should have known better than to try another sci fi.....I am not sure if it is me or the writing, but I just couldn't get into this convoluted story. It was hard to understand what they were doing, where they were and why. I gave it 70 pages and then just gave up.
Great alien/human space opera with a bit of a cyberpunk buzz mixed in.
Lynn Calvin
Fictionwise multiformat ebook
Pretty good. A fast read.
Otopae marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Jerry added it
Sep 30, 2015
Alle Gory
Alle Gory marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Firekitty marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Lisalealea marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Karen Bathke
Karen Bathke marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Karise marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
  • Design for Great-Day
  • The Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • The Final Nightmare (Robotech, Second Generation, #9)
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Counting the Cost
  • Carnifex
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • The Forever Hero (Forever Hero, #1-3)
  • Skyfall (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #9)
  • Last Stand: Bolos 4
  • Digital Knight
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • The Cosmic Computer (aka Junkyard Planet)
Scott studied history at Harvard College and Brandeis University, and earned her PhD. in comparative history. She published her first novel in 1984, and has since written some two dozen science fiction and fantasy works, including three co-authored with her partner, Lisa A. Barnett.

Scott's work is known for the elaborate and well-constructed settings. While many of her protagonists are gay, lesbia
More about Melissa Scott...
Trouble and Her Friends Point of Hopes (Astreiant, #1) Dreamships Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2) Death by Silver