Start by marking “Flambards Divided (Flambards, Book 4)” as Want to Read:
Flambards Divided (Flambards, Book 4)

Flambards Divided (Flambards #4)

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  370 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Widowed Christine marries hard-working Dick, hoping to make Flambards a thriving farm again, but their life is complicated when her cousin Mark returns from the war gravely wounded.
Published June 1st 1982 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Flambards Divided, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flambards Divided

Lynne Kieve
Jun 08, 2013 Lynne Kieve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phair
Aug 22, 2009 Phair rated it really liked it
First read this when it was published in US ('82?) because I am a MAJOR fan of the Flambards trilogy and the TV series based on it. Recall being very shocked and saddened by what happened to my beloved characters so my feelings about the book were not totally favorable.
Reread in 2001 because an online Flambards group was discussing it and found as a more mature reader that I appreciated it a lot more and there was an essential "rightness" to how it finished off the story. I am still not comple
CLM
Jun 02, 2009 CLM rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, uk, series, 20th-century
K.M. Peyton surprised many devoted fans of Flambards by returning to her beloved trilogy many years after its publication to write this controversial fourth book. As far as I can tell, readers love it or hate it (and some wish she had never written it because it is somewhat disillusioning). Yet to me, Christina's continuing saga rings oddly true and I grew to love this installment as much as the three previous books. Note that I do not recommend reading this series (or even comments about it) ou ...more
Flannery
This book is apparently the Godfather III of Flambards so I am going to follow many other fans of the original trilogy and pretend it never happened.
Tabitha Suzuma
Feb 03, 2013 Tabitha Suzuma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favourite childhood author who read my first attempt at a book when I was 17, despite having never met me!
Hilary
Feb 12, 2010 Hilary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kate
I loved the way Flambards in Summer ended so it was hard for me to see the purpose of a fourth book. As the story went on, however, I really came to see how much depth and richness this fourth volume adds to the story. Technically, it’s a better written book and it seems to have a broader awareness of the larger world. The intervening time definitely served to improve craftsmanship. Additionally, while it broke my heart, in the end it made sense that Dick and Christina weren’t successful as a co ...more
Deborah
Sep 16, 2014 Deborah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the first three Flambards books? Want to find out what happened next? Prepare for disappointment ...

To be fair, it's probably a realistic account of what happened next - real life isn't 'and they lived happily ever after', and things do get messy. All the marriages are entirely believable but what struck me this time, which completely passed me by when I first read it (because I was too young), is that the marriages which in the end work do so because the people in them have changed. (vi
Ellie
Mar 14, 2015 Ellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone who wants to be engulfed in a story and not be able to rest until it's finished.
This book frustrated me to an abyss. The novel stressed me out so much- only because I knew the characters were doing the wrong thing, and sometimes the right thing that I didn't work. The way her whole life seems to fall apart pulled me to pieces in every chapter. At one point, I won't to just stop reading it all together because it was killing me wishing the characters were happy. But it was impossible- I had to finish the book just to get closure. I wasn't happy with how it ended, I wanted ce ...more
Melody
Jan 09, 2010 Melody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gee, I really hated this book. It's everything I don't want to read- melodramatic romance with Mary Sue and all the men in the world who can't live without her. Gack. And yes, I read the whole damned thing but only because I had no other book to hand and I was in bed and it was too cold to get up and get a decent book. I would have been much happier if I'd stopped after the first book in this series.
Amy
Feb 02, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps the author was embarrassed that her character was not more plucky/feminist, and so in the sequel she changed Christina's personality. Other characters are fundamentally different too. It's like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I ADORED the original Flambards stories when I was a teenager, and I loathed this sequel.

Jane Irish Nelson
If you haven't read the previous books in this series, then don't read this review.

(view spoiler)
Alicia
Feb 01, 2010 Alicia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Alicia by: no one
Chapters: 15 // Pages: 285

See my critique for the first in series. Will reiterate, however, that I couldn't stand this book. It was a disappointing ending to a story and characters I had come to know and like in the first three stories.
Sara
Oct 29, 2008 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
A re-read; first read sometime in my teens. My least favorite in this series, it becomes too much of a soap opera. *Everyone* loves Christina.
R.
Feb 06, 2008 R. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You would be better off imagining your own book.
Josie
Mar 21, 2014 Josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Rachel
Sep 13, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ariel
Aug 27, 2015 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: histfic
Sob, the Flambards series is over. I finished this last one this morning. And since the author died years and years ago, there will definitely be no more. If you love horse-y "county" English books set before and after WW II written in a beautiful impassioned style, do investigate.
Alice Hardy
Ugh.
Phoebe Lim
Feb 26, 2016 Phoebe Lim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Not sure if I love or hate this book as the way the author wrote it, made sense to me in the end. I feel like we were made to dislike Dick and like Mark more as Mark began to mature slightly. It was frustrating at times to read about the annoying things Mark would do to stir up trouble in Flambards. However, I suppose during the time period this book was set in, it would make more sense for Christina to end up with Mark. (or rather the author implied) Also, glad that Sweetbriar is back!
Anita Williamson
Apr 02, 2012 Anita Williamson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Was the author drunk when this book was added to the series? I like to think that Flambards in Summer ended the series. The characters don't act anything like the ones we had come to love.
Bron Lloyd
Aug 01, 2013 Bron Lloyd rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really struggled with this book, but limped to the end. What a disappointing sequel to such a great first book! Blerk.
Lelly
Lelly rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Inky
Inky added it
Apr 22, 2016
Hattie
Hattie rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Maya Sales-Hyde
Maya Sales-Hyde rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2016
the ending? SPOILERS 2 18 Dec 27, 2012 06:24AM
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • New Chronicles of Rebecca
  • The Substitute Guest
  • Practically Seventeen (Tobey Heydon, #1)
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • Just Jane (Ladies of History, #2)
  • Frances's Story (Quantock Quartet, #2)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Here Was a Man
  • A Spoonful of Jam
  • Elizabeth, Captive Princess (Elizabeth Trilogy, #2)
  • Spring for Susannah
  • Cherry Cake and Ginger Beer: A Golden Treasury of Classic Treats
  • The Case of the Deadly Desperados (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #1)
  • Silver Brumby Kingdom
  • Secret Water (Swallows and Amazons, #8)

Flambards (4 books)
  • Flambards (Flambards, #1)
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3)