Flambards Divided (Flambards, Book 4)

Flambards Divided (Flambards #4)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Widowed Christine marries hard-working Dick, hoping to make Flambards a thriving farm again, but their life is complicated when her cousin Mark returns from the war gravely wounded.
Published June 1st 1982 by Philomel Books

Lynne Kieve
Phair
First read this when it was published in US ('82?) because I am a MAJOR fan of the Flambards trilogy and the TV series based on it. Recall being very shocked and saddened by what happened to my beloved characters so my feelings about the book were not totally favorable.
Reread in 2001 because an online Flambards group was discussing it and found as a more mature reader that I appreciated it a lot more and there was an essential "rightness" to how it finished off the story. I am still not comple...more
CLM
K.M. Peyton surprised many devoted fans of Flambards by returning to her beloved trilogy many years after its publication to write this controversial fourth book. As far as I can tell, readers love it or hate it (and some wish she had never written it because it is somewhat disillusioning). Yet to me, Christina's continuing saga rings oddly true and I grew to love this installment as much as the three previous books. Note that I do not recommend reading this series (or even comments about it) ou...more
Hilary
Melody
Gee, I really hated this book. It's everything I don't want to read- melodramatic romance with Mary Sue and all the men in the world who can't live without her. Gack. And yes, I read the whole damned thing but only because I had no other book to hand and I was in bed and it was too cold to get up and get a decent book. I would have been much happier if I'd stopped after the first book in this series.
Amy
Perhaps the author was embarrassed that her character was not more plucky/feminist, and so in the sequel she changed Christina's personality. Other characters are fundamentally different too. It's like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I ADORED the original Flambards stories when I was a teenager, and I loathed this sequel.

Alicia
Feb 01, 2010 Alicia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Alicia by: no one
Chapters: 15 // Pages: 285

See my critique for the first in series. Will reiterate, however, that I couldn't stand this book. It was a disappointing ending to a story and characters I had come to know and like in the first three stories.
Sara
A re-read; first read sometime in my teens. My least favorite in this series, it becomes too much of a soap opera. *Everyone* loves Christina.
Flannery
This book is apparently the Godfather III of Flambards so I am going to follow many other fans of the original trilogy and pretend it never happened.
Tabitha Suzuma
Favourite childhood author who read my first attempt at a book when I was 17, despite having never met me!
Spider
You would be better off imagining your own book.
Josie
Rachel
Alice Hardy
Anita Williamson
Was the author drunk when this book was added to the series? I like to think that Flambards in Summer ended the series. The characters don't act anything like the ones we had come to love.
Bron Lloyd
I really struggled with this book, but limped to the end. What a disappointing sequel to such a great first book! Blerk.
Sarah added it
Ms. Beak In A Book
Ms. Beak In A Book marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jenny Park
Jenny Park marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
the ending? SPOILERS 2 15 Dec 27, 2012 06:24AM
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • Clover (Carr Family, #4)
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • The Substitute Guest
  • A Garland for Girls
  • Heaven to Betsy & Betsy in Spite of Herself
  • Heidi's Children
  • The Magic Summer
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • The Big Six (Swallows and Amazons, #9)
  • The Wouldbegoods (Bastable Children, #2)
  • Cuckoo in the Nest
  • Spring for Susannah
  • Miss Happiness and Miss Flower
  • Mother
  • Edmund Bertram's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #4)
Blind Beauty Flambards (Flambards, #1) The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2) Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3) Snowfall