Start by marking “Confronting the Controversies: Biblical Perspectives on Tough Issues” as Want to Read:
Confronting the Controversies: Biblical Perspectives on Tough Issues

Confronting the Controversies: Biblical Perspectives on Tough Issues

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Confronting the Controversies is a 7-session group study of "tough issues" based on Adam Hamilton's sermons on these topics. The seven sessions are:

The Separation of Church and State Creation and Evolution in the Public Schools The Death Penalty Euthanasia Prayer in Public Schools Abortion Homosexuality The study is designed as a "fishing expedition," with tools and helps
Published May 1st 2005 by Abingdon Press (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Confronting the Controversies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confronting the Controversies

Karen
Jan 22, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Our class on this book ended Tuesday, Jan. 20th. It would be a good book to read by yourself, but it lends itself even better to a class setting. We had social conservatives, moderates, and liberals in our class and it was fun to hear everyone's viewpoints. We also had a pharmacist and a nurse in the class (which was quite small in number) and they were very informative on the issues like euthanasia and abortion. And of course, the pastor himself had good input.

The author, who is a United Method
NancyL Luckey
Sep 19, 2009 NancyL Luckey rated it it was amazing
This is a book recommended by the United Methodist Women's Reading Program. We used it in a Sunday School group and were surprised at how many times we agreed with the author. I wasn't expecting much of it, because I had just read "Enough" by the same author and learned nothing new. While I didn't completely agree with everything, the author was open-minded about each topic which encouraged the reader to be also.
Some of the controversies were agreed upon by the group as really being "non-issues"
Susan Jones
Feb 15, 2016 Susan Jones rated it liked it
Confronting the Controversies is an outstanding book that has us ask ourselves questions like:What are my views on evolution?The separation of church and state
Prayer in public schools
The death penalty
Euthanasia
Abortion
Homosexuality
Adam Hamilton walks you through the controversies of these topics and challenges you to understand why you believe what you do. Adam provides both sides of these issues and shares with you his own struggles. At the and at the end of each chapter, it includes discussio
Jerome
Mar 03, 2014 Jerome rated it really liked it
I think every Christian should read this book. All too often Christians handle controversial issues in ways that are not very Christ-like. Hamilton lays out the reasoning behind the arguments of both sides of controversial issues and then provides his perspective, with the disclaimer that it is just one Biblical response, not the definitive answer.

I appreciate how civil he is with these issues while still honoring the Bible. Even when I disagreed with him, which wasn't that frequent (or very mi
Alice Beyrent
Apr 01, 2016 Alice Beyrent rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent discussion of seven moral issues facing our society today. The author concisely examines separation of church and state, evolution, the death penalty, euthanasia, abortion, prayer in schools, and homosexuality, giving a brief overview of the historical and legal perspectives of each issue as well as a discussion of the opposing sides of the issue from a Christian perspective. The author does not tell the reader how to think about each issue, but poses a series of guiding qu ...more
Jackie
Feb 20, 2015 Jackie rated it it was ok
The good job of presenting both sides on some subjects like separation of church and state gives this book a 2 star rating for me instead of a 0. The lack of compassion and love was completely unbearable in most parts of this book for me and represents why so many people do not want to be apart of a church community. I was overjoyed when my small group showed the sermon Pastor Adam gave in 2012 which show a development of the compassion and love I was looking for. Keep up the good work of wrestl ...more
Phil Harris
Jul 12, 2016 Phil Harris rated it really liked it
These issues have been forefront in the political "discourse" for a number of years. The strength of this book is not that it provides a final answer, but a reference point from which each person can seriously consider the issues.
Nancy J.
Jul 19, 2013 Nancy J. rated it really liked it
The well balanced approach of each chapter included the Biblical perspectives as well as the more conservative and more liberal viewpoints of controversies we all are faced with today. I was not able to meet in the group discussions, and I don't think I changed my beliefs or perspectives very much, but I hope I will be more tolerant after reading about others perspectives. The book included the separation of church and state, evolution, the death penalty, euthanasia, prayer in public schools, ab ...more
Drew  McCaffery
Jan 04, 2012 Drew McCaffery rated it liked it
I thought the book was good in giving both sides of the coin on various controversies from a biblical perspective. My only negative was the subject of Abortion. It is hard to show your opinion on the subject. Also, his change in the Abortion section going from the struggle of women who have had an abortion to move to the story of the woman placing perfume on Jesus's feet was just odd.

This would be a good book for a religious ethics course.
Dee
Feb 06, 2013 Dee rated it really liked it
Hamilton provides a range of viewpoints - both sides of issues that we all consider. I appreciate his thoughts and perspectives. He often articulates my thoughts, and helps me clarify opinions. Thank you, Adam, for your research and for sharing it. I appreciate the opportunity to learn!
Lance
Sep 14, 2010 Lance rated it really liked it
One of the better books that deals with hot-button topics. The death penalty, evolution, abortion, homosexuality are just a few topics addressed. Each is handled both Biblically and compassionately. A good read for those searching through some tough situations.
Linda
Apr 23, 2012 Linda rated it liked it
I read this book as part of a series my Sunday School class did. I thought that Mr. Hamilton did a good job of representing both sides of every issue and provided some thought provoking material on many difficult issues.
Lyn
Apr 08, 2008 Lyn rated it liked it
Writing the book was taking a step out in faith, but the author failed to become my hero because he was too ambivalent. If you're gonna take a risk, make it really risky!
Ashlee
Apr 27, 2011 Ashlee rated it liked it
I like Adam Hamilton a lot. I make a lot of notes in the margins, (or highlights on kindle ;-) but, for some reason I am left disastisfied when I am done?
Stephen Cotten
Sep 11, 2008 Stephen Cotten rated it really liked it
A really thoughtful analysis of hot-button social issues from a Methodist perspective.
Kimberly
Dec 13, 2009 Kimberly rated it really liked it
He does a great job looking at both sides of the issues. Helps explain the reasons on where I stand on almost all of them.
Roy Pearson
Roy Pearson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Darlene Elyana
Darlene Elyana is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Renee Purvis
Renee Purvis marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Sharon Dodd
Sharon Dodd marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Susan Noblett
Susan Noblett rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Ronald
Ronald rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Larry Dunn
Larry Dunn marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Tami Groth
Tami Groth marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Deb De Vos
Deb De Vos marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Rev. Adam Hamilton is the founding pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas. He grew up in the Kansas City area. He earned a B.A. degree in Pastoral Ministry from Oral Roberts University and a Master of Divinity Degree from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University.

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection has grown from four people in 19
More about Adam Hamilton...