Start by marking “Booth” as Want to Read:
Booth

Booth

A gripping historical novel set amidst the confusion and chaos of the Civil War, Booth is the story of the only conspirator in the plot to assassinate Abraham Lincoln who was not killed or executed--a young man who falls under the spell of the charismatic and captivating world-famous stage actor, and is gradually sucked into the vortex of Booth's insidious plans.

The novel
Published December 29th 1997 by Doubleday (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Booth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Booth

Graceann
Jan 25, 2016 Graceann rated it liked it
It took me a long time to read this relatively slim volume, and I think that's part of why my rating is closer to three stars than four. While the story, by the end, was an interesting one, I had a hard time caring enough about it to put other things I was reading down in order to get back to it.

John Surratt, Jr. was the only one of the accused Booth conspirators to live to the end of his natural life. His mother, on the other hand, was executed along with three others in connection with the as
Aug 03, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Actual rating: 3 1/2 stars

An interesting and creative blend of historical fact and fiction, this book tells about the events surround one of the saddest chapters of American history: the Civil War and the assassination of President Lincoln.

Using trial transcripts, pictures and diary entries, we're taken through the events--for the most part--by John Surratt, the only Lincoln conspirator not to be put to death. (Later in the book there's a short section where Booth takes over as narrator detailin
Angel
Jan 29, 2016 Angel rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. I've never really read a lot on John Wilkes (i like his brother Edwin quite a bit) and i thought this book did a good job of portraying how he'd use his acting skills to get desired reactions from people, explaining why he still killed Lincoln after Lee's surrender and showing the wartime life of Washington. I also found the way the author hinted that Lewis Powell suffered from PTSD to very interesting and made him sympathetic(he's a very small part). The pictures were ...more
Robin
Jul 10, 2008 Robin rated it really liked it
Booth is an historical fiction novel about John Wilkes Booth and the assassination of Pres. Lincoln as told by John Surratt, the only conspirator who was not put to death. I am not particularly drawn to these types of novels but I found this one quite fascinating. I could not put the book down and read it in one day.

The novel is written in such a way as to make one believe it is fact. There are diary entries, trial transcripts and actual photographs which tell the story.

I found this book on qu
Stephanie
Jan 01, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago, and the story stayed with me so strongly, I felt compelled to seek out and purchase another copy when my son began studying the civil war era in school. I have never been a student of history or a fan of the historical novel, but found this story so fascinating that it piqued my interest in both. I have enjoyed re-reading it just as thoroughly as I did the first time. It puts a human face and perspective to a distant and seldom considered aspect of this moment in ...more
Jane Brant
Aug 22, 2013 Jane Brant rated it liked it
Truthfully, I don't think this book ever really held me in its grasp. While a lot of details regarding Booth were new to me, I just felt it difficult to be that interested in his self-serving, rationalized motives and actions. The character of John Surratt telling the story does seem tragic considering how his whole family basically were fooled and manipulated by Booth. History buffs might give this book a higher rating because Robertson does tie a lot of historical background information into ...more
Alan Enderson
Feb 02, 2014 Alan Enderson rated it really liked it
As I like politics, it was fun to learn so much about Lincoln's assassination. This book, although not written in a sparkling fashion, recreates Civil War era Washington very well. I'm still not certain about some of the facts of Lincoln's assassination, such as: how much of a role did Mary Surratt really have in it, was Dr. Mudd an accessory, and did they actually capture Wilkes Booth? I suspect the answers are: yes, no, and yes.
Russell Goodman
I took a break from reading novels so that I could catch up on reading my "Nines" Magazine, the official publication of the Saab Club of North America.

Now, that I'm caught up, thought I'd dig into something that isn't my usual reading interest.
Jason
Aug 04, 2008 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
This book was pretty good. Since the book is historical fiction you have to take everything with a grain of salt, but I found the story line believable. Most of the historical aspects of the novel seem to be accurate.
Amy Darsie
May 20, 2011 Amy Darsie rated it really liked it
While there was a lot of fiction, this was a fantastic read and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction and alternate history novels.
Karen
Clever fictional account of John Surratt being lured into the Lincoln assassination by John Wilkes Booth. Interesting read and well written, though a work of fiction (not fact).
Stephen
Mar 07, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it
A creative retelling of the events surrounding the assassination of Abraham Lincoln told from the viewpoint of John Surratt, one of Booth’s supposed coconspirators. Or was he?
Melissa
Mar 28, 2010 Melissa rated it really liked it
I never realized how incredibly interesting the chase after John Wilkes Booth was after he assassinated Abraham Lincoln! Great book!
Melissa
Oct 04, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
Interesting take on a historical event.... Enjoyed very much.
James Stevens
James Stevens rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Eddie Alcantar
Eddie Alcantar rated it did not like it
Sep 24, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2015
Traci
Traci rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Jul 30, 2016
Leah
Leah rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Rick Shepard
Rick Shepard rated it really liked it
Leisa
Leisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2011
Thadb
Thadb rated it really liked it
May 07, 2010
Debunc
Debunc rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Zesty
Zesty rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2008
Christi
Christi rated it really liked it
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2009
Art
Art rated it really liked it
Mark Brewer
Mark Brewer rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016