Start by marking “In Full Bloom” as Want to Read:
In Full Bloom

In Full Bloom

Ginger Lee has come to New York to be someone-not to be with someone. Yet she's taking too long, according to her mother, who thinks a job is just a paycheck and that the solution to Ginger's problems is a nice professional Korean husband. Ginger could not disagree more, but unable to stand up to her mother, she sets upon a two-pronged plan: She'll sabotage the dates her m ...more
Published March 24th 2003 by Dutton Adult (first published January 27th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about In Full Bloom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Full Bloom

alexandra
Jul 24, 2011 alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful story of a 20-something trying to make her way in the world of work after dropping out of her PhD. program. Add to this her Korean mother who comes for an extended visit, knowing a nice Korean husband and children is all Ginger needs to make her life complete.
Not for my YA's, but I adored it!
Ari
Ginger claims she wants complete independence from her mother, but it's easy to say that she's very dependent on her. She admires her mother and is more forgiving of her mother's actions than others might be, but it also sounds like Ginger's mom is not the traditional strict Korean mother. Ginger's mother disowned Ginger's brother, George after he married a white American woman and so Ginger is all she has left. She is determined to see Ginger marry a Korean man and is convinced Ginger needs her ...more
Karine
May 20, 2012 Karine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The story revolves around Ginger a Korean-American working at a fashion magazine. Right at the beginning, with barely any chance to take a breath, Ginger’s mother arrives in town to find her a Korean husband. Wanting only to further her career, she finally agrees to allow her mother to find her someone suitable.

As the story evolves, so does Ginger, trying to understand being a Korean, born and raised in America, and its challenges within the family infrastructure. Not only are we taken for a rid
Spider the Doof Warrior
This was a good book about a Korean-American woman trying to find herself and fit into the Korean world of her mother who wanted her to get married to a Korean man right away and the American world where she was trying to establish herself and start a career.
I was torn when it came to her mother because she cared about her, but she kept saying how her bloom was fading and how she had better find a man. I didn't like the way she disowned her son George for marrying a white woman either. That wasn
Deborah
Apr 15, 2008 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Ginger's mother shows up and says she won't return home until her daughter finds a Korean husband. Cute story about Ginger's relationship with her mom, best friend, other Koreans and co-workers. The story doesn't have the typical 'happy ending' but that is okay because that's how life really is!
Gretchen
May 04, 2017 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mom is the best character.... not entirely satisfied with how it all turned out.
Danielle T
Oct 16, 2015 Danielle T rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia, fashion
I haven't gone outside the Chinese-American bubble often when it comes to AA fic, though some of the tropes are certainly similar. A fun chick-lit read, blending bits of Devil Wears Pradaesque (still need to read that, but I have seen the movie...?) fashion magazine politics with the 2nd gen story of parents trying to find partners for their kids so they can make grandbabies.

(view spoiler)
Heather Driscoll
Jul 11, 2008 Heather Driscoll rated it really liked it
Ever since I learned Korean, I have been fascinated with the culture.

This is a fictional story of Ginger, a 27 year old Korean-American woman, whose mother is determined to set her up to marry a good Korean doctor. Ginger has no desire to marry, and even less desire to continue with the traditional Korean culture rules. One man that her mother sets her up with turns out to be engaged - and not to a Korean woman. Ginger's mom tries to get her to break up the engagement!

The book isn't only about
Marybeth
This was one of those books that I liked the premise and for the most part I liked the story but I feel like the author went on random tangents. I am not sure if it was the "history" of Koreans or what but I found myself bored with parts of the book. Overall I did like going through the "learning process" with her and I admit I know nothing about the Asian culture so that was definitely interesting. I think I would give her another shot but if the story line didn't keep me with the second book I ...more
Eugene Lee
The most "American" protagonist of the Korean-American books I've been reading lately, Ginger deals with a Korean mom determined to find her a husband, an insanely political (and funny) environment at the fashion magazine where she works, and a long-standing rift between her brother and her mother. Hwang writes with a clear and authentic Korean-American voice that I could completely relate to, and her characters and plot lines are amusing but believable, and real. Truly enjoyed this book.
Katie M.
Jan 08, 2010 Katie M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Chick-lit loud and proud, but surprisingly satisfying. And two thumbs up for making the fashion-magazine-working main character complex enough to actually have A NICE RELATIONSHIP with her meddling, matchmaking Korean mom. Imagine that, an Asian mom who isn't just a hilarious stereotype. Delightful.
Fred Daly
Korean-American Chick lit! The protagonists's mother wants her to marry a Korean guy. I liked that part, and her musings on identity. I did not care for the scenes at her workplace, a fashion magazine that seems to employ nothing but horrible, self-centered, stupid people with pointless lives.
Karen Chow
Jul 23, 2007 Karen Chow rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Korean cultural inserts in the book were interesting, like Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club. I also liked the references to Pride and Prejudice. However, the story was okay and the ending was anticlimatic. I wouldn't read this again.
Jemile Nesimi
Fun beach read. Very Funny.
souffle
Feb 22, 2008 souffle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: polarjelly, jenni-soar
I love this book!! its a great example of how a girl can just be herself. She overcomes her own stereotypes of her family who are Korean and I believe that is a great lesson
Michelle
Apr 26, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought it ended weakly.
Carena
i dont like this book at all.
Rosalyn Park
Jan 29, 2009 Rosalyn Park rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apart from the fashion industry lifestyle, this book is so my life right now.
Lorraine
Aug 03, 2011 Lorraine rated it it was ok
Not bad - more thought-provoking than most chick-lit - didn't like the ending, so that kills it for me.
Jessica Shin
Jul 23, 2007 Jessica Shin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jenny
My mom is bothering me about finding a guy and getting married, so I could sympathize with the character. Cute insight into the Korean culture and all the talk about food got me hungry!
Amy
Aug 02, 2008 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
cute, easy read. Being an adoptee from Asia, I found some of the stereotypes relatable and funny.
Hoan
Feb 03, 2010 Hoan rated it really liked it
I rather enjoyed this read. Great statements and it felt like a-coming-of-age book for adults in a dual cultural world. I thought was also very beautifully written and a bit rhetorical.
sarah
Jan 26, 2009 sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
easy read. interesting insight into culture.
Alex
Alex rated it did not like it
Nov 04, 2014
Jaymadoe
Jaymadoe rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Vincent
Vincent rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2012
Stephy
Stephy rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2011
Jessica Lee
Jessica Lee rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2013
Marsha Mason
Marsha Mason rated it did not like it
Nov 11, 2011