Start by marking “Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (Rurouni Kenshin #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (Rurouni Kenshin #1-3)

Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (Rurouni Kenshin #1-3)

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  520 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Packed with action, romance and historical intrigue, Rurouni Kenshin is one of the most beloved and popular manga series worldwide. Set against the backdrop of the Meiji Restoration, it tells the saga of Himura Kenshin, once an assassin of ferocious power, now a humble rurouni, a wandering swordsman fighting to protect the honor of those in need.

A hundred and fifty years

Paperback, VIZBIG Edition, 584 pages
Published January 29th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1

Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriFairy Tail, Vol. 01 by Hiro MashimaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Vol. 01 by Yana TobosoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba
Best Manga Books Ever
60th out of 163 books — 74 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan
best book for 10-15 yrs written after 2005
322nd out of 379 books — 505 voters

More lists with this book...

Reed Raab
Jun 18, 2013 Reed Raab rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Reed by: Robin Hood
Shelves: manga, owned, reviewed
I so want to give this a 5 star rating (because it is such an awesome manga) but it loses a quarter of a star for the main heroine, Kamiya Kaoru. In the first few chapters she starts out pretty badass, displaying her sword wielding skillz like whoa, wearing bindings like a true ninja, and then just fizzles into the typical whiney fretting female girlie girl character. She runs a Kenjutsu dojo for crying out loud! She’s not as annoyingly enraging as Bulma but she’s bordering on Hiruno Sakura age ...more
Kaleiyah-P
Big, Bold, and Beautiful

I was introduced Nobuhiro Watsuki's work though watching its English-dubbed, anime adaptation. When I was 13, I found its first volume in a bookstore and was too creeped out by the violence depicted in only the first few pages. At the time I didn't understand that when Shonen Jump meant it was for older teens to read, they meant it.

Now that a few years have passed, I've matured enough not to be bothered by the violence. I'd also practically forgotten most of the story and
Rita
Antes de mais, sou apaixonada por esta história. Desde que começou a dar na televisão Portuguesa (tinha eu os meus quê? 9-10 anos?), que adoro Rurouni Kenshin, por cá conhecido como Samurai X. Desde então, ao longo dos anos fui vendo e revendo os episódios, (primeiro em PT, depois em Japonês), as OVA's, e o manga: tudo através da internet.

Foi então, há coisa de quatro anos, que descobri estas edições da VizBig (3 volumes em 1 em Inglês) do manga de Rurouni Kensin e não pude deixar de as começar
Kayla
I LOVE Rurouni Kenshin!!! This is the series that got me into manga and anime. Not only are all of the main characters lovable and well developed, but the story is great (as well as hilarious and heart-wrenching). The artwork is also really wonderful and beautiful.

RK is the kind of series that you can read over and over and over again and still enjoy. For me I've yet to find any other 'samurai' manga that can compare.
Dustyanne
A great way to submerse yourself into the historical Meiji period, even though it was a fictional story.

Personally, I really enjoyed the sad story of kenshin, and learning the different moves that the swordsman use during their fights.
Keiran Thegreat
This acclaimed manga fully deserves its reputation. Set in 19th century Japan this is the story of an ex-warrior who is atoning for a bloody past by helping people and defending those who need his skill. Although action-driven there is a strong plot and the characters are suitably interesting and distinctive.
The artwork is in a very typical manga style but is certainly very good within this genre.

This kind of manga is known as Shonen, manga with young/ teen characters and a lot of action and f
Zarakoda
A pretty basic plotline, but this is just book one. I'll probably be continuing the series.
Caroline
I'm late jumping into this series, and this was actually my first exposure to it outside of small clips I'd seen here and there of the anime. I was pleasantly surprised! Some excellent art, fun characters, and the setting of the Meiji Restoration is always fascinating to me. The turbulent time where samurai were losing their place in society to guns, Western garb and other technologies really makes for a dramatic back-drop.

Kaoru was a bit on the uninteresting side, and I was disappointed that sh
Eric Class
Rurouni Kenshin is a timeless manga, or japanese comic, which started up my love for reading in my teenage years. It is about a samurai without a master, Himura Kenshin, and his journey to find a place called home, while protecting those he cares about with a reverse blade sword, specifically made to injure, but not kill, his enemies. He finds a home and a friend with Kamiya Karou, head of a local dojo in the city he had just entered. Protecting her from bandits who wanted to steal her dojo and ...more
Stef
swordfighting. OK. my martial artist kids might enjoy this more, though I question educational value and use of time.
Amy
Enjoyable but a wasted opportunity in the character of Kaoru.
H.M.
Shameless promotion: Rurouni Kenshin is one of my favourite mangas. I'm a sucker for good manga featuring samurai (number one reason why I love Samurai Deeper Kyo as much as I do despite all of its flaws) and RuroKen is in my top favourites for a good reason. It's also pretty good with the history – something else I love – and it's part of the reason why I did research into the period of the Bakumatsu. Plus, I get my favourite character, Sanosuke, to make things even better, so I'm definitely no ...more
Chelle (crazytrinket)
Now I know why so many people raved and loved this series. They are right! This manga series was full of awesomeness!

Definitely a favorite read of 2015. I can't wait to devour the rest!
Jesus Flores
I saw tat there was a 3-in-1 edition so decided to give a read, since I liked the anime when I saw it some time ago.
The drawing is great, and the fighting scenes are really dynamic.

This book has the initial lets meet our characters chapters, that really help stablish them. Then we have the oniwabanshu - opium - megumi. That is a great arc.

Also nice edition, some colored pages, lots of characters descriptions and how concept art was tought or based on. A nice buy.
Kate
Reading these chapters brings back memories from when I watched the anime by the same title on Cartoon Network's once upon a time daily Toonami block nearly eight years ago. True, the art is dated, but the story is fun. After I finished this first combined edition (three volumes in one), I ordered the OAV Trust & Betrayal even though that storyline happens years before the manga's (back when Kenshin worked as an assassin) I felt so nostalgic. :)
Starbubbles
Yeah, I know I have read this one before. But now I'm raiding Borders (as they are closing their doors, and selling at fairly decent discounts), and this series shall be mine! Well, as much as I can afford anyway.

I love how there were colored images in this, as well as they keeping the commentary. Let's face it, it's tough to mess this up. I just hope I can stomach not having the entire series for a while. hahah!
Aaron
The start of a great story.

The anime is excellent. Well at least highlights of the first season and all of the second. I was curious to see how the manga compared to the anime (one of my personal favorite) and I wasn't disappointed. If you're not already a fan, this will probably start off as a little slow, and probably cliche, but once it gets going, it really takes off. Enjoy!
Forrest Norvell
Delightfully frothy nonsense with enough Meiji-era history to keep the story interesting. Definitely more entertaining if you know enough about Japanese history to understand how ambivalent most of the characters (particularly the title character) are about how the era squared up with their expectations.
Danielle
I am not sure I can put my finger on why I liked this one so much, but I think it might have to do with the mix of fictional history, humor, heart and action that creates a fun read through and through. I can see why this is such a popular series and I really look forward to continuing it.
Kerry
Another great read. The fight scenes are amazing (if you like that sort of thing). I've actually read most of the series and have started collecting the large format books. Now if VIZ would just start releasing some of their other titles like this I would totally run out and buy them!
Mandy
This is one of my favorite manga and anime of all time. The story is based on the historical Edo period in Japan, when samurai were no longer allowed to carry a sword.
Pebel
In love!!!! <3 I've always been a fan of Kenshin... but reading this manga was absolutely beautiful. Lovely in every single way. Definitely reading all of them.
Lord
Jul 15, 2008 Lord rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
An absolute sexy book. First three volumes of a classic Rurouni Kenshin manga in a bigger format, with lots of color pages and bonuses for a good price? Count me in!
Amy
Had to read this version because it is three in one like the second volume I picked up. Again, the anime is a mirror of the manga thus far.
Hailee
*reread April 2014*
Alvina
I want a ruroini
Yousra
Yousra is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
  • X, Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Hot Gimmick, Volume 1 (Hot Gimmick Omnibus Edition, #1)
  • Inuyasha, Volume 2 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 5: Focus Your Mind as One! (Yu Yu Hakusho, #5)
  • Trigun: Deep Space Planet Future Gun Action!! #2 (Trigun, #2)
  • Bakuman, Volume 3: Debüt und Ungeduld
  • Claymore, Vol. 05: The Slashers (Claymore, #5)
  • Fushigi Yugi: VizBig Edition, Volume 4
  • Berserk, Vol. 02
Watsuki Nobuhiro (和月 伸宏) is a Japanese manga artist, best known for his samurai-themed series Rurouni Kenshin. He once worked as an assistant for his favorite author Takeshi Obata.
More about Nobuhiro Watsuki...

Rurouni Kenshin (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (Rurouni Kenshin, #1)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 2 (Rurouni Kenshin, #2)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 3 (Rurouni Kenshin, #3)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 4 (Rurouni Kenshin, #4)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 5 (Rurouni Kenshin, #5)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 6 (Rurouni Kenshin, #6)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 7 (Rurouni Kenshin, #7)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 8 (Rurouni Kenshin, #8)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 9 (Rurouni Kenshin, #9)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 10 (Rurouni Kenshin, #10)
Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (Rurouni Kenshin, #1) Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 3 (Rurouni Kenshin, #3) Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 2 (Rurouni Kenshin, #2) Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 4 (Rurouni Kenshin, #4) Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 8 (Rurouni Kenshin, #8)