Start by marking “This Song Is (Not) for You” as Want to Read:
This Song Is (Not) for You

This Song Is (Not) for You

Bandmate, best friend or boyfriend? For Ramona, one choice could mean losing them all.

Ramona and Sam are best friends. She fell for him the moment they met, but their friendship is just too important for her to mess up. Sam loves April, but he would never expect her to feel the same way--she's too quirky and cool for someone like him. Together, they have a band, and put a
Published January 5th 2016 by Sourcebooks (first published January 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about This Song Is (Not) for You, please sign up.

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
description

Although there are some good aspects in this book I really can't deny that this is like my worst nightmare.

This is the first novel I read about Laura Nowlin although I seen her name before and was planning to read her other book. I really like her writing, and sadly that is the only thing I can say about this novel. Oh and I appreciated the book's effort to explore asexuality although it failed miserably. The love triangle was just.. a mess.

It really dragged, it keeps readers reading because it
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)

“So here’s the plan,” I say. I am taking Ramona glitter bombing.

This was a slightly strange story, about three teens and their relationships.

Ramona was a bit of an odd character, and she always seemed to be hyperactive about something. Tom was a quiet boy who liked glitter a lot, and liked to do illegal things like putting fish into fountains, and Sam seemed the most
Laura Nowlin
Sep 24, 2015 Laura Nowlin rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book is not for you.
Hannah *BeneaththeInk*
And I realized that maybe Tom was good for us. It’s good for Ramona to have someone to pull the rug out from under her every once and awhile. She turned and smiled at me. And I realized that it’s probably good for me to have another person between me and Ramona.

Um.

This is not at all what I expected.

*spoilers*

Polyamory. Strangeness. Music without descriptions. Love without conviction.
Amber (bookstacksamber)
Not sure where my review went!

I picked up this one because it has an ace character and , and it had an unexpected polyamorous aspect that I was pleasantly surprised about. I loved all three of the main characters and their individual POVs. The way the relationship played out between all three characters was so interesting. I loved seeing how they grew closer and how Ramona and Sam's dynamic changed as they added Tom into their small friend group and band. I highly recommend picking this one up!
Christina
My original review of this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Quick Thoughts and Rating: 2.5-3 stars! It's been weeks since I've read this book and I'm still not quite sure how I felt about it. It was...slightly weird--some
Chelsey the crazy cat lady
I wouldn't say I loved this book. I enjoyed it and the love triangle but then that kinda got weird towards the end. She should have chosen one person. I liked how there band was different and they weren't afraid what others thought
Fatima
Dec 22, 2015 Fatima rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

Okay, so, I read the synopsis of this book and thought, "Ooh look, a book with a love triangle!" I have nothing against love triangles, in fact, if written well, most of them are right up my alley! So when I got accepted for this book on NG, let's just say... I immediately delved into it. The love triangle totally turned out to be more than what I expected, which I'll be discussing below.

I star
Rachel Geiger
This Song Is (Not) for You takes the love triangle and gives it an unexpected twist. (view spoiler)

As a lover of music, this book was right up my alley. Some of the narration was a little confusing since it went back and forth between the three main characters, but it was still nice to get to see what all of the characters were thinking.

I'll release a full review closer to publication, but this i
Joanna Marie
Jan 19, 2016 Joanna Marie rated it liked it
received an eARC copy care of Sourcebooks and Net Galley! Thank you guys.

Uhm this book is an ok book for me. Fast read? yes. I don't know if it's just because it felt weird reading this or it really lacks the energy. It took time before it got my interest because the plot moves so slow. But towards the end, I already enjoyed reading it. The characters matured and the words used became more beautiful every time.

And if there's one thing that the book shared to me, it's positivity :)
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
“Growing up isn’t summiting a mountain, you know. There’s no end point.”

This is one strange book.

On one hand I had a feeling it was robotic at times and there were brief moments where I got everything these kids were saying because I too am dealing with my (a)sexuality for the past year. You're never too old to change or even realize things about yourself.

So in a way, this review is about me coming out. I was brave enough to come out to 2 people. One in person, which was really hard but libera
Katja (Life and Other Disasters)
This review was first published on Life and Other Disasters .

I was kindly provided with an eArc by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

I practically flew through this book, I read it all within a couple of hours and that does not happen when I don't like a book. I think Nowlin's style of writing is very easy to get into. Her language is relatable and her chapters short, funny and succinct. All her characters, Ramona, Sam and Tom, are equally passionate about what
Katie
Mar 09, 2016 Katie rated it did not like it
I received this e-arc on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Months ago when I first requested this book on NetGalley I started, like I always do when writing reviews, writing down notes as I was reading to make sure I remembered what I wanted to write in my review. Looking back on it now, all I managed to write was:

'Ramona is one of those quirky girls who so rarely exist in real life but so often exist in YA novels'.

I'm quite proud of that line. It sums up most of how I feel of the 51%
Bekka
Jan 06, 2016 Bekka marked it as dnf
Ugh. I HATE books about music snobs, but I thought, since I loved Nowlin's last book to pieces, I'd give this a shot anyway. Then at 6% I came across this passage:
I'd written the word "Darfur" over and over again on my left shoe, and "Auschwitz" all over the right shoe. Then I'd designed and printed fifty copies of my own four-by-four informative pamphlet entitled "Darfur and Other Holocausts You Might Not Know About!" to hand out to anyone who asked about my shoes. It was my first PSA (public s
BookCupid
Jan 08, 2016 BookCupid rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
Sad to say, this book was not for me.

Ramona and Sam have been bandmates for a long time. And to both of their dismay, the relationship has crossed the friendzone. Then one day Tom appears in the picture and gets added as a new member. But will Ramona's crush on Tom bring out everything that has been left unsaid between her and Sam?

Despite the author's efforts to add subplots about bullying, cancer, and teen/parents issues -- the main focus remained on the romance. Lack of sex motivation is not c
Priscilla Garcia
Oct 02, 2015 Priscilla Garcia rated it really liked it
I received a ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3,5 stars
Okay I found this book to be a bit weird, maybe it wasn't the book but what I felt when reading the book. To me it had a 70's feel and the characters gave me a hippie vibe. Maybe by the look of the cover I imagine it to be a rock band. But I loved the plot. The characters had a lot of potential but it was a three characters POV so it was jumping from one character to another and it was confusing at times. The auth
Kelly Hager
Nov 03, 2015 Kelly Hager rated it really liked it
I've now read both of Laura Nowlin's books and I am so impressed with them and with her as an author.

Both of her books would be easy to ruin. This one, especially, which is sort of the world's most uncommon love triangle (I don't want to get too specific but it's a very unique story)---it would be very, very easy to not do it well. Instead, every character is completely fleshed out and nuanced, and every character is handled respectfully.

I also love the way that the band in particular and music
Austin Case
Jan 23, 2016 Austin Case rated it it was amazing
I found this to be an extremely enjoyable read. The protagonists in the shifting perspective each have a clear voice and have unique drives that evolve throughout the narrative. The focus on experimental music and the [SPOILERS!] positive take on unconventional love and relationships is refreshing in a genre that too often reverts to an overly simplistic love triangle unavoidably ending in heartache. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in a new take on high-school romance and ...more
Elle
Love, love, loved! This wasn't what I was expecting but I loved it. Everything from plotting, characterizations, to the ending. I can't rave enough about this one. The concept of love and how we all see it and what makes love different for everyone is just amazing. Highly recommend and can't wait to add this to my personal library.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Dahlia
Until this book is actually out, all I really wanna say about it is that it was really, really great to see asexual representation in a main character, and I look forward to hearing what ace friends think about it.
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
Feb 26, 2016 Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowing
THIS BOOK. BE STILL MY ACHING HEART.
Jessica White
Jan 06, 2016 Jessica White rated it did not like it
I tried to read this, I really did. But this book was (not) for me.
Charmaine
Feb 08, 2016 Charmaine rated it it was amazing
This book is not for everyone. But I'm one of those that this book is meant for, because I enjoyed it and it resonated with me.

This book has a lot of "deepness" and profundity to it. I'm not saying that it's actually profound, but that it tries to be... or at least, the characters are trying really hard to make sense of the world and determine how they fit in the structure that underlies society.

These kids are on the cusp of adulthood. They're trying to figure themselves out. They have so much l
Cristina (My Tiny Obsessions)
Read full review HERE

description

I have to tell you that I did not expect most of the things about this book, and that is a good thing.

First, the writing is pretty great. The story is told in three different POVs, Ramona, Sam and Tom, and each has their own voice and that translated well into the book. Each one has its own characteristics and it felt like they were writing is their own diaries and I liked that.

I really liked the characters too, though I had a hard time identifying with Tom and Ramona most o
Erin Arkin
Jan 17, 2016 Erin Arkin rated it liked it
This Song is (Not) For You was an interesting read. I loved Laura Nowlin’s book If He Had Been With Me so the second I knew she had another book on the way, I added it to my to read bookshelf.

The story focuses on three main characters. You have Ramona and Sam who are best friends and together they have a band. The added layer of complexity to their friendship is that Ramona has had a crush on Sam from the moment they met and Sam feels the same but neither of them has ever said anything to the o
Audrey Lane
Oct 23, 2015 Audrey Lane rated it it was amazing
I first picked up this book thinking it was a typical teenage love triangle type of story that would appeal to some of my middle school students who like those types of romances. To my surprise, I ended up becoming seriously emotionally invested in all three of the main characters and their stories. With a lot of YA fiction, I've found that the characters are so "quirky!" and "different!" they become irritating instead of endearing. That's not the case with these characters. They're all ...more
Aly (My Heart Hearts Books)
As soon as I heard Laura Nowlin was coming out with another book, I needed it. It was a waiting game. I loved her first book and I had absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would love her second.

And I wish that was the case.

This Song Is (Not) for You had so many interesting aspects that stood out but it just didn't work for me. I think the is a brilliant concept book but it's one of those books that works as a concept but not in actuality.

I didn't connect with the characters and I didn't like
  Roshni
Jul 22, 2015 Roshni marked it as gimme-already
HELL YES !
I am ready to read more of this author ...
Cynthia
View this review and more others on Let's Say It's a Blog.

*Digital ARC was received from publisher through Netgalley*

Rating: 4/5

“Have you ever met someone, and you could feel that they were going to be important to you? It’s like you never knew it, but you’ve been waiting your whole life to meet this person…”

The gripping opening line narrated by Ramona above starts this unique story of how in love everything is possible in this latest YA contemporary by Laura Nowlin. Having read her heart-
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Young Adult Conte...: #19 This Song is (NOT) For You by Laura Nowlin 1 9 May 09, 2016 10:43PM
  • The Moonlight Dreamers
  • The Secret Life of a Dream Girl (Creative HeArts, #4; Dahlia and Keegan, #1)
  • You Were Here
  • Tash Hearts Tolstoy
  • Playing Defense (Corrigan Falls Raiders, #2)
  • How Willa Got Her Groove Back (Creative HeArts, #2)
  • Cloudwish
  • Words in Deep Blue
  • Talk Under Water
  • Breathing Under Water
  • Alex As Well
Laura Nowlin holds a B.A. in English with an emphasis in Creative Writing from Missouri State University. . In addition to being ambitious writer Laura is also an avid reader who believes that books allow her to live many lives in one lifetime. When she isn’t at home agonizing over her own novels Laura works at the public library where the patrons give her plenty of inspiration for her writing. ...more
More about Laura Nowlin...