Start by marking “Message to Garcia” as Want to Read:
Message to Garcia

Message to Garcia

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  856 ratings  ·  82 reviews
This famous motivational magazine article became an international phenomenon in the early 20th Century.
Published August 1st 1983 by Peter Pauper Press (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Message to Garcia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Message to Garcia

Simon
Some marks may be granted to Mr. Hubbard for his endeavor to demonstrate his idea of the proper way to accomplish a task. However, his notion of very integral parts of completing any undertaking is quite misconceived. To describe A Message To Garcia, in the most gracious way, is to say that the point intended was poorly made.

The author’s fervent admiration of an honest work ethic is to be commended, no doubt. His devotion to the matter seems complete, if not somewhat overly zealous. However, h
Sam
I read this book briskly and then again. It is a very concise get to work book. The idiology it espouses is to do, not to say. By that I mean that you should be getting things done and making things happen, in stead of asking questions on what you should specifically be doing. The message that comes from this for leaders is to have your people read this book, if they whine, then tell them "message to Garcia" and that battle cry will help them focus back to getting the mission accomplished whatev ...more
Gina R
Aug 29, 2007 Gina R rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every Marine
SO first of all I have to say this book is CRAP! Its not even a book. I personally believe it is propaganda, and that it is NOT a coincidence that the author's name is very similar to one L. Ron Hubbard. Hmmmmm....is this really the stuff that we should have our junior Marines reading? I read it as a Lance Corporal (just a lowly E-3), and I hated it. Just one more excuse for someone to chew me out. "Didn't you read A Message to Garcia...LANCE corporal?!" Whatever.
However now that I am an NCO (f
Kaj Samuelsson
I have read this many times. But this version was a bit longer, with an interesting foreword by the author.
This little story might be a good idea to distribute in businesses all over the world and it might raise the loyalty, responsibility and initiative of the workers.
Ashley
"El General García ya no existe. Pero hay muchos Garcías en el mundo. Qué desaliento no habrá sentido todo hombre de empresa, que necesita de la colaboración de muchos, que no se haya quedado alguna vez estupefacto ante la imbecilidad del común de los hombres, ante su abulia, ante su falta de energía para llevar a término la ejecución de un acto."

Este corto ensayo, es una punto de vista diferente al que tenemos de nuestra sociedad actual, pero, realmente solo es un discurso acerca de la forma de
Stina
Jan 29, 2011 Stina rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Wow... should I be worried that my boss asked me to read this? He said it was "really good", I found it to be bullshit corporate propaganda.
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
First, let me summarize what this little 32 page booklet is about before I start ranting.

"A Message to Garcia" refers to this man, Lieutenant Rowan, who was tasked by President McKinley during the Spanish-American War to deliver a message to the Cuban general, Garcia. So, what is it exactly that makes this story worth telling? Rowan just took the letter, without question, departed the states, and searched out Garcia---all on his own. And then he returned.

Hubbard (who wrote this in 1913) was so i
Fed
This long essay, written by Elbert Hubbard, is a speech that needs to be consumed in its entirety; from the beginning to the end, the point that the author is trying to make builds on the previous paragraphs creating crescendo intensity and meaning for the readers.

The message in this essay is powerful: be a person of integrity, keep your word, and carry out the work that you are asked to do quickly, efficiently, and with integrity.

“My heart goes out to the man who does his work when the ‘boss’ i
Brittany Sanford
Very good story. Very Short. Worth a try.

As I read the introduction (which is only a few pages itself) I wondered, why am I reading this and what is the point? Well, it gets to the point pretty quickly. It's a 10 minute read.

Very plain an simple, despite a few old timey phrases and a few words I had to look up, but even so I understood it well. It's about Honor, principal, values, and hard work. "Do your job" it exclaims.

It's not about Garcia but about Rowan the man who did his job (taking the
Sam Bledsoe
"I am an anarchist. Being an anarchist, I am also a socialist." I read Jesus was an Anarchist first and I thought it was brilliant. This book was not what I was expecting.

The first quote was from Jesus was an Anarchist but A Message to Garcia wasn't something I thought I would hear from a self-described socialist. It's a good message, really. The ideal worker is someone who does their work efficiently and without stupid questions. But on first read it comes off as capitalist propaganda, the type
Bria
Hubbard did a fantastic job of succinctly describing the two opposite views of work. Those who make it happen, and those who use excuses and questions to drag their feet to not work or try.

A great view into late 1800s and how people don't really change. There are those who want to work, and those who don't in every era.
It's so easy to make excuses for not succeeding, the easiest being shifting the blame onto others, usually their previous or current boss. Sometimes the boss is at fault, but ofte
Kate
While the question, why are the average person not as productive as he should and could be, is a very good one, the book is a disappointment. We don't get to see much of the arguments, or the difficulties and determination of Rowan. We get a lot of conclusions, most of which I agree and would have agreed more if they are more moderate. Also I feel that if everyone carries out his or her employer's wishes without questions, like the soldier hero of this book the world would be a dangerous and int ...more
Tim
Somewhat inspirational, but really seems an awful lot like some form of corporate propaganda. Work hard, do good ect.. I work in a cubicle so I think that I am naturally susceptible to this.
Audrey
I think A Message to Garcia is a noble message. I understand (and practice) the general concept of quietly accepting your work, doing it, and completing it with no guidance. Maybe in some industries it applies better than others. Where a questioning attitude is cultivated, or it is required to understand something 3 questions deep, this really can't apply. Where the task is well within the knowledge and capability of an individual and no additional input SHOULD be required, this applies. So I on ...more
Rdt
This book was not my cup of tea. On one level I see myself as Rowan -- the person prepared to execute difficult tasks without shirking or complaining. And I sometimes wish that people I work with could be more like Rowan. But who are we kidding? Real people are not like that. I am sure that the real Rowan was not like that. Interestingly, I found this book while looking at Nicholas Ostrovsky's How the Steel Was Tempered, one of the classic books of Stalinist Socialist Realism -- another fantasy ...more
David
Astonishly brilliant in its simplicity. A must read for its message.
Mark
Dec 03, 2008 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every lazy american
it's so short that it would be criminal if every person didn't read it through
Lisa Brookshire
Should be required reading for job applicants

I see so many people with an "entitled" attitude for no apparent reason except that they exists. Entitled to wages beyond their skill level just because they can't live off of what their education and experience dictates yet they don't want put in the time and effort to bring themselves up. Employees who can't just do the job at hand but seem to spend more energy throbbing to wok. This should be required reading for job applicants - then test them on
Rose
Years ago my father mentioned to me that people used to recite "A Message to Garcia", kind of like they'd recite the Gettysburg address (as shown in the musical "A Music Man"). I'd never heard of it. As part of my efforts to show Dad that the internet was useful for something, I googled it up, and read him the first line. And he said "Yup, that's it!" but then the conversation moved on. It wasn't until this week that I read the whole thing, even though it's quite short.

It's gist is "Just Do It":
Jill
I picked up this book because it's been on many military professional reading lists, however I was disappointed in it because I thought it would be a short story about the heroism and adventure of Lt. Rowan on his quest to deliver a message, instead it was just a short discourse on doing what is asked of you without questioning why?
Maggie Gibbs
Though the overall sentiment of this short book is a good one, i found that one of the ways it made its points was by asserting right wing ideologies, and making bold claims to the same effect with no evident basis in fact.
Shawn
An interesting view of society. In some ways, an indictment of those who fail to be self-actualized in the spirit of Ayn Rand; in others a reproof of the laid-off as lazy and unions as a shield to the shiftless.
In my opinion, those who, over the years, have found this to be a good short way of reminding others to think for themselves have also missed the point. If you are telling someone that they need to solve a given problem for themselves, you have already had to assist them (not a Garcia).
Stanley Turner
A short informative work, some love it, some hate it. I can see the works good points, especially since it is over 100 years old and things have drastically changed. It is worth a read....
Zachary Marsden
I agree with the overall message, but the reasoning behind it is all wrong.

I had to read this for a job interview and write a critique on it. I will not post that here as it was about 3 pages long.
Robert Griggs
A Classic

A must read for leaders and those whom they lead about the follower we all want in our organization and the type of follower we should all strive to be.
Wendy Gustofson
whether propaganda or not, this book reminds the reader to look around at what needs to be done and do without waiting to be asked. That is an important lesson.
Clara
Muy interesante

Te muestra la diferencia entre un empleado de tiempo y uno comprometido con la empresa que le proporciona su sustento
Lene Jaqua
:) Read this because my second Naval Academy son had a detailer who bombarded their company with this message this summer. It is a fun little story about not asking too many questions of your superiors but simply figuring it out once you are given a task to do. "Message to Garcia" is code for 'figure' it out for yourself. The story is about a soldier Rowan in the Cuban war, who needs to get a message to General Garcia on Cuba. Yet, the story is less about how he actually does so, and more an ear ...more
Bright
A simple book with a straight forward message that simple minded people cannot comprehend because they can simply not carry the message it contains.
Adam
I've applied the principles in this book to my career. It is the initiative that needs to be developed in all leaders.
  • Rifleman Dodd
  • WARFIGHTING (Marine Corps Doctrinal Publication 1)
  • Once a Marine: An Iraq War Tank Commander's Inspirational Memoir of Combat, Courage, and Recovery (Bluejacket Books)
  • Brute: The Life of Victor Krulak, U.S. Marine
  • Marine! The Life of Chesty Puller
  • The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat
  • George Washington and Benedict Arnold: A Tale of Two Patriots
  • The Arab Mind
Elbert Green Hubbard was an American writer, publisher, artist, and philosopher. He was an influential exponent of the Arts and Crafts movement and is, perhaps, most famous for his essay A Message to Garcia.

Also known as Fra Elbert Green, for the magazine he edited, Fra.

from http://freepages.history.rootsweb.anc...

For a more detailed look at this life, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbert_H...
More about Elbert Hubbard...
A Message to Garcia: And Other Classic Success Writings Elbert Hubbard's Scrap Book: Containing the Inspired and Inspiring Selections Gathered During a Life Time of Discriminating Reading for His Own Use Love, Life and Work Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great Vol. 1: Great Men and Good The Note Book of Elbert Hubbard

“Opportunities for education should be within the reach of every individual, not for the lucky few.” 10 likes