Start by marking “The Origin of the Crabs” as Want to Read:
The Origin of the Crabs

The Origin of the Crabs (Crabs #3)

Rouse suddenly let out a piercing SCREAM releasing him from the paralysis of sheer terror in which those malevolent red eyes had held him. In panic he turned and tried to scramble up the slippery rockface. But his feet could not grip; slowly he began sliding back down, ever closer to that nightmarish form that was rapidly approaching, its huge claws waving in the air, its ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 186 pages
Published April 1st 1988 by Dell (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Origin of the Crabs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Origin of the Crabs

Michael
„Verzweifle nicht, einer der Schächer wurde erlöst. Frohlocke nicht, einer der Schächer wurde verdammt“, riet schon Augustinus. Ja, der Regen fällt auf die Gerechten und die Ungerechten, und die Riesenkrabben sind im Prinzip nicht wählerischer.
Im Prinzip, obwohl es immer einige Personen in der Crabs-Serie gibt, denen man den Tod eher wünscht als anderen (obwohl, das soll man ja eigentlich gar nicht), und Guy N. Smith enttäuscht seine Leser nicht gerne.
Erstaunlich ist, wie mühelos sich die Krabb
K.T. Katzmann
Guy N. Smith, we gonna have words. I got beef.
 photo tumblr_o2gjb58j2k1tlb56zo1_400_zpskpq8nvya.gif
Having sat through three of the crabs novels, I think I understand you as an author. It’s abundantly clear to me that you have two beloved topics: poaching and the Loch Ness Monster.

I was okay with that. I’m resigned to the fact that there’s going to be a poacher, someone who catches poachers, or both in every Crabs novel after the first. Do you know why I indulged that obsession?

Because of the Loch Ness Monster.

In every one of these crustacean-focu
David Bonesteel
May 12, 2013 David Bonesteel rated it really liked it
Giant crabs emerge from Loch Merse to commit slaughter under the full moon.

This book may not rise to the level of deathless literature, but when you've got a hankering to read about bloodthirsty monster crabs...well, that's an itch that William Faulkner and James Joyce just can't scratch. Guy N. Smith seemed to have a lot of fun writing this book, and I had a lot of fun reading it. It's hard for me to think of anything less expressive than a crab's face, but Smith's monsters display anger, conte
Glen
Dec 03, 2015 Glen rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I've heard that Guy N. Smith is seeing something of a revival. Somehow, I missed reading any of his books before, even during my horror phases. I saw this in a used book store and gave it a go.

On a remote Scottish estate, an evil laird controls the whole vicinity. People begin to die, killed by giant crabs.

One of the men's brother comes into town and starts to investigate.

It's a lot like a late era Hammer or AIP horror movie in print. Pretty good if you like that kind of thing.
Dreadlocksmile
May 28, 2009 Dreadlocksmile rated it really liked it
First released back in 1979, ‘The Origin of the Crabs’ formed the prequel to ‘Night of the Crabs’ from Guy N Smith’s infamous 'Crabs' series. 'Night Of The Crabs' and 'Killer Crabs' had already seen publication, allowing this new installment to slot in at the very start of the series, setting down the origins of these gigantic crustaceans.

Set within the murky Loch Merse of southwest Scotland, the first of the crabs begin to appear. Their first victim is a local poacher who finds himself ripped
Red Siegfried
Sep 27, 2007 Red Siegfried rated it it was ok
THE CRABS!

To sum up, giant crabs come out of nowhere and eat people alive right after they have sex and commit other evil acts.

It goes something like this ... Bob murdered his brother and is sleeping with his sister while in his spare time driving orphans out of their homes and strangling baby ducks with his hair. He goes down to the Swamp That Everyone Says You Should Stay Away From(tm) one night to find some kittens to abuse and is suddenly eating alive, begging for God to kill him, by giant
Graham
Mar 31, 2014 Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, monster
Smith was a master of pulp horror back in the late '70s/early '80s with his seemingly endless string of "killer nature" type books which mixed in some light storywork and characterisation with plenty of gruesome, vivid deaths which, while very explicit, never have the ability to disgust like the work of, say, Shaun Hutson.

In all, this makes Smith's books pretty enjoyable, if light, reads, and THE ORIGIN OF THE CRABS is no exception. The setting of a Scottish loch for the gory action is an origi
David B
Nov 02, 2013 David B rated it really liked it
Giant crabs emerge from Loch Merse to commit slaughter under the full moon.

Eva
Feb 13, 2008 Eva rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone. ANYONE.
Recommended to Eva by: Monty Buckles (sort of)
Oh my GOD. What an awesome, terrible, great one of four books about giant crabs eating people in a lake. Guy N. Smith is the top selling author in Poland, and the character of Garth Marenghi on the show "Darkplace" is based on him. He's also a national pipe smoking champion.

This book is incredible. The crabs are created by nuclear tests in the ocean, just like Godzilla, and they kill people the exact same way each time. The second guy they kill is named Jock Rouse, and he keeps describing the c
J.R. Park
Nov 10, 2014 J.R. Park rated it really liked it
The third in the crab series ticks all the right boxes for a Guy N Smith book: Sex, gore and a great pace.

This time round the action is set in Scotland with a real meanie of Laird trying to cover up the crab's existence whilst they take great delight in slicing and dicing locals and visitors.

It starts with a beautiful vista but it's not long before we are thrown into the action, and from then it doesn't let up.
A shocker of an ending too...
David
Apr 05, 2010 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Evil giant crabs with terrifying red eyes are indestructible. You cannot stop them. You cannot reason with them. You cannot escape them. They will cut you apart and eat you. Especially if you are ANY CHARACTER written by Guy N Smith. For real.

This is the equivalent of a 50s monster movie where they took a random animal and made it big. Funny at times, wholly predictable, and not the least bit scary. But it's a fun read if you have a thing for, you know... crustaceans.
L.L.
Już nawet nie pamiętam ile książek z tej serii o krabach czytałem... kiepskawe to tak z perspektywy czasu mówiąc, ale wtedy mi się podobało, choć każda z tych książeczek była niemal taka sama :P (dlatego nie pamiętam co czytałem).
Carl Timms
Seem to recall this one just being too slow after the insane first couple of books. More crabs more people being eaten, interesting to see where they came from though.
Julie Szuster
Apr 24, 2016 Julie Szuster rated it did not like it
awful, shallow, very bad written. Maybe I'm not fair, since it's not really my type of reading, but still - unfortunate waste of time.
Jan L.
Jan L. rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2012
Suzy
Suzy rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Neil Davies
Neil Davies rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
s g rees
s g rees rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Dan C.
Dan C. rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Canyonxplorer
Canyonxplorer rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2011
Gavin Nelson
Gavin Nelson rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Michael Legge
Shame he dies in the end.
BrianG
BrianG rated it it was ok
Aug 02, 2010
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2012
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Darren Denton
Darren Denton rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I was born on November 21, 1939, in the small village of Hopwas, near Tamworth, Staffordshire, England. My mother was a pre-war historical novelist (E. M. Weale) and she always encouraged me to write.
I was first published at the age of 12 in The Tettenhall Observer, a local weekly newspaper. Between 1952-57 I wrote 56 stories for them, many serialized. In 1990 I collated these into a book entitled
More about Guy N. Smith...

Crabs (8 books)
  • Night of the Crabs
  • Killer Crabs
  • Crabs on the Rampage
  • Crabs' Moon
  • Crabs: The Human Sacrifice
  • Killer Crabs: The Return
  • Crabs' Fury

“In fact, I think it would be preferable if we split up. We can watch a wider expanse that way.” 0 likes