Start by marking “Treasuring God in Our Traditions” as Want to Read:
Treasuring God in Our Traditions

Treasuring God in Our Traditions

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  506 ratings  ·  42 reviews
God is the treasure of our lives. He is part of everything we do, think, act, and say-literally, he is a part of us. This precious heirloom of Christ himself must be passed on to future generations. But how?

Treasuring God in Our Traditions presents the importance of passing along Christ-centered traditions and a Bible-saturated legacy in Christ to future generations. NoEl
Published September 7th 2007 by Crossway Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Treasuring God in Our Traditions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasuring God in Our Traditions

I have heard so many good things about this book that I actually *bought* it, which tends to be a bigger commitment for me than moving houses or changing jobs. This, of course, made reading this so-so book even more disappointing than had I simply borrowed it. I thought it would be chock full of ideas of traditions I could incorporate/steal; and, while it did contain some ideas (and recipes? and poetry about the Piper children?), it was mostly about why traditions are important. I don't think th ...more
Mystie Winckler

This book follows in the footsteps of Edith Schaeffer; it is very reminiscent of Hidden Art, I thought. Mrs. Piper shows how traditions (daily patterns as well as holiday customs) communicate to children better and more deeply than words. It was a good read for someone like myself who tends to shrug off and sometimes even scoff at treating special times special as fluff and nonsense and sentimental (No matter how much I liked Anne of Anne of Green Gables, I always had the sneaky, uncomfortab
Very practical, genuine and heartfelt. A springboard of ideas for keeping Christ at the centre of your family at all times.
Shanna Gonzalez
Everyone has their own family traditions that make the holiday what it is -- molded jello for birthdays, sugar cereal on Christmas morning, caramel rolls at Thanksgiving, Easter cake after church. It is often after having their first child that young couples begin to think hard about establishing traditions for their nuclear family. Young parents want to give their children the same joyful experiences they had (or missed out on), but it can be challenging to distinguish between sentimental memor ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman

"Our homes are the universities where our children learn about the world and how to live. What kind of basic "courses" are we offering them?"

This quote in chapter 5 of Treasuring God in Our Traditions stretched out it's wordy fingers and grabbed me by the collar. It had my attention. What kind of "courses" am I teaching my children?

The entire book - all 105 pages - had my attention as it not only ministered to my weary mothering heart, but also challenged me to think about how I am mot
Angelyn Vaughan
This book is an easy read on a delightful and important topic. While I don't plan to mimic all of the Pipers' family traditions, I found many helpful and creative ideas on everything from making Christmas and Easter more meaningful to helping small children sit quietly through church. While some of their choices as a family may seem extreme, they seem to only do the things that glorify Christ the most and avoid the clutter of unnecessary secular traditions. It gave me plenty to think about.
I felt a little overwhelmed and wanted to incorporate all her stuff into our lives but that's not really the point. I did learn that reading the Bible while we eat is super helpful and easy and we follow her advent calendar.
Hailey White
This book was one of the first parenting books I read. I particularly was encouraged by the appendix on keeping your children with you in church, which was my first exposure to that thought.
Good thoughts from Noel and John Piper on how to intentionally center family traditions around God. I was surprised how much of this book covered family routines or everyday traditions. I wasn't blown away by the ideas in this book, probably because my own upbringing was thoughtfully Christian. I enjoyed several poems, phrases, and a few ideas for new traditions at our house. My copy of the book will make a good gift for a newlywed couple or for a newly Christian family. Noel does explicitly enc ...more
Alicia Ruggieri
Some really excellent ideas in here for making Christ the focus of our traditions in the home. Creativity was a little lacking but still well-worth reading.
Some books I love because they resonate with my own heart and some books I love because they challenge what I believe about things. This book does both! Noel puts into eloquent words a lot of what I want my home and parenting to be and also presents some new ideas and perspectives for me to contemplate. This is a book I would recommend for all my friends and family, in fact I wish I could buy it for all of them! It is a book I know I will want to read again and again and also let my friends borr ...more
Lauren Douglas
Love this book on traditions and incorporating them in your Christ centered home!
Jonathan Wylie
For my stage in life, this is probably been the most impactful book on me as a husband and father. Noël Piper does a great job of not being prescriptive and still providing a framework for helping families point one another to our greatest Treasure of all: Jesus. This book is a resource book now on my shelf to be used.

Thank you Noël Piper!
Stephani Brooks
Had some great ideas to add to your family.
I feel like people's reviews of this book were a little harsh. No, Noel Piper doesn't list out a section by section guide on how to make your family perfect, as some of the reviews seemed to be looking for. But she did a great job defining tradition and it's importance- for the 'everyday' and the 'especially.' I came away with some wonderful ideas to begin to incorporate into my own little fam. Thanks Noel for the peak into your family and your heart.
I borrowed this book from a friend. It is a quick read, but I would like my own copy for reference. Noel discusses how our traditions should and can glorify God. She distinguishes between 'everyday' and 'especially' traditions and gives ideas and examples of both. The Appendix provides insight into how she and her husband trained their children to worship in church with the family.
Often times tradition is spoken of in a negative tone. I often wonder why some people have such a problem with tradition, especially tradition in the church. This book gives some solid biblical references to tradition, where it came from and why we do it. A great read for anybody that wants to put meaning back behind all those "things" we do, but can't remember why we do them.
Kendra Fletcher
I really felt there was nothing new here, but then I grew up in a home with happy traditions and godly parents. We've carried much of the same joy and celebration into our home with our children. But, if you were not raised with any kind of Christian celebration and domestic traditions, Noel's book could be very helpful.
Well, I read it all online within a couple days. It was great in giving some practical ways to establish Christ-centered traditions in the home -- everyday and special days. I loved it, and it challenged me to better plan how to show the glory and greatness of God in holidays and everyday, especially to my children.
If you have no idea how to create family traditions and like John Piper's poetry, you'll enjoy this. I thought it was okay, there were few new ideas to me, but it was a good reinforcement that investing in a family culture, creating your own rituals and routines, is a worthwhile pursuit. (5.5/10)
Read this book in one sitting. Enjoyable and inspiring. Appropriate read in light of Thanksgiving, Advent, and Christmas... brainstorming my own ideas for traditions as a couple, family, and in our circle of friends for these "especially" neat days for celebrations and remembrance of God.
It was a good book, the beginning the most interesting. The second half focuses more on the traditions that the Pipers held in their family, which was fun to read. I liked it and agreed with many things Noel Piper said, but I like Edith Schaeffer's book better I think.
Amanda Strnad
Love that Noel shares their family traditions and the whys behind them but encourages the readers to create their own. A wonderful book to help evaluate your current traditions and potential new ones by defining the why behind them and how they reveal the heart of God.
Dawn Salyer
Jul 30, 2007 Dawn Salyer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian ladies looking to intsill traditions that mean something in their children.
Noel is a wonderful writer and has such a beautiful heart for God. I learned how important traditions can be for the growth and maturity of children in Christ. I'm now looking for important traditions and ways of celebrating them, even though we don't have kids yet.
great book w/ lots of practical ideas to get us started. thought provoking and convicting as it pushes one to consider what they are communicating to their children by their actions (or lack of actions). i would recommend this for any Christian family.
I highly recommend this book to all Mommies! Noel challenges her readers to be intentional about planning and repeating God-centered traditions in the home. This is a book I will definitely be reading again in a year or two as the girls age.
Jennifer Van Derbeken
My wonderful mother-in-law gave me this book for my birthday. I opened my birthday box from the great state of Texas and promptly sat down on a step stool in my kitchen and began to read. It's a amazing my family got dinner tonight....
As a first generation Christian who did not grow up in a faith-filled home, I appreciated the ideas on creating traditions that center around Jesus. There are a couple that might work for our family and others that I might adapt...
Loved Noel Piper's take on traditions! Discusses why they are important (both everyday & 'especially' traditions) and gives a variety of examples and suggestions when thinking about your own family traditions.
A book worth consulting throughout parenthood. Some good ideas and thoughts encouraging parents to make traditions a part of life as a way of teaching your children about God and strengthening family life.
Treasuring God in Our Traditions 1 5 Oct 15, 2009 02:47PM
  • Big Truths for Young Hearts: Teaching and Learning the Greatness of God
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • The Shaping of a Christian Family
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Sex and the Supremacy of Christ
  • Glimpses of Grace: Treasuring the Gospel in Your Home
  • Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus: Experiencing the Peace and Promise of Christmas
  • Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
  • Teach Them Diligently: How to Use the Scriptures in Child Training
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches

“We reveal to ourselves and others what is important to us by the way we celebrate.” 0 likes
“You can't impart what you don't possess.” 0 likes