Start by marking “Hansons Half-Marathon Method: Run Your Best Half-Marathon the Hansons Way” as Want to Read:
Hansons Half-Marathon Method: Run Your Best Half-Marathon the Hansons Way

Hansons Half-Marathon Method: Run Your Best Half-Marathon the Hansons Way

Half-marathon is the fastest-growing running race distance in the world. Now in Hansons Half-Marathon Method, the coaches of the Hansons-Brooks Distance Project reveal the half-marathon training program they’ve used to turn their runners into race winners, national champions, and Olympians.

Using this strategic and scientifically grounded training program, runners will mix
Published April 8th 2014 by Velo Press

To ask other readers questions about Hansons Half-Marathon Method, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hansons Half-Marathon Method

Stampie
Sep 06, 2014 Stampie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: run
I actually own both this book and the marathon plan book. I finished reading the marathon method today and compared it to this one (which I hadn't yet read) and they are identical save for the actual training plans.
I still give it 5 stars because it's well written with good information. I am starting the marathon method this week, and my husband will be starting the half plan. We are running in January, so I will update my review when I can tell you what I think of the plan as well as the book!
Joanna Taylor Stone
Sep 24, 2016 Joanna Taylor Stone rated it it was amazing
Really comprehensive. So excited to start this training!
Linda
Nov 22, 2016 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, running
UPDATE: I followed the plan to the letter as long as I could. I missed about 4 days near the end, because my body could not handle the training load. I feared that I was dealing with a severe injury, so I had to take some time off. To put it in perspective, I ran 200+miles/per month in August, September and October. My goal half was in mid November. While I didn't run the race I really wanted to, I ran pretty fast. Hansons works. However, I wouldn't recommend this program for most master ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 05, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Easy to read and I'd recommend to anyone looking to amp up their training.

I skimmed some areas (gear, race day prep) and focused on the science behind the plan, workouts, and paces to use. I haven't used Hanson's yet, but I have mapped out a potential 18 week plan. The milage is high for a half marathon plan. I do believe goals can and will be reached if one adheres to the plan (which is based on cumulative fatigue), but I'm not quite sure if I want to devote my free time this summer to trainin
Rachel
May 29, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it
Good read with lots of advice.
Liz
Sep 25, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
Just a quick review from me but I wanted to say that 'yes' it does work. There are lots of reviews from people who have read the book but not actually completed the training so I wanted to save my review for after I ran the race - which I now have! Yippee!
I followed the plan almost to the letter with just about 5 days off when I pulled a muscle in my back.
The workouts are intense and it is very time consuming so if you cannot commit to 6 days a week running up to 52 miles per week (at the peak)
adrienna
Jun 15, 2015 adrienna rated it really liked it
Maybe I'll update my rating after I run a half-marathon using this plan!

I saw some complaints about the similarities (sometimes exact same text) to the full marathon method book, but that didn't bother me at all. The reiteration of key components of the method is important and helps emphasize the message.

I would imagine that the half program is easier for people to get behind since you get the "normal" long runs in, but the idea of cumulative fatigue is still there and still vital to success (e
Davy
Aug 14, 2014 Davy rated it liked it
Overall, I think this book has been very helpful with support on figuring out how to train with different speeds (easy, tempo, strength). In the past I've only focussed on race pace for my long runs and an easy run. My one issue with this book is that as someone who has run 4 half marathons already and looking to improve, I think the Hanson's method of "cumulative fatigue" and remaining constantly active and running 6 days a week is a little more than I'm used to, especially a someone who has a ...more
Anne
Oct 02, 2016 Anne rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. Nice clear explanations and great training plans to help anyone from the total beginner to the advanced.
Well written and methodical training means you are covering a lot of miles in a week but never high mileage runs.
This is not a how to run book and you will need to refer to it a few times to get maximum output and a deep understanding of how it all works but many people I know have been successful with their half marathons.
Dmitry Trofimov
Apr 17, 2016 Dmitry Trofimov rated it really liked it
The book provides a good overview of physiologic processes behind the running and training. It offers a method to train for a half marathon, which is based on the idea of cumulative fatigue: training 6 days a week with a moderate/high milage (beginner plan is ~40 miles a week). There are also tips about hydration and nutrition both before and during the race.

Mary Beth
Aug 23, 2014 Mary Beth rated it really liked it
Having read and followed the Hansons' full marathon plan, this book didn't have a ton of new info for me. However I really like and perform well following their philosophy, so I'm sure the training will translate well to the half, too.
Chris
Oct 14, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
An interesting, but advanced, program. I wouldn't feel comfortable even considering these programs without at least a year of running. The jump from 28 to 37 mpw in week six strikes me as insane.
Pam
Dec 19, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it
I gave it 4 stars because it was concise and well written. That said, I haven't tried the training method yet. I will update my review when I do!
Jenny Benson
Jul 28, 2015 Jenny Benson rated it liked it
Agree with some other reviewers--even the "beginner" plan is way more running/week than most other programs.
Kerrie Turcic
Aug 25, 2014 Kerrie Turcic rated it liked it
They made a lot of good points, but it's a lot of running, and I don't know how an injury-prone runner could follow this plan.
Scott Mullen
Sep 02, 2014 Scott Mullen rated it it was amazing
Great book. I've always been a person who just went out and ran a random distance with no care for pace. This book has showed me how to do all the different things required to be a better runner.
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Kali
Kali rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Lindsay Dimarco
Lindsay Dimarco rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Rob DeCarlo
Rob DeCarlo rated it really liked it
May 28, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Erin Templeton
Erin Templeton rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
Andy Noise
Andy Noise rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Manish Jain
Manish Jain rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Bryan Ritchie
Bryan Ritchie rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Amanda Urbanski
Amanda Urbanski rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
KathyC
KathyC rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
Loriann
Aug 03, 2015 Loriann rated it really liked it
Now it's time to try it.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »