Start by marking “The Burrowers Beneath” as Want to Read:
The Burrowers Beneath

The Burrowers Beneath (Titus Crow #1)

THE EARTH’S REAL LANDLORDS ARE SURFACING. HERE. NOW...

From the darkly fantastic worlds of H P Lovecraft’s world-famous Cthulhu Mythos comes a grimly compelling novel of the Ultimate War, between men – and monsters spawned in Hell!

For millennia, men have strutted in puny pride over the fragile surface of the Earth, arrogantly proclaiming themselves masters of creation. But
Hardcover
Published (first published February 19th 1974)

To ask other readers questions about The Burrowers Beneath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burrowers Beneath

K.T. Katzmann
At first I was like . . .
 photo 149.gif_zpsqnfumpgp.gif
. . . But then I was like . . .
 photo 1296_zpsfvv2l4z8.gif

I had always wanted to read this novel since I was a Cthulhu-obsessed kid. After all, this was the book with the Cthonians in it! The very creatures who got me into Lovecraft!

I was a young D & D player, scouring Dragon Magazines in my local library, when I ran across ads for RAFM's Cthulhu miniatures line.

photo Cthulhu_Minis_zps2kc3nwam.png

Behold! An array of bizarre creatures, only described (in the original ad) by two words each. I was hooked, and the Cthonian was t
George
Aug 25, 2015 George rated it it was amazing
My favorite Cthulhu Mythos writer outside of H.P.L. himself
Allen Garvin
Aug 25, 2015 Allen Garvin rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Somewhat fun Lovecraftian pastiche, starting out fairly standard, but then the characters decide to fight the elder gods with nuclear weapons and psychic attacks and stuff. A bit too much of the too-blasphemous-to-conceive-without-going-mad. And none of the mystery of Lovecraft. Everything about the elder gods seems explained in exhaustive detail. But, still, a fun 2-day read.
Eric
Aug 25, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it
Although Lumley writes in more up to date prose, he references and incorporates more of Lovecraft's mythology in one story than any other author in the same genre.
Michael
Aug 25, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: lovecraftiness

I've just got round to reading this, Lumley’s first novel, but also a bit of a fix-up from previously published stories; “Cement Surroundings” and “The Night Sea-Maid Went Down” were short [good] early Cthulhu Mythos stories. In THE BURROWERS BENEATH, Lumley has linked the stories together and extended their scope, though the novel is largely an expansion of “Cement Surroundings”, concerning the exploits of Shudde-M’ell, a huge octopoid burrowing creature, a Great Old One, and his similar childr
Graham
Aug 25, 2015 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a massive fan of Lovecraft and a massive fan of Brian Lumley’s Lovecraftian short stories, it was inevitable that I would get around to reading this, the first novel in the long-running Titus Crow series. Also inevitably, I found I absolutely loved it. It takes Lovecraft’s world and his nameless horrors and it transfers them to a pulpy adventure novel with none of the original author’s long-windedness or sometimes purple prose. Lumley’s style is completely different and yet he holds true ...more
PsypherPunk
One of the often-encountered criticisms of August Derleth relates to his attempts to codify Lovecraft's Mythos. After reading this, it's pretty clear that this tradition is alive and well.

For the early part it's an entertaining enough read but I rapidly lost interest in the latter half. Once we're introduced to the Wilmarth Foundation and the beasties are all categorised, documented and even granted their own acronym, my attention waned. I can respect Lumley's desire to write characters who "fi
Chris Lester
I love the idea of a Cthulhu Mythos where the humans fight back. Lumley wrote this in the mid-seventies, and it shows its age in some ways, but it is quite entertaining. Necessarily he had to change the mythos somewhat in order to make his story work, chiefly by introducing a moral axis into the cast of Ancient Ones; this allows for the existence of weapons that are effective against the minions of Cthulhu and his allies, created by beings as powerful as they but less inimical to human life. ...more
Dollie
Feb 20, 2016 Dollie rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
I have never read H.P. Lovecraft's Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, but I have it and will read it when I finish all of Lumley's books about Titus Crow and his experience in the grandfather clock time machine. These stories are different from anything else I've read by Lumley. I do like the Titus Crow character, but it's a very bizarre world he lives in. I will continue to finish these books. There are two or three more.
Perry Lake
Oct 21, 2016 Perry Lake rated it really liked it
Read this many years ago. It ties in with all of Lumley's other Lovecraftian pastiches and is interesting by itself. But it's also a little slow and not as good as his later works like "In the Moons of Borea".
Jamie
Aug 25, 2015 Jamie rated it it was ok
A book that, more than any other, demonstrates what can go wrong when you tell rather than show.
C.T. Phipps
Sep 03, 2016 C.T. Phipps rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cthulhu
Brian Lumley's Titus Crow is a series I owe an immense debt to. While Call of Cathulhu was the first Mythos-related fiction I was ever exposed to at the tender age of seven, it was Titus Crow I picked up in my college town's library which created my love of Lovecraft's mythology. Thanks to Brian Lumley, I picked up the original works by H.P. Lovecraft and devoured them. He's also the guy I owe my desire to write my own Cthulhu Mythos fiction to.

In short, this will be, by no means, an unbiased
Michael Parrish
Dec 06, 2016 Michael Parrish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for fans of Lovecraft. Continues on with the Mythos, bringing it more up-to-date and expounding on what Miskatonic and the world as a whole is doing to deal with the Cthulhu Cycle Deities. I liked Lumley's 'voice' for the characters, and the presentation style of the tale. Looking forward to the next.
Toni
Aug 25, 2015 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a Lovecraft fan and I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It's as close to being written by Lovecraft himself as you can get. There's not much action but plenty of dialogue and exposition, and I think that word I always associate with Lovecraft..."eldritch"...is also used a few times. There may be a bit more overt description of the creatures and their acts, since Lovecraft, like Poe, depends a great deal on atmosphere, sensation, and mental suggestion than outright action and ...more
Bertrand
Voilà une curiosité littéraire s'inscrivant dans la mythologie de Cthulhu. En effet, La Fureur de Cthulhu est un mélange plutôt sympathique entre l'oeuvre de Lovecraft, Le Monde Perdu de Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (le passage sur le Crétacé) et Doctor Who/HG Wells (la pendule en guise de machine à remonter le temps et l'espace fait invariablement penser au Tardis de ce bon vieux docteur). Voilà pour le côté sympathique.
Malheureusement, La Fureur de Cthulhu pêche par générosité et on se retrouve avec
Kathy L. Brown
Aug 25, 2015 Kathy L. Brown rated it liked it
This is a book from the 1960's in the Lovecraftian tradition. I started reading it at the beach in November, which is a pretty darn evocative place to contemplate ancient, subterranean evil.
In reading Lovecraft, I often feel like I missed the first installment; what specifically is he talking about? Something too horrible and scary to contemplate, but how do we talk about it then? Burrowers isn't a particularly good novel, but lots of straightforward exposition about the Cthulhu mythos did help
Jaime San miguel
Es muy lenta al principio sin embargo es de los mejores finales que he leído sin duda te deja con ganas de mucho más,lamentablemente las otras obras de Titus Crow no fueron editadas en español lo que es una verdadera pena.Lumley nos presenta un lado más positivo de los mitos de Cthulhu, él llega a tal nivel que cree que la humanidad puede hacer frente a algunos de estos peligros cósmicos.
Maxim Chernykh
Well, 3 stars just barely...

No-nonsense prose, uninspiring story altogether, not much of Lovecraftian vibe. There’s a lot of books with nothing especially bad about them, but nothing especially good also. “Borrowers…” is one of those.
Edgar
Aug 25, 2015 Edgar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If interested in a classic-flavored Cthulhu story taken to a novel's length, this is the closest it gets. Very unorthodox at times, but it offers some gratifying close-ups. None of them in the end, strangely enough. And yet...
Aaron Meyer
Aug 25, 2015 Aaron Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Good stuff! Kept me on the edge waiting to see what would happen next. I think he did a good job keeping it lovecraftesque in essence. Worth recommending to those who love Lovecraft's works.
Tom
Aug 25, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it
Awww... my first lovecraftiana book :)

(and a beginning of a beautiful although sanity destroying friendship)
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
David McCard
David McCard rated it liked it
Annabelle Higgins
Annabelle Higgins rated it really liked it
Justin Tucker
Justin Tucker rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Todd
Todd rated it really liked it
Fletch
Fletch rated it liked it
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
Gottfried Neuner
Gottfried Neuner rated it liked it
Marko
Marko rated it really liked it
  • Disciples of Cthulhu
  • The Innsmouth Cycle: The Taint of the Deep Ones
  • Beowulf and the Critics (Medieval & Renaissance Texts & Studies, Vol. 248)
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • The Evil Genius
  • The Book of Q
  • The Damned Highway
  • Mysteries of the Worm: Twenty Cthulhu Mythos Tales by Robert Bloch (Call of Cthulhu Fiction)
  • The Book of Iod: Ten Tales of the Mythos
  • The Horror in the Museum & Other Revisions
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Beyond the Blonde
  • The Midden
  • Silver (Ogmios Team Adventure #1)
  • Daughter of God
20602
Brian Lumley was born near Newcastle. In 22 years as a Military Policeman he served in many of the Cold War hotspots, including Berlin, as well as Cyprus in partition days. He reached the rank of Sergeant-Major before retiring to Devon to write full-time, and his work was first published in 1970. The vampire series, 'Necroscope', has been translated into ten languages and sold over a million ...more
More about Brian Lumley...

Titus Crow (7 books)