Start by marking “Fan Fiction and Fan Communities in the Age of the Internet: New Essays” as Want to Read:
Fan Fiction and Fan Communities in the Age of the Internet: New Essays

Fan Fiction and Fan Communities in the Age of the Internet: New Essays

Fans have been responding to literary works since the days of Homer's Odyssey and Euripedes' Medea. More recently, a number of science fiction and fantasy works have found devoted fan followings. The advent of the internet has brought these groups from relatively limited, face-to-face enterprises to easily accessible global communities, within which fan fiction proliferate ...more
Published July 5th 2006 by McFarland & Company

Be the first to ask a question about Fan Fiction and Fan Communities in the Age of the Internet

Anna
When I found this book on the library shelves, I was immediately interested and grabbed it to take along on my holiday. I was hoping for something that would add to my knowledge of online communities (one of my major interests). I do read fan-fiction on occasion and have been known to dabble in writing it, but I’ve never been part of the communities of writers and readers this book promised to investigate, and so I approached it as if I were planning to pop to the next town over and see what was ...more
Annie
Jul 02, 2016 Annie rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm not that into literary critique and more into sociological analysis: some of the articles seemed a bit poor on analysis. Furthermore, the book was published ten years ago and it lost its actuality. Nevertheless, some good things (I liked the piece on intimatopia and the one on writing for queer children felt very important to me).
Emily Murphy
Aug 27, 2015 Emily Murphy rated it it was ok
Note: All of these ratings are on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best.

Quality of Writing: 4
This book felt like I was reading the essays of a precocious undergrad who used big words like "rhizomatic" to sound intelligent. Yes, the essays were intelligent, but I think the most quality writers are those who can use that intelligence for something other than its own rawness, like humor or pith.

Pace: 3
Being a collection of academic essays, it's no page-turner. In fact, while reading it, I'd often want
May 31, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A set of essays about fan fiction--the first I've seen published since the general fandom shift to Livejournal, which made it valuable for that alone! There were two or three essays that were awesome, and another two or three that were interesting, and then two or three that made me roll my eyes--that's a pretty good proportion for a set of essays on pop culture. The discussion of roleplay journals on Livejournal was fascinating, and overall the essays that look at how LJ has changed the dynamic ...more
Clare
Oct 13, 2008 Clare rated it liked it
This short review is also posted with a link to information about slash on my blog at http://inputs.wordpress.com/2008/12/0...

Quite interesting with some useful if rather rushed definitions of the some of the jargon used by fan fiction writers in the introduction. A large proportion of the articles in this edited collection are about slash.

Slash represents, in terms of volume, the smallest section of fan fiction but it is one that academics gravitate towards with a passion - all that transgressi
Mireille
I picked this up as research for an essay on feminism and fandom. I liked it, though my degree of interest varied a lot. The first section was my favorite, and I loved the Brief History of Media Fandom. The literary analyses didn't work for me, it felt too academic and it was less interesting when you didn't know the stories (also, the one analyzing her own fic was a bit sketchy for an academic essay). All in all, even though it's already a little dated, it's a great read if you like to analyze ...more
Andrea Meijomil
Un conjunto de ensayos muy interesantes. Se aborda el tema del fanfiction desde distintas perspectivas y se intenta aportar nuevos conceptos teóricos menos restrictivos. Eso sí, tal como explican en la introducción, las conclusiones de los ensayos están lejos de ser generales y en ocasiones, parecen demasiado específicas a partes muy concretas del fandom. Pese a todo, es una lectura que ayuda a ampliar el enfoque en el estudio de este fenómeno, que ha estado siempre muy monopolizado por las idea ...more
nicebutnubbly
Jun 05, 2007 nicebutnubbly rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, academic
Heavily on the academic side of fan studies, to the point of lay incomprehensibility in several of the articles. But when it's good, it's good, and it's doing some thinking that I haven't seen done before. The scholars represented are excellent thinkers who are thoroughly grounded in the community they are studying and have what is in some cases remarkable insight into how it works and what it does.
Rd
Jun 02, 2013 Rd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-stars
An excellent look at Internet based fandom from multiple viewpoints. I came away with a better understanding of how and why I interact with fandom myself. The only reason I can't give it five stars is because the academic language that was often used was difficult for me to understand at times. However, if fandom is a topic of interest for you I highly recomend this book.
John Carter McKnight
Jun 12, 2010 John Carter McKnight rated it it was amazing
Shelves: academic
Terrific anthology focusing on contemporary fan spaces, particularly LJ. Very strong set of entries, all with new and valuable additions to the field. Blend of fanfic as text and as performance within community: good material for literary studies as well as anthro folks.
Jenny
Nov 30, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: thesis-shelf
Interesting and informative collection of academic-fan fiction practitioners texts that analyse different aspects of fiction and communities, such as media fandoms, fan fiction writers, slash fiction, queering fiction, female fan fiction writers, etc.
vylit
Jun 11, 2011 vylit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2011
I think this is the best book of scholarship on current fan communities on the market. Covering everything from homoeroticism within fandom to the history of fan communities, the book is a thorough overview of different issues within modern fan communities.
Highlyeccentric
This was a quick re-read of about half of the articles - I revisited ones I'd liked before and ignored the rest. The essay on 'archontic literature' remains brilliant, and I'm astounded I've survived this far without citing it.
Joanna
Sep 13, 2016 Joanna marked it as not-in-library
Shelves: poplore, 2000s
This book describes my life since... well since 1997.
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Ava
Ava marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Mimi
Mimi marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Donna Waggott
Donna Waggott marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Thinking Mom
Thinking Mom marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Makena Kang'au
Makena Kang'au marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Jennifer Faythe
Jennifer Faythe marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Kaitie
Kaitie added it
Aug 05, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Kadi Raal
Kadi Raal marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
  • Textual Poachers: Television Fans and Participatory Culture
  • Fan Cultures
  • Fandom: Identities and Communities in a Mediated World
  • Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World
  • Fandom at the Crossroads: Celebration, Shame and Fan/Producer Relationships
  • Reading the Romance: Women, Patriarchy, and Popular Literature
  • The Existential Joss Whedon: Evil and Human Freedom in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly" and "Serenity"
  • Letters Written During a Short Residence in Sweden, Norway and Denmark
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Sex and the Slayer: A Gender Studies Primer for the Buffy Fan
  • Cheek by Jowl
  • Get It Done When You're Depressed
  • Understanding Popular Culture
  • Buffy Goes Dark: Essays on the Final Two Seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Television
  • The Battle of the Sexes in Science Fiction
  • Otaku: Japan's Database Animals
  • Undead TV: Essays on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Will the Vampire People Please Leave the Lobby?