Start by marking “Born of Oak and Silver (The Caradoc Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Born of Oak and Silver (The Caradoc Chronicles, #1)
read excerpt* *Different edition

Born of Oak and Silver (The Caradoc Chronicles #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  36 reviews
YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE LIFE YOU’VE BEEN GIVEN.

All that you can do is make the most of what you’ve been dealt—fight a good fight, resist being beaten by circumstance, and hope that somehow, despite it all, you’re able to accomplish the impossible.

But even then you cannot change the fact that you were born cursed.

I am one of those unlucky few upon whom the Curse of the Four
Published September 25th 2013 by Marie McKean

To ask other readers questions about Born of Oak and Silver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born of Oak and Silver

Silence by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClarePassion by Lauren KateShattered Souls by Mary Lindsey
Books that will Rock the Rest of the Year!
67th out of 143 books — 197 voters
Spark by Brooke CumberlandBurn by Brooke CumberlandBorn of Oak and Silver by Marie McKeanGeorge Washington's Secret Six by Brian KilmeadeThe Call of the Deep by Tracy  Lane
2013 Favorites
3rd out of 11 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy
Just finished editing this great fantasy novel! Trigger Warnings for violence, murder, sexual assault.

Free on Amazon today (Feb. 1, 2014)
Zoeytron
A captivating opening snared my interest immediately and kept it piqued throughout this dark fantasy. As the keepers and protectors of the earth, druids have the elements of earth, wind, fire and water at their command. Self-healing, with the ability to step through the silver, and talented in the creation of invisible protection runes are all powers that prove to be instrumental in their ancient war against the Sidhe (Fae).

'Knowing nothing of something does not make it false.' Sage words comin
Oana
4.0 to 4.5 stars

Born of Oak and Silver is an epic fantasy novel, following the life of Daine, a druid and sworn protector of the Earth, and his everlasting fight against the fairies, for controlling the world (nope, I didn’t read about this before either).

In case you didn’t know, I’m obsessed with good writing. Reading samples on Amazon before buying the actual book kind of obsessed. And after reading the sample of Born of Oak and Silver, the writing didn’t let me go, I just devoured it for it's
Steven Ure
I normally just write silly reviews that have little to do with the actual book, because I'm fucking weird like that, but I'll actually try to review this. At least I'll try to try. Yep, that's good enough.

This is Marie McKean's debut novel! That first one is always a bitch!

It's a fantasy book with your archetypal male protagonist who must defeat the evil seductress Fae. He's like a druid in training and he has to get this magical sword to defeat this Fae. Very Arthurian.

Basically, it's very d
Howard Parsons
In 1975, the American artist, Jamie Wyeth, created a painting called "And then deep into the gorge" which depicts a person driving a buggy led by a team of two white horses. The buggy leaves the dappled light of the forest behind as it proceeds down a road and turns to the viewer's left - always a bad sign in paintings - into the leafy gathering gloom of darkness, a foreshadowing of what is to happen to the person driving the buggy.

This painting came to mind when I first saw the cover art for M
Emm Cole
As Daine grows up under the tutelage and guidance of a grandfather-like figure named Bram, he learns that he’s inherited ancient Druid magic from his bloodline. As this boy approaches adulthood, Daine must decide whether or not to accept the daunting responsibility of fighting the evil and seductive Fae, who are bent on terrorizing the innocent.

Born of Oak and Silver is quite honestly unlike anything I’ve read. The creativity and darkness that Marie McKean employs in her first novel is both unex
Thérèse Wood
An intriguing book title
Making you wonder what it means
Well, I'm not going to reveal all
Except nothing is, as it first seems....

Marie McKean tells an exciting story of Daine, a powerful Druid who is a keeper & protector of the earth.

As a reader, you follow Daine's quest with Bramwyll to prevent the Fae & the Sidhe from destroying the Macardles.
Many heart wrenching moments throughout & each encounter with Maurelle, will fill you with trepidation.

Toni
This book is amazing. It takes you through the entire life of Daine, a Druid, sworn to protect the human race. How he came to be and how strong his moral compass steers him, even through the the most harrowing circumstances. Every character jumps off the page as if they are alive and next to you, described in perfect detail. It's about life, the battles, love, and death. If you are looking for a book that will pull into another world and make you feel every nuance, then this is the book for you!
Kevin
A great story that is well written!
Marie McKean's Born of Oak and silver takes us to the realm of Druids and the fairies. Reading the book was indeed an amazing experience.
The author never lacked imagination right from the beginning till the end. The novel makes an awesome start, so poetic and rich in literature. I could experience a flawless writing which obviously resulted in a smooth reading experience. But at some point in time, I thought it lacked poetic justice as Diane, the warrior of li
Bill
Marie McKean has put together a very exciting, very dark, fantasy book with Druids and Faeries fighting for control of the world. This book is not for the faint of heart, as some very horrific events take place. If you are up to it, then grab this great novel, lock the doors and windows, and settle down to a little horror. Very well written and I can hardly wait for the sequel.
Angela
9 May 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
1 February 2014: $0.00 FREE today on Kindle
Jessica ~Books galore~
Sam
I won this book last month in a give-away and have finally been able to devote some time to finishing it. Unfortunately I was left disappointed.

The book starts off strong, it cultivates an almost fairytale like feel and sets hopes high for a classic tale of good versus evil. You do get that tale, however it's unrefined, and the inconsistent pacing is a barrier to entry in what could have been a much more absorbing story.

There were passages in the book that were real page turners and there were
Patricia Eddy
Born of Oak and Silver is an epic Druidic fantasy that spans decades. It follows Daine, a Druid, from the time just before his birth until his death (this isn't a spoiler, the prologue is him speaking of his own death and subsequent rebirth so you know it's coming eventually).

Daine is a strong but real character, meaning he has some pretty significant flaws at different points in the book that lead him along a path that's both wonderful and terrible at the same time. The supporting characters w
Kristen Chandler
I got a free copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review. (Lovers of Paranormal). I selected this book because (a) I have become an avid fantasy reader lately, and (b) it sounded completely different from most of the fantasy I had read before, and I love coming across fresh reads. Before reading this, I didn't really know much about druids. Now I know more. This book is also pretty dark, so if you don't like creepy sinister stuff......its not for you. If you DO like that kind of s ...more
Rebecca
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review and I have to say, WOW. This is a fantasy that begins in the 1900s in Strasbourg, on the border between France and Germany. We get a little background first, just a sweet treat, and then we meet our main protagonist, a boy named Daine.

The author brings the reader along, from Daine's birth on, chronicling his life as a happy boy with simple, humble, loving parents and an adopted grandfather, onward through the lessons he learns into his adult
Giordahno
The life of Daine is beautifully written, I really enjoyed the flow of the writing which made it a quick-read. Did not know what to expect about this Goodreads giveaway, it’s definitely a dark fantasy with gruesome seems that didn’t affect me much but might be strong enough to bother others. When an author allows him/herself to be so graphic, I think it really adds so much more to their book. Mainly because the book is full of emotion-evoking scenes. Do recommend.
Claire
I was given this book in exchange for an honest review from Lovers of the Paranormal.

I personally did not find the opening chapter to be gripping, it was a bit of a grind to get through, but once I persevered, I really enjoyed the rest of the book.

It follows the history of Daine Caradoc, a young man who is marked by Druidry and a curse. It reads more like a biopic, starting from before his birth and skipping years at a time. It details his family, training and life from the moment he is singled
Danielle
This must be the first REAL rating of this book. Lesson learned - pay attention to the number of reviews.
Vanessa Morton
This is a 3.75 star rating. Five stars for plot; Four for characterization; three for scene setting; and three for readability of author writing style.

This book has a solid plot and interesting characters. Be prepared to wade through some awkwardness at the beginning. The narrative voice had an old fashioned clunky tone, and there were many repeated words and even repeated phrases. Ignore them and just keep reading.

The plot picked up at the 25% point, and I became drawn into the Druid history an
Deborah
I was given Born of Oak and Silver (The Caradoc Chronicles, #1) by Marie McKean in exchange for an honest review (LOP).

What a great story. I was immediately drawn in with evocative and atmospheric lines such as, "When I open my eyes, the solemn angels that silently guard their keep are painted in a deep sorbet of colors, highlighting the planes of their cold and chiseled faces. In this light, these pale stone markers of the dead serve only as softly warmer reminders of what once was." and "I can
Arabella Thorne
An amazing journey with wizardly Druid Daine who fights the good fight against the Sidhe in the form of the seductive and very powerful Maurelle. The story moves from Daine's home in Strasbourg to Ireland--and on back and forth through time! McKean uses very ornate language to move her extremely rich tale to her startling conclusion!
Paula
Born of Oak & Silver (The Caradoc Chronicles #1)

I received a free copy, through LoP, in exchange for a review.

There are certain things in life you can change or alter, but there is one thing that cannot in Daine's life. He was born with the Curse of the Four Fathers; he was to be the savior, the Druid to end it all. To finally drive the cursed Fae back to their world and to stop entering ours, to do as they pleases. Daine choose this path and trained for this final purpose. But, sometimes th
FrumpBurger
Review book. Druids, faeries, battle for earth, etc. Entertaining and well-written, though not the sort of novel I tend to gravitate towards on my own.
Skaistė
After reading synopsis I found myself curious to read this story. The beginning created a mood, a bit sad, a bit mixed with sorrow, making hints of past still alive and hurting. I felt touched by these emotions. And then was revealed a shocking fact about the person who's telling this story. All of this made me interested to know more about him and to know what his story is.

It was quite easy to read. There was told a story about a life of a boy. At first it felt a bit slow, peaceful and kind, b
Marissa
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review (LoP or Lovers of Paranormal).

Born of Oak and Silver is the story of Daine, a boy born to and raised by a human couple who eventually discovers as he grows up that he is not only a Druid, but a Druid with a vital role to play in an epic battle with the Druid's enemies, the Fae. In this first installment in The Caradoc Chronicles series, a reader sees Daine mature into a strong, powerful man, who falls in love and suffers many l
Marianne
There were some aspects to this novel that were nice to read and some that simply...weren't.

First, McKean's prose is mostly delightful. The first chapter leaned toward purple, maybe a dark lavender, like maybe she was trying too hard. But then it settled down into something clean that you could sink into without shaking your head at awkward phrasing, jumbled sentence structure, or poor word choice. Her descriptions are clear, bringing you right into the setting.

The first chapter also was mislea
Anthony Toro

“Born of Oak and Silver” is an epic Druidic fantasy.
The book is following the life of Daine, a druid and sworn protector of the Earth, and his everlasting fight against the fairies, for the world control. Daine is the Druid mentioned in prophecy to help protect humankind from the world of the Fae, who are trying to break through the barrier between worlds to enslave the human race. The key to the prophecy is finding the long-lost Sword of Light, which will allow the Druids to defeat the Fae.

Drui
Christie
Oct 16, 2013 Christie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Christie by: Author
Shelves: posted-on-blog
I was given a copy in turn for an honest review. I approached this book as I always do. I refuse to read any reviews about a book. I don’t want anything to sway my thoughts. To me it’s like Christmas morning. I refuse to peak at my gifts under the tree…it ruins the surprise.

“Born of Oak and Silver,” was a pretty fast read for me. I was able to finish the book in one day. I delayed in writing my review only because of personal stuff going on. (My apologies to the author) “Born of Oak and Silver,”
Cami
Daine can't save everyone

Tale of a young couple who have not yet had children, but then a neighbor moves in and says he can help, but neither knows the other has been told this. Soon Daine is born and as he grows, learns that he is a druid that must protect the humans. All seems hopeless after the jump into the silver where time moves at a much faster pace, and years go by in the blink of an eye. Will Daine conquer the Sidhe, or be conquered? free download
  • Urchin (The Fairytail Saga #0.5)
  • The Short Life of Sparrows
  • Reborn (Guardian, #3)
  • Stiltskin
  • Bleeds My Desire (Blood Bonds, #1)
  • Cum să uiţi o femeie
  • Arta conversației
  • Through Time-Pursuit (Through Time, #1)
  • The Evil Queen
  • Jigsaw
  • Division of the Marked (The Marked, #1)
  • Scandal (Scandal, #1)
  • Empyreal Fate
  • The Novellas
  • Miss Nobody (Shaw Family Saga, Book 1)
  • The Opposite of Magic
  • Waking the Merrow
  • Dirt (The Dirt Trilogy, #1)
Marie McKean was born in rural Utah, far from city life. Surrounded by the Abajo Blue Mountains, she gained a passion for the serenity of nature. When a young adult, her sheltered and quiet-mountain life came to an abrupt end when she moved to the "Big Apple." New York City opened her eyes to a whole new world. She later moved to San Francisco in pursuit of her advancing career and the completion ...more
More about Marie McKean...

The Caradoc Chronicles (3 books)
  • Once Within (The Caradoc Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Born of Ash and Iron (The Caradoc Chronicles, #2)
Stone Faced Angel (Stone Angels, #1) Once Within (The Caradoc Chronicles, #1.5) Born of Ash and Iron (The Caradoc Chronicles, #2) Stone Faced Angel (The Stone Angels Saga Book 1) Born of Ash and Iron (The Caradoc Chronicles Book 2)