Start by marking “The Purification Ceremony” as Want to Read:
The Purification Ceremony

The Purification Ceremony

At a young age in the Maine woods, Diana Jackman learned to move freely in the wilderness, to sense a world invisible to most. A natural tracker from a long line of hunters, she has been taught by betrayal and loss to guard her feelings behind a wall of half truths and silence. It has cost her many things: her family, her happiness, her peace. And it has brought her to a b ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 347 pages
Published July 1st 1998 by Avon Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Purification Ceremony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purification Ceremony

Katherine
A classic thriller that explores both the human reaction to being hunted and the eddies of memory. The plot moves quickly and information is well-paced as is the norm in well-written murder-mystery thrillers. The stereotypes of the genre are undercut by the inclusion of magical-realism in the arguably underdeveloped and underexplored elements of Native American spirituality. All in all, an enjoyable book.
Paul
Aug 21, 2011 Paul rated it liked it
Mark T. Sullivan's "The Purification Ceremony" focuses on Diana Jackman, a woman of Native American ancestry who has separated from her husband and family in the wake of her estranged father's suicide. His death re-awakens long-suppressed emotional issues for Diana, and, in a bid to reconnect with her family's love, respect and near-worship of nature and the outdoors, she books a deer hunting trip in British Columbia.

Things almost immediately go wrong, however, as Diana stumbles across the dead
Keksisbaby
Ich war ehrlich gesagt enttäuscht. Toxic war einfach um Längen besser. Der Anfang war dröge. Kann aber einfach sein, das man dafür Wald und Jagdfan sein muß. Ich war echt kurz davor es abzubrechen, wäre es nicht auf Seite 90 spannend geworden. Eine Gruppe von Jägern im Kanadischen Wald jagen auf nem exklusiven Grundstück Hirsche von einem Ausmaß das man nur durch genetische Manipulationen erreicht. Doch bald schlägt das Weidmannglück um in Angst, denn ein Psychopath schwingt sich auf zur Säuberu ...more
Marvin
Oct 30, 2010 Marvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
You can download The Purification Ceremony for free from the author's website.

A riveting novel that is one part adventure, one part fantasy horror, and one part suspense thriller. Sullivan combines these expertly and gives us a fresh protagonist in Diana "Little Crow" Jackman, a Native -American who struggles in two cultures. The author is a skilled action writer who can also write believable characters. Recommended.
Bill Syken
Nov 02, 2015 Bill Syken rated it it was amazing

My agent sent me this book, and having finished it, I can see why. Purification Ceremony is a clinic in building a narrative that is strong in both suspense and story, and it also takes the read deep into a world that was for me unfamiliar—the worlds of deer hunting, and Native American psychedelia. It's an impressive achievement.
Mirja
A really good idea, very gripping. I read this book in such a short time and just couldn't put it down. Then why only 3 out 5 in the rating? I'd say it's the bad translations fault as I read it in german, though I can't say if it would be the same writing I had problems with if I had read the book in english. Either way, a good idea with a few bumps along the way but still full of suspense.
Maurean
Sep 12, 2011 Maurean rated it liked it
My second read of Sullivan's work...this was enjoyable, but forgettable. (I read "Ghost Dance" several years ago, apparently - based on my review at the time - I enjoyed that one as well, but I don't remember the story at all...) If I come across another by this author I'd read it, but I won't actively look for others.
Julie Johnson
Mar 07, 2014 Julie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read this about 10 years ago and the story stuck with me -- always a good sign of a good read. If I could I would give it 3 and a half stars. I enjoyed the read and could see how it might make a good movie.
NATUI
Nov 01, 2011 NATUI rated it it was ok
This book was okay. It held my interest well enough, and I remember thinking several times that this would make a good movie if properly done. A good book to pass the time but nothing earth-shattering.
Ann
Apr 16, 2013 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Obviously the writer knows a lot about hunting, which was interesting. However the protagonist seemed weaker than necessary and stronger than what is believable at times (her vs.a pack of wolves?). The Native rituals and history was interesting as was the respect of nature and human balance.
Cameron
Jun 09, 2011 Cameron rated it liked it
What's not to love? A strong woman character. A crisis of character. A winter snow setting. Isolated camp. Mystery and gore....
Medhya
Oct 25, 2015 Medhya rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I wouldn't describe it as a page turner. But I did enjoy reading it and continue to read it every day
Maura
Oct 25, 2014 Maura rated it liked it
I don't remember too much about this at all. But I remember liking it and feeling like it was a good suspense novel. I should probably go back and read it again.
Vikki
Mar 17, 2010 Vikki rated it really liked it
A woman who is part Indian and a deer hunter go to a Lodge for a hunt. Many things happen. Very suspenseful. I really liked this book.
Anette
Jan 07, 2013 Anette rated it it was amazing
Sehr gutes Buch, aber nur in der Originalversion zu empfehlen, da die deutsche Übersetzung sehr stümperhaft ist.
Sandra G.
Sandra G. rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2010
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2010
Peter Planz
Peter Planz rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2012
Michael Barrs
Michael Barrs rated it liked it
May 30, 2007
Beebee
Beebee rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Les.
Les. rated it liked it
May 09, 2009
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Vicki Tyley
Vicki Tyley rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
gluecksbaerchi
gluecksbaerchi rated it it was ok
May 29, 2011
Tascha
Tascha rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Schaf
Schaf rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2012
Anna Pipatti
Anna Pipatti rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Mikaela Ahlin
Mikaela Ahlin rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2013
Helge Morgenstern
Helge Morgenstern rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
  • Medusa
  • Cool Like That (So For Real, #4)
  • Hottest Blood: The Ultimate in Erotic Horror  (Hot Blood, #3)
  • Scion's Lady (Gil Trilogy, #2)
  • Crack-Up
  • The Bone Polisher (Simeon Grist Mystery, #6)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Der Greif
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • Het Koningsboek
  • Lautlos
  • Robin and Ruby
  • A Taste for Passion (Kendrian Vampires, #1)
  • Dust Devils
  • Future Indefinite (The Great Game, #3)
  • Ratcatcher (Matthew Hawkwood, #1)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
Mark T. Sullivan (b. 1958) is an author of thrillers. Born in a Boston suburb, he joined the Peace Corp after college, traveling to West Africa to live with a tribe of Saharan nomads. Upon returning to the United States, he took a job at Reuters, beginning a decade-long career in journalism that would eventually lead to a job as an investigative reporter for the San Diego Tribune.

Sullivan spent th
More about Mark T. Sullivan...