Start by marking “Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopaedia” as Want to Read:
Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopaedia

Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopaedia

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  2,405 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This encyclopaedia offers guidance to Tolkien's world of Middle Earth and the Undying Lands. It draws together every important aspect of his vast cosmology in over 500 alphabetic entries covering five subject areas - history, geography, sociology, natural history anad biography.
Published October 1st 1992 by Collier Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Tolkien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tolkien

Allison
Aug 25, 2012 Allison rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tolkien Enthusiasts
Shelves: tolkien
I always wanted to say that I had read an entire encyclopedia. Well, now I can say that I have. However, it is as much fun as I thought it would be. Luckily, this was a Tolkien-/Middle-earth-focused encyclopedia so the fun and interest factor were considerably higher than any other type of encyclopedia out there. I really enjoyed the first parts. This book really helped me to conceptualize and visualize the creation of Arda and Middle-earth, in particular, and to understand the changes in the wo ...more
Nicholas Whyte

As an encyclopedia of Middle-Earth it doesn't hold a candle to Foster's Complete Guide; odd things like mis-spellings of'Rivendell' on the second page, of Éothéod in the title of the relevant entry, etc; separate entries (just to pick the first of very many such examples that caught my eye) in the geographical section for Amon Amarth, Mount Doom and Orodruin despite them all being the same mountain (and not explaining what languages the first and third n
Andre
1) Deutsche Rezension
2) Englisch Review

Deutsche Rezension
Eigentlich gibt es über dieses Buch nicht viel zu sagen. Wenn man es sich durchliest so klingt es durchaus sehr gut, wie eine Enzyklopädie auch sein sollte, wenn die Illustrationen auch zwischen annehmbar und schlecht hin und her schwanken.
Aber leider kann man nicht leugnen, dass sie nicht nur vieles gar nicht drin haben was in den Büchern sehr wohl erwähnt und mitunter sogar wichtig war(view spoiler)
Chris
This is a work that attempts to live up to its title: it includes an introduction to Tolkien’s published works (not just related to Middle Earth), then rushes straight into chapters on history, geography, peoples and nations (pretentiously called sociology here), natural history and a Who’s Who in Middle Earth, finally ending with indices and acknowledgements. Because David Day doesn’t just limit himself to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, there are charts and maps that help to place the Wa ...more
Nicholas
My childhood was screwed up to say the least. Not in a serious sorta way, but in a way that destined me to a life where I would be sitting here and happily reviewing Tolkien: The Illustrated Encyclopedia. This situation is even more screwy because my screwy love of all things academic was caused by having this book.

I'll admit, when I first read Lord of the Rings I was totally confused. First, I read the Fellowship THEN read The Hobbit, before ever picking up the others (which I did not for seve
Lucinda
This is a book that any fan of JRR Tolkien should not be without, as it is an indespensible guide that covers everything within Tolkien's world of Middle-Earth and the undying lands. This volume is filled with beautiful illustrations both paintings and origional sketches (from the Tolkien Bestiary) that transport you to the heart of middle-earth, bringing his captivatingly creative and unique creatures to life. Tolkien's cosmology is explained in extrordinary depth and detail, covering all aspec ...more
C.C.R. Sorge
basically the same as the bestiary of the same author, invaluable.
James M. Madsen, M.D.
Although the entries in this encyclopedia are helpful, you get more than your purchase-price value from the excellent maps and chronology in the beginning of this comprehensive resource. I consider it an essential companion, along with the revised edition Karen Wynn Fonstad's The Atlas of Middle-earth, to a reading of The Silmarillion; and even though the maps in The Atlas of Middle-earth are indispensable, they don't replace the maps and the chronology at the beginning of David Day's book.
Dominick
Well, this is something of a mixed bag. On the one hand, it includes a lot of useful information. On the other, it is poorly organized and doesn't use cross-referencing, so there's a lot of repetition. There are also occasionally misleading entries. Furthermore, the illustrations are of highly variable quality, with some quite poor indeed. And it was edited with a spatula. Overall, this is not a creditable performance from a usually reliable Tolkien scholar.
Benjamin Duffy
Pro: the art. The book is absolutely loaded with illustrations, and each of the half dozen or so artists has an extremely distinct style, ranging from etching to watercolor. It's an amazingly beautiful collection.

Con: the accuracy. The book is almost as loaded with errors as it is with pictures, including boneheaded stuff like mislabeling a picture of Merry as Pippin and vice versa - in other words, things that reflect a fault not in research, but in editing.
Jim
i don't even like tolkien and i liked this book. for my reference use i'd of liked all the entries in order instead of broken into five sub-catagories.
having just read several of the goodreads reviews i find now know this book has many errors, but it still has really cool art and for three bucks at half-price books i don't feel bad
Aline
Oct 06, 2010 Aline rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tolkien fans
Shelves: fantasy, non-fiction
The best Guide to Tolkien, written by a specialist of Elvish. Every Tolkien fan should have it in his/her bookshelves. It give precious data about the people of Middle-Earth, the places, the animals, the languages,... All these are easy to find, because of the alphaberical order used by the author.
Drea85
Overall a rather nice compendium with beautiful illustrations. It is illuminating about Tolkien's inspiration and sources, yet serves only as an introductory work. For more thorough studies regarding Tolkien's Middle Earth Cycle is it, however, not suitable.
Paul
an amazing collection of histories, maps, and character profiles. this is a wonderful guide with some really great artwork. usually these aren't the kinds of books you read cover to cover, but this is an exception. i thoroughly enjoyed it.
TheDenizen
The art is beautiful, and the summary time lines are actually quite a useful aid when reading through The Silmarillion. However, several entries are plagued by minor spelling errors...points off for that.
slaveofone
Good reference material for reading (or re-reading) Tolkien's Middle-Earth masterpieces--especially for those unfamiliar with "The Silmarillion." Rather uninspiring drawings and artwork, however.
James
An inferior and cut-down reworking of 'Tolkien Bestiary'. Buy that instead if you can.
Brian
OK - I haven't read this book cover to cover. It's not that kind of book really. I am a Tolkien fan and I love to dip into and browse through it
Sofia
Probably my first Tolkien reference book so it has a special place in my heart. I particularly enjoy the chronology tables and the geography charts.
Malvin Christo
It was great, amazing illustration. Though some of the concepts of Tolkien's perilous realms a bit different from mine
Kellie
Gorgeous book depicting everything Tolkein. A must have for any fan of Middle Earth.
Albert Fàbrega
This is the perfect book for tolkien's fans. Every doubt or question is resolved here
Sofia
Spanish translation of David Day's Illustrated Encyclopedia.
Ana*
tolkien know-it-all ;P
Iain Watson
Tolkien by David Day (1993)
Julie Dalla
Julie Dalla marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • Tolkien's World: Paintings of Middle-Earth
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • The Journeys Of Frodo
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues: Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings
  • Meditations on Middle Earth: New Writing on the Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Atlas of Middle-Earth
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings: The Amazing Myths, Legends and Facts Behind the Masterpiece
  • Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth
David Day (b. 14 October 1947 in Victoria, British Columbia) is a Canadian author of over forty books: poetry, natural history, ecology, mythology, fantasy, and children's literature. Internationally he is most notably known for his literary criticism on J. R. R. Tolkien and his works.

After finishing high school in Victoria, British Columbia, Day worked as a logger for five years on Vancouver Isla
More about David Day...
A Tolkien Bestiary Tolkien's Ring The "Hobbit" Companion A Guide To Tolkien The World of Tolkien