Start by marking “Mother Teresa, in My Own Words” as Want to Read:
Mother Teresa, in My Own Words

Mother Teresa, in My Own Words

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  761 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The collection of quotes, stories, and prayers in this book are all her own words and experiences. They were compiled from various sources. Her undying faith and concern of the human spirit is reflected in these passages. In her years of work, Mother Teresa has brought God to millions in places of darkness. Let her share her hope, faith, and love with you.
Published September 1st 1997 by Liguori Publications (first published 1996)

Theresa Powers
This book is so good. It only took me a few hours to read it. Once I started it I could not stop. She talks about poverty and how the poor are masters. We should look to them as examples of how to be in this world but not of this world. She also states how we need to give quality goods to people and share from what we have materially. The condescending attitude some have towards the poor is not what Jesus intended in his teachings. The poor are Jesus with another face. See Jesus when you look at ...more
Wendy
This is my favorite book of all time for some many reasons. I read it every year.
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: for inspiration.

A collection of mostly quotes, with some short stories, anecdotes and prayers that Mother Teresa has been recorded saying throughout her life either to the poor themselves, or the media. These are awesomely uplifting, wise and true words of wisdom. If everyone could only take Mother's words to heart and live them spiritually, world poverty would simply cease to exist. The book begins with a short biography and introduction to this selfless woman who won the No
This is a beautiful little book. I literally wept several times while reading it. Mother Teresa lived a beautiful life of love and devotion to the poor.
Rita Zhou
A great book!

It gives me power,I read it again and again.

Everyone should keep one.
Jennifer Defoy
I, like many others I'm sure, feel that Mother Teresa was a great person. This book is full of quotes from her. It is awe-inspiring to me that she did such great things and was as humble about what she was doing as she was.

While reading these quotes I was struck by how simple the things she said truly were, yet in their simplicity lies their magnitude. She wasn't helping the poor because it made her a better person, she was helping the poor because it was what she was needed to do to strengthen
Georgina Fineaso
i thought this book inspired me to go out there and spread the word of GOD! Mother Teresa has taught me so much things in life like being able to help and accomplish anything that may seem impossible to us but with the Lords strength we can do all things. All things are possible when God is in it, there is no limit to what God does. When he gives you orders and commands, you have to follow and do it with all your heart, mind and soul. If you search for the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul ...more
Peggy Wickham
An truly amazing book. It is a peek into the heart of a saint, who lived her faith, in spite of difficulties and "dark night of the soul". She was the most humble of souls, with an incredible window into the heart of Jesus. A book that I read nearly at the same time was "33 Days To Morning Glory", which chronicles the closeness to the Mother of Jesus for 4 saints: Saint Maximilian Kolbe, St. John Paul II, Blessed Mother Teresa (alright, technically not a saint yet, but she will be!) and St. Loui ...more
Deborah Vespo
A wonderful book of statements made by Mother Teresa during her years of ministry and service to the poor. Each statement reflects her love for the Lord and the love she feels in her service to the poor. The statements are grouped in various categories that reflect the idea behind the statement. Such as: holiness, love, Christ in the poor, generosity, prayer, and loneliness are just some of the examples. She was an amazing woman who set an example of a life of prayer, service, and love of God an ...more
Sena Honda
1Penguin lev1
10/27 60min
2nun.poor people. died.God.help.love

3Mother Teresa dressed in a poor blue and white sari because she wanted to work with very poor people.

4This book is about Mother Teresa. when i read it, i was impressed her belief to the god. I have interest what the god is in Mother Teresa.
Peter
Visited China in 1969. What is a communist? Page 39. "From God himself. He said,'Truly I tell you,just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,you did it to me'" (Matthew 25:40)Mother Teresa answered,"A child of God,a brother,a sister of mine."
P.85 When you have an headaches, share with how, Jesus must have suffered because of the crown of thorns. When you have pain to you back, share it with the pain Jesus must have felt when the soldiers have him the lashes. Whe
Karl
A compendium of disingenuous platitudes. This was a nauseating (and happily brief) experience.
Jessie Giannotti
This compilation of quotes and anecdotes from Mother Teresa is one of the few books that has changed by perspective of what it truly means to help others. It's a very short read, and the impact of those few hours, no matter what your beliefs or background, will encourage you to be a better person. The only reason I have not given 5 stars is I believe the title is a bit misleading, as it is a compilations of short sentences by Mother Teresa and not actually a book by Mother Teresa or an autobiogr ...more
Jeff Rasmussen
Very good book. Everyone would do well to read it.
Amy
Not a biography in and of itself, just a collection of quotes. That being said, though, it was inspirational, thought-provoking, and beautiful. She makes me want to be better.
Liliya Kibitskaya
Inspiring, riveting, peaceful!
Bridget
I'm very interested in Mother Teresa and the work she did to make our world a better place. I started with this book, but what I didn't realize is that it is just a collection of small sentences that she had said over the years. The author took these quotes and grouped them by category (love, faith, poverty, etc.). It was a very fast read, but it didn't really have any substance because nothing was actually in context. That's why I only gave it a 2 star rating.

Rachel
If I could only have a small bit of the humbleness and humility that was Mother Teresa...

What an amazing woman and what an inspirational book. Pick it up, turn to any page and be blown away by the words of a woman who spent the majority of her entire life living and working in poverty to make people's lives a little brighter.
Rosanna
This book was a great way to escape from all of the novels about murder and World War II that I have been reading. It puts the focus of life on Jesus. I am glad that I read it for Lent. The book contains many short quotes from Mother Teresa. It is quick to read, but thought provoking. I am sure that I will read it again.
Dee
Mother Teresa is one of the most inspirational women (and person) to have ever lived! A humble woman living for her faith and enriching countless lives along the way. This book is a testament to her humility and Christlike attitude. Well worth the read.
Bardha Ajeti
Mother Teresa has changed humanity with her words and actions. This particular book is composed of different quotes, letters and diary entries of the woman who is idolized and still remembered for her work in India and other places in the world.
Leena V.
Not quite certain of which version of her books I already read. I’m not a Catholic however I’ve found that her life speaks so well of what a Christ’s follower should live and her heart is amazingly pure and beautiful! So inspiring!!
Heidi
I enjoyed many of the quotes in this book, but feel I would be better served reading a biography about Mother Teresa's life and hope to do so soon! How can you not be inspired by this woman's example of humble Christlike service?
Diane Mueller
I have such a wide interest. Was in the library saw this on the new shelf and thought I would give it a try as I have always respected Mother Teresa. Now I have lots of great quotes that I will put in my book of quotes
A collection of beautiful little stories and quotes. I was both inspired and convicted. This is one of those books I know I'll come back to periodically, and get more out of it each time.
Christy
Jul 13, 2008 Christy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christy by: Sarah
Shelves: favorites
LOVED this book. I respect Mother Teresa so much and loved her beautiful quotes and perspectives. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone! Definitely one I'd like to re-read.
Steven Walker
One cannot read the words of Mother Teresa and not be touched by the beauty and love of her selfless devotion. If this book does not open your heart a little, you are not paying attention.
Carlin
This is a small book full of quotes by Mother Teresa. I thought there would be some stories or life experiences in it, which there really isn't. It's an uplifting thoughtful book.
David Cleaver
Sep 05, 2011 David Cleaver rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kelli Cleaver
Shelves: 2011, library-book
This is a wonderful book. Mother Teresa lived a wonderful inspirational life devoted to the poor and Jesus. We all should all be inspired to help the poor like Mother Teresa.
Mark
If you think you are a charitable and compassionate person, think again. You ain't jack diddly. Momma T. practiced and lived what others preach.
  • Mother Teresa
  • The Intimate Merton: His Life from His Journals
  • Teresa of Avila: The Progress of a Soul
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • Journal of a Soul
  • St. Francis of Assisi: A Biography
  • The Life of Saint Teresa of Ávila by Herself
  • The Theology of the Body: Human Love in the Divine Plan (Parish Resources)
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • Padre Pio: Man of Hope
  • John Paul the Great: Remembering a Spiritual Father
  • Where is That in the Bible?
  • The Lessons of Saint Francis: A Monk's Guide to Daily Life
  • Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Brigid's Cloak: An Ancient Irish Story
  • Ella: Princess, Saint and Martyr
  • The Duty of Delight: The Diaries of Dorothy Day
Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (pronounced [aɡˈnɛs ˈɡɔndʒa bɔjaˈdʒiu]), was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had b
More about Mother Teresa...
Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta No Greater Love A Simple Path In the Heart of the World: Thoughts, Stories and Prayers The Joy in Loving: A Guide to Daily Living

“Holiness does not consist in doing extraordinary things. It consists in accepting, with a smile, what Jesus sends us. It consists in accepting and following the will of God.” 57 likes
“Sometimes people can hunger for more than bread.
It is possible that our children, our husband, our wife, do not hunger for bread, do not need clothes, do not lack a house. But are we equally sure that none of them feels alone, abandoned, neglected, needing some affection? That, too, is poverty”
3 likes