Start by marking “Mother Teresa, in My Own Words” as Want to Read:
Mother Teresa, in My Own Words

Mother Teresa, in My Own Words

The collection of quotes, stories, and prayers in this book are all her own words and experiences. They were compiled from various sources. Her undying faith and concern of the human spirit is reflected in these passages. In her years of work, Mother Teresa has brought God to millions in places of darkness. Let her share her hope, faith, and love with you.
Published September 1st 1997 by Liguori Publications (first published October 1st 1996)

Theresa Powers
Feb 20, 2012 Theresa Powers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good. It only took me a few hours to read it. Once I started it I could not stop. She talks about poverty and how the poor are masters. We should look to them as examples of how to be in this world but not of this world. She also states how we need to give quality goods to people and share from what we have materially. The condescending attitude some have towards the poor is not what Jesus intended in his teachings. The poor are Jesus with another face. See Jesus when you look at ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: for inspiration.

A collection of mostly quotes, with some short stories, anecdotes and prayers that Mother Teresa has been recorded saying throughout her life either to the poor themselves, or the media. These are awesomely uplifting, wise and true words of wisdom. If everyone could only take Mother's words to heart and live them spiritually, world poverty would simply cease to exist. The book begins with a short biography and introduction to this selfless woman who won the No
Wendy
Nov 02, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book of all time for some many reasons. I read it every year.
Lindsey
Jan 24, 2017 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so good. Insightful, inspiring and relevant. Checked out from the library but I'll be buying a copy to read again!
Nov 05, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful little book. I literally wept several times while reading it. Mother Teresa lived a beautiful life of love and devotion to the poor.
Rita Zhou
Jun 22, 2009 Rita Zhou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book!

It gives me power,I read it again and again.

Everyone should keep one.
Jennifer Defoy
I, like many others I'm sure, feel that Mother Teresa was a great person. This book is full of quotes from her. It is awe-inspiring to me that she did such great things and was as humble about what she was doing as she was.

While reading these quotes I was struck by how simple the things she said truly were, yet in their simplicity lies their magnitude. She wasn't helping the poor because it made her a better person, she was helping the poor because it was what she was needed to do to strengthen
Aimee Allen Hoskins
This is a small book but that does not reflect the amount of inspiration that one receives while reading Mother Teresa's reflections. I highly recommend everyone to take the time to read her wise words, act on them, and see change not only in your home but our world.
Heidi The Hippie Reader
A powerful testament to Mother Teresa's humanity, humbleness and faith. I do not share all of her views, but I found it impossible not to be swayed by her unwavering belief in the unseen.

"Not given to much talking, Mother Teresa spoke only when necessary. Thus her words, never labored nor many, were convincing." pg vii, introduction.

"I have the feeling that we are in such a hurry that we do not even have time to look at one another and smile." pg 23. I believe that too. What does a smile cost? N
Shaun Tan
May 25, 2015 Shaun Tan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-and-autobio
After watching Mother teresa of Calcutta. I went through this book. Of late, Mother Teresa's name has been mired in controversy in India (and UK in 90's). Some accuse that she was a fanatic missionary and her sole aim was to convert people. Some accuse that facilities provided by her were unhygenic-dangerous. So on and so forth.

Although this book is a small one - it moved me. I would like to read it again sometime. And has left me wanting to know more about her. Also, I am no Christian - so eve
Peter
Visited China in 1969. What is a communist? Page 39. "From God himself. He said,'Truly I tell you,just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,you did it to me'" (Matthew 25:40)Mother Teresa answered,"A child of God,a brother,a sister of mine."
P.85 When you have an headaches, share with how, Jesus must have suffered because of the crown of thorns. When you have pain to you back, share it with the pain Jesus must have felt when the soldiers have him the lashes. Whe
Georgina Fineaso
i thought this book inspired me to go out there and spread the word of GOD! Mother Teresa has taught me so much things in life like being able to help and accomplish anything that may seem impossible to us but with the Lords strength we can do all things. All things are possible when God is in it, there is no limit to what God does. When he gives you orders and commands, you have to follow and do it with all your heart, mind and soul. If you search for the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul ...more
Peggy Wickham
Jun 03, 2014 Peggy Wickham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An truly amazing book. It is a peek into the heart of a saint, who lived her faith, in spite of difficulties and "dark night of the soul". She was the most humble of souls, with an incredible window into the heart of Jesus. A book that I read nearly at the same time was "33 Days To Morning Glory", which chronicles the closeness to the Mother of Jesus for 4 saints: Saint Maximilian Kolbe, St. John Paul II, Blessed Mother Teresa (alright, technically not a saint yet, but she will be!) and St. Loui ...more
Jessie Giannotti
Jun 15, 2013 Jessie Giannotti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This compilation of quotes and anecdotes from Mother Teresa is one of the few books that has changed by perspective of what it truly means to help others. It's a very short read, and the impact of those few hours, no matter what your beliefs or background, will encourage you to be a better person. The only reason I have not given 5 stars is I believe the title is a bit misleading, as it is a compilations of short sentences by Mother Teresa and not actually a book by Mother Teresa or an autobiogr ...more
Deborah Vespo
Jan 18, 2014 Deborah Vespo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book of statements made by Mother Teresa during her years of ministry and service to the poor. Each statement reflects her love for the Lord and the love she feels in her service to the poor. The statements are grouped in various categories that reflect the idea behind the statement. Such as: holiness, love, Christ in the poor, generosity, prayer, and loneliness are just some of the examples. She was an amazing woman who set an example of a life of prayer, service, and love of God an ...more
Bridget
Jul 08, 2011 Bridget rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm very interested in Mother Teresa and the work she did to make our world a better place. I started with this book, but what I didn't realize is that it is just a collection of small sentences that she had said over the years. The author took these quotes and grouped them by category (love, faith, poverty, etc.). It was a very fast read, but it didn't really have any substance because nothing was actually in context. That's why I only gave it a 2 star rating.

Sena Honda
Nov 18, 2015 Sena Honda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1Penguin lev1
11/18 90min
2nun.poor people. died.God.help.love

3 a Mother Teresa dressed in a poor blue and white sari because she wanted to work with very poor people.
b Acutually she was rich girl, but she tried to see from same side with poor people. I was impressed this sentence.

4This book is about Mother Teresa. when I read it, i was impressed her life. She never forgot pleasure.
Tommie
Jan 15, 2016 Tommie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Makes me proud to be a Christian. I've gotten so far away from religion as I've grown older and after reading this, there is little wonder why. Thanks you Mother Teresa for restoring my faith.
I wish I could send a copy to every politician claiming to be Christian. They'd be struck by lightning!
Rosanna
Mar 30, 2012 Rosanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great way to escape from all of the novels about murder and World War II that I have been reading. It puts the focus of life on Jesus. I am glad that I read it for Lent. The book contains many short quotes from Mother Teresa. It is quick to read, but thought provoking. I am sure that I will read it again.
Rachel
Aug 24, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
If I could only have a small bit of the humbleness and humility that was Mother Teresa...

What an amazing woman and what an inspirational book. Pick it up, turn to any page and be blown away by the words of a woman who spent the majority of her entire life living and working in poverty to make people's lives a little brighter.
Jessica
Jan 03, 2017 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an abridged version of one of her books and it was AMAZING. (I couldn't find it on GoodReads, so I'll just mark it as this one as I'm sure it's also amazing.) Her insights into spirituality and the importance of prayer and service are beautiful. I'll find more of her words to consume, they feed my spirit.
Apr 29, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple reminders: see Christ in each person you meet and treat them as such; help one person at a time, don't worry about the masses; the poor are not only physically poor...the spiritually poor around us might be worse off; start with helping those closest to you like your family and neighbors!
Diane Mueller
Sep 26, 2009 Diane Mueller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have such a wide interest. Was in the library saw this on the new shelf and thought I would give it a try as I have always respected Mother Teresa. Now I have lots of great quotes that I will put in my book of quotes
Heidi
Nov 17, 2011 Heidi rated it liked it
I enjoyed many of the quotes in this book, but feel I would be better served reading a biography about Mother Teresa's life and hope to do so soon! How can you not be inspired by this woman's example of humble Christlike service?
Dee
Jun 14, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mother Teresa is one of the most inspirational women (and person) to have ever lived! A humble woman living for her faith and enriching countless lives along the way. This book is a testament to her humility and Christlike attitude. Well worth the read.
Bardha Ajeti
Jun 25, 2008 Bardha Ajeti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mother Teresa has changed humanity with her words and actions. This particular book is composed of different quotes, letters and diary entries of the woman who is idolized and still remembered for her work in India and other places in the world.
Leena V.
Not quite certain of which version of her books I already read. I’m not a Catholic however I’ve found that her life speaks so well of what a Christ’s follower should live and her heart is amazingly pure and beautiful! So inspiring!!
 Barb Bailey

A inspiring book about a devoted woman. Makes you think ....what can I do to help others!
Flower
Jan 19, 2010 Flower marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
found on my bookshelf
Carolyn
Dec 05, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an unselfish woman and so dedicated to God and to helping those everyone else forgot.
  • Mother Teresa
  • Mother Teresa
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • Teresa of Avila: The Progress of a Soul
  • Mary Magdalene: A Biography
  • The Holy Twins: Benedict and Scholastica
  • Letter and Spirit: From Written Text to Living Word in the Liturgy
  • Joan of Arc
  • The Lessons of Saint Francis: How to Bring Simplicity and Spirituality into Your Daily Life
  • The Way of Perfection
  • Where is That in the Bible?
  • Medjugorje: The Message
  • Brigid's Cloak: An Ancient Irish Story
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, or Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had become inte
More about Mother Teresa...

“Holiness does not consist in doing extraordinary things. It consists in accepting, with a smile, what Jesus sends us. It consists in accepting and following the will of God.” 63 likes
“The first requirement for prayer is silence. People of prayer are people of silence.” 5 likes