Start by marking “The Hiccupotamus” as Want to Read:
The Hiccupotamus

The Hiccupotamus

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  1,532 Ratings  ·  198 Reviews
HIC HIC HIC What's worse than a chronic case of the hiccups? How about a HIPPO with a chronic case of the hiccups? Is there any cure, or are those hiccups doomed to stay? vibrant illustrations, spirited text, and unforgettable characters unite in this exciting debut work from talented author/illustrator Aaron Zens.
Published August 28th 2005 by Dogs in Hats Children's Publishing (first published August 2005)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
The Hiccupotamus is a fun, imaginative story. Many of the rhyming words are made-up, so it might be hard for younger kids to read, but my grandson loved listening to me read it.

The illustrations are colorful and cute!
Amy
Mar 04, 2017 Amy rated it really liked it
A consistently comical play on words, kids can't help but laugh out loud at the endeavors of a loving group of animals who try very hard to help their hippopotamus friend who has the hiccups.
Angie
Apr 04, 2013 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "There was a hippopotamus who hiccupped quite-a-lotamus. And every time he got'emus . . . he'd fall upon his bottomus.

Calamity ensues when an elephant, a centipede, and

a rhinoceros try finding a cure for hippo's colossal case

of hiccups. Zenz's creativity shines through with

his use of colored pencil in this off-the-wall

read-aloud. HIC! HIC! HIC!"

My Review: Well I have mixed feelings about this book. It is a really cute concept and the story is cute how all the other animals try to help
Annie
Jan 21, 2015 Annie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
One of the most charming and entertaining children's books I have come across in a long time. I got it as a Christmas gift for my two year old grandson who is beginning to love sitting and listening to short stories. I also thought the beautifully drawn and whimsical illustrations would be a hit. I was surprised when he opened it and found it was one of his four year old brother's favorite and frequent picks from the library. We literally read it every night for the two weeks they were here. The ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Cute art, but somewhat forced rhymes. Deliberately forced, but the gag gets a little wearing.

I think this is the only book on my shelves catalogued under "Medical remedies involving the use of buffalo — Fiction." Probably.

It has a fun disclaimer: "None of the characters were harmed (other than allergic rashes and minor chafing) in the making of this book." (In general the copyright notice page is whimsical.)

Make sure you turn all the way to the end to see the "Character Bios" page.
MerryMeerkat
5 Stars, Buy it.

I love the pastel art and colors. I love the rhyming, the story was adorable. The cast bios at the end was very sweet and silly. I sometimes wish children’s books were longer but I suppose there are only so many ways to rhyme Hiccupotamus. Definitely a good read for readers of all ages.
Kiera Turner
Jun 23, 2014 Kiera Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming
This book is so cute! It reminds me of a Dr. Seuss book because of the silly made up words and rhyming! The pictures were very appealing and it's just such a great book that preschoolers and kindergarteners would love!
Jim Sibigtroth
Dec 25, 2015 Jim Sibigtroth rated it really liked it
Very cute illustrations and flows well as a read-aloud.
Brenda
Jan 04, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book. I challenge anyone to read it without laughing out loud. The illustrations are very cute too.
Megan
Apr 28, 2015 Megan rated it it was amazing
So deliciously clever, witty, and funny. A truly delightful read!
ThatOne HippieChick
Very Cute and Rhymie, and, read in a super short timey

This is a nice fast read. Really cute, with oddball rhymes. It holds the attention of baby just fine!
And... Great for kids who hiccup a ton! Like mine!
Kerri
May 04, 2017 Kerri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read

My kids and I love this book. I love tongue twisters and this definitely tests my abilities. My kids love listening to me trip over the words as I read. Definitely recommend for anyone with young kids.
Emily Finnemore
Perfect bedtime read

I recommend this book for any silly kid who loves animals. In the words of Austin, that book with those animals was fun!
Jillian Kenyon
May 13, 2017 Jillian Kenyon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved

So cute hard for me to read to my daughter but fun to try and she loved it and so did i
Nick Shrode
Neat book

It a neat and silly little book, but it's a little hard to read. The boys keep asking about all the made up words. It got a little old pretty quick.
Mark S. Barry
Jun 04, 2017 Mark S. Barry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Great story for my daughter. She loved all the new funny words. She had a great time reading it to me.
Vina
Mar 21, 2017 Vina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ABSOLUTELY SPLENDIFEROUS!!!

This book was so fun to read to my little one. It kept his attention from the beginning to the end! The rhymes were so quick and yet so funny. I loved it!
chatti
Sep 27, 2016 chatti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This book was funny it kept my five year old laughing...great rhyming words I also enjoyed it keep writing more books for children
Evan Williamson
Apr 29, 2012 Evan Williamson rated it liked it
Summary
A hippopotamus gets the hiccups and his "friends" decided to help him out.

I can only start this review with one question: If a hippopotamus got hiccups, who would give more than two shits? After much research (AKA, repeated viewings of the movie Congo) I have found that hippopotami are complete and total assholes. The first half of this book proves this point as the hippopotamus (from the latin "monster douche"), runs from friend to friend disturbing their lifestyles to the point that th
Tom
Feb 18, 2017 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute cute cute

My kiddos love this book very cute and inventive great illustrations love this book. So much fun to read !!!!!
Brooke
Cute kids book!
Heidi-Marie
This is just a silly book, with silly rhyming, silly pictures, and a silly ending. I think the preschoolers will love it. Now I just have to practice the silly rhymes.

Originally 3 stars. The 4th star? The Cast bios. Best part of the book!

6/22/10 & 6/24/10 - They weren't rolling on the floor with laughter, but they had a lot of smiles from this book. They especially liked my hiccups. I think the colors and illustration design for this were also eye-catching for them. A very good choice.

2/1/12
Amanda Behrends
Sep 11, 2013 Amanda Behrends rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Summary - A hippo gets the hiccups and his friends try to find ways to cure him.
Curriculum connection - I cant really think of two many ways to use this in the classroom. It might be good as an activity in identifying rhyming word pairs (students can clap or give a thumbs up each time they hear a pair). This might also work okay for an activity to practice summarizing using the Someone-Wanted-But-So structure, particularly with students who are having difficulty because it is such a basic story
Kathleen
Mar 05, 2014 Kathleen added it
Shelves: 50-books, rhyming
This book is about a hippopotamus who tries to get rid of the hiccups. Instead of getting rid of his hiccups, he causes trouble to some animals so they find him therapy. The other animals thought of ways to get rid of the hiccups so they did all sorts of things like wrap him with licorice and secure him to a buffalo. At the end, the hippopotamus got rid of the hiccups, but everyone else had it. It is a funny story that kids will love. It has a lot of made-up words that have the same ending sound ...more
Katie Foster
Feb 07, 2014 Katie Foster rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book is about a hippopotamus who has to get rid of his hiccups. The book has a very funny storyline that would appeal to kids. It also has a lot of made-up words that have the same ending sound as the rhyming word. For example, the first line of the poem is:

"There was a hippopotamus
Who hiccuped quite-a-lotamus.
And every time he got'emus...
He'd fall upon his bottomus."

Truthfully, there isn't much of a storyline. At the end, the hippo doesn't have the hiccups anymore, but all of his friends t
Sandy
Sep 03, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing
A purple elephant with hiccups- just image that. This book is real tricky to read as it is a rhyming book with the author adding the ending to normal words to make them rhyme. I felt like I had had a few to drink while reading this story but the story and the pictures were fun so it was worth getting all tongue-tied. Try “centipede, cementipede,” and “accidentipede” and that will give you a taste for just two of the pages of what elephants adventure were as he tries to cure his hiccups. As he hi ...more
Laura Brenneisen
Title: The Hiccupotamus By: Aaron Zenz Copyright: 2005 Number of Pages: 36 Lit Require: Historical Fiction #1 picture book

This book is really cute, so cute I even bought it :) This book is about a hippo who cant stop hiccuping and along the way causes turmoil when he sees one of his friends doing something (that rhymes with what animal they are). So his friends are fed up and research ways to get rid of the hiccups and perform them on the hippo. The remedies worked!! Then, something really funny
Terry
This review is for the board book version.

Young Reader Reaction: Both children loved listening to this book read aloud. They thought the rhymes and the reader's hiccuping was hilarious. The kids asked to read this one again (several times!).

Adult Reader Reaction: I think this book is cute and funny. It is not my favorite book to read because the fake hiccuping makes me cough but the kids love it so it is worth it. I understood why they enjoyed Hiccupotamus.

Read our full review and add yours at T
Martha
Sep 16, 2013 Martha added it
A great picture book with a lot of bright colors and greatly illustrated, it has a lot going on. This story is about a hippo names Calamity that has the hiccups and has trouble getting rid of them. Calamity then is helped by his friends the elephant, centipede and the Rhinoceros and they try all sorts of things to help the hippo get rid of his hiccups. It's a good story that can easily make any child laugh for the silly ways that the hippos friends try to get rid of his hiccups. I would recomme ...more
Derek Cooke
Dec 07, 2012 Derek Cooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The hippo has a big problem and it is affecting everyone. He has the hiccups. Hippo goes to each one of his friends and tries to get their help, but something big and drastic happens each time. After all the friends gathered together, they decided they were going to help hippo get rid of the hiccups. They read books and then tried every crazy hiccup remedy possible. They tried spinning him in circles with licorice, tying him to buffalo, putting him in a fish tank and many more. Something finally ...more
  • Moo!
  • No T. Rex in the Library
  • Animal Strike at the Zoo. It's True!
  • Sneaky Sheep
  • Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)
  • Ducks Don't Wear Socks
  • The Big Wide-Mouthed Frog
  • Little Quack's New Friend
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Cat  Mouse
  • Cool Dog, School Dog
  • The Biggest Snowman Ever
  • My School's a Zoo!
  • Circle, Square, Moose
  • Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud
  • Alphabet Rescue
Aaron Zenz is the author and illustrator of The Hiccupotamus. He is the illustrator of 9 additional children's books as well.

Aaron lives in West Michigan. In addition to writing and illustrating, he also frequently visits schools and libraries where he inspires kids to read and write through fun, interactive programs."

More about Aaron Zenz...