Start by marking “The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)

The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle #1)

4.55  ·  Rating Details ·  428,603 Ratings  ·  27,533 Reviews
Told in Kvothe's own voice, this is the tale of the magically gifted young man who grows to be the most notorious wizard his world has ever seen.

The intimate narrative of his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, his years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-ridden city, his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a legendary school of magic, and his life as
Published March 27th 2007 by Penguin Group DAW Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about The Name of the Wind, please sign up.

Joethomma The Malazan books are some of the most absurdly complex fantasy novels ever written. This is a kid's book next to them. Grade 9 seems like an adequate…moreThe Malazan books are some of the most absurdly complex fantasy novels ever written. This is a kid's book next to them. Grade 9 seems like an adequate reading level. (less)

Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Apr 16, 2008 Shannon (Giraffe Days) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Shelves: fantasy, favourite, 2008
This is why I love fantasy so much. After a recent string of okay fantasy novels, a couple of good ones but nothing to get really excited about, I've rediscovered my passion thanks to this book. I'm so impressed, and so in love, I can't begin to describe it. But I can try to give you a feel for the book, if I can figure out where to start and how to do justice to this masterpiece.

Kvothe (pronounced like "Quothe") is a world-renowned figure of mystery with a disreputable reputation - a hero or a
Rob
Nov 29, 2011 Rob rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have no interest in imagining I'm someone who is stronger, deadlier, smarter, sexier, etc. than myself - a famed hero in a milqtoast world little different from modern North America.

I read fantasy to immerse myself in strange worlds ripe with danger and conflict. To uncork primal wonders. And there is none of that in Rothfuss' book.

His world is about as strange and dangerous as a mashed potato sandwich. His protagonist is comically overblown wish fullfillment for people who weren't popular i
Patrick
Feb 19, 2008 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I kinda liked this book. But my opinion on the matter probably shouldn't be trusted....
Mark Lawrence
Sep 24, 2011 Mark Lawrence rated it it was amazing
I'll give this 5* with no begrudging. I'm pretty easy with my 5*, they're not reserved for the best book I've ever read, just very good books. I thought The Name of the Wind was "very good". I read it in what for me was a very short span of time - it had that 'more-ish' quality that best sellers need.

Can I see what makes this the single best selling epic fantasy for a generation (apart from George Martin's series)? No. Excepting that perhaps the lesson is that to be head and shoulders above your
Ian
I'm sorry, Mr. Rothfuss. For realz, actual sorry. Honestly. I tried giving your book two stars out of pity, since I so wanted to like it and I'd feel bad about giving it one star and dragging down your average rating. Though you don't appear to need my pity. Your book has the highest average GR rating (4.49) of any of the book I've read. I finally dropped my rating down to one star because it's just a steaming pile of crap and I couldn't take the embarrassment of having posted a two-star rating ...more
Petrik
Mar 26, 2017 Petrik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: High Fantasy fans
4.5/5 Stars

As an avid adult fantasy reader, out of all books that I’ve been recommended to, Name of the Wind has always been recommended to me the most. Google, Goodreads, book reviewing sites, 9gag, even some people who doesn’t read a lot of fantasy books, they all praised the series and now that I’ve read it, it’s in my opinion while it’s slightly overrated, there’s no doubt that this is a fantastic adult high (not Epic, there’s a difference there) fantasy book.

In terms of plot, the book is ac
Samantha
Jul 26, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
I have so many unanswered questions and I'm not even mad about it.
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 12, 2013 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Raeleen by: Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Shelves: favorites, own
Upon this second reading, I've come to the conclusion that the audiobook for this isn't the greatest. SO, if you're reading it for the first time I INSIST that you read the actual book. 100% the best way to read this book.

Also I am SO READY for book two.
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Originally posted here.

This is definitely one of my new favorite books, so if you're a friend of mine, prepare to have me brutally push it on you until you give in and give it a go.

One of the reviews I read compared it to The Song of Ice and Fire and Lord of the Rings, saying that the book was equal to the best of fantasy written thus far. Well let me tell you, this doesn't stand alongside the fantasy greats, it knocks them off the shelves.

It isn't just some fantastic epic that you read for fun
j
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
Aug 25, 2009 colleen the convivial curmudgeon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like overwrought epics
Recommended to colleen the convivial curmudgeon by: Those evil goodreads people
"I must confess myself... disappointed."

(For those who don't get the reference, it's a line that Voldemort uses in Goblet of Fire - the movie version at least. I am using a Harry Potter reference in retaliation to all those people who are somehow comparing this to that series, for the sole reason that there's a freaking magical university. Really, there's very little comparison aside from that. I mean, not even to get into how the whole tone and whatnot is different, but, really, the fact that t
Danica
Oct 23, 2009 Danica rated it did not like it
Okay. Wow. Let's back the hell up here. How is this so highly rated? Are those genre-establishment reviewers who're thrashing about in paroxysms of fawning five-star NEXT BIG THING OMG joy wearing blinders or just so used to mediocre fantasy that this book actually comes across looking good in comparison? Why do these high fantasy disappointments keep on keeping on? Whose brilliant idea was it to throw around the GRRM and Harry Potter comparisons, thereby actually getting me to waste my pennies ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
Holy special snowflake, Gary Stu.

You know the type of socially awkward insecure guy who seems to lurk in the corner of every university class trying to correct everyone and whose only purpose is to make sure the world at large realizes just how much better he is at everything? And despite never seeing any actual evidence that he's God's gift to humanity, you genuinely DO NOT CARE either way and just want him to shut up? Welcome to 600+ pages narrated by that guy.

I wanted to love this book SO mu
Cait (Paper Fury)
OKAY WOW. THAT WAS FREAKING BRILLIANT AND I AM UTTERLY ABSOLUTELY ENTIRELY OBSESSED. And noooo I'm NOT GOING TO STOP SHOUTING. I shall keep shouting!! Because I loved it so!! It had like a checklist of so many things I love that it's most emphatically a Cait Book. And what is this checklist, you ask? Well, sir. Here you go:

CAIT'S CHECKLIST OF GOODNESS IN BOOKS:
• young genius narrator ✓
• who is totally too sassy at times because #clever ✓
• magic ✓
• plus an intensely amazing MAGIC SYSTEM THAT IS T
J.L.   Sutton
Jun 08, 2016 J.L. Sutton rated it it was amazing
Patrick Rothfuss’s The Name of the Wind (The KingKiller Chronicle #1) is a work I should have read a long time ago. This is a magnificent and wonderfully-written epic fantasy novel! I actually started it a little over a year ago, but didn’t get very far. At the time, I had been plowing through books, and I’ve since discovered that this is not the way to get to know or appreciate The Name of the Wind. This first book in The KingKiller Chronicle emphasizes the early years of a wizard named Kvothe, ...more
Bookdragon Sean
When I began reading this, I did so with a yawn. It initially appeared quite basic and completely uninspiring. I almost stopped reading after twenty five pages, shocking I know. If I did that it would have been a massive mistake because this is one of the best fantasy novels published in the last twenty years. Those first few pages did nothing to encourage me, but as soon as I realised that this is, essentially, a story about a story, I was hooked of Rothfuss’ magic.

This series has such a huge s
Maxwell
Jan 21, 2014 Maxwell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own-it, 2015
I don't have words adequate enough to express how much I enjoyed this book. Kvothe is now one of my all-time favorite characters. The world Patrick Rothfuss has created is so vivid and rich and well-imagined. I ate this book up because it was SO DARN GOOD!!! Seriously, no coherent and structured review here because I am just gushing over how fantastic this book is. If you even remotely enjoy fantasy books (and especially if you don't think you like fantasy) go read this book now! 5/5 stars and a ...more
Wealhtheow
Jul 29, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Pat Rothfuss (an excellent congoer)
I really disliked the main character, to the extent that I couldn't get more than 1/3rd through it. The other problem I had was the language: Kvothe's eyes are described as shards of ice just a sentence before his voice is likened to a sharp steel blade. Ah well--there's lots of other high fantasy in the world.
else fine
Jan 26, 2008 else fine rated it did not like it
I really, really wish I could give this negative stars.
Debbie
Apr 02, 2012 Debbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like badly plotted male wish fulfillment Gary Stus.
ETA #2: Spare me Rothfuss fanboys who just want to pick fights over negative reviews. I thought the book sucked. My thinking the book sucked in no way impacts how much others enjoyed the book. And if you are uncomfortable that I point out the lack of strong female characters, the main character as essentially a male Mary Sue, or the fact that the entire book was pure male fantasy wish fulfillment, then perhaps you should consider some personal reflection on why those points upset you.

ETA: I had
Jim
Jul 25, 2007 Jim rated it it was amazing
They say writers should write what they love, what they're passionate about, and Patrick Rothfuss loves stories. The Name of the Wind introduces us to Kvothe, a legendary figure now living a quiet life as an innkeeper. This is the first book in a trilogy, and takes us through the first day of Kvothe telling his story to The Chronicler, a wandering scribe and collector of stories. Rothfuss also shows us the power of stories. Kvothe is shaped both by the stories others tell about him as he grows u ...more
Kevin Xu
I heard a lot of hype and great things about this book from just about everyone and their mom in order to tell everyone else and their mom who has not read the book to read it so they can fall in love and rate it five stars. So I took a shot and check this book out of the library, ending up hating the book mostly because of the main character, Kovthe. Everything that he does to me might as well be a flaw, the flaw of being rational , not thinking of the consequences or the emotional effect it wo ...more
Stephen
6.0 stars. One of my All Time favorite novels. This is essentially a perfect novel. Having just finished it I can honestly say that even at 662 pages, there was not a slow or dull moment in the novel. I loved every page and can not wait for the sequel. HIGHEST POSSIBLE RECOMMENDATION!! Read it!!
Zain Otoom
Jan 08, 2017 Zain Otoom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I don't know what to say that would give this book justice. It's been a while since I have completed it and yet here I am unable to stop thinking about it.
Yes, it's true. This book was slow, really slow. But this book isn't like all fantasy books out there; good training to defeat evil, though there's an element of evil here, but it's not the focus of the story. Not at all. This book is the story of this young man who is considered a legend, you read to find out why and how he became this legen
Kirstine
So many of my favourite reviewers on Goodreads have praised this book to high heaven, so obviously I jumped at it without a second thought, just to end up feeling "meh" about it.

It would seem, sadly, I expected too much. Something I'm not wont to do, but even the best slip up, I suppose.
Still, I really hate not loving this book.

However, it isn't all bad. Let me tell you the good things first, like why it's getting 3 stars:

1. The idea
I love the switching back and forth between present time and t
Alejandro
Jan 23, 2017 Alejandro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alejandro by: Josue Cruz
Outstanding fantasy!

This is the first book in the “Kingkiller Chronicles” trilogy.

INTERVIEW WITH THE ARCANIST

…I don’t believe you can ever learn all of anything, let alone a language.

This novel, The Name of the Wind, while it’s a kinda recent published book (2007), it has risen quite quick to become one of the most popular books nowadays in the genre of fantasy.
The trilogy hasn’t been completed yet (at this moment, January 2017), and readers are still waiting for the third and final novel…
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
There are just some books that you have no conception of how much you will come to love, until you read the book, and fall in love. That's what happened to me with this book. At 722 pages, I think this is the longest book I've ever read and finished, all the way through. When I read it, the world fell away. The mark of a good book.

I worry about my reviews being too repetitive, and I don't want to mess this one up. So I'll keep it simple.

I would ask this book to marry me, if it was legal to marry
Bangadybangz
Jul 03, 2015 Bangadybangz rated it it was amazing
This was so epic! Intrigue, drama, humor, wit, and ALL THE EMOTIONS galore! Love this world, love the characters! Such an enthralling plot and I WANT MORE
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

IT WAS NIGHT AGAIN. The Waystone Inn lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.
The most obvious part was a hollow, echoing quiet, made by things that were lacking. If there had been a wind it would have sighed through the trees, set the inn's sign creaking on its hooks, and brushed the silence down the road like trailing autumn leaves.

This is only part of the prologue to THE NAME OF THE WIND that drew me right in, the whole prologue was so bea
Hirondelle
Mar 19, 2011 Hirondelle rated it it was ok
I do not know how to assign a numerical rating to this. As Sheryl Crow complained "if it makes you happy, it cant be that bad". But it makes me happy and yes, I think it is bad, sorry. This was a good read, it made me keep turning the pages and wanting to just go sit down reading it till I finished it. But it is, for my taste and from my point of view, bad - the writing, the plotting, the characterization.

First the good. Its a massive brick of a novel, seems to be designed to be one third of a s
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3)
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, part #2)
  • Towers of Midnight (Wheel of Time, #13)
  • House of Chains (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4)
  • Changes (The Dresden Files, #12)
  • Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • Breath and Bone (Lighthouse, #2)
It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends
More about Patrick Rothfuss...

The Kingkiller Chronicle (3 books)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #3)

“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.” 4112 likes
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.” 3050 likes