Start by marking “Introducing Camus” as Want to Read:
Introducing Camus

Introducing Camus (Introducing Series)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  158 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Introducing Camus portrays a man who was intellectual in the tradition of the great French humanists, a Resistance fighter during World War II, and also a great sensualist for whom sun, sea, sex, football and theatre were the answer to life's absurdity.
Published June 6th 2003 by Icon Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Camus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Camus

Chiron
I was a fan of this series of graphic introductions by "Icon Books" when I was a teenager. I'm catching up on them via abebooks now. Confusingly, there is a similar series published by "For Beginners" books which I am not such a fan of. Even more confusingly, my version of this book has the same cover as pictured but is called "Camus for Beginners"! I guess they had to change the name of the series..

Anyway I enjoyed this book. Like others in the series, it is perfect to read through in an evenin
Richard Bellis
An excellent introduction to all of Camus' major works as well as some of the more obscure stuff, it's really well put together and argues some interesting points. It is a delight to have the illustrations throughout the book, though I wouldn't say they really add anything to it. The only real failing, in my view, was that the author was a bit too dogmatic in his opinions on Camus. Generally he views Camus as a better journalist than writer (as he spends too much time in his novels making his ph ...more
Arefeh Rasouli
در هر مردِ گناهکاری، بی‌گناهی‌ای وجود دارد. این امر هر مجازات مرگی را نفرت‌انگیز می‌نماید.
Nicole
While this isn't an indepth biography of Camus it does give life to his literary carrer as well as his life. Camus's works of ficiton and philosophy all deal and are rooted in his own life dealing with his own existence and his country. If you read Camus works and don't understand him then this book will definitely help you. If you read Camus and do understand him then this book will only aid towards your affection for him. Set alongside a graphic novelisc it allows you to see Camus through his ...more
Jorge Martinez
Albert Camus was many things, from a philosopher with his existential ideas of his absurd reality, to a revolutionary who stood against the ideals of capital punishment. The text found inside "Introducing Camus" gives you insight on who the man was and summarizes the works and essays with a illustration on each page. The book is not too educational if you are looking for a comprehensive guide to Camus' life, but it is entertaining and well written.
Jasmine
A beautiful introduction, if you want explanations for why I classify camus as algerian and not as french look here. if you want to understand the absurd look here, if you want to understand pessimistic optimism look here.

"And carrying this absurd logic to its conclusion, I must admit that that struggle implies a total absence of hope (which has nothing to do with despair), a continual rejection (which must not be confused with renunciation), and a conscious dissatisfaction (which must not be c
Raghunath Joshi
Explains the life of Camus in the context of the political and social upheavals of his time in France and Algeria. On top of which ,beautifully overlain is his philosophical growth as seen through select passages from his works - Stranger,Plague,Caligula,The Host, The Rebel and finally The Fall.

Superb!
Sam
A great concise introduction to Camus' life and work. Amazing illustrations by Alain Korkos, which dramatically set the scene for Camus' narratives. There is just enough information to not be overwhelming - certainly better than anything Wikipedia could ever accomplish - always engaging the reader.
Andrew
I've only read one Camus ("The Outsider", although this book would indicate it best translated as "The Stranger"), and that was some time ago, but having recently been drawn to the graphic novel format I thought I'd try this guide as it was available in my library. As it happens, I thoroughly enjoyed the format. The illustrations both inform and break up the text, and the tone is frank and intelligent throughout. I feel I know much more about Camus than I ever did and it makes me want to read th ...more
Michelle
I read this to prep for a presentation on Albert Camus's short story, "The Guest." The illustrated work provided a fairly detailed biography of Camus's life, and summarized his major works.
Julie Salyards
This is, just as the title suggests, a nice introduction to Camus; although, I feel it would be difficult for a reader possessing little knowledge of Camus' work to fully appreciate: In other words, read his stuff first then read this.
I am a huge fan of Camus and have read most of his work. This is an efficient, thorough yet concise read that gives clear insight into how Camus' life impacted his work. It also does a great job of breaking down the logic of existentialism - no small task - and sp
Dave Maddock
Grabbed this from the bargain section at Barnes & Noble. I was expecting a graphic novel experience akin to Logicomix but I was rather disappointed. It is better described as illustrated prose.

That said, it did deliver on the title. Mairowitz covers Camus' biography and major works, providing enough context for a reader unfamiliar with Camus to follow along.

This book (and I suspect other "Intro to" volumes) is perfect for intelligent high-schoolers.
Sam Bowyer
Damn concise, overuse of imagery to pad out this introduction.
Jonathon Jones
The author does a good job of telling the story of the life of Camus alongside descriptions of his writings, and it's really interesting to see the progression. I came away from this book even more interested in Camus than I had been at the start, and I'm especially curious about his plays/fictions, whereas before I was mostly just interested in his more straightforwardly philosophical works. I also liked learning about some of the history of Algeria, of which I was entirely ignorant before read ...more
Steve
If you know me you know that Albert Camus is my favorite writer. His work, not all of which I agree with, has played a key role in making me who I am. If you are new to Camus or fancy yourself an expert you will enjoy "...A Graphic Guide" The author provides a good overview of all the major works, fiction and non-fiction alike. There is ample historical and biographical information combined with thoughtful commentary. The drawings by Alain Korkos make the book even better.
Dale
This is the second or third book in the 'Introducing' series that I've read, and I've been impressed each time. This book, on Camus, is a mixture of biography and literary criticism, all illustrated nicely with comicbook panels. I didn't think this approach would be effective, but it is. The illustrations slow down the pace, so that the reader has time to reflect more thoroughly on the text.
Jana
Read this concurrently with The Stranger and The Plague. I now know a lot more about Camus than I did a month ago. He lived in perilous times (Nazi occupation, he is cut off from his home in Algeria), but did not sway from his convictions (individuals are more important than groups, revolt NOT revolution).

The thought that stays with me is: Optimism without Hope. I like it.
David Joseph
Thoughtful, respectful and sensitive bio! One of the best in the series.

This bio and Camus' work are like a really smart "meal and wine" pairing.

Very humane treatment by Mairowitz.

Excellent.
Camilla
Not a in-depth, scholarly analysis, but exactly what I was looking for; a taste of Camus. Made me want to read more.
David
an excellent graphic comic illustrated by Alain Korkos...
insightful, subtle...
Sharon Johnson
the illustrations were great made the read alot easier.
H
Dec 12, 2010 H added it
excellent.
Avz Kmp
Avz Kmp marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Tourya
Tourya marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Joyce
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Marquis De Sade
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Introducing Linguistics
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Mind & Brain (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Logic
  • Marx for Beginners
Mairowitz is a writer who studied English Literature and Philosophy at Hunter College, New York, and Drama at the University of California, Berkeley.

He is the author of the plays "The Law Circus" (1969 and "Flash Gordon and the Angels" (1971). Other works include "BAMN: Outlaw Manifestos and Ephemera 1965-70," "The Radical Soap Opera: Roots of Failure in the American Left," "Kafka for Beginners" a
More about David Zane Mairowitz...

Introducing Series (1 - 10 of 126 books)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Aristotle
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Capitalism: A Graphic Guide
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
Kafka المحاكمة Crime and Punishment: A Graphic Novel (Illustrated Classics) The Castle Heart of Darkness