Start by marking “Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1 (Azumanga Daioh, #1)” as Want to Read:
Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1 (Azumanga Daioh, #1)

Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1 (Azumanga Daioh #1)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,808 Ratings  ·  133 Reviews
From Publishers Weekly:
It's tough to tell the difference between teacher and students in Azuma's comedy. Teacher Yukari Tanizaki is oblivious, immature, emotional and one of the people shaping young minds. Her students face difficulties in school that most never imagined. For example, as one pupil starts to ask a question, Miss Yukari cuts him off, stating she won't talk a
Published September 30th 2003 by ADV Manga (first published June 11th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
75th out of 867 books — 3,240 voters
Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 by Kiyohiko AzumaAzumanga Daioh Vol. 1 by Kiyohiko AzumaNana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaBunny Drop, Vol. 1 by Yumi UnitaA Bride's Story, Vol. 1 by Kaoru Mori
Best Slice of Life Manga
2nd out of 69 books — 82 voters

More lists with this book...

Jokoloyo
Aug 09, 2013 Jokoloyo rated it really liked it
This is a review for whole series.

This manga series has comic strips format and cute arts, promising a hilarious light stories. This series deliver that promise. Just by delivering the promise, the series is a solid 3 star.

Unexpectedly, this series has a timeline in the stories. The characters are getting older, and (some of) the characters are developing. The series is ended when the student characters finished the high school. So I was surprised with the seriousness of the bigger plots.

I don't
David Schaafsma
Feb 15, 2016 David Schaafsma rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Azumanga Daioh is a Japanese yonkoma comedy manga series written and illustrated by Kiyohiko Azuma. The title comes from his last name and the magazine it was published in from 1999-2002. It's for elementary school girls. I mainly read manga for boys or realistic manga for adults, so thought I would check the out. Yonkoma means four panel style, which Azuma supposedly masters. The focus is on a group of girls we like and some secondary characters we don't like and a couple teachers, in an elemen ...more
V_murray
Oct 16, 2012 V_murray rated it it was amazing
Studying English Education at my university, I have a class called "Adolescent Lit," where we look at running themes and standards of literature geared towards 12-18 year olds. In order to give my professor a better scope of what good manga is, I gave her my omnibus of this entire series. That is how much faith I have in this series--that is is my absolute favorite, and that if I am going to attempt to get someone to appreciate manga, this will be it.

As the series progresses, you will find yours
Ðɑηηɑ
Sep 23, 2014 Ðɑηηɑ rated it it was ok
Cute! I watched the first episode of the anime, so I've decided to read the manga.
Not a well-built story (due to the format, basically).
I wish it weren't so random, but I liked it.
Madeline
Jul 09, 2009 Madeline rated it really liked it
Shelves: no-judgements
Very cute, and considering that the main characters are a bunch of giggly Japanese schoolgirls, the plots are quite innocent. I'd recommend this series to someone just starting to read manga, since it's mostly normal and never features naked people or fighting robots.
Luis
Feb 09, 2014 Luis rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Compuesto casi exclusivamente de historias de 4 viñetas, Azumanga Daioh es un manga atípico pero con una humor difícil de superar.

A lo largo de la estructura conocemos a las chicas protagonistas de las historias, cada una con sus manías que serán recurrentes en el día a día. Aunque muchas veces nos riamos de los mismos chistes una y otra vez, Azumanga sabe cómo darnos la sorpresa a cada página con ocurrencias disparatadas que como poco nos sacarán una sonrisa. Y no es raro que uno se enamore de
Emma
Jul 15, 2015 Emma rated it it was amazing
I laugh so hard every time I read another one of these books. Made up of four-panel comics that all tell a story together, with some normal manga sometimes, it's about a group of girls, Sakaki, Kagura, Chiyo, Tomo, Yumi and Osaka. Chiyo, or Chiyo-chan as everyone calls her, is ten years old and starting high school. Surprisingly, instead of being teased and harassed mercilessly by everyone for her size and age, she quickly makes friends with five other girls who are humbled by the fact that Chiy ...more
jenni
Aug 05, 2013 jenni rated it really liked it
I read this because the author, Kiyohiko Azuma, wrote my favorite manga Yotsuba&!, Vol. 01 At first, I was a little disappointed because I didn't think this manga was as funny or as good as Yotsuba&! But I'm glad I kept reading because I found out: the more you get to know the characters, the funnier and better the story becomes. By the fourth and final volume, I was sorry to say good-bye to these girls and their teachers. The story is really just a series of interactions told in (mostly ...more
mai
Aug 22, 2016 mai rated it liked it
surem ceritanya absurd abis wq. tapi lucu, saya suka tokoh yang paling tinggi dan sangar (gatau namanya) gemas aja takut kucing juga sama kayak saya dan selalu digigit mlulu XD

baca 1 aja kayaknya, nggak minat lanjut
Deena
Aug 07, 2011 Deena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, manga
I read these years ago and absolutely loved them. Although I was familiar with Japanese culture, I do not think you have to be in order to find these funny. The editions I read all contained extra footnotes that I find quite helpful, and moreso, informative. They also explained how what concepts were translated from Japanese to English.

Regardless, Azumanga Daioh is hilarious. It's really about nothing- there's minimal significant plot, but in that way it's more true to real life. The girls do e
Jess Neuner
Jun 21, 2016 Jess Neuner rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, manga
Azumanga Daioh is a cute, funny, slice-of-life yonkoma-style manga about a group of high-school aged friends (and a few of their teachers). We've got Chiyo, a genius ten-year-old who skipped straight into high school, Sakaki, who looks like a tomboy, but really just loves all things cute, Kagura, who really is a tomboy, Tomo, who's rather annoying and loud, Yumi, the quieter, academic type, and Osaka, whose real name we all forget and who is a bit of a space cadet.

This manga reads as a series o
Amanda Pearl
This is pretty cute, but kind of weird. This is more like a series of semi related comic strips rather than one manga story. I really liked Sakaki and her love of cute cats. She is definitely my favorite character. Everything is pretty squee worthy except for a super creepy male teacher that pretty much killed my vibe. I do want to read the next volume, mostly for the cats =^.^=

Myonlycookie
Feb 25, 2013 Myonlycookie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
One of my all-time favorite manga series. With only 4 volumes it's easy to get through, and I think newer editions have cultural notes in the back to explain Japanese culture references.

Note: It's told in comic strip style, so there's no strong "plot" per se, other than this group of friends going through high school. However, over the course of the volumes you really get to know the girls' personalities, and it feels like there's a story involved. Lovely. Highly recommended.
Megan Anderson
Aug 30, 2015 Megan Anderson rated it really liked it
Cute artwork and very silly four-panel strips. The strips only sometimes have a connecting plot or theme, but they all have the same set of characters. However, sometimes the strips don't make much sense without a background knowledge of Japanese culture and education system, so the casual reader probably wouldn't enjoy this comic as much as someone familiar with Japan.

3/5 on here, 7/10 for myself
Ernesto gutierrez
Jun 07, 2010 Ernesto gutierrez rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite anime series. If you want a fun, brainless,random book this is for you. This is one of the few mangas that can make me laugh.The characters are really special and hilarious. Each character is unique and you will have a character that you love. This is my most highly recomende manga. Anyone that picks up this book will not be able to put it down.
The Crimson Fucker
Jan 23, 2011 The Crimson Fucker rated it it was amazing
love it! love it! love it!!! it's more of a western style comic strip than the rest! so perverted!!! my favorite part is when the students ask their teacher why he became a teacher... and he starts crying and yells "because of the teenager girls! i love em!!!" fucking brilliant!!!
Drew Perron
Aug 15, 2014 Drew Perron rated it really liked it
Azumanga Daioh is a fantastic work of gag humor, based entirely in interiority, characterization, and the sharp observation of how real humans act. This first volume is a bit rough, and has some unfortunate choices; notably, the character of Kimura-sensei later gets some nuance, but here, is basically just an uncomfortable joke about teachers perving on high school students. But overall, it's a good start to an excellent series.

...but there's one major problem - the English translation. It's sim
Natalia
May 20, 2013 Natalia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mangá, humor

Nunca ri tanto na minha vida, AMO a estória, sem dúvida o mangá mais bizarro que eu já li/vi <3
Lady Salford
May 14, 2008 Lady Salford rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga-i-own
I didn't like the changes they made to the original dialogue just to conform to western culture. For example, substituting Nakata for Pelé. It irked me and it toned down the humour of Azumanga.
Lizzie
Oct 26, 2015 Lizzie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 漫画
This is my favorite manga simply because I've read it at least three times and the jokes still crack me up. It's a different kind of humor... understated, and as much endearing as it is funny.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 19, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
This is a really funny series at a school with a group of characters that are all cute and funny. Yukari Tanizaki is a teacher who gets the room wrong on the first day of school and who can't do as good on a quiz she made up herself as her students do. She tends to behave worse then her students at times.

Sakari is a student who one of the other girls thinks looks scary but later finds out that she is wearing panties with a kitty on them. Sakari likes cats but they don't like her. She tries to p
Amanda
Sep 19, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Got the book from the library and some of the pages were torn out. I couldn't help but wonder who did it. A parent? A librarian? A teen who wanted the art? I did get the feeling that perhaps some of the story may go into some territory parents may deem inappropriate. But in that case, the library would just store the Manga with the adults graphic novels, right? Anyway, that's a mystery I have yet to uncover.

I thought many parts of the book were cute. Like the daydreaming about flying pigtails,
Ichigo
Jan 19, 2011 Ichigo rated it liked it
i have no idea what any of this meant
Chili Public
Oct 30, 2009 Chili Public rated it really liked it
Quite a few teenagers suggested that I read Azu Manga Daioh, so I finally decided that I had better read it. This series was delightful! The students are silly and charming. The teachers are odd and frightening, especially Kirmura. On multiple occasions, my hair stood on end watching him oogling the teens, however, that’s what makes a good story something great. This may be even more important to graphic novels, because a shorter story demands a more intense plot, and what can be more intense th ...more
MissAnnThrope
18 June 2013

Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1 follows the amusing adventures of wacky high school friends and their even crazier teachers. The debut volume begins in April at the start of a new semester and finishes with winter break in December. Simply put, there is zero plot. The strength of this manga is in the wild assortment of kooky yet endearing characters. You may not know what the heck is going on, but you will laugh and you will definitely fall in love with this daft bunch.

The style of this manga
Carrie Wilson
May 19, 2010 Carrie Wilson rated it really liked it
Quirky and funny; the characters are zany and their antics everyday; has the feel of a 1930s screwball comedy. This manga focuses on the lives of several high school girls (Tomo, "Osaka," Sakaki, Chiyo-chan, Yumi and Kaorin) and two teachers (Miss Kurosawa and Miss Yukari, who have a somewhat inexplicable friendship). Most of the stories revolve around the interactions of the girls and the teachers. Miss Yukari is impulsive and outspoken while Miss Kurosawa is the straight man, so to speak. If y ...more
Cathy
Nov 15, 2007 Cathy rated it really liked it
Natalie
As far as a story goes, this one is pretty terrible. There is no plot. It's nonexistent. It's just a series of moments with these characters and them reacting to each other.

But what does make this series memorable are the characters.

Chiyo is cute and interesting. She entered high school at age 10, is smart, cooks her own meals, innocent, and hard-working. She's kind but she also can get irritated as well. Being the youngest of the group, she's the center of most of the comedy because of her yout
Diego
Aug 12, 2016 Diego rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La obra más conocida de Kiyohiko Azuma se estructura en pequeñas historietas durante todo el volumen, centrándose en la vida de un grupo de estudiantes y profesoras de secundaria. Quizá me haya hecho demasiadas ilusiones, pero esperaba más del autor de ¡Yotsuba!

Las historias son en ocasiones brillantes, en ocasiones monótonas y aburridas. Leeré los siguientes volúmenes de todos modos. Los personajes de Sakaki y la profesora Yukari son muy, muy buenos.
Wyatt
Jul 04, 2016 Wyatt rated it really liked it
Cute and funny stories about a group of girls in high school. I'm reading these with my almost 11-year-old daughter. Azuma's use of the four-panel strip format gives the story a fast pace yet still allows it to develop beyond a series of gags. Unlike Yotsuba& this series is for older readers and while most of it is very sweet there is a running subplot about a creepy male teacher that's played for laughs.
Spoiled Rotten Manga: Azumanga Daioh! 3 4 Nov 03, 2013 09:02AM
Shoujo Manga Book...: Azumanga Daioh Discussion 14 17 Jun 28, 2013 04:43PM
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, Vol. 2
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1
  • Ranma ½, Vol. 6 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #6)
  • Megatokyo, Volume 1
  • Honey and Clover, Vol. 1
  • Emma, Vol. 02
  • Aqua, Volume 1 (Aqua, #1)
  • Love Hina, Vol. 12
  • Lucky Star 1 (Lucky Star, #1)
Kiyohiko Azuma (東清彦 or あずま きよひこ Azuma Kiyohiko) is a Japanese manga author and artist. His most well-known work is Azumanga Daioh. His current series is Yotsuba&!, which is serialized monthly in Dengeki Daioh magazine.
More about Kiyohiko Azuma...

Azumanga Daioh (5 books)
  • Azumanga Daioh Vol. 2 (Azumanga Daioh, #2)
  • Azumanga Daioh Vol. 3 (Azumanga Daioh, #3)
  • Azumanga Daioh Vol. 4 (Azumanga Daioh, #4)
  • Azumanga Daioh: The Omnibus