Start by marking “Obitchuary” as Want to Read:
Obitchuary

Obitchuary

Penny Perkins, journalist, upstanding citizen, dutiful bridesmaid, just killed her date. Smashed him on the head with a bottle of Misty Mangoberry Merlot.

She is tipsy and panicked. She is wearing a heinous pink bridesmaid dress that makes her irrational. Penny knows she should call the cops and explain her date's grabby hands, his crazy eyes. She should cry self-defense. S
Published September 26th 2013 by Stephanie Hayes

To ask other readers questions about Obitchuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Obitchuary

Alien Species Intervention by J.K. AccinniBaby by J.K. AccinniTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale HurstonA Land Remembered by Patrick D. SmithThe Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
Best Books Set in or About Florida
208th out of 341 books — 153 voters
I've Got Your Number by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie KinsellaRemember Me? by Sophie KinsellaTwenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
No Young Adult Best Chick Lit Reads
371st out of 428 books — 387 voters

More lists with this book...

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
I couldn't help myself when I saw the title. Silly name is one of the reasons I bought this book. I know I don't really like chick-lit. Too many real life problems even with the humour can ruin the story for me. Most often there is some kind of cheating ex or a current boyfriend/fiance and the heroine is 'finding herself' with the help of her family and/friends. I prefer more romance to that.
Well, Obitchuary has an interesting heroine and the focus is not on romance, but it is great. I actually
LLona Cunningham
Oct 23, 2013 LLona Cunningham rated it it was amazing
All during the first half of the book I thought this isn't a mystery and the 'F' bombs disqualify any Cozy status, but it's making me laugh out loud so I'll keep reading to see what she's going to do next. Then BLAM, the murder takes place when I didn't see it coming any more than the protagonist did. The whole second half of the book filled the mystery genre requirement, but still maintained the offbeat characters, worked in a little romance (cozy style, we didn't have to stay in bed with them ...more
Pamela
Mar 17, 2015 Pamela rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books
Offbeat characters, witty dialogue and a deft hand with humor, made this book a fun little read. I will definitely keep an eye out for more books by this author.
Samantha Janning
Nov 24, 2013 Samantha Janning rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I have been looking forward to this book like crazy, and what it a delight it was to get it read! Obituary is a fab chick lit read – but with a mystery twist, which I love! I have to say, the prologue was awesome. It had me questioning Penny right off the bat and wondering why and how she killed her date. Would I like Penny? I wouldn’t like a murderer…would I? But of course, being chick lit I’m going to love the MC, and everything i
Hollie
May 29, 2014 Hollie rated it really liked it
Quirky and cute combo

I really liked this book. It had so many wonderful qualities. Office romance. Strong character depth with both the main and secondary characters. Throw in a fast paced plot with just the right balance of humour and you get Obitchuary. I highly recommended this read if you are looking for a little something off the beaten path.
Helen
Aug 20, 2014 Helen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like romantic comedies
This is a fun romantic comedy that had me laughing out loud. Stephanie draws on her experience writing feature obituaries for the Tampa Bay Times to make Penny Perkins a believable character. When Penny smashes her date over the head with a bottle of Misty Mangoberry Merlot and loads his lifeless body into the trunk of his car, things get very complicated.
Megan
Oct 22, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, chicklit
A good, fast, fun read!
Lynne
I've issued 4 very solid stars to this book, though I found it satisfying on many levels so another quarter star could easily be added if it were an option.

I was sucked in by the very first page:
I stared down at his motionless body, prone on the pavement of the parking lot. I considered the plethora of rational possibilities.
Maybe he was sleeping. Or locked in ritual meditation. Finding his center. His third eye, or whatever. Maybe he was playing possum, waiting for me to turn my back just long
Julie H.
Sep 08, 2016 Julie H. rated it really liked it
First things first, I want to acknowledge having received an autographed copy of Obitchuary as a Firstreads giveaway. The book arrived accompanied by a nice handwritten note from its author, Stephanie Hayes, who--like her protagonist--is a Tampa-based reporter. (This was such a classy alternative to the impersonal preprinted slips inserted into review copies by the big publishing houses. Thanks so much if you're reading this, Stephanie!)

Obitchuary is pure unadulterated chick-lit. Not really a my
Sarah Vanblaricum
Mar 29, 2014 Sarah Vanblaricum rated it liked it
Super cute! I was looking for something light to read after finishing Cujo. Don't get me wrong, Cujo is a great book, but reading about a rabid dog who terrorizes people is kind of exhausting emotionally, and I just wanted to laugh and not lock myself in my room every time my own dog growled or looked at me for a prolonged period of time. Prior to Cujo, I read The Hunger Games series and an Emily Giffin novel about marital infidelity. I'm a reading self masochist.

ANYWAY, this book is great if yo
Underground Book Reviews
Apr 28, 2014 Underground Book Reviews rated it it was amazing
Penny Perkins is a rather unexceptional girl. The most traumatizing experience she ever dealt with was getting locked in a port-a-potty for twenty minutes when she was a teenager. She has an odd-but-functional family, a job as a second-rate reporter that pays the bills (barely), and generally tries to follow the rules. So when she accidentally murders a man with a bottle of juice wine on their second date, she does what any victim of shock would do; she goes to work the next day and writes his ...more
Wanda
Apr 04, 2014 Wanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The almost slapstick style reminded me of why I used to enjoy Janet Evanovich books

I read Stephanie's columns in the St Petersburg Times, and thought I would enjoy her book. The title and abstract convinced me to give it a try. I enjoyed the storyline, but the hapless, inept heroine is an overused vehicle, and I avoid those books now when I know in advance. I liked that Penney seemed to gain confidence toward the end.

Good first book, and I look forward to her next book.
Jeanie
Nov 01, 2013 Jeanie rated it really liked it
This was a very fun book. We chose it after meeting the author at our local Festival of Reading. I love that her heroine is more down to earth than most you will meet. She certainly does not have a chance at winning a Good Housekeeping seal of approval, :-) All that aside, if you are looking for some zany fun, Penny Perkins is your girl. From a date gone very wrong to love with the guy in the next cubicle, you will be grabbed at page one & enjoy the raucous ride until the last page. Enjoy! ...more
Shelly
Apr 03, 2014 Shelly rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I hope there are more from this author with this strong, awesome female character. The mystery actually kept me guessing (which is surprising because I've been reading mysteries for years and can often predict the plot). The characters were well-developed and likable. They were complicated enough to move the plot and give the book depth. The writing was also funny and well done. Pick this up for an enjoyable read!
Wendy
Feb 01, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Although I was not sure at first that I would enjoy a book about an obituary writer, I should have realized of course that it was a murder mystery. I enjoyed the slightly naive (but working on it) heroine and I always like less than perfect characters who rise to the occasion. I did not see most of the twists coming and enjoyed the surprise. Thanks to my friend Jacki King for turning me on to a great book! I know yours will be fabulous!
Ann
Sep 01, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it
Funny title, funny book. Somehow I went into reading this thinking it was just going to be a chick lit rom com. It was that plus a silly mystery too. The whole storyline is ridiculous, but it makes no pretensions of being anything else. I just thought it was a really funny book. The dialog cracked me up! If you're in the mood for a quick funny read, this is a good one.
Alexander Boltenko
May 22, 2014 Alexander Boltenko rated it it was amazing
I liked Stephanie's arts reviews in TBT and was looking forward to reading the book. Read it in one breath. Agree with many that enjoyed reading it. Great style that shows great writing talent - just try to write so simply about your every day life. Nice flow, interesting characters. I'll be waiting for another one.
Anne Stoddard
Dec 17, 2013 Anne Stoddard rated it it was amazing
Hayes' Penny Perkins is the perfect mix of wit, quirk, and self-deprecation to make her a realistic and believable heroine. The love story was more realistic than the ones you'd find in a typical romance too. Stephanie Hayes has crafted a laugh-out-loud funny and wildly entertaining read in Obitchuary, and I can't wait to read her next novel! Bravo!
Jacki King
Dec 06, 2014 Jacki King rated it it was amazing
Exactly the kind of fun little read I was looking for. Great humor. Nice pacing. Good use of the "best friend" trope with a yummilicous hunk for distraction. Loved the family "dinner" game, nice touch! Looking forward to more.
Maureen Grenier
Apr 13, 2014 Maureen Grenier rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It had an interesting setting and lots of great characters, well drawn. I knew there would be some twists but several were very unexpected, which I always find entertaining. Good luck, Stephanie—we are all waiting for your next book!
Carol Turznik
Jul 14, 2014 Carol Turznik rated it it was ok
While the title is "catchy" (the whole reason I bought the book in the first place), the writing is overly forced with ridiculous and unnecessary humor most of the time. I truly think if the author had toned it down a bit, this might have been a marvelous debut hit.
Lynette Barfield
Dec 30, 2013 Lynette Barfield rated it it was amazing
I found this on Kindle written by a previous writer for the St. Petersburg Times. I tried it because she is local and I was very pleasantly surprised. This is well written and very humorus. I actually found myself laughing out loud. I highly recommend this.
Mark balson
Aug 09, 2014 Mark balson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor-comedy
I should not have liked this novel. I don't like murder mysteries as a rule. I can usually see the whole thing laid out at the half way mark and I lose interest. This quirky little morsel kept me interested all the way through and there was a kind of love story. Good job.
Sandra Lazzell
Jun 13, 2014 Sandra Lazzell rated it really liked it
Pure cuteness. Multiple giggles. The references to being a tween in the early 90's gave me the warm fuzzies :) A story about a normal, nice girl, who ends up in a ridiculous situation. I really enjoyed the supporting characters, too- especially Mark and Nicole!
Erin James
Mar 16, 2014 Erin James rated it really liked it
I liked Stephanie Hayes first Penny Perkins book. I hope there will be more. It's funny, well-paced, and has just enough sex and general mayhem to keep things interesting.
Sandy
Oct 28, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it
The beginning sucked me in as fun light chick lit, but it didn't really hold me all the way through. I feel like she took too long to get back to the murder at the beginning.
C
Aug 30, 2016 C rated it liked it
The transition at the beginning from "that just happened" to backstory was a little rough, but all in all a cute story. Found myself laughing out loud a few times and saying aww at Mark.
Linda T
Nov 18, 2013 Linda T rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-done
A fun book. The heroine is a bit extreme - a drunk, a slob, making crazy decisions. I hope she calms down in any future novels. The setting is good and the character Mark is likable.
Brittany Wilson
May 22, 2014 Brittany Wilson rated it really liked it
This book reminds me a lot of the Stephanie Plum series. Had some humor in it. A good book if you like mystery and single woman looking for that "perfect" guy but finds a goofy toy collector!
Holly
Dec 22, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
*4.5

Very entertaining! It was fun, quirky, had likable characters, and it made me smile. I'll definitely be on the look out for Stephanie Hayes's next book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • In A Pickle
  • Nearly Departed (A Spring Cleaning Mystery #1)
  • The Fisherman's Wife: The Gospel According to St. Peter's Spouse
  • Pennies from Hell
  • The Bittersweet Vine
  • Characters in Search of a Novel
  • More Texas Stories I Like to Tell My Friends: The Tales of Adventure and Intrigue Continue from the History of the Lone Star State
  • Serranto's Redemption (Breaking Out)
  • Beware the Ghost Riders
  • Song of the Sirens
  • Swedenborg's Daughter: Memoirs of a Mystic
  • Papal Bull: An Ex-Catholic Calls Out the Catholic Church
  • Kissed by Madness
  • Spirit Nudges: Proof That Spirit Is Never Far Away
  • Country Music Broke My Brain: A Behind-the-Microphone Peek at Nashville's Famous and Fabulous Stars
  • Chillin in Negril: The Unofficial Negril Jamaica Travel and Party Guide
  • The Indigo Bunting
  • Aloha Rose (Quilts of Love #12)
Stephanie Hayes spent plenty of time working at the mall before landing a job at the Tampa Bay Times newspaper. In her a decade as a reporter, she's covered everything from suburban politics to education to snack foods to fashion to Britney Spears underwear mishaps. She also spent a year and a half on the death beat writing obituaries. Originally from the Cleveland area, she graduated from the ...more
More about Stephanie Hayes...