Start by marking “To Vegas and Back” as Want to Read:
To Vegas and Back

To Vegas and Back

Suzanne R. Krauss seems like your average suburban mom - happy, involved in the community, and incredibly personable. No one would have ever guessed her past . . . a childhood filled with alcoholism, anti-Semitism, physical and sexual abuse, set in the backdrop of Las Vegas's underworld and glamorous casinos.

Olivia is a mother who leaves her life as a Philadelphia housewif
Hardcover, avail 1/17/14; eBook avail now., 260 pages
Published January 22nd 2014 by Changing Lives Press/Never Sink Books (first published November 8th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about To Vegas and Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Vegas and Back

Cindy
Nov 14, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
A brilliantly, beautifully written memoir about courage, compassion, determination and resilience. A incredible story that I could not put down. A MUST MUST MUST read!
Nancy Wilson
Dec 28, 2013 Nancy Wilson rated it it was amazing
I savored reading this book. I didn't want it to end yet didn't want to put it down. The perspective that the writer has at the end of her story is so brave, courageous, and a great life lesson to all, whether one has been through something similar to this or not. She is so strong for bringing her story to life and for acknowledging all that her family had been through. Bravo to Suzanne. A difficult story with a happy ending.
Gabi Coatsworth
Feb 22, 2014 Gabi Coatsworth rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
The book chronicles the author's sudden realization that her childhood as the daughter of a Las Vegas showgirl who depended on abusive men to keep her going, was not a normal one. Through therapy, Ms Krauss has managed to deal with the deeply hidden trauma that resulted from both witnessing and suffering from abuse. The book is a page-turner, for sure, and not for the faint-hearted. Her mother’s lack of sexual boundaries and bad choices are described in all-too-vivid detail. More than once, I ...more
CJ
May 08, 2014 CJ rated it really liked it
So much upset, and yet I read the whole book in a few hours. A compelling page turner - well-written with a brilliant structure framed by therapy sessions. I applaud her for prevailing over desperate circumstances and emerging stronger. My only critique is that the ending felt too abrupt. I longed to know more about the "and back" years in order to better understand the author's successful efforts to overcome serious abuse and neglect. Maybe she will write a part two and go on a book tour with ...more
Kelli
Jun 30, 2014 Kelli rated it really liked it
Wow. Suzanne Krauss' well-written memoir describes in disturbing detail what happens to children when their parents put their own needs/desires ahead of what is best for the family. The awful circumstances that Krauss and her sister endures during their time in Las Vegas were awful to put it mildly. This book kept me on the edge of my seat in a state of deep sadness and disbelief. Krauss tells her story in stark, straightforward detail without any hint of being the victim that she was.
Jennifer Berger
Jun 18, 2014 Jennifer Berger rated it it was amazing
"To Vegas and Back" not only keeps the reader completely immersed in the storyline, but she also generates a whirlwind of sympathetic emotions from the reader as she generously divulges the complex, disturbing childhood she endured. An easy read, this book draws you in and doesn't let you go. Ms. Krauss should be commended for having the courage, strength and bravery to share such a frightening and confusing time in her life. I cried for Suzanne, and her mother, and siblings... I really did.
Rachel
Apr 30, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
There is a lot of painful material here. It is not an easy read. I'm glad you wrote it all down. Memoirs in this era are often personal purges; small windows into societal drama.
The fact that you have made a success of your own life is the proof in the pudding that not all victims take on the role for a lifetime. Congratulations. Keep moving forward.
Hillary
Jul 27, 2014 Hillary rated it liked it
This is a very disturbing story. The collective memoir of the author & her mom & siblings, it lays out the details of a seriously screwed up life they led while the author's mother was married to an abuser. This is not a literary masterpiece - but it is straightforward and honest. It must have taken a lot of emotional energy to put this story down on paper.
Andrea
Aug 05, 2016 Andrea rated it did not like it
This is one of the most poorly written books I've ever read, and for that I do not blame the author so much as the editor. The author deserves applause for her willingness to shed light on a very painful childhood, and for the inventive use of therapy sessions to advance the story. The memoir would have been much more engaging and effective with a more polished writing style.
Abby
Apr 04, 2014 Abby rated it really liked it
WOW! what a read! If you want as easy to read memoir, this is it! Its mind boggling (almost predictably so). I just sat down to continue reading and was disappointed when I remembered that I had already completed it! You can finish it in a day or two. Good beach read!
Lauren Aaron
Feb 25, 2014 Lauren Aaron rated it liked it
Fascinating memoir but difficult to enjoy with all the abuse, ignorance and dependency this family was exposed to.
Danna
Jun 01, 2014 Danna rated it it was amazing
Riveting! This is such a sad and brave story... Truth is always stranger than fiction. Suzanne Krauss has told the story of her life with humor and explicit honesty. Could not put this down!
holly
Jan 17, 2014 holly rated it it was ok
While this story is certainly interesting the writing is awful and the dialogue in particular made me cringe. The mother "character" is so flat that I kept imaging her as a Barbie doll.
Michele Baxter
Jul 10, 2014 Michele Baxter rated it really liked it
This was a great book. Hats off to Suzanne for having the courage to tell her story so vividly and beautifully.
Kathy Belzer
Kathy Belzer rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Andrea Bershad
Andrea Bershad rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2014
Linda Plessett
Linda Plessett rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Holly
Holly rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2014
Yael
Yael rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2016
Jennifer Solodar
Jennifer Solodar rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Ilene
Ilene rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Caitlin Bruno
Caitlin Bruno rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2014
Athena
Athena rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2014
Sheri
Sheri rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Carollee
Carollee rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Jessica Clause
Jessica Clause rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Amanda Cheairs
Amanda Cheairs rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2014
Haidee
Haidee rated it liked it
May 28, 2014