Start by marking “The Arch of Avooblis (Adventurers' Academy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Arch of Avooblis (Adventurers' Academy #1)

The Arch of Avooblis (Adventurers' Academy #1)

Can a rogue be a hero?

Dagdron was raised as a rogue, his dagger his only companion and pickpocketing his favorite pastime. But when his father forces him to attend the Adventurers’ Academy, where warriors, enchanters, and rogues learn how to fulfill quests to become heroes, Dagdron must face a whole new life. When Dagdron is accused of stealing the Arch of Avooblis, he an
Published September 28th 2013 by Central Orb Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Arch of Avooblis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Arch of Avooblis

Chiara
Oct 18, 2015 Chiara rated it really liked it
Davvero, Charles? Hai intenzione di lasciarmi così, appesa quando ho un disperato bisogno di sapere?

Nonostante io abbia superato l'età indicata per questo libro, devo ammettere che mi ha colpita. Non solo l'autore ha uno stile scorrevole, facile da capire (dopotutto è un middle grade) e non troppo ricco, ma anche la storia mi è piaciuta. A dispetto di ciò che si dice in giro sul web, non l'ho trovata per niente simile a quella di Harry Potter. E' ormai risaputo che J.K. Rowling ha creato un impe
Louise Cromie
Oct 08, 2015 Louise Cromie rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I started reading this last night and it's like Harry Potter meets any number of the usual rogues/knights in training/enchantress novels only with some really daft names and a character who not only annoys our main character he annoys me so much I want to skip over pages with him in it only he's in every page.

Might try reading it again later but not any time soon!!!
Mandy Walkden-Brown
I mostly enjoyed this first book of the series. It's definitely a character driven story and those characters are three dimensional and endearing, particularly the grumpy rogue Dagdron and his clumsy warrior roommate Earl. These two, together with a 'lady warrior' Lita and an enchantress Elloriana, undertake a quest given them by their headmaster.
The pace is fairly slow which is good as it allows the reader to get to know the main characters fairly well. But there is enough action, training and
Debbie
Jan 22, 2016 Debbie added it
I liked this story. Though straight lined in the storytelling the story was interesting. Some characters developed a bit faster than others but they kept their basic personalities all the way through. In the last quarter of the book there were some twists that made the story more interesting. Without being a spoiler there were two twists that surprised me. One twist made the story more interesting and leads the reader into the next book in the series. The other twist made promises that were not ...more
Joe
Apr 07, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
This was a good read straight out of the Harry Potter mold. Basically, kids going to school to learn to be adventurers and end up going on a "quest" given buy the headmaster. While the overall theme was not new I did enjoy the book and will read the others in the series.

The book was, for the most part, well-written, especially when compared to many other indie author books but could definitely use another editing pass.

On page 3 I came across the sentence "His father finished the remaining the sa
Gayle
Dec 18, 2013 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dagdron, a rogue, is taken to school by his father to learn the ways of being an adventurer. Earl, a fledgling warrior, becomes his roommate. When a magically sealed package, given to the headmaster as payment for Dagdron's admission into school is stolen from the headmaster's office, Dagdron is blamed. It is up to him and Earl, along with a female fighter and an enchantress, to find the missing item or Earl will be expelled from school. Will they succeed?

This book very much reminded me of "Harr
Lisa
Jan 22, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do warriors, enchanters, and rogues all have in common? They all want to be adventurers, of course! In order to become an adventurer, they must travel to the Adventurers’ Academy where they will learn how to properly become an adventurer. Earl, a warrior, has dreamed of becoming an adventurer his whole life and is overly eager to get started. Dagdron, on the other hand, has not desire whatsoever to become an adventurer. Forced to attend the academy by his father, his only ambition is to ...more
Delta
Dec 28, 2015 Delta rated it it was ok
Shelves: z2015, free-ebooks
I think anyone that reads this will agree that it is very reminiscent of Harry Potter. That's fine; it's a fairly common theme these days. What I don't get is how the author can write a book like this without even the smallest amount of humor. If Streams wrote with a bit of tongue-in-cheek or dry English humour, then I might be able to forgive the fact that teenagers are sent to a boarding school where they are divided by class and "class" lines, and are taught how to cut purses and pick locks. ...more
Patricia A.Bunn
Dec 12, 2015 Patricia A.Bunn rated it it was amazing
Great Book

The only thing that you need to know about the book was it was good and I think you need to read the book and see what you think about the book and yes I love it ,It was hard to put the book down and do my work and yes that was the bad thing to do,poor husband but maybe that's not so bad because I got a dinner out of it ,Maybe I'll just try and see what he wants for Christmas
Renae Rogers
May 23, 2016 Renae Rogers rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-school
It's a little while since I read this but I remember expecting more from it. I thought there would be more adventuring. Or more description of class time and learning the required skills. Or something. Maybe I thought the world building would be on a bigger scale than it was? I really don't quite recall what disappointed me. It's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but it's just not all that wonderful either. More of a 2.75 than a solid 3 stars.
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, childrens
The Arch of Avooblis was a pretty great story! A little Harry Potter-esque in that it takes place at a boarding school, but this story has rogues, enchanters and knights as the Heroes-in-training. We follow Dagdron, who doesn't want to be there, as he gets into trouble and has to get himself out. He's kind of a hoodlum (by training) but as we get to know him we find he's not so bad after all. The other characters add to the likeability factor and make it a fun adventure!
Nikki
Jul 17, 2015 Nikki rated it it was amazing
I very rarely rate books with 5 stars; I usually find something in the book that keeps me at 4.

Having said that, I absolutely loved this book, start to finish. It was a quick read for me, and pretty quick-paced, but I would recommend to anyone interested in the fantasy genre.

My favorite part was the interaction between Dagdron and Earl throughout the entire book. The wit and sarcasm had me cracking up every time. I am now headed out to find the next book in this series.
Susan
Aug 24, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, sci-fi-fantasy
The first book in the Adventurers Academy is a fair start for a series. I know students who would identify with Dragdon and Earl. Unlikely students come together for a quest. But is all as it seems. Strange characters and intrigue abound. But the book does leave you with more questions to be approached in the next book. Good book for young adults.
Turtles
Nov 25, 2014 Turtles added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This started out ok, but slowed down a lot once Dagdron got to school. I'm not enjoying it because things are too black and white. All the cast are strictly either Fighter, Rogue, or Enchanter. It's as if it was trying to be D&D, but left out the rest of the classes. It felt clunky to read and Dagdron's adventures are lackluster. He gets a tree, he sneaks around... Zzz...
Jim
Mar 16, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
I've been big on Teen Mystery and Adventure books since I was a kid, culminating in the Potter books, which this series reminds me of, yet is nothing like...
Captivating from the first chapter. A little silly when read by a 50 year old, but I couldn't put it down.
Donna
Dec 07, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, fantasy, teen
A magical adventure in growing up, making friends and solving mysteries. I liked it. It reminded me of Harry Potter, Adventurers Wanted, and Rangers Apprentice all mixed together. But the heros name I kept tripping over "Dagdron"... Really?
John
Dec 05, 2015 John rated it really liked it
This was a decent book, though I was really torn between 3 and 4 stars for it. It moved relatively quickly, and I enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed in the ratio of setup to resolution on the plot points introduced. I'll probably read the next one, but not right away.
Dana
Apr 21, 2015 Dana rated it really liked it
Really well written and an easy read. Loved the fact that a Rogue becomes a reluctant adventurer and hero. Very much a young read though. Doesn't stop me from wanting to read the rest of the series...
Jo Oehrlein
Dec 09, 2015 Jo Oehrlein rated it it was ok
Shelves: boarding_school
Not much character development and many many things still unclear (what's the history with dad and the headmaster, for example).

We've got our student group (2 boys, 2 girls), but I don't think we really know (or even like) any of them.

Probably not moving on to book #2.
Malachi Crist
Apr 06, 2015 Malachi Crist rated it it was amazing
It has great!!!

I give it a 5 star!!!!!! For being one of the best books I've read in a long time. Loved it!!!!!
Christopher Jason Jones
Pretty good

I would have made so the adventure was somewhere else not were they already are but it was pretty good hope you want too read it
Zoe Schoppa
May 02, 2015 Zoe Schoppa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I am much older than the intended age for this story but I found it a fun escape from adulthood. All of us need a bit of adventuring right?
Ntez
Nov 04, 2015 Ntez rated it liked it
It didn't start off with a clear plot line and took a long time "setting up" the story, but once it gave a clear plot line to follow it became a very interesting story.
Dana Wood
Dana Wood rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Matthew & Tracey Larson
Matthew & Tracey Larson rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2015
Richard Webster
Richard Webster rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Jacinto Bowks
Jacinto Bowks rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Chloe Poters
Chloe Poters rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Bdguide
Bdguide rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2015
lawrence culotti
lawrence culotti rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Ethan Wright and the Curse of Silence
  • Andy McBean and the War of the Worlds (The Amazing Adventures of Andy McBean #1)
  • Giggleswick: The Amadán Map (Giggleswick, #1)
  • Anni Moon & The Elemental Artifact
  • Johnny Graphic and the Etheric Bomb
  • Jim Morgan and the Pirates of the Black Skull (Jim Morgan #2)
  • Avian (Dragonrider Chronicles, #2)
  • Fing
  • Jake & The Gingerbread Wars (The Gryphon Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Alora: The Wander-Jewel (Alora, #1)
  • The North Pole Challenge (Flea's Five Christmases, #1)
  • Island of Fog (Island of Fog, #1)
  • Emma and the Banderwigh (Tales of Widowswood, #1)
  • Blast of the Dragon's Fury (Andy Smithson, #1)
  • The Rescue Team
  • Song of the Mountain (Mountain Trilogy, #1)
  • The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1)
  • Angus Macbain and the Island of Sleeping Kings