Start by marking “The Devil Made Me Do It” as Want to Read:

The Devil Made Me Do It

The voluptuous Esther Wiley has always known that she is special. She's a tiara-wearing, wand-carrying kind of Cinderella princess in disguise. The problem that her very own Fairy Godmother, the Prophetess Mother Reed, struggles with is getting her to live like it.
Briggs Stokes is the reluctant heir to his father's worldwide, multimillion-dollar televangelist ministry, ye
Published June 24th 2014 by Urban Christian (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Made Me Do It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil Made Me Do It

Orsayor
Jan 16, 2016 Orsayor rated it it was amazing
We have heard the saying... When a reader opens a book, they are transported to a new world, and they never know what they may encounter. Maybe that's not exactly how the saying goes...

This author piqued my interest within the first few lines of the book. I started to reminisce on my childhood days growing up in Detroit. The book starts off with Esther as a kid experiencing her first disappointment in life. After standing in line for hours for an opportunity to try on Cinderella's slippers - whe
Shone
Jan 11, 2016 Shone rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good read.
Recommended to Shone by: Won in an on line contest
I have won several books over the years in on line contest, however this debut novel by Colette R Harrell is one of the best. There were a few things off when it came to years of automobiles but the story was so powerful that minor mistake would have been forgotten if I had not made a note of it. This was an awesome debut novel, loved Mother Reed, we all need a strong mother like her in our church and life.
Pam
Jul 31, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
While browsing through my twitter feed, I discovered that there's a genre called "Urban Christian Fiction." My curiosity was stimulated and I downloaded it immediately. I have never made it past five or six pages of so-called "urban books," or "street lit." I was pleasantly surprised with the writing in this one. The main characters were dynamic and the plot was suspenseful. Make no mistake that it is steeped in Christian beliefs. Most of the characters were deeply spiritual and spend a lot of ...more
Sheryl Boyce
Feb 03, 2015 Sheryl Boyce rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading the next one! The story shows how the devil is on his job in our life. He comes in many forms to try and steal and kill you. But prayer still works and it does cover a multitude of sin. Esther in the story was broken in self-esteem and had relationships that didn't work out but her faith in God helped her to stand when she thought she couldn't. I'm so glad that in the end she trusted God enough to wait on her boaz, but is the enemy gonna ...more
deb
Jun 28, 2015 deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Devil Made Me Do It

I wanted to like this story, but for some reason I felt duped; when you read the synopsis it leads you to believe that Esther and Briggs are going to be a couple who go through some serious turmoil and then you start reading and the car starts driving down a different street. Briggs has a wife(Monica) and Esther get engaged to Lawton and I was wondering what is going on with this story. Don't get me wrong it was good story, very good story, but I don't like when author get
Adrienna
It took a little while for me to get into this Christian fiction novel, and first time reading this author.

What I took from the read thus far, Monica seems like a "snake in the grass" with her hidden agendas while married to Briggs. Then Esther lost her two best friends from unforeseen circumstances while trying to be with the man she once loved, once he is gone, he appears at her church she is so involved with. Yet she had no idea he was married, and wondering if she will let go of her feeling
S. LaRue
Aug 07, 2016 S. LaRue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God has truly blessed me to be introduced to some phenomenal christian authors through their books. I believe the greatest gift God blesses us with in addition to his Son, Jesus is the gift of "Choice." After reading this book I have an even greater respect for the power of choices I make, because my choices have choices.....

Thank you Colette for this wonderful book and the ministering tool that it is and has been to me.

Look forward to reading "Tell the Truth, the Devil won't."
Michelle Lindo-Rice
Oct 15, 2014 Michelle Lindo-Rice rated it really liked it
In Colette's Harrell's debut novel, The Devil Made Me Do It, we meet Esther, Lawton, Briggs, Monica and a slew of other wonderful characters. I admit I was intrigued by Briggs and Monica and hope to see more of them, hint, hint. My favorite line in the book was, "Girl, I'm saved, not stupid." Infused with the right mix of spirituality, drama, realism and humor, I see a strong, new voice in Christian fiction. I look forward to hearing more from Colette Harrell.
Erica L
Jul 14, 2016 Erica L rated it really liked it
Rated 4 instead of 5 stars because I had read the 2nd book first and already knew the plot. These "series" books are confusing at times to me. Im old school and used to authors like Maya ,Donald, James, Alice and such giving a great and wonderful read IN ONE NOVEL! Nothing about these "series" books is so exciting that i will read parts 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, and so on.
Michael Bell
Jan 10, 2016 Michael Bell rated it liked it
This book was a little different. It reminded me of The Lighter Side if Darkness by Troy Johnson. Evil forces are trying to wreck the lives of regular citizens. Monica was a trip and Briggs was right to be sceptical of her newfound devotion. A scene in the book reminded me of a Tyler Perry movie. I needed to finish it and might read the second part.
Shannan Harper
Jan 01, 2015 Shannan Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first time from reading from this debut author, and it will not be my last. Wonderful story line and an awesome message about keeping our Faith in God. I will be looking for more from her in the future.
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Nancy Austin
Nancy Austin rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Hilda Nash
Hilda Nash rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Tina Brown-Batchelor
Aug 14, 2014 Tina Brown-Batchelor rated it really liked it
waiting for part 2 ...
Between The
Between The rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Tamika Polk
Tamika Polk rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Lashanda
Lashanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
Tamara Young
Tamara Young rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2015
Jessica Cethoute
Jessica Cethoute rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
Ella Curry
Ella Curry rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Spring Mcelroy
Spring Mcelroy rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Shelly Bell
Shelly Bell rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2016
Taminika Washington
Dec 15, 2015 Taminika Washington rated it it was amazing
Excellent story!
Toni Dowdell
Toni Dowdell rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Tanishia Pearson
Tanishia Pearson rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Ellowyn
Ellowyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014