Start by marking “Get Up!: The Dire Health Consequences of Sitting and What We Can Do About It” as Want to Read:
Get Up!: The Dire Health Consequences of Sitting and What We Can Do About It

Get Up!: The Dire Health Consequences of Sitting and What We Can Do About It

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  31 reviews
From the codirector of the Mayo Clinic / Arizona State University Obesity Solutions Initiative and inventor of the treadmill desk comes a fascinating wake-up call about our sedentary lifestyle.

That the average adult spends 50 to 70 percent of their day sitting is no surprise to anyone who works in an office environment. But few realize the health consequences they are suff
Published July 29th 2014 by Palgrave Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Get Up!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Up!

Janice
In this book the author discusses that while modern technology and industry have made our lives easier in so many ways, they have also wrecked havoc on us biologically. Our human bodies have survived and evolved over eons, running, walking, climbing, bending, all kinds of movement, but not with "sitting". The author wages war against the
chair, and documents numerous research that supports his claims, that for our health and well-being, we have to start including much more movement in our daily
Heather
an indictment of the office chair/lazy boy recliner. The most shocking part of this book, from our current perspective is how long it took for his research to be accepted in mainstream - as it starting to now. His first studies, at the Mayo clinic, were in the early 2000s...but nobody wanted to believe the data.

He is inventor of multiple activity-tracking devices (Grove--Nike fitness watch input) and the treadmill desk.

He shows us the impact of his work on the office and schools, where real life
Avinash Aaron
This book teaches us the problem we will face and if we keep on sitting in our life, he will also let us the benefit of standing and walking give us.
Quentin Stewart
Dr. Levine, MD has written an indictment of the chair. In an interesting and easy to read style Dr. Levine helps us understand that humans are not physically wired to sit as much as our modern society or culture allows. He gives a brief history of sitting which only started actually a few years ago and explains how it has led to many of the health problems we have today. He discusses the need for movement that our bodies demand to stay in shape and be healthier and happier.

Dr. Levine set up a la
Karoline
I have slightly mixed feelings about this book. Good for the most part, and it is always nice when a science book comes out that is written with a sense of humor. Last time I remember giggling like that through a book of similar genre was Robb Wolf's the Paleo Solution. The book is better though if you mentally switch every instance of "obesity" to "health", "musculoskeletal health," "cardiovascular health" or at least "diabesity." There is a ton of evidence outside this book that the more you m ...more
Gretchen
This book details the research the author Levine has done on the negative effects of sitting. That's right just sitting especially for hours and hours at a time does really bad things to your health. Humans for centuries have mostly stood for work in the fields, hunting, gathering, etc. Our bodies have not adapted to this new world in which we sit at the office all day, sit in a car going to/from work, and then sitting on the couch watching tv all evening. Levine has done a lot of interesting re ...more
Petra Willow
Read as a reviewed book in a science magazine.
A story told by the author which describes a fascinating insight into the way the body works. The pressing need for such research is born out of the increasing crisis of obesity plaguing the western world.
You follow the authors journey through a number of years as he gathers research data on lifestyle and how it can impact on obesity.
The author has coined the acronym NEAT which stands for Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis.
Fascinating book. If you
Leah
Rating: 3 of 5

Dr. Levine's passion for the "Get Up!" movement was undeniable. All the more inspirational given he faced such contempt when he introduced Homo sedentarius and his theories to the scientific community.

I requested this book for two reasons: 1) to find out why my chair was killing me - the scientific data on the negative effects of sitting - both biology and psychology, and 2) ways to combat sitting for so long every day since my profession demands being on the computer for hours. Th
Stephanie Schmidt
Before I give my review, I must disclose that I was a recipient of, "Get Up!" via Giveaways. Thank you to all that made it possible, it is always a pleasure to review an author's work. Apologies for the delay in the review.
Dr. Levine has dedicated himself to educating people about the dangers of sedentary life. His book is a quick read, filled with clever puns about the "chairman" being out to get us, and some odd quizzes placed about; however, his underlying message is a serious one:we sit too
Connie
This book really opened my eyes to how far we have fallen away from the active lifestyle we as humans were built for. It was interesting to read about some of the experiments that were done and the way a culture of "non-sitting" was implemented in various settings. This book inspired me not only to get up out of my chair more often, which I've been trying to do anyway, but to also do some walking around during those times.
David
Man, fucking chairs. Now I hate them. I was surprised to see a 7.5 hour book about how bad chairs are, but most of the book is interesting and worth listening to. About the last 20% gets a bit tediously self-helpy, talking about motivational strategies and stuff that I've heard covered better elsewhere. But on the topic of chairs, offices, and schools, Levine is passionate.
Rebecca
Read as far too anecdotal to me. I think this is a consequence of the entire thing being written in the first person. I didn't particularly care for that in a work of nonfiction that isn't supposed to be memoir. I read this looking for facts, but they were packed in with a lot of fluff and, when presented, were overly generalized. I like to be given the facts so that I can interpret them myself, but Levine seemed to skip over the hard science in order to present to us his own interpretations ins ...more
booknerdkim
So important. Please read this! Yet another great January-making-changes-in-my-life read. Nothing *new* because we all know we should move rather than be sedentary, and yet...it's so new and urgent.

I especially loved the chapter on active learning and the School of the Future, and how movement improves learning and health and creativity in students...
Fredrick Danysh
Dr. Levine looks at today's couch potato lifestyle. Most people in the industrialized regions of the world sitting for most of the day getting little exercise. He addresses the health issues that this lifestyle promotes and offers some advice. This was a free review copy.
Ellenh
This was an advanced reader from librarything.com. I had a hard time getting into this book. I was looking for more ideas on changing my environment and why, but he really took time getting to that.
EJR
I enjoyed this book. The reason I gave it three stars was because I felt the content was a little scattered and not entirely unified. The message was good and it definitely made me start moving more.
Valerie
Wow, this is such a fantastic book... If you are sitting too much, this book is for you. Great concepts and information. It really made me STAND UP. :)
Julio Ojeda-Zapata
An eye-opening book with, as a bonus, a handful of killer Apple anecdotes (including on in which the author strips in front of iPod creator Tony Fadell).
Dimitris Tzouris
Excellent read on the negative effects of seating, our natural predisposition on movement and why it is important. Also includes examples on improving education and some thoughts on play.
Karen
Information on why our bodies aren't meant to sit, and ideas of how to incorporate moving into the day.
George
Could be life changing. Radical thinking, however backed up by hundreds of medical studies done over the years by the author and other labs. I highly recommend this book.
Jack Oughton
The bit on the 'chairless classroom' trials is worth the read alone.
Blair Hodgkinson
Informative, scary, and I hope a game-changer (live-saver) for everyone who gets the message. Recommended!
Cosette
Best book I've read this year
Charissa Wilkinson
I received this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads Program for a fair review.

Dr. Levine has written a well researched book. One that I think has more information and benefits for the young.

This is the first self-help, in regards to physical self-help, that I’ve read. For the most part I believe the best way to help yourself is to help others. My advice is: use this book to help your children.
Gina
I received this book as a First Read. I appreciated all the data and research that went into the book but felt like it could've been condensed and edited down quite a bit. I also felt like it needed to spend more time addressing the fact that most employees have no control over how much they sit and didn't provide much in the way of alternatives. Sitting certainly has dire consequences but change will have to come from the top with employers looking to make life better for employees.
Madelaine
An easy, mass-market introduction to research on sedentary behaviour and sedentary behaviour intervention. Levine definitely paints himself as the hero of the story; it would have been nice to see the amazing research being done in other labs.
Felicia
Quite a lot to think about here. Perhaps on a walk. :)
Theresa Clemen
Not too too much new info.
  • Fitness Confidential
  • Darwin: Portrait of a Genius
  • Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body (The Build Healthy Muscle Series)
  • The Genome War: How Craig Venter Tried to Capture the Code of Life and Save the World
  • The Wright Brothers
  • Your Deceptive Mind: A Scientific Guide to Critical Thinking Skills
  • America, 1908: The Dawn of Flight, the Race to the Pole, the Invention of the Model T, and the Making of a Modern Nation
  • The Moral Arc: How Science and Reason Lead Humanity toward Truth, Justice, and Freedom
  • Social Media for Social Good: A How-To Guide for Nonprofits
  • Splendid Solution: Jonas Salk and the Conquest of Polio
  • The Obama Hate Machine: The Lies, Distortions, and Personal Attacks on the President---and Who Is Behind Them
  • The Cancer Chronicles: Unlocking Medicine's Deepest Mystery
  • Showdown
  • It's the Middle Class, Stupid!
  • Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life
  • The Slow Down Diet: Eating for Pleasure, Energy, and Weight Loss
  • Hitler's Scientists: Science, War, and the Devil's Pact
  • An Atheist in the FOXhole: A Liberal's Eight-Year Odyssey Inside the Heart of the Right-Wing Media
James A. Levine é Professor de Medicina na Mayo Clinic, cientista de renome mundial, médico e investigador.
Vive atualmente em Oronoco, no estado do Minnesota. Recentemente, viajou para Índia e, em Mumbai, onde esteve a entrevistar meninos de rua, ficou-lhe na mente a imagem de uma menina sentada na berma a escrever num diário. Esta visão foi tão marcante que o inspirou a dedicar-se à escrita.
More about James A. Levine...
The Blue Notebook Bingo's Run Move a Little, Lose a Lot: New N.E.A.T. Science Reveals How to Be Thinner, Happier, and Smarter Makass La ragione per cui corro