Start by marking “Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport, #7)” as Want to Read:
Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport, #7)

Mind Prey (Lucas Davenport #7)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  10,944 ratings  ·  271 reviews
John Sandford's acclaimed Prey novels featuring the brilliant Lucas Davenport have plunged millions of readers into the darkest recesses of the criminal mind. Now Lucas has met his match. His newest nemesis is more intelligent, more deadly, than any he has tracked before: a kidnapper, a violator, and a cruel, wanton killer who knows more about mind games than Lucas himself ...more
Audio CD [Abridged], Abridged, 0 pages
Published November 1st 1996 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Mind Prey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mind Prey

Kemper
Another day, another psychopath…

Andi Manette and her two daughters are kidnapped right outside the girls’ school by an evil bastard named John Mail. Andi is a psychologist who once treated Mail while he was in jail, and the man obsessed over her for years. Mail confines them in a room he built in the basement of a remote farmhouse, and he starts ruthlessly raping and beating Andi.

Not only is this the kind of case that brings on massive media attention, Andi is the daughter of a wealthy and polit
James Thane
This is one of the earlier books in John Sandford's acclaimed Prey series featuring Minneapolis police detective Lucas Davenport. In this case, Davenport, who has made a fortune writing computer simulations and games, finds himself up against a sociopathic gamer named John Mail.

Mail, who had once been institutionalized, kidnaps Andi Manette, a psychiatrist who had once treated him. Mail grabs Mantette's two young daughters as well. The Manette family is rich and politically connected and so this
aPriL does feral sometimes
My heart is still thundering. My god, I think I stopped breathing while reading the last 50 pages. Ooooooh.

A nightmare called John Mail is planning a kidnapping. He tortured and killed animals, and set fires as a child. One of his fires burned down a house killing two people. As a result, a post-doc assignment for a new young psychiatrist, Andi Manette, was to examine the 12-year-old locked up in Hennepin County jail. Mail already was almost full grown, despite his youth, and Andi decided he was
Deana M
I have enjoyed all of the "Prey" series so far, but "Mind Prey" has been the best and the most explosive in my opinion. Andi Manette and her two daughters Grace and Genevieve are taken in broad day light in front of the girls' school. John Mail is an psychopath and is very unstable. Andi Manette was John Mail's psychiatrist; she is the one who put him in a mental hospital. Because of this, he has a personal vendetta with Andi.

In walks Lucas Davenport, who in my opinion, is one of the best ficti
Marleen
Mind Prey is the particularly suspenseful 7th book in the Prey series, featuring Lucas Davenport. Lucas is still active as deputy chief of the Minneapolis Police Force and although he needs to take into account the political ramifications of this particular case, especially since his boss has political ambitions, for Lucas politics don’t really enter into play when lives are at stake. Sure, Lucas tries to play the political game to a certain extent, but that’s not really him. He likes the hunt a ...more
John
John Sandford doesn't really write bad books...he's too seasoned a storyteller for that. Still, the problem with a book like Mind Prey is it lacks spectacle. As book seven in a series, all the tropes are just a little too familiar and the storyline isn't all that different from what we've seen Lucas go up against in the past. Lucas Davenport, the book's main character, is almost never in danger, and Sandford chooses to use an over-abundance of swearing to make the story seem more exciting than i ...more
Kathy Davie
Seventh in the Lucas Davenport thriller series based in Minneapolis.

My Take
Sandford sets the story so we’ll empathize when the action heats up. A sub plot is that ring Davenport keeps bouncing around, slipping on and off his finger, rumors are rife and the betting hot, lol. Sandford is just plain mean to us with Weather vacillating over how much Lucas loves his job and if she can handle it. Lucas’ own concerns — exacerbated by his ladykiller past — keeps us on our toes as well. Will he or won’t
Brent Soderstrum
This is the 7th Lucas Davenport novel by John Sandford.

In this installment Davenport is investigating a psychiatric patient and former prisoner who has kidnapped Andi Manette and her two daughters. Manette was John Mail's psychiatrist.

Mail uses various means to try and trick Davenport into situations where he can be killed. Lots of mind games are played. Mail is somehow getting information about the investigation from the inside. A cop? A family member? Sandford uses this as a mystery when the r
Patti Christell
I read at least one John Sandford mystery each summer during vacation. This year I read Mind Prey. As always, Lucas Davenport is chasing the criminals of the Minneapolis communities while simultaneously addressing the personal conundrums in his own life. The dual-careered Davenport lives his adventure and creates the computer adventure games truly appreciated by gamers; his brain, perfectly designed to deal with these adventures, is at the same time logical and creative.

In Mind Prey, Lucas must
Monnie
I've said before that the books in John Sanford's "Prey" series get better as they go along, and Mind Prey continues that trend. It's perhaps the most thrilling one so far, and I can honestly say I hated to have to put it down when things like cooking, laundry and work reared their ugly heads. The threat of horrible killings was present always, and more "suspense" came in the form of not knowing whether lead character and erstwhile womanizer Lucas Davenport finally would pop the question to his ...more
Yolanda
Lucas Davenport is involved with an important case that includes a mom and her two daughters. They are kidnapped by a former mental patient that is both big and intelligent. This one was quite captivating and similar to the previous books at about one hundred pages left you want to make time to finish at one sitting.
Eve Nolon
It dragged just a wee too bit for me but a damned good story that brought out more about Lucas's gaming work, which I enjoyed. The "when will he propose" storyline was just this side of cute instead of annoying and the ending made me smile. The villain was a hot mess and just up my alley when it comes to villains.
Elisa
This one was much better. Excellent suspense. The characters had a little more life than normal, and Davenport was slightly less of an ass. One characterization that was hard to shake was the bad guy with claustrophobia. He sure seemed willing to throw himself into enclosed spaces.
Mickey
A police procedural told from both sides, detective and kidnapper. A gripping plot, with moments of humor or sweetness to break up the tension. (view spoiler)
William
When you read the back of these novels and it talks about how the protagonist is going up against his worst enemy yet, it rarely applies as well as it did with this novel. The sociopath in this novel, while not the most intelligent nor physically intimidating nutcase in literature, is twisted enough to earn the above title of "worst enemy yet." He regularly calls Lucas Davenport, our hero, and taunts him. He is as smart as Davenport, but the cat and mouse game between the two is intense, and unp ...more
Dale
For long-running serial genre novels, the Prey books are really rather good; this one is no exception. Sure, the patterns are getting pretty established and there are few twists - but Sandford's real talent is his characters. Not just Lucas, but the supporting cast too. Sloan, for example. How can you not like a guy who's wife doesn't even seem to know his first name?

This one had some interesting ethical discussions too as far as mandatory reporting for sex offenders. Sandford wasn't heavy hande
Ashley
Shirin
Jenny
This is part of the Lucas Davenport series, a police thriller set in Minnesota. This book centers on the kidnapping on a mother and her 2 daughters with psychiatric implications. The story is fast paced and keeps one intrigued on how the family will be rescued. (I have not read this series in order, so when I read this book it added another perspective on the characters' earlier years.)
Dawn
Awesome! Loved this book. The story was smart, funny at times, and intense. Our villain was pure evil and smart, but not smart enough for Lucas. By far the best ending and so far my favorite out of the Prey series. Looks like our Lucas is in love and I'm excited to see where that goes. I do need to get out of my "prey box" and read something else though. Let's see....
Carl Alves
In Mind Prey, police chief Lucas Davenport is chasing down a killer who has just kidnapped psychiatrist Andi Manette and her two daughters. The kidnapper is John Mail, a former patient of Andi’s. Lucas must match wits with the highly intelligent killer, who is enacting violent sexual fantasies with her. As part of Lucas’s strategy, he uses a computer game company that he owns to draw out Mail, who is also a gamer.

As far as thrillers of this type, Mind Prey stacks up well against others of the ge
Nancy
Gorging on Lucas Davenport and the Prey series may not be such a great idea, after all. It's fun when there's a mental palate cleansing between volumes, but reading one after another leads to lack of appreciation for what Sandford does well--Lucas's little bon mots and the ironies of law enforcement, like overriding the professional need for patients in psychiatric care to have their records shielded from law enforcement.

Jumping around in the series also leads to wondering about whether the seri
Derek
This is another strong entry in the Lucas Davenport series. With this book, Sandford chose to move away from his "serial killer of the month" pattern, and focus on a multiple kidnapping. This is not to imply that this is a "kinder, gentler" novel, though, because it's just as brutal as the previous ones, and in some ways it's even worse. As usual, the writing is tight, and the suspense is strong. Sandford spends a lot of time in the minds of the kidnapper and his victims, and Davenport continues ...more
elaynne
What can I say? I'm a serial series reader.
These books are pretty graphic and full of jolting language but the story lines are good (if you like crime/murder/etc type books). If you're offended by obscenities, then you should steer clear. Personally, I think the language is story-appropriate so if that gives you a clue of how the stories go and you still wish to read, proceed with caution.

I plan on reading the entire series (because that's what I do). Some of it has been amusing because they're
Ed
Feb 03, 2014 Ed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime thriller fans.
Another great one from Sandford, one of my favorite authors. This is a fairly early entry in the Lucas Davenport series. As always, the characters are well-drawn and the plot sucked me right in. It was very hard to put the book down.

The story opens with a kidnapping. Psychologist, Andi Manette and her two daughters are grabbed by a a psychopath, John Mail, who had obsessed over her for years while he was in prison. He imprisons the three of them in a remote farmhouse and begins a reign of terror
Dotti Elrick
Lucas Davenport is called in to help find a woman and her two young daughters who have been kidnapped. The woman is Andi Mannett, the daughter of a wealthy buisnessman, the wife of a self made millionaire, and a psychologist who has treated some very disturbing patients. One of those patients was John Mail. Andi treated him when he was 10 years old, and even at that young age he scared her to death. Mail is in his mid twenties now and he remembers the effect Andi had on him. And he wants her.

It
Paula Dembeck
Dale
Quite the Thriller!

Mind Prey
is the seventh in a series of novels featuring Lucas Davenport, a tough police detective in Minnesota. It is the third and definitely the best that I have read in the series.

Davenport is more than a detective, he also designs role-playing and computer simulation games, a hobby that blossomed into a multi-million dollar business. The twist in this plot is that the bad guy is a psycho who happens to love role-playing games. He kidnaps one of his former therapists to fu
Maria Hardin
John Sandford writes a mean, and I do intend 'mean', gritty novel ... I finished in two days since I couldn't stop until my eyes felt like shredded glass. Lucas Davenport always confounds my sense of right and wrong as he walks the edge of razors dragging me along beside. I've read the Prey books for years and this early one is the best yet ... though I might say that with every book of this series.
Ann
This book was wonderful. It grabbed me on page one and didn't let me go until page 329. Andi Manette and her two young daughters were grabbed and kidnapped in broad daylight in front of the girls' school. Lucas Davenport is called in to find them before it's too late and he does it in style, as usual. This book is the most suspenseful of the series so far. I couldn't put it down.
Did anyone find this one especially disturbing? 19 66 Oct 01, 2014 09:51AM
  • Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6)
  • Lullaby Town (Elvis Cole, #3)
  • Monkeewrench (Monkeewrench, #1)
  • Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • Undercurrents (Boldt/Matthews, #1)
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Murder Book (Alex Delaware, #16)
John Sandford was born John Camp on February 23, 1944, in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. He attended the public schools in Cedar Rapids, graduating from Washington High School in 1962. He then spent four years at the University of Iowa, graduating with a bachelor's degree in American Studies in 1966. In 1966, he married Susan Lee Jones of Cedar Rapids, a fellow student at the University of Iowa. He was in th ...more
More about John Sandford...

Lucas Davenport (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1)
  • Shadow Prey (Lucas Davenport, #2)
  • Eyes of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #3)
  • Silent Prey (Lucas Davenport #4)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Night Prey (Lucas Davenport, #6)
  • Sudden Prey (Lucas Davenport, #8)
  • Secret Prey (Lucas Davenport, #9)
  • Certain Prey (Lucas Davenport, #10)
  • Easy Prey (Lucas Davenport, #11)
Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport, #1) Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5) Buried Prey (Lucas Davenport, #21) Chosen Prey (Lucas Davenport, #12) Bad Blood (Virgil Flowers, #4)

“Having some guy shine his flashlight up my asshole isn’t gonna improve my addition,” he said.” 0 likes
“for a few moments, and he went inside. Halfway down the hall and around a corner, he” 0 likes