Start by marking “Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined” as Want to Read:
Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined

Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  13 reviews
We all know one hard and undeniable truth: Physical beauty comes with tremendous power, and tremendous benefits. Those who possess it are generally luckier in love, more likely to be popular, and more apt to get better grades in school. But very few of us realize just how much looks affect every aspect of our lives. Recent studies document that people blessed with good loo ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by AMACOM/American Management Association

To ask other readers questions about Looks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looks

Christina V.
The main point of the book (as I'm sure you can guess from its subtitle) is that looks are extremely important in life. Each chapter then goes into more detail about how one's PA (physical attractiveness) comes into play when it comes to specific areas of life and the world. For example, some of the chapters include how it affects love and relationships, family dynamics, education, employment, and the law.

In all honesty, sometimes I found the book a little repetitive, but I suppose that is beca
Snarky's
I'm totally biased because I adore this author. We had a long email back and forth since last summer and I find him lovely, charming and a damn fine writer. And believe me, I hate just about everyone and everything.

He's a messager you don't really want to shoot. It's all there in the research. Looks matter and people are notorious for attributing positive qualities based on nothing but a person's appearance. I observed this phenom in college where I was surrouned by some of the stupidest people
With Butterflies
Eh. It was interesting from several standpoints, but I'm not sure I buy it completely. I don't deny that we're all judged on looks every day, but I'm not sure all of the data reported is completely honest.

The author's selective data suggests that looks are more important than any other factor, and I respectfully disagree.

Still, a worthwhile read.
malaysia book #3. This book fleshes out an idea that we all know: physical attractiveness matters in most realms of life and affect and affects most aspects of our judgments about people. I thought the last half was not nearly as engaging and though provoking as the first half where the author really lays out his argument. If anything, I see how my confidence in how I look has ramifications for my overall self confidence and success, though really makes it suck to be unattractive. Damn that natu ...more
Kim
I find this subject fascinating. Study after study reveals how shallow people really are when it comes to looks. It seems almost hardwired, as even newborns prefer good looking people. The study results were informative, surprising and depressing, but really made me think about my physical presentation more than ever. Guess I'll continue to bleach my hair after all.
Rachel
The first half seems to suggest that if I don't have good looks, I'm out of luck. The second half convinces me I'd rather go without luck than deal with the complications and prices of cosmetic surgery. A worthy book for a society who sees no dangers with rampant lookism.
Stephen Cranney
I have a hard time accepting psychology studies that have extremely small sample sizes, so I took a lot of what this author said with a grain of salt. That said, he does a decent job of arguing that lookism is a pernicious problem that deserves more overt attention.
I found the actual data to be very persuasive, but the writing is so bad as to be almost unreadable. I put it down repeatedly because I was so frustrated with the author's hokey idioms, badly constructed paragraphs, and incessant exclamation points.
Kurt Gopaulsingh
I like the research included within this publication and the sources were almost overly abundant, ensuring that i had lots to investigate. I like the stats provided, they give me evidence to back up widely spread claims.
Tian Xie
A series of pop-psychology articles collected into book. Considering the fraud scandals that have plagued the social psychology in the past few years, I would take these claims with a grain of salt.
Lauren
This was fascinating but parts felt redundant. The studies were really interesting and some of the findings were unexpected.
Rosa
Jan 25, 2011 Rosa is currently reading it
This book looks interesting to read.
Angela
really interesting insight
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Maryn
Maryn marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Annag
Annag marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
JAC
JAC marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Nash Nash
Nash Nash marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Michael Baylosis
Michael Baylosis is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Vinay
Vinay marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Hayley Diep
Hayley Diep marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Vicky
Vicky added it
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • It's Not You, It's Biology.: The Science of Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • Sexual Intelligence: What We Really Want from Sex--and How to Get It
  • Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time
  • Sex on the Brain: The Biological Differences Between Men and Women
  • Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud
  • The Intimate Sex Lives of Famous People
  • Decoding Love: Why It Takes Twelve Frogs to Find a Prince, and Other Revelations from the Science of Attraction
  • Frumpy to Fabulous: Flaunting It. Your Ultimate Guide to Effortless Style
  • Unspeakable Love: Gay and Lesbian Life in the Middle East
  • The Threesome Handbook: Make the Most of Your Favorite Fantasy - the Ultimate Guide for Tri-Curious Singles and Couples
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • The Technology of Orgasm: "Hysteria," the Vibrator, and Women's Sexual Satisfaction
  • Why Sex Matters: A Darwinian Look at Human Behavior
  • How to Never Look Fat Again: Over 1,000 Ways to Dress Thinner--Without Dieting!
  • Ugly Beauty: Helena Rubinstein, L'Oreal, and the Blemished History of Looking Good
  • Loneliness: Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection
  • Satisfaction: Sensation Seeking, Novelty, and the Science of Finding True Fulfillment
Experiment-Research Methodology in Marketing: Types and Applications Why Physically Attractive People Are More Successful: The Scientific Explanation, Social Consequences, and Ethical Problems The Physical Attractiveness Phenomena Using Secondary Data in Marketing Research: United States and Worldwide