Start by marking “Refined Instincts (Instincts, #5)” as Want to Read:
Refined Instincts (Instincts, #5)

Refined Instincts (Instincts #5)

Troy Raines wants it all to end. His pain, his heartache, his regrets. Having been in hiding to avoid capture from the Tribunal, he returns to Chicago believing since that's where everything began for him, that's where it should end, as well.

Renart Bellerose has known many regrets in his long life as a vampire, but few are stronger than what he has regarding Troy Raines. A
214 pages
Published October 31st 2013 by MLR Press

Bound by Blood by Jourdan LaneInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceNotturno by Z.A. MaxfieldDeceptions by Jourdan LaneSacrifice by Jourdan Lane
Best Gay Vampires
228th out of 435 books — 631 voters
Strawberries for Dessert by Marie SextonChange of Heart by Mary CalmesDrawn Together by Z.A. MaxfieldTiming by Mary CalmesCollision Course by K.A. Mitchell
Best Gay Pretty Men
206th out of 241 books — 196 voters

More lists with this book...

JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Dec 01, 2013 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, paranormal, ebook, bosl

Review coming soon from The Blog of Sid Love.

I’ve been looking forward to Troy’s story ever since Daniel threw him from the building, leaving him crippled. I just knew there was more to his story and was really happy to finally see that play out.

Sadly, when this starts, Troy is set on finishing things to finally end his pain and suffering. He returns to Chicago, the scene of the crime, so to speak, to make that happen. However, he didn’t count on his master, Renart, stepping in and essentially c
Trisha Harrington
Another book in this series that I've loved! Yeah, I will always prefer books 1 and 3 because Titus and Andreas are my favourite couple from the series. But I find myself a fan of the couples the author puts together. Even if I was surprised to see Troy get his own book.

If you are a fan of Vamp's and love a good romance, these books are going to be for you. There are some small things that annoyed me about this book. I would have liked to have seen Troy tell Renart about his past with Issac. Mai
Susan65
Nov 03, 2013 Susan65 rated it really liked it
We finally get Troy's story, and it was so worth the wait. I have had my heart set on Troy getting his HEA since he was crippled after being thrown from a building and when he ended his rogue vampire lovers life. I just knew that there was some greatness left in his misguided heart, and I was so glad to be proven right.

What I didn't expect was Renart to be his one true love. I was never a Renart fan because he was too uppity, too....refined. But having learned about his past...and ouch, what a h
Matthew
Nov 03, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. It was good to get some closure in regards to Troy's story as well as Renart's. The story was that much more gripping because we've seen these characters in pretty much every book so it's been a slow but steady buildup. One thing that always irks me is Ryu. He just annoys me...always so much male posturing and trying to intimidate others. I know that's part of his character and samurai past but seriously he needs to dial it down a notch.
Nikko
Nov 03, 2013 Nikko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I totally loved this one!! I actually liked Renard since bk 1 even he acts like a diva most of times.. So glad Troy found his hea even though he was a bad guy in most of the bks..
Lily
Nov 30, 2013 Lily rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, vampires
3.9 stars rounded up. Two emotionally complicated protagonists who each needed a different kind of redemption... I enjoyed the story very much, quite possibly the highlight for me in this series thus far.
Adelaide
Sep 14, 2016 Adelaide rated it it was ok
Two stars because honestly, Troy is a piece of shit and should have been executed. He hadn't changed at all, not really. His attitude, constantly bitching at everyone and getting into arguments with people who have authority...He was rude, disrespectful to pretty much everyone he met, etc. I saw no redeeming qualities in his character. He wallowed in self-pity, instead of realizing that he was not the only who Renart had failed as a master, but he was the only one to start a rebellion, to begin ...more
Bitchie *hates the new GR Homepage*
First off- the positives: Troy and Renart both find their redemption in this book. I never expected it to be with each other, but it made sense the way it was told. We also got a few glimpses of Titus, Andreas, and the BFF Vamp brigade, which is always nice. A new vampire, Domingo, was introduced to us, and we got yet another glimpse of the very mysterious former assassin, Li. I hope we see more of these vampires.

Now, for the negatives: I felt a few things were forgotten. For instance, it appear
Ro Dubose
Dec 15, 2013 Ro Dubose rated it it was amazing
Home for vampire Troy Raines is not a place but a person. Broken in spirit as well as his body, returning to the place where his vampire life began is a fitting place for his life to terminate. In spite of this, Troy’s maker, Lord Renart Bellerose is able to persuade Troy that salvation comes only to the living.

Refined Instincts is the fifth book in the Instincts series. This is a series that is best read in sequence because the cameo scenes are main characters from previous episodes. The plot i
Joyfully Jay
Dec 09, 2013 Joyfully Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: melanie
This review was originally written for Joyfully Jay Reviews.

Read Melanie's review in it's entirety here.

4 stars

Refined Instincts brings back two of the most confounding characters of this series, ones that the readers will have mixed emotions about, and unites them in a relationship full of regret, guilt, and passion. Throughout the Instincts series, Lord Renart Bellerose has been a sort of prickly, charming, and untrustworthy thorn in the side of Lord Titus Antonius and his lover, now Eternal
Rachel
Jan 02, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Ug, I don't think I've given any book in this series a 3 star review. But this one needed it. I, for one, never saw Renart as someone who needed his own book. Yes, he was a side character that appeared in pretty much all of the previous books, but he just never seemed rounded out to the point where I was rooting for him and understood him. And even after his book, with backstory and everything, it still fell flat for me.

Also, the chemistry between Renart and Troy just wasn't there for me either
Beacullen
Feb 07, 2015 Beacullen rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
So once again, when I realized this book was about Renart and Troy, I almost didnt read it. I am SO glad I did. There really is so much more to both of these characters than is told in the previous books. Troy is far from the evil boy that he appeared to be in the previous books, he was more of a lost boy looking for someone or something to make him whole. When he returns to Chicago intending to kill himself Renart is there to stop him. Renart has a lot of remorse for the way things ended up for ...more
Melanie
Jan 31, 2014 Melanie rated it really liked it

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

A wonderful addition to an addictive and enticing series. Two memorable and not always likable characters from previous novels reunite in a conflagration that threatens to be either their salvation or final death. A must read for lovers of this series and vampire fiction in general. For my full review visit http://wp.me/p220KL-1PI

Another ScatteredThoughtsandRogueWords.com review.
Arch Bala
I've always loved Renart since the first book and I thought he's got a very interesting story to tell especially now that his once minion, Troy came back (or trying to repent his sins). I enjoyed most of it but I didn't find least meatier than the first three books in the series. Wonderful writing still from S.J. Frost and fans of the series (like moi) will still enjoy this one.
Andrea
Apr 27, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it
2nd read 4/27/2016 - 2.5

I loved the character matching in this one - also the writing and story. Too much sex but mostly it advanced the story. It just got boring waiting for that advance to happen.
Lily
I've really enjoyed this series but was a bit disappointed with the last story. Luckily, Refined Instincts didn't disappoint me. It was great to see Troy and Renart get their unexpected, yet long overdue HEA.
Chanty
Sep 05, 2014 Chanty rated it really liked it
Better than I thought. I didn't think I would like Troy all that much. He was a bit stupid starting the rebellion. And Renart was a bit too arrogant. But together they worked. It feld like they belonged together and they fought for their HEA. The story was very enjoyable.
LynW
Dec 05, 2013 LynW rated it really liked it
Shelves: guy
I liked seeing the old gang back and this one was a good addition; I am hoping for a Lucas/Domingo coupling?
This one was sort of "meh" for me. I didn't connect at all to either of the main chars like I did in the previous books.
Rinkyx
Mar 17, 2014 Rinkyx rated it really liked it
Loved it! I hope there's a next one coming out soon cuz I can't get enough!!! Errrmagawddd a must read! One of my fave series I've ever read!
Gwendolyn
Nov 17, 2013 Gwendolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
This book is trying too hard to stretch out a series. Sometimes side characters should just stay side characters.
MariDAcanto
MariDAcanto rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Milana Tatarenko
Milana Tatarenko rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
Cecilia Rodriguez
Cecilia Rodriguez rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Ian Ormot
Ian Ormot rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Mela
Mela rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Despina
Despina rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2013
Sui Lynn
Sui Lynn rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Soul Magic (Triad #3)
  • Secrets (Soul Mates #4)
  • Winter Winds
  • Strength of the Wolf (The Tameness of the Wolf #2)
  • Snare (Channeling Morpheus/Sweet Oblivion, #7)
  • Cinder (Blood Nation, #2)
  • Close Quarter (Close Quarter, #1)
  • Dare to Love Forever (New Vampire Justice #1)
  • Unexpected Demands (Hidden Wolves, #2)
  • Notturno (The Hours Trilogy #1)
  • Conquer the Flames (Lang Downs #4)
  • Spirit Sanguine (Sanguine, #1)
  • With a Kiss
  • Reclamation (Dominion, #2)
S.J. Frost resides in Ohio with her family, pets, and horses. Her short stories have been featured in several erotic and romance anthologies, and her novels are published through MLR Press. Rock stars, vampires, fantasy heroes, and more, she enjoys dabbling in many different sub-genres in gay romance, but no matter what she writes, love and passion are the driving forces in every story.
More about S.J. Frost...

Instincts (6 books)
  • Natural Instincts (Instincts, #1)
  • Enduring Instincts (Instincts, #2)
  • Loving Instincts (Instincts, #3)
  • Adapting Instincts (Instincts, #4)
  • Protective Instincts (Instincts, #6)