Start by marking “Steward of Song” as Want to Read:
Steward of Song

Steward of Song (Singer of Souls #2)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In Singer of Souls, young Douglas fled his American life of drugs and petty crime, arriving in Scotland to be taken in by his stern but fair-minded grandmother. Unfortunately, his career as a busker was interrupted by the fey folk who invisibly share Edinburgh's streets, who dragged him into their own internecine wars.

Now Douglas, usurper, sits on the throne of Faery--hold...more
Published November 19th 2013 by Tor Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Steward of Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steward of Song

Mike (the Paladin)
I read Singer of Souls and found it an excellent, even an exceptional book...up to the last chapter where it completely crashed and burned. This book, the sequel to the aforementioned read was just the opposite. FOR ME it was a slog through the story of a sister trying to rescue her brother from (mostly) himself as the said brother tries to kill his own son. Why? Well at the end of the last book, the main character Douglas, found he could become an (almost) omnipotent wizard. He's now a megaloma...more
Tess
This is the sequel to "Singer of Souls." The first book was wonderful, until about 3/4s of the way through and then it got weird and ugly and I didn't like the ending at all.
Then, to my relief, I see a sequel has come out! This book focuses on Douglas Stewart's (from Singer of Souls) siblings and their search for Douglas.
I liked it a lot more - the characters were a lot more likable than Douglas ever was. However, this book took me only a day to read! Way too short! And of course it is only setu...more
Stefan
This is the sequel to "Singer of Souls", which I thought was an excellent and original urban fantasy novel. Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed with the sequel, and I've been trying to decide why it didn't hit the same spot with me as the first book. The only thing I can think of is that the first book had a great narrative curve (if that's even a term?) --- it really built up the plot and the tension very carefully, from a slow start to a gradual exposition to an explosive climax. I couldn't p...more
Judah
I quite liked the first book in this duology, and was looking forward to the sequel, but something about it never sat right. It wasn't bad, per se, just...boring? Something was missing.

I think it says something that I started reading it about a month ago, then picked up another book and got into that one instead. Then, just the other day, I thought "oh, I should finish Steward of Song" and picked it back up again....only to discover that I HAD finished it already, but didn't recall doing so.
Ellyn
The sequel to Stemple's "Singer of Souls" introduces Douglas' siblings Scott, an Iraq war vet hiding out in a cabin in Massachusetts, and Bridie, a former police officer on her way to Scotland to find out what happened to her brother and grandmother. The book alternates between Scott's point of view, as he deals with an infant left on his doorstep and the magical creatures after that infant, and Bridie's search through Scotland for answers to her family's troubles. Interspersed are impressions f...more
Fantasy Literature
Steward of Song is the sequel to Singer of Souls, an excellent and original urban fantasy novel by Adam Stemple. I enjoyed the first novel very much, but unfortunately wasn't as impressed with this sequel. Singer of Souls had a great narrative curve, building up the plot and the tension very carefully, from a slow start to a gradual exposition to an explosive climax. I simply couldn't put it down. Steward of Songmaintains more or less the same pace all through the story, making this a less compu...more
Kelly
Picking up where Singer of Souls left off we now meet up with douglas's brother and sister... this book was ok, it ended a lot nicer than singer (i.e., the happy ending), however it was not as memorable of a tale. I think Stemple just didn't put as much passion and good story telling into the character of douglas's brother and sister in steward as he had done for douglas in singer - which is unfortunate because i would have liked the part of the story that ends happily to have been as memorable...more
Hannah Stimpson
Not bad

A few mistakes in the text that always catch your eye and take away from the storyline.. Besides that the book is well written and an easy read. Would recommend it for lovers of fantasy series. Characters you can love. Not bad.
Julia
Trina
Sep 03, 2008 Trina rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy buffs
Recommended to Trina by: North Richland Hills Library
I really liked this book, just like my rating states (wink). It has a wonderful mix of fantasy and real life, engaging characters with mystical and real problems. I was hooked by the front cover "A tale of human murder and faery consequences." I knew I had to read on. I did not start with the first book "Singer of Souls" but it did not hamper my reading in any way. What a pleasant find at my local library on their new release shelf. Yay library!
Jayden
I enjoyed this book.

It has a good, fast paced story, a mythical world next to the real one, solid main characters and good support characters.

It's a bit short for my liking, seeing as I finished it in a day, and I disliked the villain, but not in a "oh, good villain" kind of way but in a bored kind of way.

It has it's strong sides, for lovers of Celtic mythology a very nice read, but it's not on my must-read list.
Elsi
A much better book than the first one, Singer of Souls . The ending seemed to leave things open for another book in the series and I hope that Mr. Stemple is motivated to tell us more about these characters.
Madteapartier
Strong sequel to Singer of Souls which was an excellent novel. Didn't like the direction this story took, however, it proved to be a suspenseful, entertaining read. Interested to see what Stemple comes up with next!
Chris Bernard
I agree with the other notes on this one - it is the second in a series, after a first novel which gave no indication that there would be more. The first novel was a little bit mean, and this is a much warmer read.
Wendy
Wonderful follow up to 'Singer of Souls'. In fact this book was twice as good as the first. I read it in a day which is always a sign that a book is too good to put down. Highly recommend this fantasy novel to all.
Suburbangardener
I didn't like the sequel as well as the first book. It was hard to adjust to the hero becoming the villan. It also was a little too much like a police procedural than an alternate reality book.
Mary
Nicely written. He is able to keep the various branches of the main story connected and relevant to each other. For a relativity new author, he does a very good job.
Bandit
Very good sequel, more good strong characters. Charles Vess is missed, the cover art is just not the same.
reed
Pretty good fantasy book. Manages to avoid almost all cliches.
Jennine
interesting story... the ending lacked!!
Kristin
Read from 3/21 to 3/24.
Miah Supetran
Miah Supetran marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Cindy Jeffers
Cindy Jeffers marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Gerb
Gerb marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Singer of Souls (Singer of Souls, #1) Pay the Piper Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy The Hostage Prince (The Seelie Wars, #1)