Start by marking “Liliane's Balcony” as Want to Read:
Liliane's Balcony

Liliane's Balcony

Liliane’s Balcony is a multi-voiced novella-in-flash set at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Fallingwater. Built for Pittsburgh merchants E.J. and Liliane Kaufmann in 1935, the house is as much a character as it is a setting. One September night in 1952, Liliane Kaufmann—tired of her husband’s infidelities—overdoses on pain pills in her bedroom. From there, Liliane’s Balcony ...more
Published October 7th 2013 by Rose Metal Press (first published October 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Liliane's Balcony, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liliane's Balcony

Tara
Dec 09, 2014 Tara rated it it was amazing
Parker has woven together a deep, introspective study of the ebb and flow of a complex love story, that moves within the historical frame of Frank Lloyd Wright's most famous architectural triumph, Fallingwater. Especially poignant and deftly drawn is the main character, Liliane, whose voice is the anchor to all the minor characters, including Frida Kahlo, that swirl around her. Interspersed with powerful, direct quotes from her husband and Wright.

One of the most beautifully designed books I've
Ryan Smith
Dec 17, 2013 Ryan Smith rated it really liked it
In Liliane's Balcony Kelcey Parker continues in rich stride of her debut collection, For Sale by Owner, with a novella that is pristinely imagined and delicately constructed. This book manages the admirable ambition of balancing a mixture of history and liberties taken with it, taking an already compelling, emotionally complex story of domestic strife as one layered story among others. The cumulative effect feels enjoyably effortless, blending gestures both natural and meticulously constructed ...more
Clemente_in_right
Oct 25, 2013 Clemente_in_right rated it it was amazing
This hit me on so many levels and took me emotionally and mentally and nostalgically to places I rarely purposefully go. It got me. I cried. Heartbreak, heartache, disappointment and disenchantment find everyone - the rich and the regular - no matter where or how they live. The setting of Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater serves well as the core of the story and the author does a superb job of delineating the features of the house while interweaving a story that deals with both the past and the ...more
Crystal
Sep 22, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, sad, poetic, and unlike anything I've ever read. 5 stars for creativity. My recommendation: have this book handy and read while looking over at Fallingwater from the designated viewing area on the property.
Laura Zurowski
Dec 31, 2013 Laura Zurowski rated it really liked it
I had the opportunity to see Kelcey Parker read sections of Liliane's Balcony at the Modern Formations Gallery in Pittsburgh earlier this year. That preview, combined with my first visit to Falingwater over the summer, was enough to pique my interest in this book - and I was not disappointed.

The story is reminiscent of Tom Stoppard's Arcadia in that the narrative contains two sets of characters, in two distinct time periods, but overlapping at the shared location of Fallingwater. The present day
Beth
Aug 07, 2014 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for so much more so I could recommend this book to relatives who stay and ski near here and have brought me to both the Wright houses in the area. BUT- absolutely not! This is a story about a few people who are in one of the tour groups of the famous house. This book has their reactions as well as short glimpses of the Kauffman Pittsburgh department store wife. The Kauffman family and their servants spent weekends there after her husband planed the house with Wright. Stream of ...more
Melanie Page
Mar 07, 2014 Melanie Page rated it really liked it
Shelves: grab-the-lapels
A few key points to know about Parker's new novella: it's told in several different points of view; the sections are written as flash fiction; the center is Frank Lloyd Wright's architectural achievement, Fallingwater; the counterpart to the house is Liliane, the real-life first owner of Fallingwater who also overdosed and died there; and some sections are actual letters Liliane's husband Edgar Kaufmann wrote to her.

Read the rest of the review at Grab the Lapels
Lori G
Sep 03, 2014 Lori G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always interested in the effect of buildings on people. Parker's book helps us to understand the feelings and reflections triggered by Fallingwater today as well as when it was built. The meaning of Fallingwater is evident for the Kaufman's as well as vistitors today. In addition this novella demonstrates Frank Lloyd Wright's ability to translate his interpretation of the Kaufman's, the setting, the drama, into a timeless masterpiece.
Steve
Apr 24, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
This "novel-in-flash" is a beautiful demonstration of the power of hybridity. Fact/Fiction, Historical document/Figment of Imagination, Novel/Flash Fiction Story, etc. It never claims to inhabit the poetry genre, but the prose here is downright poetic, so add that to the list as well. A beautiful book overall (and beautifully published by Rose Metal Press to boot).
Carole Nahra
Apr 18, 2014 Carole Nahra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Loving Frank by K. Horan about Frank Lloyd Wright, I was interested in reading more about his work. I chose Liliane's Balcony because it was set at Falling Waters, designed by Wright. The book was disjointed and uninteresting to downright boring. I learned nothing more about Wright. Not worth the short time it took to read.
Gregory
Jun 02, 2014 Gregory rated it it was amazing
I love how beautifully Parker interweaves the multiple narratives. I know very little about Fallingwater or Frank Lloyd Wright, but the way the novel is constructed gives me a sense of the home's architecture. Rooms turn to water and it is hard to tell the inside from the outside, just as people flow into structure, making it hard to separate characters from the space they inhabit.
Kim
Dec 27, 2013 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having walked through Falling Water helps in envisioning this novella. The book engaged, just felt short and lacking in sufficient threads for this reader.
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Darrin Doyle
Darrin Doyle rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Marty
Marty rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Keegan
Keegan rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2015
Meg Tuite
Meg Tuite rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2014
Emily Natzel
Emily Natzel rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
andree wright
andree wright rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Katie Surges
Katie Surges rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Ryan Bradley
Ryan Bradley rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Brandy Bohm
Brandy Bohm rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
Fern
Fern rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Marvin
Marvin rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2013
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2014
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was ok
May 04, 2014
Wintergal
Wintergal rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2014
4631946
Kelcey Parker Ervick is the author of The Bitter Life of Božena Němcová, a hybrid work of biography, memoir, and art. She is the author of two award-winning works of fiction: For Sale By Owner (Kore Press) and Liliane’s Balcony (Rose Metal Press), a novella set at Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater. A recipient of grants from the Indiana Arts Commission and the Sustainable Arts Foundation, she ...more
More about Kelcey Parker Ervick...