Start by marking “Henry and the Clubhouse” as Want to Read:
Henry and the Clubhouse

Henry and the Clubhouse (Henry Huggins #5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,830 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Fiery Ramona Quimby and the well-meaning Henry Huggins may clash, but in this delightful and hilariously told novel by Newbery Medal-winning author Beverly Cleary, an unlikely compromise wins the day.

Henry and his friends are building a no-girls-allowed clubhouse. With a private space of their own away from everyone else—and even a top secret entry password—they're all thr
Published March 18th 2014 by HarperCollins (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and the Clubhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and the Clubhouse

The Invasion of the Potty Snatchers by Dav PilkeyJames and the Giant Peach by Roald DahlCaptain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets by Dav PilkeyThe Adventures of Super Diaper Baby by Dav PilkeyThe Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future by Dav Pilkey
b
17th out of 107 books — 2 voters
Henry Huggins by Beverly ClearyThe Trouble With Chickens by Doreen CroninTales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet by Kirk ScroggsBig Nate Goes for Broke by Lincoln PeirceHenry and Ribsy by Beverly Cleary
100 2
96th out of 97 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

ABC
May 10, 2012 ABC rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
I was planning to give this four stars, but by the end of the book, I loved it so much that I decided to give it five stars. I knew there was a reason Beverly Cleary was my favorite author when I was kid. It is not actually not that much about the clubhouse--it is more about the paper route and dealing with Beezus and Ramona. I just love Henry's resourcefulness and can-do attitude.

Some things will seem outdated but hey, it was written in 1962. Back in the days when it was actually conceivable th
Kate
Aug 05, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review from an eight-year-old:

"This is a book about a clubhouse and no girls allowed. Someone locked Henry inside on purpose because of this. I like the book because Henry and I have a lot in common and it's a funny story. My favorite part was when Henry got his name in the newspaper. I would rate this book 6 stars- the best!"

8/5/13
Judy

As part of My Big Fat Reading Project, I am reading my way through Beverly Cleary's books. The Henry series are for young readers aged 8-12.

Good old Henry, the youngest paper boy in town, decides to build a clubhouse in his backyard, along with his friends Robert and Murph. But Murph doesn't like girls so he insists it be a "Boys Only" clubhouse.

Henry as usual is juggling multiple problems: One of his good friends is Beezus, who is a girl. He has to keep his paper route going while also working
Eunyoung
Mar 07, 2013 Eunyoung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another classic by the beloved children's book author, Beverly Cleary!

I read this a long time- probably in elementary school but you can never go wrong re-reading Beverly Cleary's books. While there are so many current children's books out now that are great, there's something to be said about Beverly Cleary's books. Mainly, I think it's because they seem so wholesome- for lack of a better word. She write about a time when kids had paper routes and wrote letters by hand (and not texting on their
Rebecca
Henry books are not as endearing as the Ramona series. Through Henry's eyes, Ramona is nothing more than a pest. I admire his pluck and his work ethic, and I'm happy to report that Henry is not as sexist as he was in Henry and Ribsy. Once again, though, I was bothered that a 1962 book got re-illustrated in 2007. So a kid who rides in a bathtub tied to a trailer hitched to a car . . . wears a bicycle helmet on his paper route?! Either make the drawings historically accurate or strive for a kind o ...more
Libby
Apr 07, 2015 Libby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this out loud to my 6-year-old son and my 4-year old daughter occasionally listened, but wasn't as enthralled by it as some others we have read. My son did pay attention, but I felt he also wasn't as interested as others.

I think this is a book for a very confident young reader, as the entire book was only 6 chapters long and each chapter was about 30+ pages - much too long for a reader new to chapter books. This was not a page-turner, in that each chapter sort of had its own plot that wr
Tanner Simonson
Apr 25, 2016 Tanner Simonson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose to read this book because I had read one of the other books from the series last trimester and enjoyed that book. The main theme of the book was for Henry to find enough free time to build a clubhouse in his backyard. Henry was able to get a lot of lumber and windows from his neighbors garage that they were remodeling. Henry and his friends, Robert and Murph, spent whatever free time they had planing and building the clubhouse. Henry needed to make sure that he kept up with his responsib ...more
Richard Ward
Apr 23, 2015 Richard Ward rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the author.
Henry learns that a paper route is more work than he realized, and that it sometimes means working when you'd rather be playing. He learns other lessons about work and business, too. Reminded me of Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Also reminded me that child labor laws rob children of precious educational opportunities, among other things. Although the book is mostly about his paper route, the title is still appropriate, as helping his friends build a clubhouse is something Henry has to somet ...more
Jennifer Margulis
Henry Huggins is the youngest boy doing a paper route. He is desperate to do a good job, prove himself to the other, older boys, earn enough money to buy himself a sleeping bag, and also show Mr. Capper--and his father--that he is not too young to be a responsible paper boy.

But life isn't easy for Henry. Henry is a boy with big ideas and even bigger self-doubts. When Ribsy gets attacked by a bigger, fiercer dog on his paper route, Henry has no idea how to respond and finds himself terrified of
Jill
Jun 08, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please find this audiobook, performed by Neal Patrick Harris, and listen to it this week.

Henry almost loses his paper route due to a ride in a bathtub through Portland. My kids loved that.

But it gets better.

He and his friends build a clubhouse where there are "No Girls Allowed!" By now you would think Henry wouldn't think Ramona would honor a sign. It's a sign. And she is Ramona. No password, no sign, nothing will stop her.

This book is my son's favorite in the Henry Huggins series. I think ever
Devon Flaherty
Feb 09, 2016 Devon Flaherty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Henry Huggins series of books by Beverly Cleary. They are, in chronological order, Henry Huggins (1950), Henry and Beezus (1952), Henry and Ribsy (1954), Henry and the Paper Route (1957), Henry and the Clubhouse (1962), and Ribsy. The Henry Huggins series contains the Ribsy series and meshes with the Ramona series.

For our second--and the second largest--character series by Cleary, we moved from Ramona to Henry and his beloved dog, Ribsy. The first scene introduces Ribsy and he appears in all
Amahla
Funny book but there are some now politically incorrect moments like Henry dressing up as an Indian for halloween. It was written in the 1960's.
Anne
Apr 13, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O wonderful Henry Huggins! O more wonderful to find this chapter in his adventures, to me half-forgotten probably because the local library doesn't carry it. Henry rides down the middle of town in an old bathtub, dressed up as an Indian for Halloween, makes friends with Mrs. Peabody and even her Dalmatian Ranger, and builds a clubhouse out of old boards from a garage. The episode with Sheriff Bud is very entertaining, if a little bit dated; dated in a charming kind of way, like saddle shoes and ...more
Irene
Feb 12, 2013 Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
Another fantastic book about Henry Huggins! This book ended on such a high note that towards the end, I just couldn't stop smiling.

It's true the book is about Henry building his clubhouse, but the title easily could have been Henry and Ramona. I loved seeing Ramona play a bigger role in this book, and I especially enjoyed reading about her relationship with Henry. Even though Ramona is generally considered the neighborhood pest, she really redeems herself in the last couple chapters of this boo
Michelle Isenhoff
This has been my favorite Henry Huggins book yet. Of course, Henry overlaps with the Ramona series. She’s his pesky little neighbor. And in this book, the two of them certainly clash!

Henry obtained a paper route in the last book. In this installment, his after-school job is funding his building project – a clubhouse that he and his two best friends are building in his backyard. Male friends, because of the “no girls allowed” rule. Yet, Henry feels badly for Beezus, who isn’t so bad as girls go,
Mellodi Parks
Mar 16, 2016 Mellodi Parks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story! I can see why so many look up to Clery's writing abilities and stories. I loved this book just as much as all the other adventures that Henry's has had through the other books. I cannot believe that I only have one more story to read. I loved them and Cleary as an author now. I am sad that I didn't get to read them as a kid, but happy that I got to read them now, even as an Adult reader, they are still a very enjoyable read. Give these a read, won't you?
Terri
I liked this book. I liked Henry's growth during the story. I admired how he learned to handle Ramona. I have one problem with this book. At the end Henry ends up in the paper for doing a good deed. His big focus after learning this is how his father will react to seeing him in the paper. He talks about how much he needs his father's approval and how happy he is when his father says he is proud of him. This is totally out of left field I feel. In none of the other books or at any point prior to ...more
Amber the Human
I read all of these Henry books on my Kindle, and I must say that it's rather odd reading something that is from the 50s (early 60s at the most) on an electronic device. Again, a fun book to read for historical purposes (the kid is allowed to sit in a bathtub being hauled behind a car to the dump - now considered child endangerment) and to see what Ramona was up to before she received her own series.
Cathy Cramer
My 8-year old read this and then wanted me to read it before returning it to the library. It had its funny moments that we have laughed over, together. We talked about the boys excluding the girls from the clubhouse, whether or not they had that right, and whether it was the right thing to do. Another good question is have we ever failed to do the right thing because of what our friends do? Good discussion-starters, good laughs.
Yumi Learner
Jul 21, 2015 Yumi Learner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My 22nd Book in English This Year

Today I finished my 22nd book in English, called "Henry And The Clubhouse". A couple of years ago, my close American friend bought it to me.

Even though It's a kid book, I enjoyed reading it. I like learning American culture through reading books. I am very curious about a paper delivering job. I want to ask about the job to my American friend.
Sheri Struk
Aug 22, 2015 Sheri Struk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was definitely amusing, especially the parts when Ramona Quimby figures into the story. Henry Higgins continues to have his own adventures, many of which involve his dog, Ribsy. Henry has a paper route which tends to cause him problems of some sort. It seems he is either encountering challenges beginning his paper route on time or making it through his route without experiencing some kind of hardship.
Brenda
Jan 21, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - its been a long time since I read this a child. Another amazing tale of our pal Henry, a little older and dealing with a paper route and the original pest- Ramona Quimby. How Henry grows and develops into a responsible and compassionate young man is revealed in chapters that make the reader laugh out loud in delight.

Megan
Jan 24, 2016 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is about Henry and 2 friends building a clubhouse. They do not want any girls in the clubhouse. Henry did not mind Bezus, but he was not going to say to his friends. Henry has to leave everyday to do his paper route, so he leaves his 2 friend to watch the clubhouse.
Charity
Oct 23, 2013 Charity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Once again, the Henry Huggins books make me nostalgic for a time I never knew.

My 4yo, who's in a "No Girls Allowed" phase, really appreciated the clubhouse rules, and all of us laughed out loud at Henry's solution to Ramona bothering him on his paper route.

I love how Cleary follows her characters on the circuitous route towards doing the right thing. We get to see Henry's initial reaction to a problem, his frustration, his decision to act in a less-than-nice manner, his reluctance to apologize,
Summer Kartchner Olsen
Listened to the audio book with the kids. Very cute. Made me feel what it was like to live 50-60 years ago. My only complaint is the way the narrator did Ramona's voice. It was annoying and nothing like a 5-yr-old girl!
Lucas Rice
It was a good book about friendship with struggles about how to be a friend and how to come out of those struggles. I would recommend this book to anyone who is having struggles with friends.
Elena
Nov 14, 2014 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read by Neil Patrick Harris, very fun car listen. Really brings out how annoying Ramona was from a boy's perspective. Plus Henry is a good character in his own right.
Amy
Aug 30, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for any kid who's struggled with responsibility and standing up for yourself. A light hearted story employing favorites Ramona and Beezus, this one's an easy read.
Thomas Bell
May 17, 2014 Thomas Bell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. Better, I thought, than the first book in the series, 'Henry Huggins.' I think Cleary's creativity improved much over her career. Liked and will recommend this book. :)
Susann
Feb 06, 2011 Susann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
After suffering through a 558-page novel about depressed philosophers, this seemed the perfect antidote. Henry has plenty of his own philosophical quandaries. Should he tell Mrs. Peabody his correct name? Should he pull Ramona home on the sled? Should he side with his girl-phobic friends or stay true to sensible Beezus? Which is more important: a ride in a bathtub or his paper route?

Henry struggles through it all, but eventually finds the best and - with the Sheriff Bud letter - most inventive
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2)
  • Back to School with Betsy
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #5)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
  • Angus and Sadie (Davis Farm, #1)
  • Soup & Me
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • Mercy Watson Goes for a Ride (Mercy Watson #2)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary...

Henry Huggins (6 books)
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • Henry and Beezus (Henry, #2)
  • Henry and Ribsy (Henry, #3)
  • Henry and the Paper Route (Henry, #4)
  • Ribsy (Henry, #6)