Start by marking “Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood” as Want to Read:
Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood

Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Dear Mom and Dad, I'll Stay!

For thirteen-year-old Melanie Kessler, going to overnight camp was no way to spend a summer vacation. Right from the start, Melanie knew there was going to be trouble. Getting stuck with the six-year-old Tadpoles in the beginners' swim class was downright embarrassing. So was her horse's decision to take a trot in the lake--with Melanie aboard!
Published 1978 by Little Brown & Company

To ask other readers questions about Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hail, Hail, Camp Timberwood

Aimee
I've come to the conclusion that children's/young adults' books written between, roughly, the mid-seventies to late eighties are more enjoyable than the newer ones. They're less desperately edgy, the characters are more likable, and the plots more believable.
Melanie Kessler is a somewhat sheltered only child who lives in New York City with her parents, and she is upset when her aunt urges her parents to send her to camp for the summer. Aunt Katherine thinks Melanie needs time away from home and
Snarky's
This is the poor man's "There's a Bat in Bunk Five".
Darlene
I read this book in the seventh grade and loved it. That is why I'm giving it the four stars. If I read it for the first time today I would probably give it three. I loved camp growing up and this book inspired me to write my own "camp book" which I never finished. Now that I am an adult, and a parent, I find that one part bothers me. The main character's parents went to a Rated X movie, and mom wrote her to tell her how it embarrassed her. I have no memory of reading that part in seventh grade. ...more
Mell
Read this in junior high. Loved finding a book where the main character shared what felt like my unpopular first name.
Kristen
I didn't realize how much of this book I had remembered. Reading was like visiting an old friend and I enjoyed it.
April
Apr 27, 2008 April rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: pre-teen girls
Shelves: 2008, young-adult
I loved this book when I was younger; I know I first read it when I was in middle school, because I remember getting it from the library.

As with many books read in my youth, this one is not as good now that I've become a mean old lady. I've lost patience with adolescent angst. Instead of siding with the heroine, I find her whiny, clingy, and self-righteous.

What I did like: out-of-date references to phonographs, movie projectors (as opposed to dvds), and transistor radios.
Chris
Jul 15, 2008 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young kids or preteens
Recommended to Chris by: Mother's library
I remember reading this book, snacking on stolen, raw, spagetti sticks up in my loft. Reading it outloud until my throat was sore, I tried to share reading with my stuffted animals. This book was fun, a great read to share with your younger children and a quick and easy no thought read for those who do read frequently. I think everyone should read this book, if not just in reading to your youngsters.
Kricket
this popped up when i was reviewing "the pistachio prescription" and reminded me that i should read this again, too. another big favorite growing up.

this one didn't age as well as some of my other childhood favorites. the 4th star is purely for nostalgia.
Erin
Spotting all these books that I loved so much when I was a kid is a treat. I feel all goofy-happy right now.

The triumvirate of Cleary/Blume/Conford ... they were my staples when I was growing up.
Caitlinleah
I totally forgot about this book. it was one of my favorites when i was a teenager. it was always one where i wondered what happpened to everyone after the summer.
babyhippoface
I remember this being one of my favorites when I was growing up.
I have a feeling it would drive me crazy now.
Jimmy
innocent '70s fun. looking forward to reading more ellen conford.
CLM
Melanie goes to summer camp and falls in love.
Nancy
I loved this book in junior high...
Jennifer Bundy
Jennifer Bundy marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Sandra Gabriel
Sandra Gabriel marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
H
H marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Noelle Leader
Noelle Leader marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Chynna Townes
Chynna Townes marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Jaseena AL
Jaseena AL marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Pam Luteran-Isbell
Pam Luteran-Isbell marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Ananya
Ananya marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
  • There's a Bat in Bunk Five (Marcy Lewis, #2)
  • Laura's Luck
  • The Last Catholic in America
  • Waiting Games
  • The Mysterious Disappearance of Leon (I Mean Noel)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Vanishing Victim (Trixie Belden, #33)
  • The Secret Language
  • Conrad: The Factory-Made Boy
  • The Luckiest Girl (First Love, #2)
  • You Be the Jury
  • Maggie Now
  • Roommates (The Girls of Canby Hall, #1)
  • Mom, the Wolf Man, and Me
A Royal Pain Dear Lovey Hart, I Am Desperate Seven Days to a Brand New Me To All My Fans, with Love, from Sylvie And This Is Laura