Start by marking “The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)

The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy #1.5)

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  1,062 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
A Lynburn Legacy present for you, my petal darlings.

Set the night after the end of Unspoken, before all the action of Untold. You have to keep moving in a Gothic mystery. But sometimes you can take a night to be sad.

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiGlitches by Marissa MeyerHana by Lauren OliverSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
160th out of 620 books — 1,159 voters
Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. StorkAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Uncommon Reader by Alan BennettThe Alienist by Caleb Carr
In Silhouette
223rd out of 359 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Ferdy
Meh. A shorter and less entertaining version of Ash, Jared, Kami and co's usual teen angst, melodrama and self-pity.
Sandra
Aug 06, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
Heartbreaking.

Of all the beautiful things authors do, one of my favourite is when they're not shy to explore their character's personalities; granting them complexity and depth in order to help you understand them.

Characters like Ash are often thrown into a story but rarely explored deeply. Thankfully, Sarah Rees Brennan allowed us to get to know him better and it was truly emotional.

Ash wants to please his father and therefore does questionable things; he's a confused guy but a good one, deep i
Sami
Oct 11, 2013 Sami rated it really liked it
Well, now that I'm well and properly depressed, I suppose it's time to jump right into Untold.
My gosh, and I thought I was sad when I finished Unspoken. Sarah sure does know how to write the lost and lonely ones.

So hop on the sad train for a quick foray into the aftermath of Unspoken. Surely, you didn't think everyone just went to bed that night, right?
Ails
Oct 03, 2013 Ails rated it liked it
It could've been better if it was from Jared's POV. I really really really wanna know what's on his mind after that heartbreaking scene at the end of Unspoken. In this novella, we could only see how Jared had acted that very day from Ash's POV. Still, I'm sending Sarah Rees a big thanks and e-hugs and e-kisses for giving us a glimpse of what happened after the first book. I love iiiit but I just really wanted something from Jared's POV. :P
Saruuh Kelsey
Shh listen! What's that noise? It's close ... really close ... what is it?

Oh yeah, IT'S ME SOBBING.
Teresa
4 Stars

I started reading this series two days ago. And I have already read everything but Untold, the third novel coming out sometime in 2014. 2014... WTF!!!

Okay,okay, uhhhh(deep calming breath).
It is a sad but true fact I have read:
The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)
Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
The Night After I Lost You (The Lynburn Legacy, #1.5)
Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
And now I have to wait until SOM
Dani
Mar 28, 2014 Dani rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-story
Upon discovering the existence of this short story, I was a tad over the moon. Upon discovering that it was from Ash’s POV, I was possibly a little less so.

Ash. Not so much my favorite character upon finishing Unspoken. No, not at all.

But upon reading the short, walking through the fallout of Unspoken’s conclusion in Ash’s shoes, I began to feel… dare I say it? Sympathetic, maybe a smidge understanding, even. But before I get too spoilery as to why, I’ll limit myself to this: The Night After I L
Ceecee
Nov 23, 2013 Ceecee rated it really liked it
I AM SO MAD AT JARED. UGH I WISH HE WOULD STOP ACTIBG SO EMO.

But anyway, this short story is written in Ash's POV and i must say that i feel deeply for him, after i doubted him in Unspoken. Brennan managed to develop ash into a character you could care for, who is not 2 dimensional. We meet him as this gorgeous and charming young man in Unspoken, albeit a suspicious one, but even though my suspicions were confirmed, in this little ebook, we find out that being the "bad guy" isn't all he is.

Brenn
Tanya Nekrasova
Dec 05, 2014 Tanya Nekrasova rated it really liked it
Вроде бы рассказ не о чем, но все-таки прочитала с удовольствием. Всегда интересно так сказать "залезть в голову" каждому персонажу. Мне стало жаль Эша :')

Огромное спасибо девочкам из bookish_addicted, не перестают нас радовать :)
Louisa
Dec 06, 2014 Louisa rated it it was amazing
Oh, so good, yet so sad, enjoyed it so much, and now the wait for the new year to read the rest of the series begins!
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
I thought this would be about Kami, and that the title was referring to Jared. But it was about Ash, and I have no idea who he lost. Everyone?
Cookie
The Lynburn mothers seem to have a knack for not liking their offspring.
Leigh Louise
Sep 10, 2016 Leigh Louise rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this short story!

Okay, so I have literally just finished reading the first book and have come straight to this story (trying to read it all in order). And, before this story, I can honestly say that I actually despised Ash and didn't see any retribution for him because I generally thought he wasn't a good sort - (dude, if you're going to go off and kill animals just for a power hit, and go along with your father, fully knowing that he was demanding human sacrifices, then you have some s
Smartinella
Mar 17, 2015 Smartinella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
She gave him a smile that was too much effort for her to make and too much generosity for him to deserve, and waved to him after all. Ash wanted to keep the smile, press it in a book like a girl might with a flower, to take out and remember how sweet it had once smelled and think of her beloved. He wanted to ask Kami for another chance and promise that he wouldn’t hurt her again. Even if that was an empty promise, in a world where it seemed everyone hurt everybody else.
The girls turned away, wa
Arie ☂
Ash reaaaaally needs a hug.
Ash had always wanted someone who would be kind to him, because kindness felt like approval or something close to it. Someone who would smile when they saw him, be easily pleased by him because he was so tired of people being disappointed. Someone who would be glad he was there.

Nicole
Sep 28, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
I hate (love you) so much Sarah. Great insight into Ash. I wouldn't say Ash is one of my favourite characters, but I do feel very sorry for him. I hate that he thinks of himself as better than the non-sorcerers but then again that's not really his fault, brainwashing by his parents (well Rob) so ~ The main thing that stuck with me after this story was Jared's lines ugh no stop making him hate himself and mock himself and just no stop it
Nikki
Sep 28, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it
Crystal Elizabeth
A short and simple exploration into Ash's head after the events of Unspoken. We meet a vulnerable, lonely boy seeking out something he's never had, and coming up short. Ash is such a lonely character, and this was quiet surprising. His relationship with the characters around him, including his parents, are limited in what they offer him, and I did feel very sorry for him.
Giovanna
Apr 22, 2014 Giovanna rated it liked it
3.5

Damn, now I feel like I have to like Ash. He is like a lost puppy with big, sad eyes and now it's impossible not to pity him. So now Surly is being a jackass in excruciating pain and Blondie is a little bit broken. Well. I don't even know how to feel anymore I can't imagine what little will be left of me after Untold.
kimber
Sep 29, 2013 kimber rated it it was amazing
i loved this so much. a perfect (albeit depressing as hell) stepping stone from the first to the second book, which is currently waiting for me at the library. i just want to hug both ash and jared until the end of time.
Rhodolitejail
Loved it.
Oh Jared.

“Good!” Jared shouted. “I want to be hurt. I
want to be in so much pain that I can’t think and I
can’t remember why. That’s what I want. That’s all
I want.”
Anastasia Ovsyannikova
В этом рассказе мы влезаем в голову Эша. Честно говоря, нового мало, зато самокопаний и жалости к себе много. И да, я так и не поняла, кого именно он потерял...Кэми? Или всех?
Rashika (is tired)
Oct 30, 2013 Rashika (is tired) rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I still love Jared but Ash deserves a huge hug.

And please don't make Lilian a bitch like Rosalind.
Shirley
Sep 26, 2013 Shirley rated it it was amazing
Ash just annoys me so much SIGH I JUST DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR HIM.

okay maybe i feel like a tinge of sympathy but otherwise it's just no.
Julieta
Feb 08, 2015 Julieta rated it it was ok
Shelves: extras
I don't really agree with Sarah Rees Brennan's choice of PoVs for her extra stuff from the Lyburn Legacy.
It wouldn't be THAT hard to write this one from Jared's PoV!!!
LuanaRainbow
Jun 19, 2015 LuanaRainbow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-series
oh T^T

right in the feels ç_ç

may I say it? I love Aunt Lillian so much
Alexa
I love the title so much.
Lots of angst and heartbreak in this one.
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
4 Stars. (originally 3.5 stars but what the heck, Angela saved it)

Geezus, how long ago did I read the first one, Unspoken? March 2013. Wow, I've forgotten quite a bit.

It feels a bit drier than I remember it. Although I think it was trying to set the mood for depressing as I crack open Untold, which I'll be doing some time this month hopefully. Then again, it might be the fact I was lacking sleep and braindead in the middle of the night, trying to convince myself to get some sleep but too awake t
Andy
Jul 19, 2015 Andy rated it it was ok
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • The Tailor (The Grisha, #1.5)
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • The Secret Journal of Beatrice Hassi Barahal
  • Stopping Time (Wicked Lovely, #2.5)
  • Portrait of a Donor (Starters, #1.75)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The First Midnight Spell (Spellcaster #0.5)
  • A Dark Grave (The Elysium Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Among the Thorns
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
Sarah Rees Brennan is Irish and currently lives in Dublin. For a short stint, she lived in New York and became involved with a wide circle of writers who encouraged and supported her, including Holly Black and Cassandra Clare. She has developed a wide audience through her popular blog, mistful.livejournal.com, where she writes movie parodies, book reviews and some stories.
More about Sarah Rees Brennan...

The Lynburn Legacy (3 books)
  • Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
  • Unmade (The Lynburn Legacy, #3)

“I wanted to talk,” he said.
“I don’t want to talk,” said Jared. “And I won’t want to talk. Ever.”
“Can we just—”
“Talk?” Jared asked. “All right, if you insist. Let’s talk about the many definitions of the word no.”
5 likes
“She looked defeated, a castle stormed, torn down, with no one living inside. She looked like a hollowed-out creature, only shell and no soul.” 2 likes