Start by marking “Coma” as Want to Read:
Coma

Coma

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  34,932 ratings  ·  422 reviews
They called it “minor surgery,” but Nancy Greenly, Sean Berman, and a dozen others—all admitted to Boston Memorial Hospital for routine procedures were victims of the same inexplicable, hideous tragedy on the operating table. They never woke up. . . .
Paperback, 25th Anniversary Edition, 400 pages
Published November 5th 2002 by Signet (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Coma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coma

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen KingDracula by Bram StokerPet Sematary by Stephen King
Best Horror Novels
148th out of 1,287 books — 4,025 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Shining by Stephen KingComplete Tales & Poems by Edgar Allan PoeFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyPet Sematary by Stephen King
The Great Horror Novels
130th out of 170 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Brian
* Coma starts out so well and encompasses such a wonderfully sinister plot that it's a shame it had to be written by Robin Cook. I read the author's Shock not too long ago. In the nearly 25 years that had elapsed between the publication of the books, Cook clearly hadn't learned a thing about creating believable characters or plot complications. Why should he, when his books are bestsellers?

* Cook writes like a bad TV show: if you don't approach it passively, you can't possibly enjoy it. That's h
Greg of A2
Okay, who hasn't read this book or seen the movie? It was a phenomenon in its day. And it was a decent suspense, thriller novel. But the only Cook novel I ever read.
Terri Lynn
I first read this in 1977 at age 18 when it first came out and was a Robin Cook fan thereafter. I decided to re-read it this month and compare what my 18 year old self thought with what my 53 year old self thinks.

Third year medical student Susan Wheeler , along with 4 male medical school classmates, are assigned to Boston Memorial Hospital to begin learning first hand about surgery and patient care.

There are some aspects of this book and about women in medicine that I really want to discuss. I
Shailesh Niroula
Well to start with the positives:
Great start to the story. It gives the reader glance into the life of a medical student. Plus the medical details are vivid and as a medical student myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the first 40 pages.
That is when everything goes plummeting down. The story takes a bizzaire twist. And I just couldnot comprehend the fact that a 3rd year medical student on the first day of her rotation will begin a crusade to bring down the almighty Dr. Stark. Also I didn't like the sup
Stephanie
This was the worst author I have ever read. He tries to describe everything and he fails. You know, you read a book and you basically see it in your head like a movie... no this guy didn't succeed at all. He tried, but did not succeed.. poor Robin. I will never read another book by him.
On the contrary, I did like the idea for the book. I am an aspiring doctor so I love ANYTHING within the medical field :)
Nicholas
Okay, after three books I'm calling it. Time of death is 19:47 hours. How on Earth is Cook a best-selling novelist instead of someone printing up stories in his garage to send to family at Christmas?

Coma is a wretched book. Cook couldn't write an interesting, strong, or likable character if you held a gun to his head. The words in the book repeatedly tell us how beautiful and (more importantly) how smart the protagonist, Susan, is. But the actual words that represent what she thinks and says te
Mitch
Who knew that I would enjoy a medical thriller? This genre is new to me. And I recently read a book about a coma in a totally different genre ("Anything But Ordinary" by my lovely neighbour Lara Avery) and when I found this book on my bookshelf my interest of comas and the mind during comas (it's so fricken mysterious) made me pick it up. And BOY OH BOY am I glad I did!

The following may or may not contain spoilers.

Susan Wheeler is a young and beautiful (of course) medical student who discovers t
Julia Madeleine
This book was huge when it first came out. I read it when I was in my teens and loved it. It was probably the first medical thriller I've ever read. I saw the movie when it was released staring Michael Douglas (love those books to movies), and back then it was pretty scary. Probably that was due in large part to my youth. Everything is scarier when you're a kid.

The premise of this book is wicked; going into the hospital for routine surgery and never waking up from the anesthetic. I think that ap
Marc
"Coma" is a medical mystery/thriller by Robin Cook. It was the initial book that earned him the reputation as a successful author. It's a pretty good book. A little weird in places. And the main character has all the common sense of a doorknob.

Susan is a third year medical student in Boston just starting her first day at Memorial hospital. She soon comes into contact with two patients who have inexplicably ended up in comas. For some reason, she immediately becomes obsessed with these comas and
Joyce
Re-reading this today, it's hard to imagine this book could have caused such a stir when it was first published in the 70s and that it could have generated an entire sub genre--the Medical Thriller. I bet it wouldn't even be published today: cardboard characters, a plot almost anyone can see right through and identify the villain (although I don't remember that being so easy when I read it when it was published), the ridiculous amount of medical information--the bad guy falls and it's his 7th ri ...more
Lindsey
May 09, 2012 Lindsey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lindsey by: Andrew Portwine
Bill
I was expecting more from this book. After all, it was a best-seller and launched both a major motion picture and Robin Cook's career. I'm not entirely sure why. Somehow the story manages to stumble along and keep the reader interested, but it has a number of problems. I personally hung with it only because I knew something would (or should) eventually happen.

First is the matter of the heroine, Susan, a third-year medical student whose one strength is that she's convinced that the two coma cases
MaryReadsRomance
Revolutionary for its time. This book and the derivative movie actually changed the culture and direction of an entire Nation of people. As a result, it should be considered a land mark work - regardless of "literary" merit.

Not so science fiction now that violent and nonconsensual organ harvesting is taking place in China on a very real and massive scale. They are the number one importer of organ transplant anti-rejection drugs yet also one of the lowest for voluntary organ donation due to the m
Lydia
Prvý Cookov bestseller. Zápletka zaujímavá, miestami prílišné opisy, k skutočnej "akcii" sa dostal až takmer ku koncu knihy, ale ja som si čítanie užila. Pre mňa oddychovka, plná lekárskych termínov, ktorým nerozumiem a vôbec mi to nevadí. Čítala som už aj iné knihy od autora, takže som vedela do čoho idem. Myslím, že nik, kto má rád lekárske thrillery a prípadne seriály z lekárskeho prostredia, nebude po prečítaní sklamaný.
صفاء أنيس
سئمت هذه القصص أغلب أفلامهم الغربية تكرر وتعيد هذه القصص حتى أصبحت اعرف نهايتها وانا في نصف القصة ثم لماذا لا يموت أبطالهم دائما ينجون اريدهم ان يموتوا اريد ان احزن عليهم هههههههههه
ما يهمني أنني عرفت احد رواياتهم العالمية وعرف ما هي قصة فيلم الغيبوبة
لهذا ساتابع سلسلة روايات عالمية كاملا ان شاء الله
ولا يخلو كتاب من افادة
Kat Orton
When I first started reading this, I though 'god you can tell this is written by a man' I thought there was way too much emphasis on the fact that Susan was a woman, but then the more I read the more I understood that this probably was a very real obstacle for her to overcome and I started to realise it probably was a accurate portrayal of how women working in make dominated industry's were treated in the 70's. As for he story it was fast paced a bit creepy and quite unpleasant, just what it sai ...more
Sanjay
As i am 18 years Old...I have read a few books of indian authors..when i was gazing at the shelves of a book store..i found a row of books by ROBIN COOK...as i am very interested in Thriller type plots...i have bought that book and started reading...as i was not that much connected to foreign authors it seems little difficult for me at the beginning...but as i continue it has taken me to the peak level anxiety...
THe book was well scripted and it was including gruesome situations...the author ha
Kaethe
Robin Cook pretty much owned the medical thriller. Hmm, I wonder who owns the genre now? This was perhaps his best book.
Ruth
I still remember how scary this was. Way more than the movie (not that it's surprising--books are almost always better). This is a creepy, sci-fi style thriller of the best order, and it's been so long since I read it that I may have to do so again sometime soon.
Tammy Frederici
This book still scares me!
Denise
Mar 15, 2008 Denise rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Denise by: Professor during a pharmacology lecture on anaesthetics
As a third year female medical student in her surgery rotation...I'd have to say there was a LOT of suspension of disbelief required to finish the book!

Either that, or things have changed in the thirty years since this book was published...strange how the protagonist, despite supposedly being in an era when women in medicine were so oppressed, manages to cut class on her *first* day AND get away with it. Not to mention the events that follow.

For what it's worth, though, I thought the medicine wa
Vatsa
It really doesn't stand up to it's reputation as a trend setter.
It's supposed to be a Medical Thriller and a kick-starter of that genre,no less, according to the entry in this website.

You'd be wrong if you thing this book gives some kind of insight into the medical world or has a real medical mystery like those on House M.D. If that's what you are looking for, then this book is not for you.

Well, it's "medical" only because most of the thing happen in a hospital and the victims are patients, the
Sacha
I've read 2 novels by Robin Cook. The other one being Chromosome 6. The overall style of them is similar.

The story focuses on a third year medical student who just starts clinical rotations at the Boston Memorial Hospital. On her very first day she takes interest in a patient who fell into a coma after a minor surgery. When shortly after another patient suffers the same fate, she feels a need to determine the cause. At first, much to the dismay of the resident who is responsible for her. He late
Demigodpriya1998
Well...The book started off really great.It seemed quite gripping at first but soon lost it's momentum.Though the book managed to revive some interest in the later parts,the initial euphoria had evaporated.
The plot was great.Too bad it was poorly put.The events seemed unrealistic and out of place.
A third year medical student dives in to investigate the mysterious case of sudden coma deaths,retrieves unauthorized information from the computer,yells at the chief of the department,and manages to ma
Clara
Ay Dios este libro. La verdad es que me encantó, pero me dio mucho miedo también. Se trata de una estudiante de medicina que empieza a hacer sus prácticas en un hospital, y se da cuenta que hay una gran cantidad de gente que entra en coma sin explicación, la mayoría cuando son sometidos a operaciones menores. Y se propone encontrar la causa de esto.

Aprendí muchísimas cosas que no sabía, y me dieron ganas de leer más libros del autor. Los personajes también me gustaron, especialmente la principal
Ajitabh Pandey

The book starts off well and it was looking real good and had me excited as to what is coming up next. However, over the next few pages and then the rest of the book, it was looking like quite a few missing places.

For example, a third year medical student, first day in the surgery and just by looking at a young coma patient she got so disturbed that she started raising questions on the capabilities of the doctors treating her, asking questions
Stephanie Diaz
The books idea really was good. Patients go into a certain room to get minor surgeries yet they end up in a coma and disappear only to be found out that they're body parts are sold on the black market. I truly liked the idea and some people can relate to the story about low-quality hospitals. However , this book was really poorly written. The scientific facts that were present in the book could've been introduced in a more creative way. Along with the fact that the author was an actual doctor do ...more
loudermilk
i totally undercranked the moving picture of ted's coma. in one morning we glued on the score, set it up on an old 65 Rexredux Super-Visor and killed it on an eighth, no short stops except for the rigs in and out. you play it back at 1:1.15 and you have yourself a portrait of the artist as a young ghost envying our average looks, to the crushing finger-drumming of C.V. Alkan, courtesy of Ronald Smith.

something unusual happened on the way out of the hospital. I told jay and ben about a chocolate
Ryan Meloche
Susan Wheeler manages to paradoxically make and break this novel. From the very beginning she is abrasive, overly emotional, over-ambitious, and even a tad conceited. She views herself as a rational individual, an intellectual - yet she responds to every confrontation or negative situation with an instant emotional knee-jerk reaction. In truth, despite my criticisms this served to draw me in more rather than repel me, it seemed like an honest interpretation of what people are really like. It's s ...more
Coma 7 30 Apr 27, 2014 12:32AM
  • وادي العناكب
  • الحريق
  • The Gemini Contenders
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2) Toxin Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)

1 trivia question
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“She thought about how marvelous is would be to have a wife keeping the house in order, the meals on the table. At the same time it seemed ridiculously unfair that she could never have a wife. In fact, if she married, she would be expected to be the wife.” 25 likes