Start by marking “Coma” as Want to Read:
Coma

Coma

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  41,392 Ratings  ·  560 Reviews
They called it “minor surgery,” but Nancy Greenly, Sean Berman, and a dozen others—all admitted to Boston Memorial Hospital for routine procedures were victims of the same inexplicable, hideous tragedy on the operating table. They never woke up. . . .
Paperback, 25th Anniversary Edition, 400 pages
Published November 5th 2002 by Signet (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Coma, please sign up.

Nayra.Hassan
Feb 21, 2016 Nayra.Hassan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical-horror
عندما يكف الأطباء عن العلاج و تخفيف الألم
و يبدأون في القتل و التجارة بالألم
روبين كوك "طبيب اديب "يحول الطب في روايته لكابوس..يحول المستشفى من مكان نحمل إليه آلامنا و جراحنا كي نتخفف منها..لمكان تنتهي فيه الحياة...و تبدأ غيبوبة أسوأ من الموت

في حبكة ذكية و سابقة لعصرها.. .عن تجارة الاعضاء
نلهث وراء سوزان طالبة الطب الفطنة التي تتدرب في مستشفى بوسطن و تلاحظ كثرة حالات الغيبوبة بين شباب اصحاء. .يدخلون على قدميهم و يخرجون على ظهورهم إلى معهد غامض لعلاج الغيبوبة.
لتصطدم هناك بمافيا السوق السوداء للاعضا
Donna
May 26, 2017 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
This is an oldie and as far as I'm concerned, it is also a goodie. I enjoyed this. I think that calling this a medical thriller is definitely appropriate. This book is very very dated with transistor radios, 10 cent pay phones, and a $600 hit job, but it was worth the read. The best part for me was the suspense build up. It was well done because I couldn't wait to turn the next page. I also have to say that it was all quite satisfying regarding the "bad" guys. And I loved the attitude of the fem ...more
Brian
Oct 28, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
* Coma starts out so well and encompasses such a wonderfully sinister plot that it's a shame it had to be written by Robin Cook. I read the author's Shock not too long ago. In the nearly 25 years that had elapsed between the publication of the books, Cook clearly hadn't learned a thing about creating believable characters or plot complications. Why should he, when his books are bestsellers?

* Cook writes like a bad TV show: if you don't approach it passively, you can't possibly enjoy it. That's h
Terri Lynn
I first read this in 1977 at age 18 when it first came out and was a Robin Cook fan thereafter. I decided to re-read it this month and compare what my 18 year old self thought with what my 53 year old self thinks.

Third year medical student Susan Wheeler , along with 4 male medical school classmates, are assigned to Boston Memorial Hospital to begin learning first hand about surgery and patient care.

There are some aspects of this book and about women in medicine that I really want to discuss. I
Asghar Abbas
Apr 29, 2016 Asghar Abbas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I am not even hesitant to grant it a well deserved five star rating. What a truly scary book this was, about what humanity does best; subject their own kind to man made horror, and that's the worst kind. A frightening tale Herr Docktor had cooked for us ( tell me you saw what I just did there, hehe anyway ) because not only it's possible but probable that we are capable of this. It's all about the possibilities, isn't it? No, wait. It's all about the endings. Parallels could be drawn that trusti
Gregory
Okay, who hasn't read this book or seen the movie? It was a phenomenon in its day. And it was a decent suspense, thriller novel. But the only Cook novel I ever read.
Marc
Sep 10, 2008 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Coma" is a medical mystery/thriller by Robin Cook. It was the initial book that earned him the reputation as a successful author. It's a pretty good book. A little weird in places. And the main character has all the common sense of a doorknob.

Susan is a third year medical student in Boston just starting her first day at Memorial hospital. She soon comes into contact with two patients who have inexplicably ended up in comas. For some reason, she immediately becomes obsessed with these comas and
Mitch
Nov 01, 2012 Mitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who knew that I would enjoy a medical thriller? This genre is new to me. And I recently read a book about a coma in a totally different genre ("Anything But Ordinary" by my lovely neighbour Lara Avery) and when I found this book on my bookshelf my interest of comas and the mind during comas (it's so fricken mysterious) made me pick it up. And BOY OH BOY am I glad I did!

The following may or may not contain spoilers.

Susan Wheeler is a young and beautiful (of course) medical student who discovers t
♛ Garima ♛

My father is huge fan of Mr. Cook, I'm still bit skeptical trying - what if I don't like it? ?
Shailesh Niroula
Well to start with the positives:
Great start to the story. It gives the reader glance into the life of a medical student. Plus the medical details are vivid and as a medical student myself, I thoroughly enjoyed the first 40 pages.
That is when everything goes plummeting down. The story takes a bizzaire twist. And I just couldnot comprehend the fact that a 3rd year medical student on the first day of her rotation will begin a crusade to bring down the almighty Dr. Stark. Also I didn't like the sup
Stephanie
Oct 17, 2008 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the worst author I have ever read. He tries to describe everything and he fails. You know, you read a book and you basically see it in your head like a movie... no this guy didn't succeed at all. He tried, but did not succeed.. poor Robin. I will never read another book by him.
On the contrary, I did like the idea for the book. I am an aspiring doctor so I love ANYTHING within the medical field :)
Corey
Dec 10, 2013 Corey rated it did not like it
I was in the mood for a fast-paced thriller and this isn't it. The writing is dreadful and I quit after 100 pages.
Julia Madeleine
Mar 16, 2011 Julia Madeleine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was huge when it first came out. I read it when I was in my teens and loved it. It was probably the first medical thriller I've ever read. I saw the movie when it was released staring Michael Douglas (love those books to movies), and back then it was pretty scary. Probably that was due in large part to my youth. Everything is scarier when you're a kid.

The premise of this book is wicked; going into the hospital for routine surgery and never waking up from the anesthetic. I think that ap
Joyce
Re-reading this today, it's hard to imagine this book could have caused such a stir when it was first published in the 70s and that it could have generated an entire sub genre--the Medical Thriller. I bet it wouldn't even be published today: cardboard characters, a plot almost anyone can see right through and identify the villain (although I don't remember that being so easy when I read it when it was published), the ridiculous amount of medical information--the bad guy falls and it's his 7th ri ...more
Bill
Jan 23, 2010 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I was expecting more from this book. After all, it was a best-seller and launched both a major motion picture and Robin Cook's career. I'm not entirely sure why. Somehow the story manages to stumble along and keep the reader interested, but it has a number of problems. I personally hung with it only because I knew something would (or should) eventually happen.

First is the matter of the heroine, Susan, a third-year medical student whose one strength is that she's convinced that the two coma cases
Nicholas
Jan 30, 2015 Nicholas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, after three books I'm calling it. Time of death is 19:47 hours. How on Earth is Cook a best-selling novelist instead of someone printing up stories in his garage to send to family at Christmas?

Coma is a wretched book. Cook couldn't write an interesting, strong, or likable character if you held a gun to his head. The words in the book repeatedly tell us how beautiful and (more importantly) how smart the protagonist, Susan, is. But the actual words that represent what she thinks and says te
loudermilk
Aug 21, 2015 loudermilk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i totally undercranked the moving picture of ted's coma. in one morning we glued on the score, set it up on an old 65 Rexredux Super-Visor and killed it on an eighth, no short stops except for the rigs in and out. you play it back at 1:1.15 and you have yourself a portrait of the artist as a young ghost envying our average looks, to the crushing finger-drumming of C.V. Alkan, courtesy of Ronald Smith.

something unusual happened on the way out of the hospital. I told jay and ben about a chocolate
Jenny (Jenny's Book Bag) Baker
This wasn't as good as Mortal Fear, but still enjoyable. The first 12 pages hook you, but then the book slows down until about midway. Half way through, the book picks up speed and hooks you again. After reading two Robin Cook novels in a row, his books sounded formulaic, so I don't recommend reading his novels back to back if you're easily annoyed by formulaic writing. I still love his novels and plan to read more, but now I need something else. If you're in a reading rut, a medical thriller is ...more
Stacy
May 12, 2016 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good. Couldn't put it down.
Silja Jóhannesdóttir
Spennandi bók um læknanema sem áttar sig á mynstri sem leiðir hana að mikilli fléttu sem byggist á hagnaðardrifinni starfsemi á kostnað saklausra. Bókin heldur ágætum dampi en byrjar hægt. Gaman að lesa eitthvað sem er skrifað fyrir tíma almennrar tölvunotkunar og hvernig það hefur áhrif á framvindu málsins því í dag er ólíklegt að þetta tækist. En hver veit?
Henri Moreaux
Coma is a medical thriller/suspense novel by Robin Cook.

It's of his usual standard of writing and the main protagonist is a female medical student who meets a patient who later becomes comatose, brain dead, during a routine surgical operation.

Good building of suspense and mystery although I did find the ending a little abrupt.
Rawabi
Apr 24, 2017 Rawabi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
علينا أن نكون موضوعيين حين يتعلق الأمر بالعلم ، و جميعًا نعلم أن التقدم العلمي و الطبي خصوصًا استوجب تضحيات و مخالفات عدة !

و لكن في الغيبوبة ! و في أن تكون طرفًا ذا شأن مُربك و كفيل بزحزحة القناعات لتعود آدميًا أخلاقيًا
Md.  Nymoom
As a medical thriller, it's supposed to be on the top list. loved the ready wit of Susan Wheller.
Ryan Meloche
Dec 12, 2014 Ryan Meloche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Wheeler manages to paradoxically make and break this novel. From the very beginning she is abrasive, overly emotional, over-ambitious, and even a tad conceited. She views herself as a rational individual, an intellectual - yet she responds to every confrontation or negative situation with an instant emotional knee-jerk reaction. In truth, despite my criticisms this served to draw me in more rather than repel me, it seemed like an honest interpretation of what people are really like. It's s ...more
MaryReadsRomance
Revolutionary for its time. This book and the derivative movie actually changed the culture and direction of an entire Nation of people. As a result, it should be considered a land mark work - regardless of "literary" merit.

Not so science fiction now that violent and nonconsensual organ harvesting is taking place in China on a very real and massive scale. They are the number one importer of organ transplant anti-rejection drugs yet also one of the lowest for voluntary organ donation due to the m
Rachit Goel
Feb 12, 2017 Rachit Goel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simply brilliant.

I have never seen such gripping and fearful story with such simple obscure-ness at the end that I go almost ga-ga over it (Maybe Dan Brown excluded). I first saw a book by the same author at my uncle's place and Robin's books were quite a legend in India back then. When I finally laid my hands on one of his books through a friend, I was totally blown away by the little book. Unfortunately, I am yet to read other titles from the author but I am only reserving 5 stars from some o
Fuad Fidah
মেডিকযাল থরিলার শবদটার সাথে আগে কখন ও পরিচয় ছিল না। হাসপাতাল সমপরকিত কিছু উপনযাস পরেছি বটে কিনতু সেগুলোকে মেডিকযাল থরিলার বলা টা ঠিক হবে না। তাই যখন এই বই টার নাম শুনলাম তখন থেকেই বই টা পড়ার খুব ইচছা ছিল। পরায় পরতিবারই নীলকষেত গিয়ে একবার করে খুঁজতাম। পাইনি কোনদিনই। অনেক অপেকষার পর হাতে পাইছি বলেই হয়ত একসপেকটেশন বেশী ছিল। তাই হয়ত আমি হতাশ।
এমন না যে বইটার পলট বা কযারেকটার বিলড আপ খারাপ। আসলে আমি ভাবছিলাম কিছু এযাকশন থাকবে। অলপ কিছু আছে। ভাবছিলাম মেডিকযাল এর টারম কম ইউজ হবে যাতে বই টাতে একটু লে-মযা
Lindsey
Aug 13, 2011 Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lindsey by: Andrew Portwine
M Strawberry Reviews
I have only read one Robin Cook book before this, Vital Signs. I was not impressed by that book, however I got this as a hand me down and thought that I would give this author another chance.

I will say that this is better. The main flaw I notice in both books is that he tends to not always think certain plot points, so they're left hanging at the end of the book, but this book was definitely a tighter read. Mr. Cook knows his medicine, as he is himself a doctor.

The basic plot boils down to this
Kat Orton
Aug 04, 2013 Kat Orton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this, I though 'god you can tell this is written by a man' I thought there was way too much emphasis on the fact that Susan was a woman, but then the more I read the more I understood that this probably was a very real obstacle for her to overcome and I started to realise it probably was a accurate portrayal of how women working in make dominated industry's were treated in the 70's. As for he story it was fast paced a bit creepy and quite unpleasant, just what it sai ...more
Coma 7 34 Apr 27, 2014 12:32AM
  • الحريق
  • Six Days of the Condor
  • The Boys from Brazil
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri
More about Robin Cook...

1 trivia question
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“She thought about how marvelous is would be to have a wife keeping the house in order, the meals on the table. At the same time it seemed ridiculously unfair that she could never have a wife. In fact, if she married, she would be expected to be the wife.” 27 likes