Start by marking “The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution, #4)

The Sky Road (The Fall Revolution #4)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,013 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Centuries after the catastrophic Deliverance, humanity is again reaching into space. And Clovis, a young scholar working in the spaceship-construction yard, could make the difference between success and failure. For his mysterious new lover, Merrial, has seduced him into the idea of extrapolating the ship's future from the dark archives of the past.

A past in which, centuri
Published August 13th 2001 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Sky Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sky Road

Hyperion by Dan SimmonsDune by Frank HerbertEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardFoundation by Isaac AsimovCassastar by Alex J. Cavanaugh
Best Space Opera
195th out of 416 books — 905 voters
Consider Phlebas by Iain M. BanksUse of Weapons by Iain M. BanksThe Player of Games by Iain M. BanksExcession by Iain M. BanksMatter by Iain M. Banks
Eclipse Phase Recommended Reading
65th out of 101 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Samuel Tyler
Jul 06, 2015 Samuel Tyler rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The future can be a lot of things, but an odd Scottish fantasy/communism mashup? Not for me. ‘The Sky Road’ is book four of a popular series by Ken Macleod, but I for one just did not get pulled in. The world itself is very intriguing and different from most science fiction futures out there, but it is painted rather opaquely. You are given hints, rather than full explanations, as to what the relationships are between Scotland and the rest of the world. For those that read books one through to t ...more
Christopher Jones
Aug 16, 2015 Christopher Jones rated it it was ok
Jesus...it's hard for me to review this book, but I'll try my best.

When you look at the cover, its tempting to think that the story will be about "men reaching into the skies" for the first time, like what the blurb seems to imply.

This is a science fiction book where the science fiction takes a back seat to the politics, and dear God is there a lot. I can't say I care much for it.

There's whole chapters of people blabbing about politics: Myra trying to cut a deal with one organization or country
Tom Nixon
May 21, 2012 Tom Nixon rated it it was amazing
The Sky Road is one of my favorite books. It may not scrape the top of my all-time list, if assembling such a list would be possible but it ranks right up there. First of all, it's Ken Macleod. Talk about a great writer- I just posted a review of The Cassini Division that pretty much detailed some of the many reasons why he's awesome. I'm not going to bother repeating myself again here. (Just to say again: for serious sci-fi fans, this guy is a MUST read at some point... for people who just like ...more
Lis Carey
Feb 21, 2011 Lis Carey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf
This is the second MacLeod book that I've read; the first was The Cassini Division. I picked up Cassini in hardcover almost immediately because so many people were raving about it, and it left me completely cold. A perfectly adequate book, as to plot, world-building, writing, etc., but absolutely nothing about it engaged me sufficiently to really overcome the fact that the protagonist is the villain of the piece, and she's not all that interesting a villain. I preferred to see her be defeated, b ...more
Laura Rainbow Dragon
Clovis colha Gree is a historian. A scholar spending the summer term as a labourer in the space ship yard because he didn't quite manage to secure sponsorship for his continuing studies at the University. The staff of the ship yard work hard during the day and play just as hard at night, and it is in the town square, looking for a dance and a drink and perhaps a warm embrace for the night that Clovis first encounters the mysterious Merrial.

Merrial is a rare beauty, but more surprising than her l
Justin Clack
He did his cause a disservice by annoying serious readers. Since when is a novel a great place to blatantly outline any philosophy, or general view. Better to have written compelling characters wrapped up in an enthralling plot, and have us deduce what he felt is the sounder system. The brilliant bits of space opera are forever marred by the yokel politics.
Chris Martin
Dec 09, 2012 Chris Martin rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I was in a continual state of confusion while reading The Sky Road, unsure of how it connected to the previous books. Events didn't quite match up. Afterwards I discovered from online reviews that it was an "alternate future" to events that happened after The Star Fraction. I thought this was pretty clever after realizing this. Part of me wishes I was warned of it so I could have relaxed and read it as it's own story, without thinking I was developing Alzheimer's.

I liked Myra's back story, about
David
Aug 24, 2013 David rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is one of those books that has both a "back story" and "current story" parts - but presents them as alternating chapters. I don't care for that style.

The back story takes place in the mid-21st century as modern capitalism and its associated economics and politics are convulsing. As things develops, it becomes necessary to make choices on which of the bad choices is least bad.

Several centuries later, we see people living a comparatively simpler life, with society divided between regular work
Priya
Sep 06, 2008 Priya rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SciFi fans, those who are still hanging on to notions of socialism being a good thing
MacLeod also has a way with words, similar to but possibly not as witty as, his Scots counterpart Banks. MacLeod's world is also more dystopian, more dour, and more overtly political. If we were talking of cities, Banks's world would possibly be London or Edinburgh, while MacLeod would be Manchester or Glasgow.
Oh, I should mention that this is part of a series and, unless you've read the earlier books, you are likely to be confused about where all this is coming from/heading. This particular on
Dag Hovland
Jul 30, 2016 Dag Hovland rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebøker
Denne må altså leses helst etter hele fall revolution trilogien. Den beskriver en alternativ slutt på historien, basert på at et av valgene i den første boka gjøres annerledes.
Isis
Jun 24, 2008 Isis rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
As with MacLeod's The Execution Channel I often felt as though I was just missing the greater significance of things, but I think this is a slightly more accessible book. I love creative possible future histories, and now that communism and socialism have more or less faded into political non-currency, this particular view was refreshing. The clever juxtaposition of Luddism and technology brought a great touch of humor.

It took me a while to get used to the format of alternating first-person and
Rena
Apr 18, 2012 Rena rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, series
Whoops. It turns out this is the last book in a series and I read it first. I enjoyed it, but I think I will not read the first books, since I already know how the story ends. Not a bad book though I would most likely recommend reading them in order so the maybe the beginning will not seem as confusing as it did for me. You can still understand everything going on without reading the first ones, but it is probably better to read them in order.
Aaron Anderson
Sep 09, 2012 Aaron Anderson rated it liked it
My least favorite of any of them. The Myra back history was pretty interesting, since you know her slightly from before, and some of the details... The future society just seemed weird. I also didn't really see how this could be a sequel to The Stone Canal. Who supposedly met Jay-Dub and Meg when they came out in this version of the future? It just doesn't connect very much with the earlier works. The future half of the book, that is.
Peter Dunn
Dec 26, 2013 Peter Dunn rated it really liked it
I read this some months ago but I am just getting around to adding it. This is by far the best of this series. The political and ideological themes are more subtle than the first three, and are far better for it, and the characters are much richer and more believable. I thought was going to be annoyed at it being an alternative future to that presented in the first three books in the series but actually it worked rather well.
Tani
Aug 11, 2014 Tani rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, male-author, 2014
Definitively not my cup of tea. But you can't say I didn't try!
Joe
Mar 13, 2008 Joe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Any and all of the Fall Revolution books are hard to read. That's not to say they aren't awesomely great books, because without fail they are. What I mean is that you will be challenged by Macleod politically. His story structure is very hard to accept at first but in the end is very rewarding.
Luke
Dec 08, 2007 Luke rated it liked it
My least favorite of the Fall Revolution books, but still very worth reading. I view it as an alternate conclusion to the series (the other one being The Cassini Division.)
Mike
May 28, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
A solid ending to the series (4th book in a series of four). MacLeod mixes SF with "future politics" in a way that remains interesting.
Lorin Rivers
The Sky Road (Fall Revolution) by Ken MacLeod (2001)
Craig Bolton
The Sky Road (Fall Revolution) by Ken MacLeod (2001)
bluetyson
isbn,original
Pete Guthert
Pete Guthert marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Becca
Becca rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Nick White
Nick White marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Gillian Anderson
Gillian Anderson rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Daniel
Daniel added it
Sep 07, 2016
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. scifi novel set in scotland [s] 9 41 Jul 08, 2015 06:56PM
  • The Ragged Astronauts (Land and Overland Series, #1)
  • Felaheen
  • Take Back Plenty (Tabitha Jute, #1)
  • Brittle Innings
  • The Jonah Kit
  • The Extremes
  • Jack Faust
  • Holy Fire
  • Eternal Light (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #3)
  • Courtship Rite
  • City on Fire (Metropolitan, #2)
  • The Miocene Arrow (Greatwinter Trilogy #2)
  • Brasyl
  • Helliconia Winter (Helliconia, #3)
  • Queen City Jazz (Nanotech, #1)
  • Pacific Edge (Three Californias Triptych, #3)
  • The Jagged Orbit
  • Frameshift
Ken MacLeod is an award-winning Scottish science fiction writer.

His novels have won the Prometheus Award and the BSFA award, and been nominated for the Hugo and Nebula Awards. He lives near Edinburgh, Scotland.

MacLeod graduated from Glasgow University with a degree in zoology and has worked as a computer programmer and written a masters thesis on biomechanics.

His novels often explore socialist, c
More about Ken MacLeod...

The Fall Revolution (5 books)
  • The Star Fraction (The Fall Revolution, #1)
  • The Stone Canal (The Fall Revolution, #2)
  • The Cassini Division (The Fall Revolution, #3)
  • The Fall Revolution

“Whatever the truth about the Deliverer, she will remain in my mind as she was shown on that statue, and all the other statues and murals, songs and stories: riding, at the head of her own swift cavalry, with a growing migration behind her and a decadent, vulnerable, defenceless and rich continent ahead; and, floating bravely above her head and above her army, the black flag on which nothing is written.” 1 likes