Start by marking “Tilting at Mountains: Love, Tragedy, and Triumph on the World's Highest Peaks” as Want to Read:
Tilting at Mountains: Love, Tragedy, and Triumph on the World's Highest Peaks

Tilting at Mountains: Love, Tragedy, and Triumph on the World's Highest Peaks

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  37 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
On May 17, 2010, a 37-year-old Spaniard named Edurne Pasaban became the first woman to climb all fourteen peaks higher than 8,000 meters. This record-breaking accomplishment put the Basque woman on National Geographic's 2010 "Adventurers of the Year" list. The next year, both The Alpinist and Outside magazines placed her on their "Adventurers of the Year" lists, too.
Published June 1st 2014 by Mountaineers Books (first published March 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Tilting at Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tilting at Mountains

Olga Milemis
Oct 29, 2015 Olga Milemis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En „Catorce veces ocho mil“(2011) Edurne Pasaban describe no solamente las expediciones que la llevaron a conquistar los 14 picos más altos del planeta sino que también relata sus comienzos como alpinista y pasa, además, revista a varios aspectos de su vida personal.

El primer encuentro de Edurne con el Himalaya fue en el año 1998 cuando intentó hacer la cumbre del Dhaulagiri, cosa que no logró entonces sino recién en 2008 pero que significó el punto de inflexión en su carrera como montañista en
Mathew Whitney
Apr 24, 2015 Mathew Whitney rated it really liked it
Tilting at Mountains: Love, Tragedy, and Triumph on the World's Highest Peaks is the autobiographical account of Edurne Pasabán's attempts, and eventual success, at climbing to the summit of the world's 14 peaks over 8,000 meters. I received this book through Goodreads' First reads program.

The narrative tends to work back on itself every so often to recount where various people were met and try to pin down less specific events, such as when an actual decision was made to climb all 14 peaks. Howe
Lara
Not a perfect book (there are a few things I'll chalk up to slight translation errors), but I really enjoyed this honest and inspirational look at Edurne Pasabán's journey to becoming a mountaineer, as well as to successfully summiting all fourteen of the world's 8000+ meter peaks (or 26,247+ foot peaks, for us Americans). She is the first woman to have done so. Pasabán is very open about the struggles she's faced with depression and with not being able to take herself and her accomplishments se ...more
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison rated it really liked it
This is the story of Edurne Pasaban, of Spain, a mountaineer and first woman to have climbed all fourteen mountain peaks over 8,000 meters, giving her recognition in major magazines. As she became more recognized in the climbing world, she was sponsored on and off by a Spanish network called (Al Filo, de lo imposible) meaning at the edge of the impossible. A Spanish TV station, that record high quality photographic high risk adventures.
Edurne, went through a time of extreme depression, and had t
Mihai Giurgiulescu
Jul 20, 2015 Mihai Giurgiulescu rated it really liked it
Edurne Pasaban's recollection of her quest to climb all 14 8000ers is a fast and engaging read that appeals to all in touch with the sport of mountaineering. As she makes it clear repeatedly, she didn't set out explicitly to become the first woman to achieve this landmark, and she only got engrossed in the challenge once other strong climbers made it a competition. In the end, she added her name to the record books, but more important than the official recognition were the personal satisfaction ...more
James
Aug 11, 2014 James rated it liked it
Edurne Pasaban is credited with being the first woman to summit the world's fourteen 8000 meter mountains. While the main focus of the book centers around this accomplishment, it also touches on growing up in the Basque region of Spain, her family relationships, as well as her battle to come to grips with who she is and what she wants to do with her life. The book covers the time from a shy teen who loved climbing through the final summit she makes to claim the title as the first woman to climb ...more
Gerry FitzGerald
Aug 11, 2015 Gerry FitzGerald rated it really liked it
I have read several dozen mountaineering books (a wonderful world to enter if you are looking for a reading hobby), and closely followed the last couple of years of Edurne Pasaban's quest to be the first woman climber to summit all 14 of the world's 8,000 meter mountains.

I was pleasantly surprised at how interesting, informative and candid Ms Pasaban was in both her memoir and at a thoroughly enjoyable talk and video show she presented at Hampshire College this past spring. One would expect a mo
David Duncan
May 19, 2015 David Duncan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Tilting At Mountains, by Edurne Pasaban, is my ninety-first book that I have received and read from Goodreads. This book was was the first book that I have read on mountain climbing. What a really good story it's about a young woman, the author of this book, Edurne Pasaban, became the first woman to successfully climb the world's fourteen 8000 meter peaks.
Ensure Pasaban tiki?u7 us about every climb she made, all the love, tragedy,, and triumph on top worlds highest peaks. It's a story about maki
Aug 07, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
I won my copy through First Reads!

I will say, this book needs a new cover. May I suggest a picture of the author on the top of a mountain? As it is, it's a bit cheesy and doesn't really accurately reflect the contents.

This book is a mixed bag. On one hand, the author is brave and has certainly led an exciting life. On the other hand, the writing felt a bit disjointed and bland (though I'm blaming that on the translation). I just felt like there was a little too much name-dropping and not quite e
Steve
Aug 05, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I received this book from Goodreads' First Reads program.

The author was the first woman to successfully summit all 14 8,000 KM peaks. She describes her journey from a young girl in Spain doing her first European climbs. During one of those first climbs, she discovers the guide is a cousin of hers, and he later becomes a key member of her team. She spends a lot of time detailing her personal life, falling in love with another (married) climber, and working in the family business. She
Amy
Aug 06, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I recieved this book through first reads and I wasn't quite sure how good the book would be. It was a very detailed book on the life of Edurne Pasaban. My favorite thing is reading about her strength and determination. It's always wonderful to read about strong women. While some parts of the book got lost in translation it was a good read. It shows her struggles and her strengths. I can't imagine what it would be like to climb mountains like she did. Some of the decisions she had to make along ...more
Kate
Aug 01, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of Tilting at Moutains from Goodreads, and I absolutely loved this book! Tilting at Mountains an addictive read! Pasaban's memoir was an inspiring account of her triumph in being the first woman in the world to climb 14 peaks over 8,000 meters. Besides her success, she endures numerous adversities on the way to reach her record breaking feat. Pasaban's memoir is a testament to the power of perseverance, courage,hardwork, and conquering your greatest fears!
Phylwil
Jan 10, 2016 Phylwil rated it liked it
The story here, of a life and career as a mountain-climber, is a thrilling one, especially since it is punctuated by what appears to be a nervous breakdown. The problem is that the story is told in a dry, almost journalistic , fashion. Despite that, I enjoyed following the author in her quest to climb the world's tallest peaks (fourteen of them) and getting her view of the private society of elite climbers.

I received the book as a goodreads giveaway.
Rochelle
Aug 15, 2014 Rochelle rated it liked it
This was such an inspirational book! I can't imagine climbing the peaks that this woman did and under such conditions. Her story was well told and honest. My only complaint was that I had some difficulty with the translation, as it was a translation from the author's original language. However, the message still got across and I appreciated that. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in mountain climbing or defeating the odds with perseverance and determination.
Séamas
Este libro gustará a todos los que les gusta la montaña. Pero es muy interesante también aprender como Edurne consiguió superar un desafío muy grande en el ámbito de su vida privada. Me gustó mucho este libro y ha crecido aún más el respecto que tengo en cuanto se refiere a los alpinistas en general y a Edurne Pasabán en particular.
Mel
Jul 24, 2014 Mel rated it really liked it
I won this book for free through a Goodreads First Reader Giveaway.

I really enjoyed this story. As another reviewer said, there was a bit of oddness due to the translation, but the story itself was clear and touching. I enjoyed Pasaban's directness and honesty about her life and choices, even when they may not have seemed very flattering to her.
Dbadiola
Jan 20, 2016 Dbadiola rated it it was ok
I was highly disappointed by this book. We attended a book signing of Tilting at Mountains and feel short changed by the actual text. I hoped to learn of the thrills and hazards of climbing the 14 highest peaks in the world, but read as much about he romances as her climbing. Edurne, you owe your readers more than a mere peak at the sport.
Gina
Jan 10, 2016 Gina rated it it was amazing
I received this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I loved feeling transported to the peaks and summits with Edurne; her style of writing is so vivid that you feel her losses and depressions and triumphs along with her. Thank you for taking me on your journey!
Matías Ledoux
Matías Ledoux rated it it was amazing
Javier Dolcet
Javier Dolcet rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
22_rober
22_rober rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Rafael
Rafael rated it really liked it
Ola
Ola rated it it was amazing
Victor Usan sarria
Victor Usan sarria rated it it was amazing
Ewa
Ewa rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2016
Beatrice Pini
Beatrice Pini rated it really liked it
Sharon Leff
Sharon Leff rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Federico
Federico rated it it was amazing
Heather Moritz
Heather Moritz rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
  • Misdiagnosed: One Woman's Tour of -And Escape From- Healthcareland
  • Conquistadors Of The Useless
  • Unfinished Business: One Man's Extraordinary Year of Trying to Do the Right Things
  • Hope after Faith: An Ex-Pastor's Journey from Belief to Atheism
  • Only in Spain: A Foot-Stomping, Firecracker of a Memoir about Food, Flamenco, and Falling in Love
  • Women in the Material World
  • A Taste of My Own Medicine: When the Doctor Is the Patient
  • Free Spirit: A Climber's Life
  • Freedom Climbers
  • The Committed Life: Principles for Good Living from Our Timeless Past
  • My Nine Lives: A Memoir of Many Careers in Music
  • Rebuilt: How Becoming Part Computer Made Me More Human
  • Perilous Times: Free Speech in Wartime: From the Sedition Act of 1798 to the War on Terrorism
  • The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing
  • Everest 1953: The Epic Story of the First Ascent