Start by marking “Northern Star” as Want to Read:
Northern Star

Northern Star

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Deacon Miller never had it all—he never really believed he could. Growing up in a broken home with an alcoholic mother and a revolving door of truly pathetic father figures taught him to keep his expectations low. Now at twenty-seven, on the night before Christmas Eve, his life is turned upside down yet again; his boyfriend has dumped him, he just fled the holiday family r ...more
ebook, First, 249 pages
Published September 25th 2013 by Wilde City Press

To ask other readers questions about Northern Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northern Star

The Backup Boyfriend by River JaymesFamily Man by Heidi CullinanTurning 16 by Perie WolfordWes and Toren by J.M. ColailTigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy
Must Read Gay Romances
6th out of 100 books — 49 voters
Touch & Geaux by Abigail RouxCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatToo Stupid to Live by Anne TeninoTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2013
363rd out of 616 books — 1,559 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan

I only just started reading Ethan Day (I know, I knooooowwww…where have I been?) but he’s quickly becoming my crack. Being a sap as I am and loving what I call the ‘easy’ read, it’s impossible for me not to like the stuff ED puts out.

'Northern Star' is my happy-to-read-any-day-book. You have a broken MC who just needs to be loved (Deacon). You have the perfect alpha (recently out) who’s solid and wants to take care of everything (Steve). You have some hot sex. Some even hotter romance.
Kade Boehme
Holy shit. Y'all, this book. I'm absolutely taken aback. I bought it then waited a couple days cuz I love Ethan Day. I needed a moment before delving into another of his silly worlds. But I got a surprise. Deacon's snark is fuckin priceless. And holy balls was there typical Day humor here ... But.. Deacon is my spirit animal. This guy is so sad and ruined by the world and life yet he still hangs on. Then comes beautiful, hunky, patient Steve with his big heart and his very ThiCk cock and brings ...more
Anke

It was a difficult reading start for me, with pages and pages full of inner musings and an over-the-top-voice of Deacon. Then I either got used to it or it was toned down as I enjoyed reading on. The story flowed along quite nicely with some predictable ups and downs to then end with a very nice epilogue.
Lady*M
Ethan Day writes two types of books: one is a goofball comedy that will leave you in stitches or gritting your teeth depending on your current mood and these quieter, gentler books like Northern Star. While At Piper's Point remains my favorite Ethan's book, this one just might become the second favorite.

The book is sweet and funny and deals with some serious issues. Deacon is damaged by years of neglect and abuse by his alcoholic mother that not even escape from her clutches helped. His self-wor
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
♡♥5 Stars - KAPOW!♥♡
A "Live Your Life, Buy The Book" Review

I noticed I wasn’t the only one to squee with joy when Ethan Day announced, kind of last minute, that, oh yeah, I have a new book coming out in a few days! I guess it’s nice that he didn’t torture us for a month teasing us with snippets because the waiting the few days was more than enough for me.

A snow storm leaves poor Deacon stuck in his hometown the day before Christmas Eve. He’s just had another fight with his alcoholic abusive moth
Cindi
Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.

Anytime I pick up an Ethan Day book I expect a bit of humor. Northern Star is no different. However, this is also a very serious story about very real issues. Both main characters are dealing with their pasts and must find common ground in order to make a relationship work. I found myself laughing quite a bit but I also found myself in tears more than once.

Another outstanding book by Ethan Day.

This book was provided by Wilde City Press
Heller
3.75

At times the sadness that Deacon felt was overwhelming but I loved the romance between the MC's, it was slow moving but super hot. I really liked that there wasn't a big fix at the end and that Deacon and Steve were working hard to make their relationship succeed.

Sandra
There are apparently two types of Ethan Day books, one the funny, fluffy kind that is an easy read for a summer afternoon, the other a quiet, reflective book that explores human relationships and emotions on a much deeper level...

Full review available on Booklikes and my blog.
Jenn

This is a story of twenty-seven year-old Deacon dealing with a recent break-up and family drama who meets forty-four year-old successful Steve Steele one night at a hotel bar. There is instant attraction that develops into more, but real life stresses may come between the two’s happily-ever-after.

So I guess I’m in the minority again. Let me stress, I am normally a HUGE fan of Ethan Day’s books, and his book As You Are is a constant reread for me. But this book didn’t feel like his norma
Jenni Lea
Thank you Ethan Day for giving me a nice, easy read when I so needed one! Muah! ♥
Sunny
Such an inconsistent read for me. There was a lot going on in this story and my reactions to it all kept changing. I loved it, I hated it, it was okay, then back to I loved it. Over and over. It made me mental.

I loved the parts that made me laugh and I liked some of the angsty parts that made me want to hug Deacon or Steve. I even admit to tearing up a few times, which doesn't happen very often. There were other parts, though, that felt forced, and weren't funny to me or were way too angsty for
Sadonna
4.5 stars. I always love Ethan's books. Whether it's the RomCom he's so brilliant at or the more serious tone that this book strikes, I just love reading his words. I was so surprised to find this book since I had NO idea it was even in the works.

Deacon is so badly damaged, it's a wonder he's actually still upright. Of course the more fucked up and damaged the character, the more I love and root for them. Steve is a guy who was deep in the closet for the first 40+ years of his life. Deacon reco
Isaac

Rating – 4 Stars
Length – 249 pages
Genre – Contemporary
Key Professions – N/A
Common Tropes – Age difference. Coming out.

Northern Star is a quiet book, with a fairly simple plot.
Deacon and Steve meet in a bar in Michigan at a time when they are both drowning in various aspects of their personal lives. Deacon has just come from a traumatic visit with his alcoholic mother, and Steve is drinking
Lily
3.9 stars rounded up. I cannot fault the solid writing, well contoured protagonists, a quite balanced plot and nice dose of sweet romance. However, I could not find the spark usually associated with a book by Ethan Day, regardless of his chosen style. I was a bit disappointed in that respect, yet enjoyed a pleasant reading journey.
Sammy Goode

I am going to begin this review by saying I truly struggled over what to say and how to delineate what it was about this book that both drew me and repelled me all at the same time. I know that many Ethan Day fans view him as more of a humorist with really outstanding comedic timing and characters that cause us to laugh out loud. This is what author Ethan Day is truly known for and excels at, realistic characters that are flawed and vulnerable yet manage to keep themselves aloft and smi
Nic
Northern Star was a wonderful way to spend a couple hours and it was a pleasure to get to know Steve and Deacon.

Their first meeting at a hotel bar sets the tone for the whole book as they enjoy a nice easy and teasing banter. It was so much fun to follow the conversation back and forth....

Deacon faced Steve, propping up his elbow on the bar for support. "Say, you can't be too much of a dick, you at least asked how I'm doing, right?"
"Well, you did mention doing me before. I became infinitely mor
Mandi
What I liked - OMG, pretty much everything. The writing, the characters, the slow relationship buildup, the dealing with past issues...love, love, love.

What I didn't like - I'm used to a more light-hearted Ethan Day. It still has it's funny and really sweet moments, but this was a bit more serious than what I've read from him before (but really, don't let that turn you off from this awesome book)

Last Impression - While not my favorite from this author, still a great read. Recommended!
Shannon
Loved this book. Was waffling between 4 and 5 stars and settled on 4 just because, for me, it was so hard to relate to someone feeling so worthless which made parts of the story seem off. They weren't really off but I personally didn't get it. Ha, that probably didn't make sense. Anyways....this was not as light-hearted as other Ethan Day books but the snarky humor was definitely there. And I ugly cried during parts so that's always a plus in my book. :D
Donna
Northern Star was packed with the most realistic, brilliant people. From the MCs to the ex wife to the employer's bratty youngest daughter every single character Had such character that I wanted to know about all of them. Totally recommend even though it made me cry.
MsMiz (Tina)
3.5 - Northern Star feels like the more serious side of Ethan Day's writing. I will come back with a more detailed review!
Fehu
Charming story with some serious undertones and very lovable characters. Deacon is having a bad day right before Christmas Eve: his boyfriend dumped him, he fought with his mother again and now he is spending Christmas Eve alone in the hotel bar. Meet Steel, Steve Steel, a car salesman who also comes to the bar and takes notice of the sweet sad guy, with big brown eyes. Sparks fly between them; of course something happens to disturb their intimate time. Ashley, Deacon's teenage sister calls him, ...more
Christy Loves 2 Read
It seems like forever since I had a new release of Ethan Day's to devour. I so love his writing and have adored everything I've read so I was fairly confident that 'Northern Star' wouldn't be any different. Besides, who doesn't love a Christmas romance? Or, really hot sex, at least. *grins* Plus, I thought my husband was going to be a one-nighter (after a really long drought) and he's still here so I get the warm fuzzies for those kind of stories.

Deacon has had better days. His boyfriend of a ye
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Deacon, an incredibly sad and emotionally damaged twenty-seven-year-old is a classic example of an adult child of an alcoholic, and my heart breaks for him throughout this story. He’s needy, nerdy, and adorably pitiful. But he’s also sweet, sensitive, caring, self-effacing, selfless, and too broken to see his own assets.

After attempting a holiday visit with his mother and sister in his hometown of Detroit, Deacon storms out two days before Christmas when his homophobic mother accuses him once a
Hank Edwards
Was lucky enough to beta read this book (a plus to living in the Detroit area!). A touch of a darker tone than usual from Ethan, but nothing drastic. It was a great, romantic story and had me swooning, of course. Definitely recommended.
Tamela
From such cliched beginning, a pick up in an airport bar this quickly moved into something much more. Deacon was having a REALLY bad day and an invitation from an attractive man was just what he needed to take his mind off his misery.

Steve was in the right place at the right time and knew the minute he saw Deacon that he wanted to get to know him better.

I'm glad things didn't just roll along smoothly. There was a bump in the road... or two. And it took them a while to get back together.

And even
Debbie Smtih
I just loved the chemistry and connection between Deacon and Steve. Great that one of the MC's is a 44 year old hottie and not another 20something hottie. A chance meeting in an airport hotel bar that led to the main characters getting their long awaited HEA. A journey of discovery more so for Deacon than for Steve but a journey that Deacon had to undertake if he was to be the man he wanted to be. Another example of how our childhood and parents can affect the rest of our lives if we allow ourse ...more
John Sontag
Deacon reminded me so much of Bear in TJ Kune's BOATK. He is a caring, loving and protective man, perhaps overly so. He is fearful of giving his heart, being that he must be ever so protecting of his sister's well being. He has a loathsome mother and no father in his life. Deacon looks for the best in people, all the time fearing and sometimes finding the worst. And he has good reason to be wary of people. Not quite a recluse, he does have a small band of supporters.
On a chance meeting in an air
Brian
“Northern Star” by Ethan Day is an extraordinary story of overcoming challenges and finding true love. He covers serious and grave issues in a sensitive, compassionate, and credible manner.

Deacon Miller has been given far more than his share of life’s tribulations. He is a walking wounded, soberly accepting and expecting whatever challenges come his way. Yet in many ways he’s also the most altruistic person around, especially when it comes to his sister Ashley.

A chance meeting in an airport hote
Richard
URGH!
This pissed me off.
The story was predictable, but witty. It felt like more of an interpretation than a rehash. Sure, it's not that much different than most other Christmas stories, but there was a flowing quality to the prose which hooked me and reeled me in...
...All the way to 80% in.

Gone were all the musings and characterisation. The gentle actions accompanying dialogue faded out into pages and pages of talking. Characters just... Flanderized. (view spoiler)
  • Disasterology 101
  • Raining Men (Chaser, #2)
  • Shaking the Sugar Tree
  • Fear, Hope, and Bread Pudding (Coda Books, #6; Strawberries for Dessert, #2)
  • Bolt-Hole
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • The Coil
  • After the End
  • Unbreak My Heart (Unbreak My Heart, #1)
  • Sex & Sourdough
  • The Little Things
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
  • Charlie, Rentboy (Working Boys, #1)
  • Still
  • The Truth About Riley
  • Trouble & the Wallflower
  • Zombie Boyz
  • Salvage (Salvage Stories, #1)
Welcome to Ethan Day's Goodreads Profile. I write mainly contemporary GLBT Romance Novels, but who knows what the future might bring and what other genres I may dive into.

Hopefully, you’ll find my books to be sexy as well as fun. Sex and romance, should be fun! If it isn’t, then perhaps you’re not doing it right.

I hope you love my characters as much as I do. With any luck they’ll inspire you the
More about Ethan Day...
Sno Ho (Sno Ho, #1) As You Are Life in Fusion (Sno Ho, #2) At Piper's Point Anything for You (A Middleton Romance #1)