Start by marking “The Young Victoria” as Want to Read:
The Young Victoria

The Young Victoria

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Born in 1819, Victoria was the daughter of Edward, Duke of Kent. Left fatherless at the age of eight months, her early years were difficult, brought up by her German mother in an atmosphere of family feuds and jealousy. Succeeding to the throne at 18, however, she began a triumphant reign.
Published November 25th 2000 by Sutton Publishing (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Victoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Victoria

Victoria's Daughters by Jerrold M. PackardWe Two by Gillian GillBecoming Queen by Kate WilliamsQueen Victoria by Christopher HibbertA Magnificent Obsession by Helen Rappaport
Best Queen Victoria Books
18th out of 61 books — 41 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëEmma by Jane AustenThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Upper Classes
161st out of 232 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittany
I have to admit that I read this after seeing the movie "The Young Victoria," and enjoying it quite a bit. And also (a little) wondering how much of it was really true. This seems to be the book most of the movie is based on, and the answer is: More than you'd think. It seems many of major speeches in the movie can be drawn, almost verbatim, from letters of the period. As you'd expect much was glossed over, simplified, and made rosier, but the story seems to be very much the same.

Consequently,
Amy
A fun and informative read and a great supplement to the movie "The Young Victoria". However, the book could be a lot longer, more detailed, and have footnotes or endnotes. The latter in particular bothers me: how am I to know where the author gets particular bits of information? Yes she includes a bibliography, but that's hardly the same thing.
MerryMeerkat
The Misadventures of Salem Hyde
Star Rating Art: 5 Stars
Star Rating Story: 5 Stars

Self Purchase.

First Impression: Adorable and Funny.

Love the drawing. Love the huge eyes on Salem Hyde. Love Salem Hyde’s spunk.
Love the little getting to know you pages on the characters. I really enjoyed this. The Whammy the cat is also adorable. Great for kids. The only negative thing I can say about this is that it was WAY TOO SHORT!!!! Otherwise, Awesome and juicy.
Quotes: “I’m not a Scaredy Cat! I’m a careful K
Diana
I don't even know where to start...

The narrative was amazing, with A. Plowden's words and the primary sources like letters, notes and Victoria's diaries I almost felt like I had been there, like I had seen it. And then there's Victoria, not the queen, but the young girl that grows up with a normality that I could almost identify myself with, and with trials that made me cheer for her to overcome them. Another sweet surprise was how much of the movie was real! Which is something I, unfortunately,
Emily
I wish there were more history books that focused on a tiny topic and were only 150 pages long--this made a nice, quick read. The book was originally published in the early 1980s (so the "latest research" it's based on probably isn't) and the translation into ebook form is pretty shoddy with lots of stupid OCR errors. I enjoyed the recent movie that closely follows this book because it has a lot of good visual detail, but at least the book skips the silly fictionalized assassination attempt.
Sue
Pretty good, for a quickie read.
So I stopped for some time and finally picked the book back up and finished it. Some slow parts, but I did enjoy it overall. It does give you an idea of what the Young Victoria's life must have been like.
Danielle Reily
I really enjoyed this book. I had never been as interested in Queen Victoria as I have been in earlier European monarchs, this book has made me want to read more books about her and her life.
Susan
A fascinating look at Victoria's early years, which gives good context for some of the key developments in British history.
Kathryn
Remarkably similar to the film and engrossing reading in its own right.
Heather Domin
To be reviewed for HNR December 2011
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Ty Golden
Ty Golden marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Petra Verhelst
Petra Verhelst marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Maureen Collier
Maureen Collier marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Natty
Natty marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Natalie Wright
Natalie Wright marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Britney
Britney marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Zoie Miller
Zoie Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • Queen Victoria's Children
  • Queen Victoria: A Personal History
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • Queen Victoria
  • Queen Victoria in Her Letters and Journals
  • Queen Victoria
  • Becoming Queen
  • The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter
  • Uncrowned King: The Life of Prince Albert
  • Christina, Queen of Sweden: The Restless Life of a European Eccentric
  • A Royal Passion: The Turbulent Marriage of King Charles I of England and Henrietta Maria of France
  • Kings and Queens of England
  • The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland
  • Sovereign Ladies: The Six Reigning Queens of England
  • Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece
  • Queen Victoria's Youngest Son: The Untold Story of Prince Leopold
  • We Two: Victoria and Albert: Rulers, Partners, Rivals
  • Charlotte & Leopold: The True Story of The Original People's Princess
Tudor Women: Queens & Commoners The Young Elizabeth Lady Jane Grey: Nine Days Queen The House of Tudor Two Queens in One Isle