Start by marking “The Young Victoria” as Want to Read:
The Young Victoria

The Young Victoria

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Born in 1819, Victoria was the daughter of Edward, Duke of Kent. Left fatherless at the age of eight months, her early years were difficult, brought up by her German mother in an atmosphere of family feuds and jealousy. Succeeding to the throne at 18, however, she began a triumphant reign.
Published November 25th 2000 by Sutton Publishing (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Victoria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young Victoria

Victoria's Daughters by Jerrold M. PackardWe Two by Gillian GillBecoming Queen by Kate WilliamsQueen Victoria by Christopher HibbertA Magnificent Obsession by Helen Rappaport
Best Queen Victoria Books
18th out of 61 books — 43 voters
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëEmma by Jane AustenThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Upper Classes
156th out of 231 books — 84 voters

More lists with this book...

I have to admit that I read this after seeing the movie "The Young Victoria," and enjoying it quite a bit. And also (a little) wondering how much of it was really true. This seems to be the book most of the movie is based on, and the answer is: More than you'd think. It seems many of major speeches in the movie can be drawn, almost verbatim, from letters of the period. As you'd expect much was glossed over, simplified, and made rosier, but the story seems to be very much the same.

A fun and informative read and a great supplement to the movie "The Young Victoria". However, the book could be a lot longer, more detailed, and have footnotes or endnotes. The latter in particular bothers me: how am I to know where the author gets particular bits of information? Yes she includes a bibliography, but that's hardly the same thing.
The Misadventures of Salem Hyde
Star Rating Art: 5 Stars
Star Rating Story: 5 Stars

Self Purchase.

First Impression: Adorable and Funny.

Love the drawing. Love the huge eyes on Salem Hyde. Love Salem Hyde’s spunk.
Love the little getting to know you pages on the characters. I really enjoyed this. The Whammy the cat is also adorable. Great for kids. The only negative thing I can say about this is that it was WAY TOO SHORT!!!! Otherwise, Awesome and juicy.
Quotes: “I’m not a Scaredy Cat! I’m a careful K
I don't even know where to start...

The narrative was amazing, with A. Plowden's words and the primary sources like letters, notes and Victoria's diaries I almost felt like I had been there, like I had seen it. And then there's Victoria, not the queen, but the young girl that grows up with a normality that I could almost identify myself with, and with trials that made me cheer for her to overcome them. Another sweet surprise was how much of the movie was real! Which is something I, unfortunately,
I wish there were more history books that focused on a tiny topic and were only 150 pages long--this made a nice, quick read. The book was originally published in the early 1980s (so the "latest research" it's based on probably isn't) and the translation into ebook form is pretty shoddy with lots of stupid OCR errors. I enjoyed the recent movie that closely follows this book because it has a lot of good visual detail, but at least the book skips the silly fictionalized assassination attempt.
Pretty good, for a quickie read.
So I stopped for some time and finally picked the book back up and finished it. Some slow parts, but I did enjoy it overall. It does give you an idea of what the Young Victoria's life must have been like.
Danielle Reily
I really enjoyed this book. I had never been as interested in Queen Victoria as I have been in earlier European monarchs, this book has made me want to read more books about her and her life.
A fascinating look at Victoria's early years, which gives good context for some of the key developments in British history.
Remarkably similar to the film and engrossing reading in its own right.
Heather Domin
To be reviewed for HNR December 2011
Jenny marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
 SaЯRah Muhammad
SaЯRah Muhammad marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Kyara Floris
Kyara Floris marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Patricia marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Susan Snodgrass
Susan Snodgrass marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Heather Mathie
Heather Mathie marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Harley Quinn
Harley Quinn marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Narariel marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Staci added it
Sep 11, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Ty Golden
Ty Golden marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Whitney marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
  • Queen Victoria's Children
  • Queen Victoria: A Personal History
  • Victoria and Albert
  • A Magnificent Obsession: Victoria, Albert, and the Death That Changed the British Monarchy
  • Queen Victoria in Her Letters and Journals
  • The Last Princess: The Devoted Life of Queen Victoria's Youngest Daughter
  • Queen Victoria
  • Queen Victoria
  • Christina, Queen of Sweden: The Restless Life of a European Eccentric
  • A Royal Passion: The Turbulent Marriage of King Charles I of England and Henrietta Maria of France
  • Becoming Queen
  • Uncrowned King: The Life of Prince Albert
  • The Kings and Queens of England and Scotland
  • Grandmama of Europe: The Crowned Descendants of Queen Victoria
  • Kings and Queens of England
  • Queen Victoria's Youngest Son: The Untold Story of Prince Leopold
  • Charlotte & Leopold: The True Story of The Original People's Princess
  • Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece
Tudor Women: Queens & Commoners The Young Elizabeth Lady Jane Grey: Nine Days Queen The House of Tudor Two Queens in One Isle