Start by marking “Conquer the Crash: You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression” as Want to Read:
Conquer the Crash: You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression

Conquer the Crash: You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression

"The forecasts in Conquer the Crash continue to be uncannily accurate. Look out below as the rest become reality." Jim Puplava, host, financialsense.com ____________ A year after Conquer the Crash published, stock markets around the world fell precipitously. The rebound of the last six months has convinced some that we are leaving the bear market behind and entering a bu ...more
Published January 16th 2004 by John Wiley & Sons (first published June 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Conquer the Crash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquer the Crash

Dec 05, 2008 Laura marked it as to-read
My dad passed this book along to me during a two-hour conversation about the current economic crisis during Thanksgiving break. He's a 30-year veteran of the finance industry, and one who predicted this current credit bust a solid decade ago, so I trust his economic wisdom and financial advice, and I expect this book to give me a solid grasp on what's happening on Wall Street right now--and what will happen. In case you're wondering, dear old dad predicts that the economy will rebound enough tha ...more
se lee
Dec 01, 2008 se lee marked it as to-read
Shelves: business
Popular passages:

Inflation is an increase in the volume of money and credit relative to available goods resulting in a substantial and continuing rise in the general price levels. - Page 87
Appears in 30 books from 1923-2007

... after long periods of rising stock prices and economic expansion. A depression begins, then, with the seemingly unpredictable reversal of a persistently, indeed often rapidly, rising stock market. The abrupt change from increasing optimism to increasing pessimism initiates
Jon
Nov 28, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics, finance
Two books in one. The first part explains the Elliot Wave where we are in perhaps a Grand Supercycle that began in 1700's and will end now. The second part of the book explains what happens during the deflationary depression that will come and what to do before and after it happens. You can read this post from my blog that gives an extensive review.

One note that I don't include in the review is that the author suggests that if you own a small business, sell it, and buy it back for 10 cents on th
C.J.
Jul 25, 2011 C.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a book that contradicts the "inflationary bubble" that most are predicting, this book is excellent in giving insight into why the opposite might occur instead. The main reason, the banking system. Now, I do wish that Mr. Prechter would have discussed the M3 (or its extrapolated equivalent) more in the book, as I think it is of vital importance; however, that being said, he gives a very compelling argument for deflation, so much so, in fact, that I found this 400+ page book ...more
John
Oct 07, 2009 John rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I've read a couple inflationists, and here, Prechter gives the deflationary perspective. The argument is a compelling one. The Fed can only pump in so much liquidity while deflation destroys our credit based monetary system.

But the big problem I see is that Prechter has been completely wrong about the gold price, which just today reached an all time high. Hmm...

A good read, and the Elliot Wave analysis was very interesting in the early part of the book.
عبدالعزيز الراجحي
Predicted the crisis few years ago, the founder of Elliott Wave International, Robert Prechter, describes how the expected crash in markets would happen and to what extent. Besides, he explains how to veer away the mess, and which investments are safer than others. This book is an encyclopedia of historical corrections, crash, and manias for wisdom investors and analysts.
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it
My dad gave me this book a couple years ago. Never too late right?? Simple striaght forward advice that makes sense on how to keep your money safe. You can skip 1st half - theories and go to 2nd section which is the hands - on, what to do! I'm going to try and implement a few principles this year! The kind of book you read over several times!
Michael
Feb 02, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is prophetic. Written in 2002, Prechter has predicted the global financial crisis (though his timing is a few years off). About 50% of the things he predicted in 2002 have already happened. That leaves one to wonder when the other 50% will come to fruition.
Edgar
Jul 18, 2008 Edgar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some good ideas on preserving your savings in the case of extreme economic conditions. It also explains various types of recessions and depressions and how people modified their habits during them. It talks about wave theory and peoples attitudes prior to changes in the market.
Mr. V
Feb 28, 2016 Mr. V rated it liked it
Its amazing that he wrote this before 2008. How right he was is amazing. Now I do disagree with somethings though. People do matter. The right Leadership can help!
Ryan Young
Jan 06, 2008 Ryan Young rated it really liked it
A must read for 2008.
John Galt
John Galt rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Stephen M. Reinhart
Stephen M. Reinhart rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2016
Marc
Marc rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2010
Warren
Warren rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Wayne
Wayne rated it it was ok
May 06, 2010
Loookisme
Loookisme rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Michael Looney
Michael Looney rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
枝 樹
枝 樹 rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Slom
Slom rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Eirik
Eirik rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Dennis Wales
Dennis Wales rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2009
Al Patel
Al Patel rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2012
Roel
Roel rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2015
Clint sorenson
Clint sorenson rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Hill Rogers
Hill Rogers rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2014
Riley
Riley rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Fred
Fred rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2010
Dan Cooley
Dan Cooley rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Elliott Wave Principle: Key to Market Behavior
  • How to Trade in Stocks
  • Running Money: Hedge Fund Honchos, Monster Markets and My Hunt for the Big Score
  • Bernard Baruch
  • Empire of Debt: The Rise of an Epic Financial Crisis
  • Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
  • The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market Is Down
  • Pacific Rift: Why Americans and Japanese Don't Understand Each Other
  • Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers
  • The Go-Go Years: The Drama and Crashing Finale of Wall Street's Bullish 60's
  • The Alpha Masters: Unlocking the Genius of the World's Top Hedge Funds
  • Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation
  • Web of Debt
  • Technical Analysis Explained: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points
  • The Dollar Crisis: Causes, Consequences, Cures