Start by marking “Me Against My Brother: At War in Somalia, Sudan and Rwanda” as Want to Read:
Me Against My Brother: At War in Somalia, Sudan and Rwanda

Me Against My Brother: At War in Somalia, Sudan and Rwanda

As a foreign correspondent, Scott Peterson witnessed firsthand Somalia's descent into war and its battle against US troops, the spiritual degeneration of Sudan's Holy War, and one of the most horrific events of the last half century: the genocide in Rwanda. In Me Against My Brother, he brings these events together for the first time to record a collapse that has had an imp ...more
Published September 13th 2001 by Routledge (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Me Against My Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Me Against My Brother

Mikey B.
Jul 04, 2014 Mikey B. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: africa, journalism, war
This is a reporters’ onsite reflections’ on what he has witnessed in Somalia, Sudan and Rwanda in the 1990’s. We are also provided with the historical backdrop to these events which gives us insight of these three different regions – and how the outside world (the U.N., U.S. and Europe) responds, and in the case of Rwanda, does not respond.

Somalia is viewed as one of the first challenges of the post-Cold War era. There was the optimism of the “New World Order” and an effervescent “can-do” spirit
Libby (Streed's Reads)
Sep 19, 2012 Libby (Streed's Reads) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Scott Peterson's Me Against My Brother "is not a pretty book. It doesn't describe Africa's stunning sunsets and wild animals, nor its exceptional beauty. And it does not really have a happy ending. But this book does aim to illuminate human tragedy in a way that shows how such tragedies may be easier to avoid in Africa and beyond in the future" (pg. xiv).

Peterson shared that "for everyone who has been to Somalia and Rwanda during times of conflict, the only similarity seemed to be that their vi
Jac
Nov 29, 2008 Jac rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because I realized I had a very poor understanding of the conflicts, past and present, in Somalia. The author, a news correspondent in Somalia, Sudan, and Rwanda, gives some brief background info on the culture and history of each nation, however most of the work focuses on his own experience in-country when these conflicts came to a head. A good, heavy read and, as far as I can tell, a pretty good introduction into the subject of civil war in impoverished nations.
David Bales
Mar 10, 2012 David Bales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
A horrifying firsthand look at the wars and tumult of Africa in the 1980s and '90s by Scott Peterson, an eminent British reporter for the Telegraph. Peterson divides his book into three parts: Somalia, The Sudan and Rwanda, places where he was posted in those years and gives exhaustive details about the history of the conflicts there. Not for the tender-hearted.
Cjsavage
Jul 27, 2011 Cjsavage rated it liked it
Tough to describe and harder to digest, the insights into evil events in terrifying places by pro overseas correspondent Peterson are fingers-over-eyes horror movie standard. A must read for anyone (most?) who misunderstands true hardship, pain, suffering and fear.
Randy
Jul 18, 2011 Randy rated it really liked it
Thoughtful and engaging writing about a horrible subject. I marvel at this guys ability to be in the wrong/right place in the wrong/right time!
Bill Priest
Sep 09, 2007 Bill Priest rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Good book and it encapsulates these three African conflicts in a concise manner.
Claudia Moscovici
Jul 10, 2014 Claudia Moscovici rated it really liked it
Unfortunately, the question of whether humanity as a whole learned a valuable moral lesson from the Holocaust was dramatically answered in the negative during the Rwandan genocide of 1994. Not only did history repeat itself, but so did world indifference to the misfortune of a million victims. In Me against my brother (New York: Routledge, 2000), journalist Scott Peterson vividly describes, based on personal observations and extensive research, the ethnic tension and the genocide in Rwanda. In t ...more
Rachel
Mar 02, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
The author does a wonderful job of covering his experiences in Somalia and gives enough background and inside perspectives that the reader isn't confused if they don't know too much about the situation. However, I think he possibly should have stopped at Somalia as he did not have as much experience or historical knowledge about Sudan or Rwanda. The book does however raise the important question of what is the role of aid/humanitarian organizations in environments of conflict and how do NGOs/UN ...more
Shalon Montgomery
A five star is the only thing I could give this book. Scott Peterson's unbiased book on the horrors of Somalia, Sudan and Rwanda in the nineties is a well written and insightful piece of literature. He was exceptional at given graphic descriptions of events and showing the thinking behind all parties involved in the crisis. The worst thing about the book was he wasn't making any of it up.
Scott Peterson also gave me a new outlook on journalism.
Joseph Simmons
Feb 22, 2014 Joseph Simmons rated it really liked it
I'm not sure what to say here. This book is overwhelming.

The unbridled violence and the extravagant disregard for human life — both by those who commit violent acts and those who could prevent them but don't — are hard to take.

But a lot of this book is an eyewitness' account and the events affected millions & millions of people in ways my empathy fails to understand. So these accounts are significant.

Hard to read, good to read.
Jeremy
Aug 06, 2010 Jeremy rated it liked it
Epilogue summed it up nicely (as it should) - the horrors have very few equals and expressing them on the page results in redundant use of adjectives that almost diminishes the impact of what he is trying to protray. I can't get my brain to understand what happened...and I am somewhat thankful that the veil of the written word keeps the horror from being too real. As a nation we must do better than to develop public policy based on the last botched PKO.
Rhett
Feb 06, 2014 Rhett rated it it was amazing
Second time reading this book and it is absolutely amazing. The amount of civil unrest and the geo- political forces at play in Africa is stunning. The problems there are very intriguing to me and this book does a wonderful job of taking several well known conflicts and showing us just how complicated it can be.
Fran
Sep 14, 2008 Fran rated it really liked it
journalist covering wars in sudan, somalia and rwanda. though I only read the somalia part, I was captivated by his descriptions. describing what he saw. painful, but lucid.
... like mogadishu smells like "a mix of hot sea and salted, rotting ocean waste and the decomposing refuse of sweating human beings".
mat, i think you would like to read this!
khushick P
May 04, 2010 khushick P is currently reading it
this a poem i got from the book.

Rich with Bullets

Arms were
and still are
Somalias most useful currency.
Along with food,
they can ensure living
until tomorrow.
without a weapon
your food will be stolen;
but well armed
you can always steal food.
An AK-47 assault rifle then
cost less than a plate
of goat meat.
Megan
Mar 03, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
Couldn't finish this book.
Jared Williss
Jared Williss rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Kristen Henke
Kristen Henke rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2009
Clare Cameron
Clare Cameron rated it really liked it
May 23, 2010
Michael Hermann
Michael Hermann rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Cameron
Cameron rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2017
Taylor
Taylor rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2008
Ron Willoughby
Ron Willoughby rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Carol Armstrong
Carol Armstrong rated it liked it
May 12, 2017
Veronica Cheong
Veronica Cheong rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2013
Chi Pham
Chi Pham rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2013
Bill Mullen
Bill Mullen rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2014
Eb0
Eb0 rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2014
Naelly Mollss
Naelly Mollss rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Nathan Baskett
Nathan Baskett rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
  • The Key to My Neighbor's House: Seeking Justice in Bosnia and Rwanda
  • The Antelope's Strategy: Living in Rwanda After the Genocide
  • Eyewitness to a Genocide: The United Nations and Rwanda
  • Season of Blood: A Rwandan Journey
  • Blood And Soil: A World History of Genocide and Extermination from Sparta to Darfur
  • God Sleeps in Rwanda: A Journey of Transformation
  • Children at War
  • Darfur Diaries: Stories of Survival
  • The Devil Came on Horseback: Bearing Witness to the Genocide in Darfur
  • Darfur: A Short History of a Long War
  • The Order Of Genocide: Race, Power, And War In Rwanda

He was a Middle East correspondent for the Daily Telegraph but as of 2000 was a staff writer and Moscow bureau chief for the Christian Science Monitor. His book, Me Against My Brother: At War in Somalia, Sudan and Rwanda is an account of his experiences and observations duri
More about Scott Peterson...