4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  67 reviews
When the television weatherman predicts a big snowfall, the narrator gleefully imagines the fun-filled possibilities of an unscheduled holiday from school.

Piling under warm blankets. Sipping hot chocolate in snowman mugs. Building a snow fort. Piling up a zillion snowballs inside. Sledding in the neighbor s field. In scene after snowy scene, from sunrise to sundown, a pair...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Peachtree Publishers

Sandy
Jan 22, 2012 Sandy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: snow
This is a great story, as the story goes on you think it's the little boy telling the story. It is his father telling the story and his dad is the teacher! A great read aloud for first to forth grade.
Mindy
In this book, two little children and their father are watching TV, and they hear the weather man say that it is going to snow tonight. The children become so excited and start thinking of all of the fun things they are going to do on their snow day. They are going to sleep in, go sledding, build a snowman, make snow angels, build forts, etc. The father puts the children to bed so they get some sleep before the big snow day. The next morning the three of them wake up and look out the window expe...more
Juso
"Snow Day" is another heart-warming and fun book by Lester Laminack. One morning, the family wakes up and they notice that it is snowing. They turn on the tv and it has been announced that school is canceled. They are all excited about their day off! They do so many fun things on their day off like snuggling back into bed and drinking hot chocolate. They play outside in the snow, read a new book, watch tv, and go sledding. The snow was "falling like a million goose feathers." There was so much s...more
Shyann Stromquist
Audience- The audience for this book could be either male or female, because it is not gender specific. I think that it could be used for any grades mostly 1st-3rd grade. Most kids can relate to snow days and hoping for snow days which makes it easy for any child to be interested in this book. If you are going to have the students read the book alone I would use it for 2nd or 3rd, but if you, as the teacher, was going to read it younger grades would also enjoy this book.

Appeal- This book is app...more
Stacey
Audience: This is a great book for kindergarten through fourth grade students. The book is simple enough that kindergarteners can relate to the story, yet the twist at the end keeps fourth grade students engaged.

Appeal: The author's whimsical writing style gets children excited about a snow day and the prospect of lots and lots of snow! The illustrations are realistic and applicable to real life, especially during winter season in the midwest.

Application: During the winter this would be a book...more
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Lester Laminack
Peachtree
2007
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

Snow Day! by Lester Laminack is one of my all time favorite picture books. I wanted to share my review of this classic on this snowy New England.

The prospect of a snow day is one of the most exciting things for children. A day without school. A day to sit at home with hot chocolate, and a really good book. A day to go sledding and relax at home. Lester Laminack builds the excit...more
Angela
Audience: This book is primarily for grades K-3. Even though the younger students can grasp the material, this book might fit better for the older students as they might relate a little better.

Appeal: This book is appealing because it has a child sledding on the cover. It also shows pictures of excited and happy children as they are enjoying their snow day. This might spark ideas for the children and help them relate to the book if they think about their previous snow days.

Application: I would u...more
The Sunday Book Review
Dear Lester Laminack;

Loved it! The illustrations were great, the story was funny and so real. As children we all have those thoughts when we hear the weatherman say we might have a snow day the next day. We plan to get up early (earlier than we would if we had to go to school) and don't even complain about it! Finally a day for us to be kids! And that last page? Brilliant! Did not see that coming at all.

Children and parents alike will get a kick out of this book. And as an added bonus the audio...more
Kelsey Scherer
A fun story that everyone can relate to. It is about a family; a dad and two children, who are hoping for nothing more than a snow day. When the forecast shares that a large amount of snow is supposed to be coming, everyone makes plans of what they will do when it happens. When they wake up the next morning, ready to play, they discover that it isn't a snow day and that they must rush to get to school on time. When you get to the end, you discover that the day is actually the teacher and that th...more
Claire Burns
Golden Sower Nominee
Audience: primary
Genre: realistic fiction
Pre-reading strategy: First Lines

To use this strategy in my classroom, I would read the first lines of the book to the class. After I did this, I would have my students individually predict what the story was going to be about. Then in small groups, I would have the students discuss their ideas. Finally, I would bring the whole class together and record all of the ideas on the board. After we read the story, we would compare our ideas...more
Rebecca Mullins
Snow Day is such a fun book! As a snow day approaches the narrator describes all of the things that she is going to do with her day off of school. She is going to make snow angels, a snow man, she is going to make hot chocolate and snuggle with her family, and play. As she gets up the next morning and sees children with backpacks she realizes that the snow day was canceled. The narrator turns out to be a teacher. It's a fun spin on the story, and children get a good laugh out of it. I would read...more
Kristine
I found this book surprisingly cute, funny, and perfect for my snow-themed storytime. A father and his two children overhear the weatherman announce that snow is on the way and a fantasy about what the day could be used for follows.

The words are sparse and very fun. There was a lot of opportunity for animated reading, and it held everyone's attention throughout. It was easier for the older, school-age children to relate, though even the younger ones understood.
Life Between Coffee Spoons

Hope
The narrator believes there will be a snow day and she thinks of all the things she will do, only to find out the snow day is cancelled. The ending is surprising because you learn the narrator is a teacher. Often times children forget the teacher is human and has a life outside of school, this story gives teacher's and students common ground. I think this story would be great in the winter when the weather forecast is expecting snow. K-3
Victoria Dimmitt
I really enjoyed this book. The author and illustrator did a great job of showing what children and adults go through when they are expected a snow day from school. This book would be great to read to your kids or a classroom during the winter months. As a teacher you like to read books that interact with what is going on around you, and the book Snow Day gets kids excited about the possibility of snow days in the school year.
Alison
Audience: This book is appropriate for 2nd-3rd grade because it does not have a lot of words and the vocabulary is not very challenging. However, I feel all elementary students would enjoy reading this book.

Appeal: This book is very appealing to all elementary students because it is about a snow day which is something every child dreams about and can easily relate to.

2010-2011 Golden Sower Nominee
Logan Walker
Great story to read to a class. Two kids and a dad are watching the news and see that a big snowstorm is predicted. Written all in dialogue, the narrator thinks of all the fun things they'll do on their snow day - sleep in, go sledding, make a fort, drink cocoa, etc. Next day, they do have to go to school, and they have to hurry, because it turns out the narrator is the dad who's a teacher.
Kris
Cute! Two kids and a dad are watching the news and see that a big snowstorm is predicted. Written all in dialogue, the narrator thinks of all the fun things they'll do on their snow day - sleep in, go sledding, make a fort, drink cocoa, etc. Next day, they do have to go to school, and they have to hurry, because it turns out the narrator is the dad who's a teacher. Fun to read in a classroom.
Barb Middleton
The weatherman on the news announces a snow storm and the family imagines a fun unplanned holiday of playing in the snow. They wake up and look outside to no snow and scramble to get to school on time. Good for showing a small moment in writing. Strong beginning, middle, and end. Kids could connect it to typhoon days or other unplanned holidays. Teachers will laugh at the last page.
Imani Hampton
This book is a funny one. I has the purfect ending. The pictures are a lot of fun. Children can learn in this book how and why schools are closed when it is snowing.
My lesson I would help children first make hot coco. Then I would have a bag of marshmellos where the children would count to see how many can fit in thier mugs.
Shaley Dunn
This book is so cute. It is really how kids feel every night when they think there is going to be snow and a snow day the next day. I can remember staying up all night waiting for it to snow and it never snow. I think the teachers feel the same way too, everyone needs that one day off every once in a while.
Joan Oegema
After enjoying a snow day this week, this book seemed appropriate to read to the kindergarters this afternoon. The book covers my feelings about the possibility of a day off work because of snowy weather - I especially loved the ending! This book is a must read for any teacher (or other school staff).
Angela
What would you do with an unexpected day off from school? In this book we see what a father and his two children do when they overhear the weatherman announce that snow is on the way and they let their imaginations go wild about what they could use the day for. Great read aloud for k-4th grade.
Maria
There's going to be a snowfall, the weatherman predicts. Time to dream of sipping hot chocolate, sledding, and building snowmen! Will it happen? Who is hoping for a snow day most of all? Great for younger children.
I think the twist at the end shows how teachers are people too. :)
Shannon
Creepy character faces. I like that (similar to Elisha Cooper's FARM), this is a modern twist on an age-old phenomenon-- dad checks to see if there's a snow day by consulting the computer. BEST ENDING.
Katie Lee
Who doesn't love the anticipation that the idea of a snow day brings! The story goes on and on about the many things that the narrator will do if there is a snow day. At the end if the story we discover that the narrator isn't a student but in fact the teacher!
Katie
Great book to read aloud in the winter time, especially as word of a winter storm is moving in. The kids will be interested and captivated. Fun book to show that teachers wish for snow days also! Kindergarten through fifth grade will enjoy this book.
Adam Hardesty
This is a fun story about all the great activities to do on a Snow Day. The kids are talking about what they can do along with the Narrator who turns out to be their Dad. This is a fun book that any kid who loves a good ol snow day will enjoy.
Kristine
This could be a fun book for any age group Pre-K-6. This book relates to many of the children and teachers and shows a love for things to do on a unexpected snow day from school. Suggested readers would be grades K-3rd.Award Nominee 2010-2011
Mackenzie Rodeghier
Teachers and students alike often wish for snow days! It's a perfect excuse for sleeping in and playing all day! I think this book could be used in a classroom to illustrate to children that everyone craves a break once in a while, even teachers!
  • Too Loud Lily
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock
32057
Lester L. Laminack is Professor Emeritus from department of Birth-Kindergarten, Elementary and Middle Grades Education, at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, North Carolina where he received two awards for excellence in teaching [the Botner Superior Teaching Award and the Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award]. Lester is now a full-time writer and consultant working with schools through...more
More about Lester L. Laminack...
Three Hens and a Peacock Saturdays and Tea Cakes Jake's 100th Day of School The Sunsets of Miss Olivia Wiggins Learning Under the Influence of Language and Literature: Making the Most of Read-Alouds Across the Day