Start by marking “Snow Day!” as Want to Read:

Snow Day!

When the television weatherman predicts a big snowfall, the narrator gleefully imagines the fun-filled possibilities of an unscheduled holiday from school. Piling under warm blankets. Sipping hot chocolate in snowman mugs. Building a snow fort. Piling up a zillion snowballs inside. Sledding in the neighbor's field. In scene after snowy scene, from sunrise to sundown, a pai ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Snow Day!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Day!

Cindy Minnich
Jul 03, 2014 Cindy Minnich rated it it was amazing
Reading this in July might be silly, but I saw this on the shelf at the library and couldn't pass up a chance to read it, even if I have heard it read to me before. What kid (or parent or teacher) couldn't relate to this? It's long enough after the zillion or so snow days we had this past winter to make me smile.
Kirstin Kemppainen
The narrator plans what he'll do if they have a snow day! Unfortunately, they don't have one. And we find out the teacher was actually the one who was excited about the snow day! Great book with colorful vocabulary and metaphors.
Sandy
Jan 22, 2012 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: snow
This is a great story, as the story goes on you think it's the little boy telling the story. It is his father telling the story and his dad is the teacher! A great read aloud for first to forth grade.
Terrence Dingle
Jan 31, 2017 Terrence Dingle rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading
This story is about two kids and their father who are watching the new and hear there’s a chance of snow for the next day. They start thinking of all the things they are going to be able to do tomorrow. As the day goes on they grow more and more excited. Finally, the sun goes down and shortly after the kids are put in bed. The family wakes up to find no snow on the ground. What they see instead is kids walking to the bus. They have to rush to get ready for school.

I liked this story. I remember m
Shyann Stromquist
Jan 16, 2013 Shyann Stromquist rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Audience- The audience for this book could be either male or female, because it is not gender specific. I think that it could be used for any grades mostly 1st-3rd grade. Most kids can relate to snow days and hoping for snow days which makes it easy for any child to be interested in this book. If you are going to have the students read the book alone I would use it for 2nd or 3rd, but if you, as the teacher, was going to read it younger grades would also enjoy this book.

Appeal- This book is app
Juso
Mar 12, 2013 Juso rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-craft
"Snow Day" is another heart-warming and fun book by Lester Laminack. One morning, the family wakes up and they notice that it is snowing. They turn on the tv and it has been announced that school is canceled. They are all excited about their day off! They do so many fun things on their day off like snuggling back into bed and drinking hot chocolate. They play outside in the snow, read a new book, watch tv, and go sledding. The snow was "falling like a million goose feathers." There was so much s ...more
Mindy
Sep 02, 2008 Mindy rated it liked it
In this book, two little children and their father are watching TV, and they hear the weather man say that it is going to snow tonight. The children become so excited and start thinking of all of the fun things they are going to do on their snow day. They are going to sleep in, go sledding, build a snowman, make snow angels, build forts, etc. The father puts the children to bed so they get some sleep before the big snow day. The next morning the three of them wake up and look out the window expe ...more
Stacey
Jan 18, 2013 Stacey rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Audience: This is a great book for kindergarten through fourth grade students. The book is simple enough that kindergarteners can relate to the story, yet the twist at the end keeps fourth grade students engaged.

Appeal: The author's whimsical writing style gets children excited about a snow day and the prospect of lots and lots of snow! The illustrations are realistic and applicable to real life, especially during winter season in the midwest.

Application: During the winter this would be a book
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
Lester Laminack
Peachtree
2007
This review is also posted on Get Kids to Read: http://www.mrtierneyslibrary.com

Snow Day! by Lester Laminack is one of my all time favorite picture books. I wanted to share my review of this classic on this snowy New England.

The prospect of a snow day is one of the most exciting things for children. A day without school. A day to sit at home with hot chocolate, and a really good book. A day to go sledding and relax at home. Lester Laminack builds the excit
Angela
Jan 31, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Audience: This book is primarily for grades K-3. Even though the younger students can grasp the material, this book might fit better for the older students as they might relate a little better.

Appeal: This book is appealing because it has a child sledding on the cover. It also shows pictures of excited and happy children as they are enjoying their snow day. This might spark ideas for the children and help them relate to the book if they think about their previous snow days.

Application: I would u
The Sunday Book Review
Dear Lester Laminack;

Loved it! The illustrations were great, the story was funny and so real. As children we all have those thoughts when we hear the weatherman say we might have a snow day the next day. We plan to get up early (earlier than we would if we had to go to school) and don't even complain about it! Finally a day for us to be kids! And that last page? Brilliant! Did not see that coming at all.

Children and parents alike will get a kick out of this book. And as an added bonus the audio
Kelsey Scherer
Mar 10, 2013 Kelsey Scherer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A fun story that everyone can relate to. It is about a family; a dad and two children, who are hoping for nothing more than a snow day. When the forecast shares that a large amount of snow is supposed to be coming, everyone makes plans of what they will do when it happens. When they wake up the next morning, ready to play, they discover that it isn't a snow day and that they must rush to get to school on time. When you get to the end, you discover that the day is actually the teacher and that th ...more
Rebecca Mullins
Jan 22, 2012 Rebecca Mullins rated it really liked it
Snow Day is such a fun book! As a snow day approaches the narrator describes all of the things that she is going to do with her day off of school. She is going to make snow angels, a snow man, she is going to make hot chocolate and snuggle with her family, and play. As she gets up the next morning and sees children with backpacks she realizes that the snow day was canceled. The narrator turns out to be a teacher. It's a fun spin on the story, and children get a good laugh out of it. I would read ...more
Susan S.C.C.L.
Mar 23, 2016 Susan S.C.C.L. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
The anticipation... the excitement... the possibility of a "Snow Day" is something so many of us can relate to. This story definitely brought back that feeling of childhood and hoping more than anything for that announcement. Deciding whether to prepare the snow gear for play or stay cozy indoors. Peeking out the window throughout the night and of course watching TV for "the list" of closures. It's honestly a feeling that still remains decades later, an excitement that never fades. Well done Mr. ...more
Claire Burns
Jun 01, 2013 Claire Burns rated it it was amazing
Shelves: primary-books
Golden Sower Nominee
Audience: primary
Genre: realistic fiction
Pre-reading strategy: First Lines

To use this strategy in my classroom, I would read the first lines of the book to the class. After I did this, I would have my students individually predict what the story was going to be about. Then in small groups, I would have the students discuss their ideas. Finally, I would bring the whole class together and record all of the ideas on the board. After we read the story, we would compare our ideas
Victoria Dimmitt
Jan 18, 2012 Victoria Dimmitt rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The author and illustrator did a great job of showing what children and adults go through when they are expected a snow day from school. This book would be great to read to your kids or a classroom during the winter months. As a teacher you like to read books that interact with what is going on around you, and the book Snow Day gets kids excited about the possibility of snow days in the school year.
Hope
Jan 28, 2012 Hope rated it it was amazing
The narrator believes there will be a snow day and she thinks of all the things she will do, only to find out the snow day is cancelled. The ending is surprising because you learn the narrator is a teacher. Often times children forget the teacher is human and has a life outside of school, this story gives teacher's and students common ground. I think this story would be great in the winter when the weather forecast is expecting snow. K-3
Alison
Jun 07, 2012 Alison rated it really liked it
Audience: This book is appropriate for 2nd-3rd grade because it does not have a lot of words and the vocabulary is not very challenging. However, I feel all elementary students would enjoy reading this book.

Appeal: This book is very appealing to all elementary students because it is about a snow day which is something every child dreams about and can easily relate to.

2010-2011 Golden Sower Nominee
Life Between Coffee Spoons
May 02, 2013 Life Between Coffee Spoons rated it really liked it
I found this book surprisingly cute, funny, and perfect for my snow-themed storytime. A father and his two children overhear the weatherman announce that snow is on the way and a fantasy about what the day could be used for follows.

The words are sparse and very fun. There was a lot of opportunity for animated reading, and it held everyone's attention throughout. It was easier for the older, school-age children to relate, though even the younger ones understood.
Kristine

Layla
This is a sweet book perfect to read during the winter to students. It can be used to give ideas to students about all the fun things there are to do outside, even when its cold. It encourages to students to get out of the house/technology and be creative in the outdoors. This would be a good read aloud with accountable talking points and places where students could turn and talk about their own snow day experiences.
Diane
Nov 19, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing
The anticipation of a snow day is almost better than the snow day itself. "Wonderful, amazing, we-can't-go snow." Such plans are made! Such joy is described! Such panic the next morning when the snow doesn't come. "Drat! I really needed a snow day!"

Lured into an assumption as to who the narrator of the story is, the reader is surprised by the twist at the end. Very cute and fabulous illustrations.
Logan Walker
Apr 01, 2013 Logan Walker rated it really liked it
Great story to read to a class. Two kids and a dad are watching the news and see that a big snowstorm is predicted. Written all in dialogue, the narrator thinks of all the fun things they'll do on their snow day - sleep in, go sledding, make a fort, drink cocoa, etc. Next day, they do have to go to school, and they have to hurry, because it turns out the narrator is the dad who's a teacher.
Kristen
Aug 22, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Cute! Two kids and a dad are watching the news and see that a big snowstorm is predicted. Written all in dialogue, the narrator thinks of all the fun things they'll do on their snow day - sleep in, go sledding, make a fort, drink cocoa, etc. Next day, they do have to go to school, and they have to hurry, because it turns out the narrator is the dad who's a teacher. Fun to read in a classroom.
Joan Oegema
Feb 04, 2011 Joan Oegema rated it it was amazing
After enjoying a snow day this week, this book seemed appropriate to read to the kindergarters this afternoon. The book covers my feelings about the possibility of a day off work because of snowy weather - I especially loved the ending! This book is a must read for any teacher (or other school staff).
Shaley Dunn
This book is so cute. It is really how kids feel every night when they think there is going to be snow and a snow day the next day. I can remember staying up all night waiting for it to snow and it never snow. I think the teachers feel the same way too, everyone needs that one day off every once in a while.
Barb Middleton
The weatherman on the news announces a snow storm and the family imagines a fun unplanned holiday of playing in the snow. They wake up and look outside to no snow and scramble to get to school on time. Good for showing a small moment in writing. Strong beginning, middle, and end. Kids could connect it to typhoon days or other unplanned holidays. Teachers will laugh at the last page.
Imani Hampton
Nov 27, 2012 Imani Hampton rated it it was amazing
This book is a funny one. I has the purfect ending. The pictures are a lot of fun. Children can learn in this book how and why schools are closed when it is snowing.
My lesson I would help children first make hot coco. Then I would have a bag of marshmellos where the children would count to see how many can fit in thier mugs.
Mackenzie Rodeghier
Mar 04, 2013 Mackenzie Rodeghier rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Teachers and students alike often wish for snow days! It's a perfect excuse for sleeping in and playing all day! I think this book could be used in a classroom to illustrate to children that everyone craves a break once in a while, even teachers!
Amanda
Jun 04, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Audience: K and Up, emergent readers
Appeal: Students, teachers, and families. This book will appeal to all families, especially students, who long for a snow day every school year!

Awards: Golden Sower Nominee 2010-2011
  • Meerkat Mail
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • Michael Recycle
  • Cows Can't Fly
  • Fireflies (Reading Rainbow)
  • If She Only Knew Me
  • A Pirate's Guide to First Grade
  • Henry in Love
  • Silly Tilly
  • Tooth Trouble
32057
Lester L. Laminack is Professor Emeritus from department of Birth-Kindergarten, Elementary and Middle Grades Education, at Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, North Carolina where he received two awards for excellence in teaching [the Botner Superior Teaching Award and the Chancellor’s Distinguished Teaching Award]. Lester is now a full-time writer and consultant working with schools through ...more
More about Lester L. Laminack...