Start by marking “Lettin It All Hang Out” as Want to Read:
Lettin It All Hang Out

Lettin It All Hang Out

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  281 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The world's best-known drag performer tells of his rise from poverty to superstardom and offers beauty tips, positive thinking tools, and his unique sense of humor in a first book filled with photographs. Tour.
Published June 1st 1995 by Hyperion (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Lettin It All Hang Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lettin It All Hang Out

Rachael Martin
This book is exactly what you think it is. It's not deep literature. It's not a psychological study. It is simply the story of a man who looks stunning in a dress.

RuPaul discusses his early years, working in the drag scene. He struggles emotionally and financially. Talks about his family. Talks about the success of his drag.

I was hoping there would be an in-depth explanation about all the secrets of the beauty of drag, but I suppose those secrets are the key to his success.

An easy read. No more...more
Molly
I love Ru. I didn't think this was the best writing I've ever read, and I always like more salaciousness in my memoirs, but who cares- he's so great. For a man who makes a living wearing what some could consider to be a costume, he manages to be anything but fake.
Alan
I loved reading about Rupaul came to fame. I loved how honest and down to earth he is about his childhood. I would have loved if there was more about his romantic life as I felt he avoided it until the very last page.

The book was written in 95, I would love to read something recent although from watching his reality show he hasn't changed.
Bekki Mills
Okay, I thought this book would be just a fun read, but Who has a better outlook on life than RuPaul?! Just love him!
Also, neat pics of him inside, including as a kid with a fro that takes two pages:)
Brittomart
I just have one thing to say: You better work.
Cedarlakeinn
Awesome book. Fascinating individual.
flannery
#1 book. Believe.

"In this book I'm going to show you that I am just like everybody else. I hope when you are done reading this book, you'll put it down and say 'Oh my god! I've just read my own life story.' That's what I mean by letting it all hang out."

"One of the questions I am so often asked is, 'What do I call you? He or she?' And I say 'You can call me he, you can call me she, you can call me Regis and Kathie Lee, just so long as you call me.'"

"My immediate family, who were my role models...more
Erin
really wanted to love this book, but there isn't too much i didn't already know within. plus, some of the self-aggrandizing, while expected, and even celebrated, got a teensy bit tiresome.
Janus
The only bio that's made me think more of a person.
Amy Adams
I've been a RuPaul fan since I first saw her on television. I just thought she was a magical creature, and, as it turns out, she pretty much is! This book was definitely written in the mid-90s, but it's all Ru! The end gets a little bit preachy, but overall it's a great message from someone who could have turned out really messed up but who, instead, has an amazingly positive outlook on life, is a real go-getter, is truly uplifting, and is the glamazon supermodel of the world. Everybody say, "Lo...more
Abby
Without getting too personal, my life has been in flux for some time. Reading RuPaul's book helped me put some aspects in perspective. Seriously. It's not a self-help book but he has good common sense advice for those lacking in that precious gene.

This was a welcome and fun read. There are some serious parts because his life hasn't always been fun but he sees the lessons in everything and applies what he's learned to having a joyful, healthy good time.
Rachel
This was about you'd expect. There's a lot more to it than there is to Workin' It!, and I learned a lot about RuPaul's career than I didn't know. Because it's RuPaul, there's a lot of advice about the value of self-affirmation. There isn't, however, much about his personal relationships, besides those he had/has with his parents. He barely mentions any romance at all, so it does seem a little more superficial than it could have been.
Katie
The tone is so personal you feel like a voyeur. But very warm and positive in addition to being frank.
It also feels very young compared to the Ru you see on TV in Drag Race who rarely reveals personal things and is all refined-persona-on-display. It's got that "I'm in my mid 30s now and I have so much more figured out than I did in my 20s vibe.
Phil Devereux
Fabulous look at Ru's early life. I particularly relished the insight into his early adventures with a young Lady Bunny and others, tearing up the streets of Atlanta and Manhattan in the 80s. Also, the various lists of RuPaul's Favourite Things are a great look back at the early 90s camp zeitgeist.
Leslie
Aug 25, 2007 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: RuPaul fans
I've always admired RuPaul, like when she wore that sequined Rebel flag dress. I also liked her song "supermodel". Over six feet tall, she has a very commanding presence! RuPaul tells her story of growing up in Atlanta and of being a drag queen. I can't get enough of her.
Jason Coffman
Very interesting to read about RuPaul's upbringing and history leading up to her breakout success in the 90s, but it's pretty glossy when it comes to Ru's personal life and it feels dated. An updated edition could probably fix these minor complaints, though!
Kyla Li
This book let me pretend that I was hanging out with Ru, maybe drinking some coffee, conducting the world's most laid-back interview. I wish that had really happened, of course, but this book is the next best thing. LOVE HER.
April (The Steadfast Reader)
See full review here: http://thesteadfastreader.blogspot.co...

Fabulous. Conveys a positive image while looking into the life of a Superstar. Bravo, RuPaul.
Lane
This book is an amazing biography of RuPaul. From RuPauls early music with the groups RuPaul and the U-Hauls to wee wee Pole and RuPauls favorite movies this book doesn't quit. The pictures are great too.
Jenn
kind of dated at this point, this was "Supermodel" era RuPaul. it was interesting enough, with some wisdom to share. not as exciting or funny as I think RuPaul is in front of the camera, however.
Erin Tuzuner
The hard work he put into his career is evident, while this book revealed his spiritual side. He is the whole package and deserves every success in the world.
essteajay
this book was interesting. the writing isn't incredible, but it's genuine. i enjoyed the inside look into RuPaul's history and experiences.
Cthonus
Got a copy by accident and not choice: it's as deep as you'd expect it to be and as honest as it could be without containing any salacious details.
Rachele
Aug 15, 2007 Rachele rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: FABULOUS PEOPLE!
SO good! Actually, this book made me think/understand for the first time about what it's actually like to be queer or gay.
Derek Oberg
This was good. Just "Supermodel" 90's era Ru talking about her life. A little dated, but still good.
Darren Winfield
i am only a quarter of the way thru but i love how Ru writes and am laughing out loud at how candid he is
Barbara English
Was a very positive book, positive spiritual message! Loved it!
  • Hiding My Candy
  • Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories
  • The Queen of Whale Cay: The Eccentric Story of 'Joe' Carstairs, Fastest Woman on Water
  • Foxy: My Life in Three Acts
  • I, Tina
  • Likewise: The High School Comic Chronicles of Ariel Schrag
  • The Accidental Feminist: How Elizabeth Taylor Raised Our Consciousness and We Were Too Distracted by Her Beauty to Notice
  • Yeah, I Said It
  • Crackpot: The Obsessions of John Waters
  • Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones
  • Lush Life: A Biography of Billy Strayhorn
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • She's Not the Man I Married: My Life with a Transgender Husband
  • No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel
  • The Naked Civil Servant
  • Garbo
  • Tis Herself
  • You Have No Idea: A Famous Daughter, Her No-nonsense Mother, and How They Survived Pageants, Hollywood, Love, Loss (and Each Other)
RuPaul (born RuPaul Andre Charles) is an American drag performer, dance music singer, actor, and songwriter who gained fame in the 1990s; appearing in a wide variety of television programs, films, and musical albums. Though a catty attitude is often associated with drag queens, RuPaul intentionally displayed a "love one another" attitude to be set apart from them. Although primarily known for an e...more
More about RuPaul...
Workin' It!: RuPaul's Guide to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Style

“We're born naked, and the rest is drag.” 50 likes
“You want to know the truth about drugs? You can only go one or two ways. You can go up, or you can go down. That's it. After a certain point, though, no matter what you do, what you take, you don't go anywhere, and that's when you've got to sit down and face yourself.” 7 likes