Start by marking “The Bridal Veil” as Want to Read:
The Bridal Veil

The Bridal Veil

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  495 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Emily Cannon is not the mail-order bride Luck Becker expected: plain and tall, Emily has taken someone else's place as Luke's bride. And she is far from the woman Luke thought he wanted. Arriving in Oregon with nothing but the gown and veil her sister had intended to wear, Emily had nowhere to go and is in more desperate straights than she can ever let on. But Luke needs a ...more
Published January 7th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Bridal Veil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridal Veil

Ridley
Feb 17, 2013 Ridley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of mail-order brides, western romance and/or plain heroines.
There's a lot to love in this story of a tall, plain finishing school teacher who goes west as a mail-order bride for an Oregon farmer. Emily is a compelling mix of insecurity and strength. She recognizes that she's no beauty while at the same time holds her head up and demands people treat her with respect. Though initially relctant to marry her, Luke can't help becoming her champion, and in the process of defending her from his vicious mother-in-law he finds the strength to fight his way out o ...more
Linda

THE BRIDAL VEIL was the third book I have read by Alexis Harrington. Her earlier writing style is similar to Carolyn Davidson, Millie Criswell and Mary Burton's older historical romances. These authors followed a formula and I found that my enjoyment of their stories was dependent upon the mood I was in at that particular time. Sometimes a romance was good and, at other times, I found a book to be a clunker.

Emily Cannon left Chicago for Oregon when her sister Alyssa had died in an accid
Lisa Kay
★★★★☆ I enjoyed this one. It took awhile to get going, but it had a nice story and characters to it. I love a good mail-order bride tale.
Cherise
Really enjoyed this one. Always love and arranged marriage romance this one is quite well done. There is no unreasonable behavior among the protagonists that makes you want to throw the book and grind your back teeth, one understands how the h and H thinks and this I contribute to the author's talent. The storyline is engaging and both h ad H are lovable characteir own issues. Though some readers here think there isn't enough grovelling, I actually think the made up dialog pretty good and breath ...more
Ana
– The Bridal Veil is a romance that starts out with a dark tone but don’t worry, it doesn’t stay that way. Emily has lied to her soon-to-be husband, Luke is hiding his own secrets, then there’s a cranky, argumentative mother-in-law and a motherless daughter and that’s in the first three chapters. Harrington has taken a simple mail-order bride theme and with a few unexpected plot twists makes it fresh and new again. Her characters portray a depth and emotion that will touch the reader and keep th ...more
Lauren

I love the love/hate relationship romances of mail order bride books. I think I like when each of the people realize how much they mean to one another and exactly what they can offer each other that no one else could. Emily was a great heroine character and stood up for what she believed in without being snide about it. I also loved the antagonism Cora brought to the table making Emily and Luke's relationship so much better.
Regina
I love mail order bride themes! The story was well paced and all the family characters were very interesting and well developed. This one was different because it involved a bitter, domineering, and interfering mother-in-law. Emily's insecurities about her plainness and height were well written, and Luke's grief and general dissatisfaction with his home life were realistic. A very good read and entertaining tale. 3.8 stars
Ashley
Eh, I enjoyed the book but it left a lot unsaid and I was becoming annoyed with how Emily was always described as plain and too tall like she was ugly or something. I also feel like the veil wasn't that important in the story it was mentioned like four times it wasn't a big deal honestly and the last page rapped it up by saying all she needed was love not the veil.
Emmly Jane
Great characters and nice story. The way the mother-in-law manipulated the little girl (hero's daughter) was a bit disturbing to me though. Still, I'd still recommend to anyone who enjoys historical romances. Enjoy! ~~Emmly Jane
Natālija
I really enjoyed this book. Usually I prefer "romance only" books. Although this one had a bit of everything: family, father-daughter relationship, romance & even etiquette lessons, I'm glad I picked it up.
Greentea
CAUTION: This story is a tear jerker
Deeply emotional and I rooted for the heroine which made it a great read. Aside from crying over the heroine, I appreciated that being plain is beautiful. This story focused on the heroine’s inner beauty and how she acted towards bad circumstances.

Emma was an etiquette teacher from Chicago who went as her sister’s stead in the mail order bride advertisement. She was plain looking, tall, and pale haired. She is good mannered and civilized but she wasn’t immune
Hoa
After reading the introduction I had thought this is a light read but it turned out to have its dark moment with Emily’s struggling to fit in her new household. There was no one in that house she could confide in: the husband too obsessed with his first wife, the stepdaughter with no manner, a wicked mother-in-law of her husband. She was strong enough to bring change to this gloomy house and gain the happiness she deserved. I don’t like Luke, he was too indecisive and blindsight to let his mothe ...more
Karen
Emily accepted her dead sister's mail ordered bride invitation. Forever in someone's shadow she had to forge ahead in a very hostile grieving family & with some snarky town spinsters.

I loved Emily's quiet strength & the way she conducted herself through the lense of proper society even in a rural setting, even dressing down the chickens. Cora was a thoroughly manipulative evil character stirring up a dearth of trouble that made life interesting.

It's a lovely descriptive story where a lo
Jacky Faber
This book was a disappointing read. The other Harrington books I've read have been much better. While Sarah and Luke were pretty good H&h, the mother-in-law, Cora, was such an unpleasant character it made the novel very unpleasant to read.
Charlie
This is a very sweet story. The writing and plot probably started better than it ended, but I liked the heroine from the offset - it's nice to read about a character with so much integrity.
Maria
The bridal veil
Stars 4.5

When the story started and I got sucked into the story, I didn't know whose side I should be one. I think everyone does this, when your reading a book you pick a side. Well you could not in this book because they both had reasons.

Anyways, this book had a teacher who wanted to spread her love, a father who needed love, a girl who needed a mother. And a monster-in-law
Joy
Emily Cannon--no beauty--goes west in her dead sister's place as a mail-order bride because there's nothing left at home. Widowed Luke Becker desperately needs a wife--his daughter is troubled and his bad cook of a cantankerous mother-in-law is trying to run his life, so he marries Emily in her sister's place. But Emily must overcome her insecurities and establish herself with her new family and Luke must get over his late wife before their marriage can truly begin. Meanwhile Emily fondles her m ...more
Meredith
I almost think I read this book a long time ago--but honestly, this could have been any of a number of "Americana" romance novels. I enjoyed it, but I can't say it resonated with me in any special way. If you're in the mood for a "Sarah, plain and Tall" type read, this is an adequate (if more generic) substitute.
Emma Hillman
I really enjoyed this book. The premise was intriguing and the characters well fleshed-out. I don't usually read American historicals, but I liked it so much I purchased another one of Ms Harrington's books (Harper's Bride), which I'm currently reading.
Angélica
An altogether good book with well-written characters. There's a bit of angst with the mother-in-law that I thought was a bit too much, though. I like reading a good arranged marriage story, always been a sucker to them.
Diantha Jones
I don't know why I liked this book so much, but if I had to guess, I would sat the sheer innocence of it swept me away. It's old-fashioned romance at its best and I really liked it. Romance lovers, dig into this one!
Tonileg
Sweet story about a plain spinster lady finding love with a hot widower. I preferred this plot in 'Sarah plain and tall' but this story has more sexual tension and a couple of light hot scenes.
Sweety
A very good book... I was not very much interested in romance novels... This was an exception... Loved the soft romance between the lead pair... Ending is an expected one though...
June
A lovely romance but I don't like that heroine keep describe herself as this plain unattrative woman repeatedly I mean it got tedious.
Danette Steward
4.5. This was SO GOOD. If you like author Jodi Thomas then you'll adore this book. Tame.
Miso
Loved it,great read good plot and storyline!!
Cat Bras
Another good book by Alexis Harrington
Bunga
Waduh... berapa kali ya saya ngebatin kaya gitu di dalam hati. Cerita di buku ini angsty banget, mulai dari awal sampai akhir. Alexis Harrington memang pinter banget meracik sebuah drama romance campur drama keluarga yang bikin gemes dari awal sampe ke akhir. Sampe bisa bikin saya termehek-mehek deh.. Highly recommended!
Partridge Public
Harrington, Alexis
Western and Medie...: August, 2013 BOM - The Bridal Veil, by Alexis Harrington 21 62 Aug 17, 2013 09:05PM
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Parting Gifts
  • The Heart Breaker (Rocky Mountain, #2)
  • His Secondhand Wife
  • Short Straw Bride
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • Two Texas Hearts
  • The Marriage Bed
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Conor's Way
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
I've been a self-employed working novelist for the past twenty years. Of all the books I've written I've had just one foreign sale, and that was THE IRISH BRIDE, which was translated into Norwegian, where I understand it was a big hit.

I also make jewelry and I'm a fine needlework artist, specializing in embroidery, thread crochet, and sewing. I love to cook, read, entertain friends, decorate, and
More about Alexis Harrington...
Home by Morning (Powell Springs, #1) A Taste Of Heaven Harper's Bride Home by Nightfall (Powell Springs, #2) The Irish Bride