Start by marking “Allie's Moon” as Want to Read:
Allie's Moon

Allie's Moon

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  366 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
They were two strangers alone in the world, until they found the one precious thing that could heal their wounds: each other's love...

Althea Ford lives alone with her invalid sister in a crumbling Oregon farmhouse, burdened by sins of the past. Desperate for help, she reluctantly turns to Jefferson Hicks, an ex-lawman who has fallen from grace-a man who unexpectetly awaken
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published April 15th 2000 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Allie's Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allie's Moon

Christina ~ Brunette Reader

For all it was a very well-written example of Americana/Western romance, I couldn't help thinking of it as "dated" under some aspects, mainly due to the heroine's characterisation and the easy lapsing into purple prose especially during love scenes.
The storyline was quite engaging (not as much the romance), the focus on the hero's intimate journey from guilt-ridden wretch to stronger and freer man ready to grasp a second chance at life was interesting and rewarding, though the villains were a li
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Allie’s Moon is a love story with two lonely people who carry heavy weights on their hearts from the past. Althea Ford had been told for most of her life that she was responsible for her mother’s death. She focused her existence on making amends for her lapse by taking care of her father through his long illness, and her sister who has emotional problems and ‘fits’. She sees no other life for herself other than the narrow, lonely one she inhabits.

For the past two years, Jeff Hicks has drowned hi
Ridley
Wow! This was very nearly a five-star read for me. It's like a 4.75. Loved Allie and Jeff, adored their story and was super impressed at how Harrington wrote the antagonists. It's the third book I've read by this author (after Harper's Bride and Desperate Hearts) and I liked it much more than either of them.

Left in charge of the family farm and her addled sister after her father's death, Althea Ford is overworked and overwhelmed. Against her better judgement, but desperate for the help, she's wa
Linda
Althea Ford, 'Allie', is one of two sisters that was left the family farm. Before her father passed away he made her feel that all the bad things that happened to the farm were her fault. She felt guilty from things that were beyond her control. Her younger sister, Olivia, played this dilemma to the hilt.

Allie was at wit's end when the local sheriff brought her a proposal. The previous sheriff, Jefferson Hicks, had become the town drunk. At one time Hicks had it all until he mistakenly killed a
Mary B.
Althea (Allie) Ford is a spinster who has resigned herself to a life of caring for her sickly little sister after her mother's suicide and her unkind father's death. Known by the townsfolk of Decker Prairie, Oregon as the 'Crazy Ford Sisters,' the two young women live a life of virtual isolation out on their untended farm, where they are haunted by painful ghosts from the past.

Jefferson Hicks is an ex-Sheriff who descends into a deep depression and alcoholic haze after shooting a teenaged boy i
Noelle
There is just something about a story that has such tortured characters that pulls at the heart strings. These two were so broken emotionaly that it was pretty hard to see how they would ever become whole again but Alexis Harrington has such a way with writing that she made it very believable. She didn't just have Allie and Jeff fall in love at first sight and BAM! everythings all better, no they had to take baby steps and for every two steps forward there would be a few steps backwards. I think ...more
Adrianamae, Marco's fan
Feb 09, 2015 Adrianamae, Marco's fan rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This historical romance between two damaged people would have rated higher if it weren't that it had two things that I dislike immensely:

a)the self-sacrificing heroine that no matter how badly she is treated, she continues to sacrifice herself because it's her duty or because she feels guilty. Though Jeff opened Allie's eyes to her sister's nefarious actions, and to the fact that she was not sick at all, Allie continued to accept her sister treating her badly as her due. At that point the self-s
Pamela(AllHoney)
First book by this author I've ever read. It was pretty good. It had a slight dark feel to it probably because of the dark issues it contained. I'm not a fan of romances that involve alcoholism. It moved at a good comfortable pace and didn't get bogged down with a lot of filler so it was easy to read.
Sharon
Sharon Moreno This is a story of two extremely emotionally scarred people who find through one another the ability to break the chains that have bound them.

The author has the ability to clearly convey to the reader the emotional torment both H and h have experienced and continue to experience. Her characters are realistic and genuine as well as likeable (with exceptions).

Jefferson Hicks (H) comes on the scene as a drunk. Two years prior he was the sheriff. Then circumstances in his life broke hi
Tal
Sep 25, 2014 Tal rated it liked it
Pretty good, could have been better if the villain wasn't so vile.

description

Basically it started just the way I like it, two broken loners find each other and their connection swerve as their healing process.
Allie lives in an isolated ranch with her fragile sister. Her surrounding refer to them as "The crazy Ford sisters" and she hardly leaves her home. She is stuck with "raising" her 20 year old sister (who behave like a child) and carries some scars from her past.
Jeff was the town Sheriff till one nigh
Suzanne Barrett
Feb 05, 2011 Suzanne Barrett rated it it was amazing
Althea Ford is on a mission she hates–walking into the small Oregon town of Decker Prairie to find a man to help repair the dilapidated house and surrounding land which has all but gone to ruin since her father died. No one has responded to her ad and, desperate, she must brave the curious looks and whispers as she prepares to hire a disreputable man to help her. She knows the things the townspeople say about her and the sister she cares for, not to mention the careless comments about her mother ...more
Lauren
Feb 20, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
I liked Althea's character although I thought she was a little weak but from her upbringing it fits in. Jeff wasn't really my type of hero but I admired his courage and ability to see past what Althea couldn't and help her make her own life.
Jacqueline
A sweet story. Two lonely people find each other and help each other overcome difficult pasts. The plot works and there were no draggy spots. The writing was good and the characterizations well done. Nice historical setting and worth the read.
Linda C
Althea Ford and Jefferson Hicks both have devastating pasts and unsavory reputations. Althea and her unstable sister are referred to as those crazy Ford women and Jeff is a drunkard ex-lawman in 1880s Oregon. When Jeff is catching stealing an egg and the farmer presses charges, his friend Will, the current sheriff, gives him a sentence of labor at Althea's farm. The labor and lack of whiskey dry him out and give him a chance to start fresh if he can deal with his demons. Althea is chained to a l ...more
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Althea Ford is bound by her duty. Her duty to the dead father she disappointed, her beautiful but unstable sister she cares for and the mother she killed. Jefferson Hicks, the former Sheriff is drowning his memories in a whisky bottle, the only thing that seems to numb his ever present guilt and self loathing after he killed someone he cared for. But when circumstances bring Althea and Jeff together they both begin healing from their old wounds as they become closer and fall in love.

What a swe
Darla
Apr 03, 2013 Darla rated it it was ok
This was the umpteenth book I've read by the author, and I have to say, of all the ones previously, this was my least favorite. I don't know, I really couldn't stand our heroine Allie, she bothered me. I cant even really pinpoint the why of it, except there was something about her that turned me off in comparison to other female leads in Harrington's books, and it made me almost put this book down. It was very slow moving in the beginning, she was just so uptight and restrictive, to herself and ...more
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Much better than anything I've read from Harrington in the past. There's a small amount of emotional fuckwittage, but not nearly as much as I've been exposed to in some other works, and the characters were at least somewhat sympathetic. I did find that the antagonists took on almost cartoon villain proportions, and that detracted a bit from the emotional impact, but it was a fairly enjoyable read.
Karen
Oct 29, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sad tale for the most part. Two people imprisoned by memories the first covered by being a drunk, the second by being a perfect care giver, slave for her overbearing father & conniving sister.

The characters were well developed & contrast of the sisters natures/motivations cleverly demonstrated. The hero & heroine finally had hope & fought for it.

Maddux
An enjoyable read. Glad the heroine finally saw the light.

This book had a LOT of mistakes in it - in the Kindle edition that I read. Somebody needs to edit it!

3.5 stars.
LJ
Sep 21, 2007 LJ rated it liked it
Shelves: 1800s, oregon, romance
Allie's Moon - Ok
Alexis Harrington
Althea Ford lives alone with her invalid sister in a crumbling Oregon farmhouse, burdened by sins of the past. Desperate for help, she reluctantly turns to Jefferson Hicks, an ex-lawman who has fallen as low as a man can. But here at Allie's farm, his silent, numb heart suddenly begins to beat again. Drawn to this woman who is as much a prisoner of the past as he, Jeff discovers the healing power of love. But to claim it, they must confront spiteful enemies dete
Sedoo Ashivor
Dec 08, 2015 Sedoo Ashivor rated it really liked it
Very easy book to get into. It held my interest and rewarded me with a very solid, satisfying western romance. Yes, the villain didn't seem much like a villain in the end, and I wish I got to see Olivia Ford's redemption. Still, I enjoyed this one very much!
Pria
Aug 04, 2015 Pria rated it it was ok
much anticipated book... but it was just duh!!! hate when book does this to me .
Allie Grace
Chose it because it's my name, hahah, but it was pretty slow to get to the action and then there was very little action. A cute little story, but Ive read better. :]
Venus Martin
Feb 19, 2013 Venus Martin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook
I loved it! This is the third book I have read by Alexis Harrington. Her stories are not as predictable as others
jo mo
2.5/5

tags: alcoholic, guilt, manipulative sister, suicide, murder, hate, abusive father(s), spinster, feeble-minded
Lori Jordan
Lori Jordan rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Chitradurga Banerjee
Chitradurga Banerjee marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Lisa Jessop
Lisa Jessop marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
yvonne gould
yvonne gould marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Christine Childs
Christine Childs marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Play Book Tag: Allie's Moon - Alexis Harrington - 3 stars 1 6 Mar 14, 2016 12:47PM
  • Parting Gifts
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Conor's Way
  • To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)
  • Lonewolf's Woman (Wild Hearts, #3)
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Marry Me (Marrying Miss Bright, #2)
  • Courting Miss Hattie
  • Cold Night, Warm Stranger
  • Bride of Shadow Canyon (Bride, #1)
  • The Stranger
  • Under the Desert Moon
  • The Way Home
I've been a self-employed working novelist for the past twenty years. Of all the books I've written I've had just one foreign sale, and that was THE IRISH BRIDE, which was translated into Norwegian, where I understand it was a big hit.

I also make jewelry and I'm a fine needlework artist, specializing in embroidery, thread crochet, and sewing. I love to cook, read, entertain friends, decorate, and
More about Alexis Harrington...

“I don't think there's a lonelier feeling than being with someone who has stopped caring.” 2 likes
“Everywhere Althea looked, life was renewing itself. A funny little flutter skittered through her as she crossed the grass. She'd had the same feeling yesterday when she saw Jeff on the roof staring at the horizon. It felt like anticipation, yearning for something, but for the life of her she couldn't understand what it meant.” 0 likes