Start by marking “The Sword of Bheleu (The Lords of Dûs, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sword of Bheleu (The Lords of Dûs, #3)

The Sword of Bheleu (The Lords of Dûs #3)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  340 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The sword that Garth had stolen from Dusarra marked him as the chosen of Bheleu, god of destruction, and gave him immense power. This power could only be used to destroy, and Garth wanted to build. He chose to refuse the god's gift. Bheleu did not intend to allow that.
Mass Market Paperback, 1st ed., 272 pages
Published January 1983 by Ballantine Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Sword of Bheleu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sword of Bheleu

Daniel
Dec 30, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
Pause with me for a moment and admire the silliness of this book's cover...

...gotta love the cheese platter that swords and sandals can provide from time to time.

What I didn't love: middle book syndrome--as in Watt-Evans increasing the amount of exposition while slowing down the pace of the story. The shift crept up on me before I realized that I was bored--bored dammit!--and that nothing of huge import was happening in the story. Then Watt-Evans set up a few bull sessions where characters revie
Nikki
May 05, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Sword of Bheleu slows down a bit from previous books, and focuses on different characters for a while, which isn't actually a good thing. Still, it has you adrift in a sea of moral ambiguity (which may or may not be to your taste, of course), rolling your eyes at fantasy tropes subverted (the mystical vault full of powerful objects, for example) and there's some epic magic slinging going on, too.

What I do really like is the feeling that no detail is incidental. I might be wrong about a coupl
Kate
Jul 11, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Watt-Evans is always so delightful to read. The Sword of Bhelue isn’t very deep or serious, but is sufficiently creative and inventive with just enough weight to feel worth reading. I think it’s part of a series and I will definitely read more of the series when I get a chance to lay my hands on it.

I really enjoyed the interplay of the different kinds of magic and the characters’ mutual ignorance. And while the story isn’t deep, the politics and consequences of ignorant, half-informed leaders ma
Scott C
Sep 02, 2014 Scott C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A good continuation of the tales of Garth, but Garth himself treads a lot of water in this book. The Council of the Most High is where a lot of the action takes place - but thankfully it all comes together in a very satisfying finale, and I'm looking forward to seeing how things progress in the next book.
Kevin Driskill
Mar 26, 2014 Kevin Driskill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Loved this book. There is a short and tasteful recap of earlier work but its brevity makes it a welcome help rather than fluff.Much of the culture which had only been hinted at in the story to date is painted in greater detail in this fascinating series. Sweet twists and sudden turns added to yummy development make this one of my favorites so far. I am starting the last of the series immediately.
Don
Jan 08, 2016 Don rated it really liked it
Slower than the first two, but I guess it had to be in setting up for the forth and final volume.
Colin
Sep 03, 2015 Colin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up as a cheap paperback at a used bookstore, looking for sci-fi and fantasy novels that I might enjoy reading by or in the swimming pool but wouldn't worry too much if I accidentally dropped in the pool! To my surprise though, this was excellent, and now I'm hooked. I'm going to get the whole series through Amazon when I can! Sword-and-sorcery style fantasy, but very well told, or at least very much to my tastes . . .
Kevin Driskill
Oct 14, 2014 Kevin Driskill rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Great plot development in the series. There are wonderful elaborations on characters and new additions. The storyline becomes much more rich and encompasses the mundane and theological aspects of the inner-workings of the culture. Sweet twists and sudden turns make this one of my favorites in the series so far.
Timothy Boyd
Mar 07, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
A very good fantasy series with an interesting storyline and a great main character. Very recommended.
David
Mar 18, 2009 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book two of the story of Garth the overman, Conan-a-like. Develops some major complications which pay off in the remaining two novels.
Jonathan
A series filled with destruction.
Scifimoth
Scifimoth rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Roar Lauritzsen
Roar Lauritzsen rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Mike Butkus
Mike Butkus rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Danel
Danel rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2016
Sean Sandquist
Sean Sandquist rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 04, 2016
Christian Moore
Christian Moore rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2016
Joshua.Kirby
Joshua.Kirby rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2016
K Iwachewski
K Iwachewski rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Hai-Dang
Hai-Dang rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Paulo
Paulo added it
Feb 11, 2016
  • Wurm War (OutCast, #4)
  • The Starfollowers of Coramonde (Coramonde, #2)
  • The War Of Powers
  • The Sixth Book of Lost Swords: Mindsword's Story (Lost Swords, #6)
  • Masks of the Martyrs (Rings of the Master, #4)
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • Realms of the Underdark (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #4)
  • Riddle of the Seven Realms (Magics, #3)
  • A Difficulty with Dwarves (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #1)
  • Alien Blood: Psion / Catspaw (Cat, #1-2)
  • Bard
  • Prophets of the Ghost Ants
  • Bridge of Ashes
  • The Last Day

The Lords of Dûs (4 books)
  • The Lure of the Basilisk (The Lords of Dûs, #1)
  • The Seven Altars of Dûsarra (The Lords of Dûs, #2)
  • The Book of Silence (The Lords of Dûs, #4)