Start by marking “The New Class (Chestnut Hill, #1)” as Want to Read:
The New Class (Chestnut Hill, #1)

The New Class (Chestnut Hill #1)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,095 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
From the author of the popular Heartland books comes a smart, sassy series set at an exclusive, all-girls boarding school in Virginia, where horses--and status--mean everything.

Published August 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Black Beauty by Anna SewellKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryComing Home by Lauren Brooke
Horse Lover's Literature
76th out of 423 books — 148 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryA Horse Called Wonder by Joanna CampbellMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
Best Horse Fiction
74th out of 272 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Jun 01, 2008 Nina rated it did not like it
Hehe... I read this book in 3rd grade and used to love it and I recently happened apon it and read it, and realized how stupid and unrealistic these books are.... however it brought back some third grade memories.....=]
Sep 15, 2008 prettygirl rated it did not like it
they are moving to a new place.Dylan Walsh was sleep on the way and then sth woke up.She saw whitewashedfences on clean green grass.She gotlong rad hair.
Sep 29, 2009 Bryniqua rated it it was amazing
welcome to chestnut hill,a prestigious boarding school.They have a rich tradition of academics,horses and rivalry.THE littl girl that is going to the school is scared a little bit her mom is nice and her dad is nice to.If you read the book it is a good book.
Oct 07, 2008 HiddenSonata rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Horse-lovers, drama-lovers
Recommended to HiddenSonata by: i found out from looking at the back of the "Heartland" series
Shelves: reviewed
"Chestnut Hill" by Lauren Brooke
Dylan Walsh finally gets to go to Chestnut Hill, a boarding school that is advanced on horseback riding. She trys to be friends with one girl, Malory. Malory is keeping something from Dylan and her new friends, Honey and Lani. Dylan trys to figure out the secret, but by trying to find out she ruins her acquaintance, they just met and weren't intirely friends yet. The whole story is based on Dylan's point of view and affect it has on Malory.

I think Lauren, the aut
Apr 16, 2009 Jenna rated it really liked it
Good series. Love Lauren Brooke's books. It's got real information in it that really relates in parts, and also stuff teens will also relate to such as conflicts between friends etc.
Feb 08, 2010 Forest-nymph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cute-and-girly
Omg i loved this series !!!! i read the first 5 or 6 books and enjoyed every moment of them ! i didnt continue because i needed a change because i read all of them one after the other in a short amount of time because they were so brilliant ! . perfect for horse lovers x
Jul 22, 2010 Courtney rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed this book, i love the friendship and horses. I would have love to go to a school like that
Natalie Baghdadlian
This book is about the main character, Dylan, entering a boarding school that she has been wanting to go to for years. This school is known for horse-back riding. Dylan enters the school with a open mind. She wants to make friends and not have any enemies. She meets new people that she can relate to and realizes who her real friends and enemies are.
The main lesson of this book is to teach about hardships and friendships and how making new friends at a new school can be kind of hard. I can relate
May 18, 2011 Virag rated it liked it
Chestnut Hill is the new series from the author of Heartland. There's only half a dozen books, but I read and liked them all. I also liked that the girls were sixth graders like I was when I read these books, haha. The only weird thing is that there seemed to be a big deal about dating between some of the characters, and they were like, 11 or 12. That was a bit unnecessary - they're so young, why should they be worried about getting boyfriends?
Anyway, pretty good horse series for ages 9-12.
Jul 05, 2012 Twyla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auryn-s-books
Nov 09, 2011 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this series after I finished reading Heartland. I didn't like it as much but they are still pretty good books. They are also small so good if you just want something quick and fun to read.
Dylan is super excited about going to the Chestnut Hill boarding school, which has one of the best equestrian programs in the country. She's less excited that her aunt Ali just got hired as the riding instructor there - worried that the other girls will think she's getting special treatment. Unfortunately, it seems like Ali is being harder on her than on the other girls, like perfect (and rich and snotty) Lyndsey, and secretive scholarship student Malory. When Dylan decides to take a dare that g ...more
Jul 13, 2012 Molly rated it liked it
I'm 29 years old, so this book is clearly not meant for me. However, as a former Saddle Club and Thoroughbred addict, when I come across a horse YA book, I tend to pick it up. And I have to say, I really liked this one. The teenagers, for the most part, act like teenagers. Dylan, bratty though she can be, is so delightfully realistic it's easy enough to overlook or even enjoy her bad attitude. Most of the horse book tropes are neatly avoided, though we do have the token mean girl.

One thing I lo
Picked this up at an op-shop because it was 2 books for $1... that was about the extent of my reasoning ;) It was pretty decent actually, but way more fun if you're into horses because there's LOTS of horsey-speak! I was never into horses but I kind of liked The Saddle Club when I was younger. They're definitely the superior horse-group :P Though Dylan herself wasn't that bad, and I really liked Lani... Honey would have been cool if she hadn't had such an annoying nickname! As far as mean girls ...more
Jun 25, 2012 Hayley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Good quick YA read, I read it for the horses! I read the authors other series when i was younger (Heartland - loved the cameo from Amy as well!) and only discovered this one recently. I did enjoy this one, some of it was predictable (but then i am older then the intended YA!), and there was one thing that wasnt resolved, so I guess I'll have to read no. 2!
Jul 15, 2012 depletive rated it did not like it
Shelves: hate
I didn't really liked this. I found that there was no interesting things about it. I do like horses to SOME extent, but this actually lowered it. Black Beauty is a good one though.
Dec 29, 2013 Aiyana rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, january-14
Dylan Walsh is ecstatic when she finds out she will be attending Chestnut Hill boarding school. She is especially happy to start riding horses, one in particular. Dylan soon meets many new friends, and maybe even one enemy. Dylan learns that she cannot trust everyone she meets, and she hopes that she can make the riding team. Will Dylan make it?

I picked this book up because I won it at my last school. I've had it for a while but it never really interested me.

I finished this book because I wante
Mar 30, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A promising start to a cute horsy-series.
The book is well written, the plot thought through and the characters seem well developed, though possibly a bit too well-adjusted for 12year old Boarding School Girls.
Jan 25, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
This was a great teen novel that combines horses <3 with competitive girl cliques. It is a nice ode to friendship, riding and some bad-girl attitude!
Note: I purchased a used copy of this book at a charity second-hand store local to my home. I did not purchase the book new.

SYNOPSIS: Welcome to Chestnut Hill, a prestigious boarding school with a rich tradition of academics, horses, and rivalry. This year, five girls from different backgrounds will challenge the Chestnut Hill stereotype. There's witty, spunky Dylan; secretive Malory; western tomboy Lani; Honey, the soft-spoken Brit; and polished New Yorker Razina. None is prepared for the socia
Lexee Dorman
Apr 25, 2014 Lexee Dorman rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was a lot like the Canterwood Crest series. I read the entire Heartland series by this author and liked them a lot, but not as much as I liked this one.
Nov 28, 2014 infinity9 rated it it was amazing
I read a couple of the books from this series when I was younger and looked all over for more of them. I loved them; a lot more so than the Heartland series.
I thought the characters were witty and entertaining, and realistic for 13 year olds. Also, the portrayal of show jumping and the competitiveness of it was pretty realistic, as I'm an equestrian. Dylan Walsh is spunky and talented and very easy to like. They also do a lot of juggling of riding, schoolwork, and a social life, which is 100% t
Rebecca S
Chestnut Hill, a high- quality boarding school with a rich tradition of academics, horses, and rivalry. This year, five girls from different backgrounds will challenge the Chestnut Hill sterotype. There’s witty, spunky Dylan; secretive Malory; western tomboy Lani; Honey, the soft-spoken Brit; and polished New Yorker Razina. None is prepared for the social or riding , and they all doubt they will fit in. They won’t fit in, if queen bee Lynsey and her group have any say. But if this unlikely fives ...more
Feb 25, 2015 Lara rated it it was amazing
I read the whole heartland series when I was young, and loved them, but not how short they were. Even as a ten year old, I liked longer books to read, and was quite the bookworm. But I loved this series, and still remember the vivid descriptions the author used which caught me from the beginning. Even though this is a bit young of a series for me now, I still remember it fondly.
Aug 05, 2015 Claire rated it liked it
Shelves: horses
I feel like tearing something apart, so Lauren Brooke, watch out. You may want to avert your eyes. I would primarily like to state that I have never been enamored with the Heartland series, but I had hoped for more from this. The unwavering admiration for the heroine of Heartland the girls of this book have is shameful advertising of Brooke’s other series and is borderline religious in its devotion to the “alternative” methods central to the Heartland books. And since this girl is a vet student, ...more
I have found a new Boarding School + Horses series to read!

Yay! I finally got this book, it was a trial to get it (first Amazon didn’t have it the regular way, then I had to get it from their marketplace, and finally after a few weeks I got the book!). I guess the other books will also be hell to get, this edition (the one with the ribbon) is the only one that is available at all, and only at the marketplace. Oh well, it will be a fun quest.

Let me get started on what I thought of the book. I wa
Oct 25, 2015 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dylan is sent to this private school were you mainly learn about horses and Dylan has been dreaming to go. Her aunt works there. Dylan makes friends with some girls but she makes bad delicious and decides to play truth or dare and gets dared to go outside at night and ride her horse, which leads to her getting in major trouble. She gets a week of afternoon and evening detentions and 2 weeks of not being able to ride. Which would only give her a week to prepare for the junior jumping team tryouts ...more
Sarah Lonsdale
Sep 21, 2016 Sarah Lonsdale rated it really liked it
I thought this was a pretty good book
Aug 20, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
I got this book for free a couple years ago, and it's a pretty fun read especially if you are amused by drama in books like I am! If you loved Canterwood Crest, you're sure to love Chestnut Hill. Teen girls+ horses+ drama= Chestnut Hill.

Meet Dylan, your average horse loving girl. She's sent to Chestnut Hill, a private boarding school that she's been dreaming of for years. She's a bit upset that her aunt just got employed as a riding instructor there, she doesn't want the other girls to think she
  • Sundancer
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • Unhappy Appy (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #5)
  • Horse Show (Saddle Club, #8)
  • Blind Beauty
  • On the Track (Thoroughbred, #34)
  • Whirlwind
  • Take the Reins (Canterwood Crest, #1)
  • The Horse Charmer (Phantom Stallion: Wild Horse Island, #1)
  • Dream of Night
Lauren Brooke grew up in a ranch in Virginia and now lives in Leicestershire, England. Her husband is a veterinarian who specializes in horses. Her books have been published by Scholastic since Mid-2000, starting with the first book of the Heartland book series. The first book of her popular Chestnut Hill series was published in 2005.

According to an interview on scholastics' website, Lauren Brooke
More about Lauren Brooke...

Chestnut Hill (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Making Strides (Chestnut Hill, #2)
  • Heart of Gold (Chestnut Hill, #3)
  • Playing for Keeps (Chestnut Hill, #4)
  • The Scheme Team (Chestnut Hill, #5)
  • All or Nothing (Chestnut Hill, #6)
  • Chasing Dreams (Chestnut Hill, #7)
  • A Time to Remember (Chestnut Hill, #8)
  • Helping Hands (Chestnut Hill, #9)
  • Racing Hearts (Chestnut Hill, #10)
  • A Chance to Shine (Chestnut Hill, #11)