The New Class (Chestnut Hill, #1)

The New Class (Chestnut Hill #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  724 ratings  ·  41 reviews
From the author of the popular Heartland books comes a smart, sassy series set at an exclusive, all-girls boarding school in Virginia, where horses--and status--mean everything.

Published August 1st 2005 by Scholastic Paperbacks

Black Beauty by Anna SewellKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryComing Home by Lauren Brooke
Horse Lover's Literature
66th out of 293 books — 109 voters
The Black Stallion by Walter FarleyBlack Beauty by Anna SewellKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenrySon of the Black Stallion by Walter FarleyThe Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt by Walter Farley
Horse Themed Stories for Older Kids
37th out of 121 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Virag
Chestnut Hill is the new series from the author of Heartland. There's only half a dozen books, but I read and liked them all. I also liked that the girls were sixth graders like I was when I read these books, haha. The only weird thing is that there seemed to be a big deal about dating between some of the characters, and they were like, 11 or 12. That was a bit unnecessary - they're so young, why should they be worried about getting boyfriends?
Anyway, pretty good horse series for ages 9-12.
Amanda
Note: I purchased a used copy of this book at a charity second-hand store local to my home. I did not purchase the book new.

SYNOPSIS: Welcome to Chestnut Hill, a prestigious boarding school with a rich tradition of academics, horses, and rivalry. This year, five girls from different backgrounds will challenge the Chestnut Hill stereotype. There's witty, spunky Dylan; secretive Malory; western tomboy Lani; Honey, the soft-spoken Brit; and polished New Yorker Razina. None is prepared for the socia...more
HiddenSonata
Oct 07, 2008 HiddenSonata rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horse-lovers, drama-lovers
Recommended to HiddenSonata by: i found out from looking at the back of the "Heartland" series
Shelves: reviewed
"Chestnut Hill" by Lauren Brooke
Dylan Walsh finally gets to go to Chestnut Hill, a boarding school that is advanced on horseback riding. She trys to be friends with one girl, Malory. Malory is keeping something from Dylan and her new friends, Honey and Lani. Dylan trys to figure out the secret, but by trying to find out she ruins her acquaintance, they just met and weren't intirely friends yet. The whole story is based on Dylan's point of view and affect it has on Malory.

I think Lauren, the aut...more
Molly
I'm 29 years old, so this book is clearly not meant for me. However, as a former Saddle Club and Thoroughbred addict, when I come across a horse YA book, I tend to pick it up. And I have to say, I really liked this one. The teenagers, for the most part, act like teenagers. Dylan, bratty though she can be, is so delightfully realistic it's easy enough to overlook or even enjoy her bad attitude. Most of the horse book tropes are neatly avoided, though we do have the token mean girl.

One thing I lo...more
Natalie Baghdadlian
This book is about the main character, Dylan, entering a boarding school that she has been wanting to go to for years. This school is known for horse-back riding. Dylan enters the school with a open mind. She wants to make friends and not have any enemies. She meets new people that she can relate to and realizes who her real friends and enemies are.
The main lesson of this book is to teach about hardships and friendships and how making new friends at a new school can be kind of hard. I can relate...more
Sally
Picked this up at an op-shop because it was 2 books for $1... that was about the extent of my reasoning ;) It was pretty decent actually, but way more fun if you're into horses because there's LOTS of horsey-speak! I was never into horses but I kind of liked The Saddle Club when I was younger. They're definitely the superior horse-group :P Though Dylan herself wasn't that bad, and I really liked Lani... Honey would have been cool if she hadn't had such an annoying nickname! As far as mean girls...more
Aiyana
Dylan Walsh is ecstatic when she finds out she will be attending Chestnut Hill boarding school. She is especially happy to start riding horses, one in particular. Dylan soon meets many new friends, and maybe even one enemy. Dylan learns that she cannot trust everyone she meets, and she hopes that she can make the riding team. Will Dylan make it?

I picked this book up because I won it at my last school. I've had it for a while but it never really interested me.

I finished this book because I wante...more
Lexee Dorman
I loved this book. It was a lot like the Canterwood Crest series. I read the entire Heartland series by this author and liked them a lot, but not as much as I liked this one.
Megan
This was a great teen novel that combines horses <3 with competitive girl cliques. It is a nice ode to friendship, riding and some bad-girl attitude!
Hayley
Jun 25, 2012 Hayley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Good quick YA read, I read it for the horses! I read the authors other series when i was younger (Heartland - loved the cameo from Amy as well!) and only discovered this one recently. I did enjoy this one, some of it was predictable (but then i am older then the intended YA!), and there was one thing that wasnt resolved, so I guess I'll have to read no. 2!
ƒяєєѕσυℓ
Forest-nymph
Omg i loved this series !!!! i read the first 5 or 6 books and enjoyed every moment of them ! i didnt continue because i needed a change because i read all of them one after the other in a short amount of time because they were so brilliant ! . perfect for horse lovers x
Bryniqua
welcome to chestnut hill,a prestigious boarding school.They have a rich tradition of academics,horses and rivalry.THE littl girl that is going to the school is scared a little bit her mom is nice and her dad is nice to.If you read the book it is a good book.
Twyla
Nina
Hehe... I read this book in 3rd grade and used to love it and I recently happened apon it and read it, and realized how stupid and unrealistic these books are.... however it brought back some third grade memories.....=]
Megan
I started reading this series after I finished reading Heartland. I didn't like it as much but they are still pretty good books. They are also small so good if you just want something quick and fun to read.
Gabriella E.
This begins a great sereies by Lauren Brooke, alot better than Heartland, I say, and I wish Dylan was a real person, we'd have fun together, and I also wish Chestnut Hill was real, I'D GO THERE!!!!!
Draco Malfoy
I didn't really liked this. I found that there was no interesting things about it. I do like horses to SOME extent, but this actually lowered it. Black Beauty is a good one though.
Jenna
Good series. Love Lauren Brooke's books. It's got real information in it that really relates in parts, and also stuff teens will also relate to such as conflicts between friends etc.
Mas5thgrade2012
This book was great!!! I think that the main charachter was really lucky for going to an all horse school. I recomend this book to people who like horses.
~Horse29~
prettygirl
they are moving to a new place.Dylan Walsh was sleep on the way and then sth woke up.She saw whitewashedfences on clean green grass.She gotlong rad hair.
McKenzie
These books were actually a huge part of my childhood. If you read this and didn't dream about going to Chestnut Hill for school, you're lying.
Katharina
Jan 22, 2012 Katharina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katharina by: Clare Bischoff
Dylan Walsh is a first-time student at Chestnut Hill and longs to make friends with both people and horses. Great introduction to the series.
Sophia Smithstanza
I thought it was good but hard to understand. Because you could read her thoughts and what is going on. That always seems hard for me.
Amanda Petrucelli
Tried this for my daughter who is going into third-grade. The vocab is ok, but the story is too mature for her.
Emily Bailey
It's been many years since I first read this book. I think it's a little predictable, but I enjoyed it.
Courtney
i really enjoyed this book, i love the friendship and horses. I would have love to go to a school like that
Brittany Humphrey
This is a very good book. I recommend this if u enjoy reading about horses,and life around school.
Sierra
I will not swap any of my bools for keeps, and expect them back just as i had them.
Emma
Chestnut Hill is a good series; not as good as Heartland, but still very good.
  • Sundancer (Saddle Creek, #1)
  • A Horse of Her Own
  • On the Track (Thoroughbred, #34)
  • Wild Thing (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #1)
  • Take the Reins (Canterwood Crest, #1)
  • Horse Crazy (Saddle Club, #1)
  • Mustang Moon (Phantom Stallion, #2)
  • Blind Beauty
  • Shadow Horse
  • Dream of Night
Lauren Brooke grew up in a ranch in Virginia and now lives in Leicestershire, England. Her husband is a veterinarian who specializes in horses. Her books have been published by Scholastic since Mid-2000, starting with the first book of the Heartland book series. The first book of her popular Chestnut Hill series was published in 2005.

According to an interview on scholastics' website, Lauren Brooke...more
More about Lauren Brooke...
Coming Home (Heartland, #1) After the Storm (Heartland, #2) Breaking Free (Heartland, #3) Taking Chances (Heartland, #4) Come What May (Heartland, #5)