Start by marking “Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1)

Hammered (Jenny Casey #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  1,513 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Once Jenny Casey was somebody’s daughter. Once she was somebody’s enemy. Now the former Canadian special forces warrior lives on the hellish streets of Hartford, Connecticut, in the year 2062. Racked with pain, hiding from the government she served, running with a crime lord so she can save a life or two, Jenny is a month shy of fifty, and her artificially reconstructed bo ...more
Published December 28th 2004 by Spectra (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hammered, please sign up.

Megan Baxter
Dec 05, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it
It's funny. I got a fair ways into this book, and had a moment where I realized that Jenny Casey is very much like a character a friend has been playing in a game I've been running, about revolution on Mars. Said friend has never read Elizabeth Bear, to the best of my knowledge, but the synchronicity was startling. I've told her now she should read this. I think she'd get even more out of it than I did.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and en
Sandi
Feb 14, 2009 Sandi rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sandi by: Beyond Reality BOTM
Shelves: sci-fi, 2009
I find it really hard to believe that Hammered was Elizabeth Bear's first novel. The plot was so tight; the characters were so interesting; and the story was both intriguing and exciting. It was one of those books that took great willpower to put down when I to go do other things. I have read and listened to a few short stories by Bear that I thought were fantastic. It's nice to see that she handles the novel format just as well.

Jenny Casey is a protagonist that I can relate to. She's a middle-a
Carolyn
Dec 25, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it
This is a terrific debut novel. Set in the near future, 2062 with Jenny Casey, a 49 y old, Canadian female retired soldier as protaganist. Following a horrific accident in which she lost an eye and an arm, Jenny's body is part cyborg and neurologically enhanced for faster reaction times. However, now she is retired and has taken refuge in the US where she is trying to deal with the pain she still suffers without the addictive drugs provided by the army. In the US civilization has falling apart, ...more
Chris
Apr 18, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Wealhtheow
Jenny Casey is a war hero, but she's also a middle-aged woman with increasingly debilitating disabilities and a drug habit. Then tainted batches of Hammer (the combat drug she was addicted to) pop up on the streets of her home town. While her friends trace the drug back to its source, Jenny is coerced into joining a dangerous research project.

I really wanted to like this book, but it frustrated me all too often. This is the first in a trilogy, but there's a lot of backstory to this universe. I
Tamahome
Apr 14, 2014 Tamahome rated it liked it

I liked the kindle sample. Seems to be gritty cyberpunk with a lot of women characters.

Status updates:

9% "Stares at my tits, laughs at my jokes, the boy knows the way to an old woman’s heart."
20% "If you live long enough, you eventually put a real fine point on what you’re willing to do to stay alive—and what you’re willing to sell. The first thing I sold was my body—first on the street, then to the army once I got old enough. Later on, I graduated to selling the intangibles. I like to think I s
Diane
Apr 02, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
I've read several stories by Elizabeth Bear and often read her blog, so I was curious how she would handle long-form story telling. I was not disappointed.

This is a tight story, fast-paced and exciting. It has all sorts of elements that I really enjoy in my SF: female protagonists who are "real", robots - or in this case AIs and cyborg elements for the humans, dystopian society, space exploration. This is very definitely a hard SF novel, but the story is really character-centric and Bear doesn'
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Apr 15, 2014 Jenny (Reading Envy) marked it as did-not-finish
Recommended to Jenny (Reading Envy) by: Tamahome
Tamahome brought this book to Episode 5 of the Reading Envy podcast, so I tried it in a round of speed-dating my books. Ultimately it wasn't really my style, as I'm just never able to get into military anything, aging cyborg or not. I know the author writes in a lot of styles, so I will probably try something else by her someday.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
A plausible near-future book but not the most original novel I've read. I'm interested enough that I may read the next book. Not sure, though, it's not something I'm dying to do. We'll see.
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I grew up near Hartford, and I have to say that there was very little that appealed to me. Sure, it has insurance companies and.... and.... umm.... a river. Anyway, after giving it some thought, I figured, "Why not Hartford?" After all, if the United States has collapsed under its own weight to the point where Canada has to come in and do peacekeeping operations, Hartford is probably even more of a hell-hole than most other more made-for-fiction cities. I'm sure Ms. Bear had the same thought, si ...more
Michelle
a very solid 4.5 stars, dinged mostly by the climactic ending - have the 2nd book ready to hand if you pick this one up.

some day, i'm going to have to remember to mark down WHO has recommended these gems to me. this is one of so many books that got buried on mount TBR (for 2 years!), and if only i knew who had told me that Elizabeth Bear was amazing, that person/s would be getting large hugs from me today.

"hard" SF generally focuses on speculating the nuts and bolts of future technology, and it
Gaijinmama
Dec 15, 2012 Gaijinmama rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I actually picked this one up for a reading challenge, which asked us to choose a book set in the place we were born. Well, let me tell you, there are not a heck of a lot of science fiction books where even part of the action takes place in Hartford, Connecticut!
In the not-too-distant future, Hartford is a hellhole. OK, that's believable. Certain parts of the city were headed that way even when I was a kid in the '80's.
Another cool thing: in this version of the future, Canada is a superpower. S
heidi
Feb 16, 2012 heidi rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, scifi, reviewed, wiscon
We all bring the books that we have read before to the books we read now. I am certainly no different. So when I say that this book felt like a loving homage to Trouble and Her Friends, with a flip of Fool's War, please understand it that is a commendation.
"A holstered equation hung at his hip, and his pockets were heavy with binary. His eyes lighted as they fastened on the bartender, and he came up against the brass rail like a knife against a butcher’s steel while patrons turned to look, and j
Victoria
Jan 03, 2011 Victoria rated it liked it
Recommended to Victoria by: Siri
This wasn't the easiest book in the world to get into, but once I did, I found the characters compelling and the future world vivid and unique.

Set in a world where the US has crumbled and Canada has become the major military superpower of North America, this is a strange, (almost) dystopian story about a former soldier who is breaking down under the wear and tear to her decade-old cybernetic modifications, and the scheming former superior officer who wants her back under his thumb and working to
Sherwood Smith
May 13, 2009 Sherwood Smith added it
Shelves: sf
'd already discovered her writing in some short stories; the one I really liked-in fact it was my favorite of the anthology-was her zeppelin story taking place in Chinese history for Zeppelin Adventure Stories. My expectations were high, and she met them head on.

Jenny Casey is near fifty, a combat-traumatized soldier living in a very grim future Hartford, Connecticut. Her extensive cyberware is going bad, there are ugly drugs being dispersed on the streets of her town and the local ganglord-a fr
LindaJ^
Nov 30, 2014 LindaJ^ rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Canada is the most powerful "free" world nation and engaged in a battle with China to be the first to successfully launch a star (not a space) ship, using "technology" discovered in two alien ships seeming left for humans on Mars. Yes, humans are in space and have a base on Mars.

Jenny Casey is retired from the Canadian military. She's a couple of months shy of 50 and is feeling the effects of aging - both in her human parts and in her cyborg parts. Jenny has many serious military decorations fr
Celia
Nov 12, 2007 Celia rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Jenny Casey is an old soldier. She's middle aged, in constant pain due to her artificially reconstructed body, and suffers from vivid flashbacks. The appearance of a deadly new drug on the street alarms her, as does a murdered police officer, and Jenny Casey starts asking questions. Soon she realises that several people seem to have plans for her, and they're certainly not telling her all of the truth.

There's a couple of subplots (that spin their way together into the one major plot), with diff
Aug 30, 2007 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci fi fans
Shelves: summerreads, fluff
I've been reading Elizabeth Bear's blog for several months now and finally decided to pick up one of her novels. I was afraid to read one for a while, worried that I wouldn't enjoy her fiction as much as her blog. I needn't have worried.

Jenny (what a great name), the main character, is a Candadian veteran, an ex-addict and current alcoholic and at least half machine. She buries herself in the Hartford (another excellent choice; did I mention Bear lives in West Hartford?) underground, befriend mo
Katrina
I quite liked this book, particular as it was set partially in Canada and that's always a nice ego boost to a Canadian reading an American author. My only issue with it was the bits worded in French. Many of them weren't correct, and these completely yanked me out of my "suspension of disbelief" mode. This also happens to me when watching a movie where the director has hired an English-speaker to put on a simulated French accent, which falls apart the minute the actor actually has to speak Frenc ...more
Dec 17, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Jenny Casey is an obsolete Canadian cyborg struggling to maintain a little humanity in a near-future dystopia. Instead, after a few mysterious deaths and the reemergence of several sociopaths from her tortured history, she finds herself sucked into a dark conspiracy for control of humanity’s destiny. A multitude of richly textured characters (even the ghost of Richard Feynman) and a deftly unfolded storyline more than make up for the irritatingly untranslated French passages. There is an awful l ...more
Sara
May 09, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this -- it's the first book in a LONG while that's made me consistently (and accidentally) read past the end of my break.
When I was telling him the plot, Michael said it was made up of a whole bunch of cliches, but I disagree. I am of the opinion that it's only a cliche if you do it poorly. Also, the end(ish) featured one of the best locations for a fight I've ever read.
Looking forward to the other two.
Andrew
Feb 01, 2009 Andrew added it
From the little I've seen of Hartford and Canada, the pretense to Bear's story seems...appropriate. Jenny's vulnerability and self-medication - along with the pervasive role Unitek plays in the story of a damaged Earth - keeps the plot believable. This book served me well as bedtime reading from start to finish.
Dawn
Apr 28, 2011 Dawn rated it did not like it
This series looked so interesting that I bought all three books at once. Too bad this turned out to be a waste of money.
The story in and of its self was good but much as I wanted to like this book, the writing style and story telling defeated me and I stopped reading about halfway through.

Sep 14, 2007 Sarah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-fi fans who love a good heroine
I read Elizabeth Bear's livejournal, so I'm a little biased, but Jenny Casey is a great character, and Bear is great at my favorite trick - making things clear without spelling everything out. Her characters feel like real people and this story has momentum and surprises.
Feb 20, 2014 Laura rated it did not like it
this book was so boring and confusing and way too sci fi for me, and I should've quit reading it. but I don't quit books. I regret it tho since I got to the end and there was no resolution, I guess since its a series. boo.
Kelly
Mar 28, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
Just ordered the next book, I have to know what happens next!
Terrell Barrett
Dec 31, 2016 Terrell Barrett rated it it was amazing
freaking loved this
Jana
Dec 30, 2016 Jana rated it it was amazing
4.5
Darla Stokes
I really wanted to love this one--it came highly recommended, and it has all these elements that should make me love it: primarily the science-fiction-futuristic setting and the action plot.

Unfortunately, I found myself not looking forward to getting back to the book whenever I'd put it down, favoring playing DS games until late and only reading for 5 - 10 minutes before falling asleep.

So I did some thinking about why I didn't love this book when I should have. It mostly comes down to the way
Coolcurry
I liked Hammered. I read all of it, but for whatever reason, it failed to create an emotional impact in me. The set up was interesting and so were the characters, but not enough is done with them. The book ends right when it seems like the plot should start to pick up. Truthfully, this is more like half a book. It doesn’t give you a climax or a conclusion, it’s all build up.

Hammered is centered around Jenny Casey, a former solider who has been modified with machinery after a helicopter accident.
Science Fiction A...: * Hammered (Jenny Casey #1) 24 43 Feb 23, 2015 08:13AM
  • City of Pearl (Wess'har Wars, #1)
  • Code of Conduct (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #1)
  • Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1)
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • Spin State (Spin Trilogy, #1)
  • Reclamation
  • Turning Point (Sholan Alliance, #1)
  • Pathfinder (Major Ariane Kedros, #3)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • Expendable (League of Peoples, #1)
  • Warchild (Warchild, #1)
  • Bio Rescue (Bio Rescue, #1)
  • The Myriad (Tour of the Merrimack, #1)
  • Schism (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #10; The Triad, #1)
  • Alanya to Alanya
  • Crystal Rain (Xenowealth, #1)
What Goodreads really needs is a "currently WRITING" option for its default bookshelves...
More about Elizabeth Bear...

Jenny Casey (3 books)
  • Scardown (Jenny Casey, #2)
  • Worldwired (Jenny Casey, #3)