Worldwired (Jenny Casey, #3)

Worldwired (Jenny Casey #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  500 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Give Canada's Master Warrant Officer Jenny Casey an inch and she'll take a galaxy. That's just the kind of person a world on the brink of destruction needs. The year is 2063, and Earth has been brutalized. An asteroid flung at Toronto by the PanChinese government has killed tens of millions and left the equivalent of a nuclear explosion in its wake. Humanity must find anot...more
Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Published November 29th 2005 by Spectra (first published January 1st 2005)

Tamora Pierce
The world is reeling from the arrival of the Benefactors, the aliens whose nano-devices are reconstructing the world's ecology as well as fueling the AIs that are running its starships and counseling the Canadian government. This book is too widespread for me to say anything more--Jenny and her prime minister have to come before the UN to testify as to China's involvement in the attack that destroyed Toronto, left millions dead in Canada and the U.S., and landed a big chunk of iron-rich rock in...more
Liam Proven
Finally finished book 3 - too many other calls on my time, sadly.

Very impressed. It does show in places that this was a first-published-work trilogy, but it's deft and confident for all that. Book 1 felt a bit too schizophrenic, trying too hard; book 2 drops a redundant plot strand and pulls it together; book 3 feels noticeably more confident. Overall, though, very confident and assured maiden effort. It brings together a dystopian near-future, first contact, BDOs, interesting AI speculation, na...more
Victoria
Feb 25, 2011 Victoria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Victoria by: Siri
There was something about these books that kept me from ever getting really hooked... maybe that they forced me to think as I was reading them, and that felt a bit too much like work! But they were terrifically enjoyable whenever I had the book in my hand, and I would definitely recommend the trilogy to SFF fans with an interest in something just a bit different. Great characters, interesting and utterly non-humanoid aliens, frightening action and tech. Torontonians may especially get a kick out...more
Jjlupa
In retrospect, I very much enjoyed this series, and look forward to exploring the rest of Elizabeth Bears bibliography. She has a knack for developing enjoyable characters, and spinning a generally good narrative.

Having a small mancrush on Dr. Richard Feynman will get you far in this series as well.

Were I to pick nits, I'd talk about how disused characters get the meat-grinder ending fairly casually, or about how sometimes some things happen which aren't very plausible (I'll just leave that stat...more
Candace
I loved this entire series. Great characters, I almost immediately liked and was rooting for Jenny Casey. The entire AI personality of Richard was great. Some sad and poignant moments. I can't say I'm a huge sci-fi fan but this was more of a drama with a sci-fi setting. Some of the political maneuvering was confusing to me but it didn't detract or distract me from the overall story much so I just ignored those brief bits. May have been that I just didn't retain parts from the earlier two novels...more
Lorena
While this was a satisfying ending to the series, it wasn't my favorite book of the three. I think that may be because a handful of characters were killed off and new characters brought in, and the new characters were so similar in thought and speech patterns to each other that I kept confusing who was who towards the end (as far as the three male scientists and the two female politicians). But don't let that deter you, because overall the three books were very enjoyable (as evidenced by my read...more
Jan 16, 2012 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Since China threw an asteroid at Toronto, cyborg pilot Jenny Casey has had her hands full trying to keep WWIV from erupting. She’s not the only one with a busy schedule; her AI friend Richard is using a worldwide nanite infestation to try to ameliorate the climatic effects of the Chinese attack, and an assortment of brilliant scientists are scrambling to establish contact with the various aliens loitering in orbit. A fittingly jam-packed conclusion to a frenetic trilogy, but mercifully much of t...more
Michelle

still doesn't quite live up to the awesomeness of the first one, but this story of first contact and AIs and nanotech ends quite solidly. two wildly different alien ships arrive above the air of a war-torn and climate-damaged earth, and neither the alien tech nor the complex geopolitical tension stories play a 2nd fiddle to the other. it's a much richer story than your standard adventure or military SF, with nuanced characters rather than clear cut good vs evil.
Bryan457
This series ground to an awfully slow conclusion for a book with nanobot enhanced cyborgs, Artificial Intelligence, alien contact and emerging faster than light travel.
Michael Christopher
Corporate treason, international espionage and contact with space-faring races unfurls before readers as they watch from the perspectives of some of the most well-written characters in fiction. Personalities, motivations and philosophical discussions are rendered in brilliant detail by Bear's hand as she brings her début trilogy to a thrilling, satisfying close.
Joy
I was very disappointed in the ending of this tale. Aliens appear but their story goes no where with major mistakes made by the supposed scientists who engage the aliens,(remember small pox and the Native Americans? They apparently never heard that story.) Action only in the last 60 pages and that's all human politics.
Stuart
Mentioned a number times, great chunks of French text. I don't speak French, so I had to go online and get a translation many times, which really broke the flow of the novel as I was reading. Have to ask, when the book was translated to French, were the French bits changed to English or German or whatever?
G33z3r
"WorldWired" provides a slam-bang conclusion to the trilogy that began with "Hammered" and continued with "Scardown". Elizabeth Bear manages to combine cyberpunk, first-contact, politics and action into a single, highly-integrated story. The last two hundred pages I couldn't put it down.
JoyfulK
Riveting, cutting-edge SF with interesting characters & relationships. I came into this novel without reading the two prior in the trilogy, but was able to come up to speed quickly. Bear weaves exposition for the uninitiated seamlessly into action.
LeslieFH
Excellent political hard SF conclusion to a trilogy that started out as post-cyberpunk thriller in the first volume and turned into hard SF space war and first contact story in the second one.
A satisfying conclusion to the series. Bear has a fascinating way of describing the interplay between human and machine. This whole series is an amazing projection of where humans might be headed.
Lucas
I took too long between books two and three of this series and forgot a lot of relevant plot points. Lucky for me, there's a big courtroom drama toward the end.
Kristin Lundgren
The last of the Jenny Casey trilogy, it is a wonderful glimpse into a different near-future Earth, one where China and Canada are the super powers.
Kris
Good wrap-up to the series, I liked how the aliens seemed actually alien, not just humanoids with bumpy foreheads. :)
Jill
Jun 30, 2009 Jill rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Good ending to the trilogy - she wrapped the story up appropriately. Neat aliens ideas.
Richard
A good ending for this series, I would recommend the series to a friend.
Deanna Knippling
The last third felt disjointed, but a good ending to a fun series.
Carol Lindsey
Great series. Please write more Sci Fi, E Bear. Please.
Becky
Yes, yes, yes. LOVED this series.
Lynn Calvin
ereader ebook
A perfect ending.
Allison Henle
Allison Henle marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
  • Burndive (Warchild #2)
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Beholder's Eye (Web Shifters, #1)
  • Code of Conduct (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #1)
  • Toast
  • Strength and Honor (Tour of the Merrimack, #4)
  • Brightness Falls from the Air
  • Hellburner (Company Wars, #5)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Mars Crossing
  • This Alien Shore
Elizabeth Bear was born on the same day as Frodo and Bilbo Baggins, but in a different year. This, coupled with a childhood tendency to read the dictionary for fun, led her inevitably to penury, intransigence, the mispronunciation of common English words, and the writing of speculative fiction.

She lives in Massachusetts with a Giant Ridiculous Dog. Her partner, acclaimed fantasy author Scott Lynch...more
More about Elizabeth Bear...
Range of Ghosts (Eternal Sky, #1) Hammered (Jenny Casey, #1) Dust (Jacob's Ladder, #1) New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1) Blood and Iron (Promethean Age, #1)